X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ I am Death ❯ I must know ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Marvel characters.
 
Setting: Charles Xavier's school for the gifted (post X-2)
 
Main Character: Grim reaper (aka:Rose) & John Allerdyce (aka: Pyro)
 
Rating: Currently: T (for language)
 
Spoilers: Major spoilers for X-3 and some for the other two films
 
Summary: The grim reaper is bored, and decides to discover what 'life' really is. She has chosen Pyro to be the one to teach her this secret of 'life', but she never imagined what would happen if he got more than 'friendly' feelings for her.
 
I am Death
-----
 
Chapter 1: I must know
 
I have seen so much, and as it seems, I have seen too much to bear. So much have been lost, so many lives ruined, illusions scattered and souls have been wasted. And for it all, I have been the one to blame.
The only time you get to meet me is when I have come to fetch you, when your time is up. Our meeting will always be a `hello' and a `farewell' at the same time. The only light you will se on our walk will be the one at the other side.
But whilst you will enter the divine, in peace or strife, I must remain here. I am caught, imprisoned by the chains forged from my treachery, an eternity ago.
 
Those who say that God is forgiveness are fools. God does not forgive, nor does he forget. Though forever has come and passed, he still remembers my mistake.
So do not ever forget that you pay for all that you give, and all you that receive. In the end, I will come for you too, and you will walk the path before you, with me as your only companion. And when you stand before the light, all your debts will be countered for, and you shall be judged. Whether your verdict is guilty or innocent, you will pay for your deeds, whilst I will remain here. Doomed to wander the shadows, I will pay off my dept.
 
 
With time, I have grown weary. Countless of times, my victims have stated:
“I want to live.” and with time, I must admit that I have become rather interested in this thing, life.
I am tired of faces with no significance, tired of hearing names that means nothing to me.
Be no fool, the grim reaper has no death list. I follow no patterns, and I serve no fate. I am naught but a conscience, shattered into a million pieces, like a broken mirror. I reflect only what stands in front of me, and I know nothing except what I learn from the fools I am about to banish.
I am nothing.
 
 
Maybe it was that thought, or maybe the feeling of emptiness that drove me to wonder what life would be like. What if I could know the one I was supposed to fetch, what if I could learn what this miracle was? What if I could find the answer to why the humans treasured `life' so much?
At first, the thought was naught but a thought. A faint ghost that roamed the empty halls of my torn conscious. But with time, the though evolved, expanded until it ravaged my mind like a plague. The word resounding inside my head was “Life… life…life…” And like a savage beast, it drove me to the brink of madness and back again.
 
 
And then I decided. No more faceless people, no more empty names and useless facts. I would select one person, whose path I've been following for a short time. From this person, I would learn what it was, life. And then they, and their precious `life' would haunt me no more.
 
 
I thought, that when I had been torn apart, divided by the hand of God to do the job only a condemned creature would be able to, I had felt the greatest pain there ever was.
When I was trying to collect the pieces of my broken mind however, I was proved wrong. That was the greatest pain there ever was.
But like the insane man, I was driven by a desire to great for me to ignore, and I overcame the pain once more.
My mind was made up, and when all the strings that attached me to the millions of people waiting to die were cut, I found myself whole again, victorious.
 
 
I assure you all, that the first time you gain physical form is a very traumatic one. Laying down on something soft and wet, without knowing where I was, I opened my eyes for the first time.
But shut them again quick as hell. Something, bright shining had dazzled me. Cursing God and his fondness of spectacular light effects, I peered out through almost closed eyelids. What I now saw was almost overwhelming.
 
 
Bright colors, smells and various sounds seemed to attack me at full speed, all at the same time, leaving me twitching in nameless pain. I opened my mouth and drew my first, aching breath. A burning sensation stung in my throat, and I coughed.
I had always known what my first word would be:
“Freedom!” called out with a mighty voice. But when I opened my mouth to exclaim the fact, I realized it would not be so. I found myself incapable of doing anything else than scream. All my anguish, all the pain I had gathered throughout the years became obvious as I opened my mouth. I yelled, shrieked and howled until I could scream no more. The place held inside me for such things were once again empty. I was ready, somehow completed.
 
 
So instead of stating the fact that I was free from my grim fate for the first time, I decided to say something else, something with significance. Stuttering at first, but then with growing confidence in my voice I said:
“I… s-shall walk. on m-my own legs, for the… first time!” And with that said I began the struggle to stand on never before used muscles and bones, only to find that having a body was not such a small thing as I thought it would be.
 
 
Slowly, I spread my fingers, and was amazed by how slender, but yet strong my hands were. I moved my arms, stunned by the strength I felt in them. Full of doubt, I put my palms against the soft (grass?) ground, tensed my muscles and tried to heave myself up. I came as far as standing on all four, and felt I had plenty of strength left, but as I tried to stand up, something I hadn't counted on intervened. It was gravity, and a slight lack of balance.
I came up on one knee, and then I stood up on my own legs. A victorious smile graced my lips as I turned my head upwards, only to find myself dazzled once again. The bright shining sun had stung my eyes once more, and I now came to the conclusion that maybe you weren't supposed to look straight at it. The smirk on my face became broader (is this happiness?) as I imagined myself walking, running.
So I lifted one foot to take my first step, to feel the sensation of the wind blowing through my hair as I ran. Sadly enough, I hadn't counted in gravity to strike, and I fell flat on my face.
“Damn it!” I cursed and began the motion to get up again. Once standing up again, lifted one foot, but more carefully this time.
Three wobbling steps later, and I had gotten some sort of idea of how this was done. Running would come eventually, and I decided not to push it.
 
 
But now that I was here, real and all with a body of my own, I would have to have a name, an identity.
These things mattered not to me, but other humans would get suspicious if I told them whom I was… or were not. A name? It had to be a good one, not to ordinary, but not to sensational, maybe… Rose, (a flower?) yes that was it. Rose I would be!
 
 
Now I had to find the human I had chosen. A man, young, blinded by malice and driven by the burning desire to be seen, heard.
Though he no longer dwelled at the destination I had chosen, and though he'd strayed aside from the path I was about to stride, I knew he would return in a short matter of time. So I began walking, though the beautiful autumn day, amazed by all the colors the leaves had. The world was truly a beautiful place.
 
----
 
So this was it, this huge mansion was my destination. This was the place I would address as my home. Hm, a home, for the grim reaper, what an amusingly disturbing thought.
 
 
I raised one of my brand new hands, and closed it into a fist, and knocked at the door three times, one for each smile since I'd been reborn.
At first, nothing seemed to happen, and then I could hear rushed footsteps from inside. The door swung open and someone appeared before me. This someone didn't look human at all, though I could smell scent that he was very human.
He was tall and crouched, with a massive body covered in blue fur, a very strange human indeed. The (beast) man held out one massive hand, and instinctively I grabbed and shook it.
 
 
“Welcome to Xavier's school for the gifted, my name is Hank McCoy.” He smiled welcoming and I could sense true warmth in him. It was strange to meet someone who would actually greet me, and the realization that he only did so because he did not know what I was, somehow left me with a strange feeling… could it be grieve? But I put on a smile and greeted him back, using my new identity as cover.
 
 
“Greetings Beast, my name is Rose, and the tide has led me to this place.” The huge man flinched and I could instantly smell something new in him. It was confusion, and reservation.
 
 
“How do you know what my name is?” The warmth in his eyes had disappeared, and been replaced by suspicion. I realized my mistake. Since I am the reaper, also this mans fate is connected to me, and therefore I knew his name instinctively.
I also realized that he looked at me with suspicion because I could very well turn out to be an impostor. I decided that some acting would be in order.
 
 
“Oh my God, I can't believe I called you that. Forgive me Mr. McCoy, in my confusion I must have expressed my first impression of your appearance aloud.” I blushed and looked down at my feet, changing my posture so I seemed to be ashamed.
 
 
“Oh, don't worry dear girl, a common mistake.” The man now said, and though he was lying, the warmth had returned to his voice. “Actually, I'm called Beast around here.” He added, and I knew that it was true.
Since I didn't know what to answer, and he didn't seem to come up with something comforting to say either, there was an awkward moment. I realized that this blue, furry man was staring at me, as if spellbound. His eyes gazed into mine, and to my great astonishment, I could smell a fascination in him.
Then he flinched and seemed to come back to his senses.
 
 
“Oh, I'm sorry. Let me show you in.” He stepped aside and gestured to me that I should enter the house. So I did as expected.
We stood inside a huge hallway. Wooden floors and beautiful walls made it a spectacular room. The air was thick with scents, human and inhuman. I could tell that many lived here, and there was something else, something that separated them from simple humans. I could smell power in the air. (Mutants) Was that it? Were all here mutants?
 
 
“Well, while we wait for Xavier to come down, what is your power?” asked Beast.
For one moment I felt something rise within, a paralyzing feeling, panic. But then, when I searched for something within me, I discovered I were a mutant after all.
 
 
“I take away their pain, and make them whole again. I am a healer.” I said, and knew that it was true. After all, it was somewhat like what I've been doing since the beginning. Maybe that was why I'd become a mutant, `cause it lay in my nature.
He seemed satisfied with the answer and asked no more.
 
 
Moments later, a man in a wheelchair and a white haired woman came walking towards us through the hall. (Charles Xavier and Ororo Munroe) I smiled at them, but felt the grim falter as the man tried to enter my mind. It was not as if he was trying to break in, but merely as if he wanted to get a hint on who I am. But even that could be dangerous, so I had to shut him out. Some things are better left unknown.
 
 
“Ah professor, Ororo, this is Rose. She is a healer and has come to seek shelter here.” Beast told Xavier and Ororo. (Storm)
 
 
“Welcome Rose, I assure you that we are all happy to see you here. This school is a sanctuary to all mutants, and I hope you will feel at home here.” Xavier said. I knew that he was being honest, and I smiled to him. This was a good man, I could tell by the sparkle in his eyes.
 
 
“Thank you professor Xavier.”
 
 
“Storm here will show you up to your room, and you will receive you schedule.”
 
 
Ororo gestured for me to follow her, and so I did. It seemed as if I were about to attend school during my time here. Well, maybe it would teach me something about life. Now I only would have to wait for Him. The man who would teach me and quiet my inner thoughts, and when I was done here, I would take him to the other side.
After all, that is what I do. I take them as they are, silence all their fears and anguish.
 
I am death
 
----
 
Please review!