X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Renegade Romances ❯ Survellience ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Renegade Romances
Chapter Four: Surveillance
 
“Shadowcat, this is Nightcrawler. Can you hear me?”
 
“Yes, Kurt,” Kitty said into her earphones. “I can hear you. And why are we using those as our codenames. She knows them. She knows us! Wouldn't she be more suspicious as to why we're muttering to ourselves?”
 
“It doesn't matter!” the teleporter hissed into the earphones. “We just gotta follow her.”
 
“Wasn't Jean supposed to come with us?”
 
“Yeah, but we get Boom-Boom instead.”
 
“I heard that, Blue! Jean and Scott had some get-together-ing they had to do. I get to be here instead.”
 
“Wonderful,” Kurt murmured.
 
“I heard that too!” Tabitha peeked around the corner. “Where's the objective?”
 
“She's moving your way, Shadowcat. What's she up to?”
 
Kitty rolled her eyes, looking for the objective in the crowd. “She's at a mall,” she muttered into the phones. “It's not like she's buying drugs or something.”
 
“Where do you buy your drugs?” Tabitha asked.
 
Kitty smiled. “From you.”
 
The line went silent as Boom-Boom simmered.
 
“Where is she?” Kurt asked.
 
“I see her… I think.” Kitty peered into the crowd. “Yep, that's her. She's sneaking out an entrance and everything. She just apologized for bumping into another woman. Evil deeds she be doing.”
 
“Shut up, Kitty,” Tabitha and Kurt said together.
 
“I guess we gotta go follow her,” she sighed.
 
---
 
“She totally sees us,” Kitty muttered.
 
“It's because Kurt can't drive,” Tabatha said, fixing her sunglasses. “Let me do it.”
 
“No way,” he smacked her hand away. “I've seen both of you drive. I'm most definitely the safest.”
 
“You just hit a puppy.”
 
Kitty screamed. Kurt glared.
 
“Stop scaring her.”
 
---
 
“For the last time we did not hit a puppy.”
 
---
 
“Where's she going now?”
 
Boom-Boom grinned as she watched the objective head into a certain store.
 
“Guess.”
 
Kurt paled as he realized exactly where Tabitha was pointing at.
 
“There is no way in hell I'm heading into a Victoria's Secret.”
 
Tabitha linked her arm in his. “Come on. We'll go in together. We'll be like those couples that do everything as one.”
 
“What?! No!”
 
Kitty checked the tires to make sure there was no dead puppy beneath.
 
---
 
“She disappeared!” Tabitha said, leaning out the window.
 
“If an 18-wheeler plowed through you right now I would not be disappointed,” Kurt muttered.
 
Kitty pointed to dashboard.
 
“I think we're running out of gas.”
 
“Damn,” Boom-Boom muttered. “To the nearest gas station!”
 
Kurt rolled his eyes and pulled her back into the seat. The car jumped as they ran over something, and they yelped. Kitty looked behind her to see what they had hit, and she cried.
 
---
 
“It was a piece of plastic, Kitty,” Tabitha rolled her eyes. “Not a puppy.”
 
“We have to go back!” she shouted. “We hit—”
 
Tabitha grabbed her, turned her to face her, and shook her shoulders. “Repeat after me: we-did-not-hit-a-puppy.”
 
Kitty bit her lip and ducked down to check the tires just in case.
 
“You guys hit a puppy?” someone said behind them. “That's bad.”
 
Tabitha groaned. “We didn't hit a puppy. She just—Oh. Hi, Rogue.”
 
Rogue smirked at them. “Did you have fun today?”
 
“What? Ye—Ow!” Kurt hopped out, tripping over Kitty. He looked up from the pavement, still smiling.
 
Kitty yelped and rubbed her side. “I told you she could see us.”
 
“You followed me out of the house,” Rogue pointed out. “You got in the car two seconds after me. How could I not know?”
 
“I told you we weren't sneaky enough,” Tabitha muttered.
 
---
 
For the first time in a long time, Rogue was not the one in trouble.
 
Kurt and Kitty were forced to spend the next day cleaning the X-Jet for sneaking off instead of training.
 
“Rogue snuck off!” Kurt said.
 
“Yeah! We wanted to see where she was going.”
 
“Actually,” Storm pointed out, “She had permission to leave. She said she and Jean were supposed to go shopping, but Jean left with Scott at the last minute. And she didn't steal a car from the garage.”
 
Just to show what a good girl she was, Rogue stayed locked up in her room the next day, doing her homework.
 
Later, someone asked why the phone line was busy all day.