X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ I am Death ❯ A powerful display ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, except Rose.
 
I am Death
 
Chapter 4: A powerful display
 
-----
 
As I met Storm in the corridor outside my room the following morning, I realized that the professor must have told the other teachers about what he'd found out during the analyse. And why wouldn't he, I had told him that he was free to tell anyone, except me myself. I did not wish to know what those text rows had said. It was not in my place.
It was quite obvious however that Ms Munroe knew. She looked at me in such strange way as she greeted me this morning. Some part of me actually became a bit afraid. Why did she look at me with such awe, as if I were some entity from outer space? (Another expression the human race had come up with)
 
“Good morning ms… um, Rose.” She changed her mind in the middle of the sentence, as she remembered she did not know my last name. Not so strange, considering I had no last name. Maybe I should come up with one just so people wouldn't get suspicious.
 
“Good morning Ms Munroe.” I had to restrain myself from calling her `Storm'. To me, that was her real name, but here at the school it was part of the tradition to call teachers by their last name. Do not ask me why, `cause I really have no idea.
 
“Would you mind coming with me down to the underground level?” Storm asked. I stared at her, feeling a bit dumb. Didn't she know that I had class to attend?
 
“But, Ms Munroe… I have class, I mean math, or something.” She however didn't seem to take that all too seriously. She just waved one hand in the air and then said:
 
“Oh don't worry, the professor has granted you permission to come with me, even though it means you'll miss the first class of the day.”
And so I followed with her. To my great perplexity, she did not head for the same place the professor and I had gone yesterday. No, she went in a totally different direction, and I could only conclude that there was more than one way to get down to the X-base.
 
It became clear to me that I had been right as an elevator came into view as we rounded a corner and into another hallway. We stepped in and headed down. The silence between us bothered me a bit to be honest. I felt like I needed to ask her what this was about. Had I done, or said something wrong? Did they know that I was not human? That last thought made the panic stir inside my mind, brush against it, like a cat demanding attention. Then the elevator stopped moving, and the doors opened. In silence, Storm stepped out with me close behind. We turned left and headed down a corridor. I didn't think it was the same one as yesterday, that one should be somewhere to the east. No this one lead to some new, unknown destiny. I could only hope that this was some standard thing, or something.
We halted in front of another X-marked door, and Storm turned to me for the first time since we stepped outside the elevator.
 
“I were instructed to follow you here. The professor is waiting inside that room, and he wishes to speak with you.” She said, and the turned around and walked back down the corridor. But instead of going straight ahead, back the same way we came, she rounded the corner to the left and disappeared out of sight. I swallowed hard, and braced myself for whatever was to come. Then I walked closer to the door and watched it open for me to enter.
 
The room was very big, with all sorts of stuff inside. In the middle of the room sat the professor in his chair, waiting for me. As I drew near with caution, I realized his eyes were as gentle as ever, and felt that I could relax, finally. I threw a glance to my right, and saw a huge mirror on the wall. Staring back at me was my own reflection. I suddenly got the feeling that Xavier and me were not alone, but decided not to ask.
 
“Rose, welcome. As I might have forgotten to tell you at your arrival, this school is also a place to learn how to control your powers. My intention today is to better help you understand the width of you own powers. But remember this, you are always free to go if you don't wish to proceed any further.”
Silently I wondered what he meant with `learning you to understand the width of your own powers'.
 
“But how will you do that professor?” He smiled at my question and gestured for me to come a bit closer. I took two steps further and then I froze again. Xavier seemed pleased with the distance, and he said:
 
“Rose, do you see the chair by the wall to your right?” I nodded. “Bring it here,” he said.
I lifted one foot to obey him, but he stopped me.
 
“No Rose, I want you to do it from where you are now.” I was confused.
 
“How can I do that professor?”
 
“Just imagine yourself calling it to you. Create a course of events where you see the chair coming to you inside your mind.”
 
Convinced that nothing would happen, I concentrated on the chair. Inside my head, I could see it move towards me, and suddenly, I felt warmth flowing through my veins. It felt like my blood was on fire, but it wasn't an unpleasant feeling, no it felt rather good. By the wall, I could see the chair begin to shake. I was awestruck, was it I who did this? I concentrated harder, and suddenly I didn't just imagine it coming to me, because the chair actually came sliding over the floor and stopped behind me. I sat down, and then I noticed that the professor was looking at me, smiling again.
 
“Now Rose, I want you to tell me what I'm thinking of.”
 
Now this was something I could do to some extent. I didn't actually read minds, but I could usually sense what another person was thinking about. I concentrated on the professors' mind, trying to see what went on in there. A huge barrier met me; he was shielding himself from my encroachment. Trying harder to focus I felt some tension build up inside me. A high murmuring rose and faded inside my mind in waves. And then, again I felt the fire flow through my blood. A roaring storm had woken inside me, every inch of my body were pure heat. The power was so destructive and massive, I felt like being torn apart. Then, with a cracking sound, like a stone giant falling, the professors' barrier broke and his memories, thoughts and feeling flooded into me. In my eager to obey him, I had gone too far. The things flooding into me from him were too much, I felt like being ripped apart by two souls sharing one body. Everything had turned to pure emotion, every thought resounding inside me so high I left as if my ears were bleeding. I felt like imploding, expanding until I could not take any more pressure. Just as the light began to fade away from my sight, I felt the professor struggle to withdraw from my conscious, and then all faded to black.
 
I awoke again, with no idea of how long I had been gone. I was lying on the cold floor, and I could see the professor stare down at me. His expression was worried, but he seemed relieved by the fact that I was awake again.
 
“Rose, are you feeling okay?” I nodded
 
“Y-yes, I think so.” I got up from the floor, but had to sit down on that chair. Everything swayed; I had never felt this tired before.
 
“I overdid it, didn't I?” I asked in a small voice.
 
“Yes, and it was my fault. I should have warned you to be more careful.” Xavier answered. He looked very concerned, and I got the feeling there was something about this he didn't tell me.
 
“Sorry I intruded so much. It felt like all came upon me at once,” I paused “Professor, you and Eric, Magneto, you used to be friends, didn't you?” Again, I could trace sadness in his features. Suddenly the professor looked as if he'd aged ten years in a second.
 
“Yes, we were friends. But Eric could not let go of his hatred, and so he chose to walk a different path.”
 
-----
 
The professor decided I'd had enough for today, and let me off. As I walked past the big mirror on the wall, it suddenly struck me what it was for. The feeling of not being alone, the presence I felt. There were others sitting on the other side of that mirror, watching me. I stopped, with my back to the professor.
 
“Why are Storm, Scott and Jean hiding on the other side of the mirror, couldn't they have been here in the room with us?”
 
Without waiting for an answer, I left. Walked through the corridor, and into the elevator. It was time for me to return to school, something I solemnly looked forward to. Anything that could distract me from my guilt were a good thing.
 
-----
 
The professor sat motionless inside the empty room. Within a minute or so, the three other mutants joined him. They all looked strangely pale in the light swirling down from the ceiling.
 
“She knew we were there.” Jean exclaimed with a doubtful expression, as if she couldn't believe what she was saying.
 
“Yes, she knew. I also believe that she has even more powers waiting to be discovered than the ones she displayed here today.” The professor replied. He seemed strangely calm, as if what he'd seen were nothing more than he'd expected.
 
“But can she be trusted?” Storm had a grave look in her face.
 
“Yes, I believe we can.”
 
The three X-men glanced at one another. However, no one said anything. The professor knew best, after all. If he thought she could be trusted, then she probably could.
 
-----
 
A/N: I promise that Pyro will be in the next chapter, have no doubts about that.
Don't forget, reviews are love!