X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Renegade Romances ❯ Taunting ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Renegade Romances
Chapter Five: Taunting
 
At dinner, Multiple announced as loudly as he could with a chorus of himselves.
 
“Rogue's got a boyfriend!”
 
Said Rogue sputtered on her water and spent a minute coughing up her lung.
 
“What?!”
 
The others were curious and let him talk.
 
“I heard your conversation last night!” He pointed an accusing finger. “You were talking about the date you had.”
 
“I didn't—I don't—What are you doing listening in on my phone conversations?!”
 
A minute too late did he realize the wrath he had incurred and bolted. Rogue almost went after him, if not for the two mutants holding her down. Quietly she returned to her meal, ignoring the stares they were giving her.
 
---
 
Multiple was found that night wrapped in his blanket and locked in his closet. He said it was safer in there, especially since this was revenge for sneaking into her room last week. He imagined much worse in the next few days.
 
---
 
“So, Rogue,” Kitty spoke through the darkness to her roommate. “Is what Jamie said true?”
 
There was no answer, and she figured she'd gone to sleep. She decided to do the same.
 
---
 
Tabitha grinned.
 
“What?” Rogue asked.
 
“I heard the news,” she smiled, leaning forward intently. “How long has it been going on?”
 
“What?” Rogue sounded truthfully curious.
 
“Your boyfriend! I want details. Juicy details.”
 
She glared. “I don't have a boyfriend.”
 
Tabatha leaned back in her chair, still smiling.
 
“Sure you don't.”
 
---
 
“You shouldn't be sneaking out for a boy,” Storm said.
 
“I'm not.”
 
“You shouldn't let a boy influence you in a negative way,” Professor Xavier said.
 
“I don't.”
 
Mr. McCoy babbled off poetry. Rogue didn't pay very much attention.
 
Logan was sitting across the table from her, and she waited a minute.
 
“Aren't you going to say anything?”
 
“Nope,” he answered.
 
“No speech about how my nonexistent boyfriend makes me do things and quite possibly beats me.”
 
“Nope.”
 
She smiled, resting her face in her hands. “Did I ever tell you that you were my favorite teacher?”
 
“Whatever you're doing, it's your business. I'm not gonna get into teenage romance.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
---
 
Jean stared at her, shaking her head.
 
“What?” Rogue asked.
 
“Nope, definitely don't have a boyfriend.”
 
She raised a brow. “What makes you say that?”
 
“I know you,” she smiled encouragingly, in that way that made her feel queasy. “You wouldn't risk it.”
 
Rogue stared at her empty room.
 
“Gee, thanks.”
 
---
 
Rogue picked up the phone, resting it between her shoulder and her ear as she opened the door.
 
“Hey,” she said into it, frowning as she found her search fruitless.
 
“Hung up on school?” the voice flitted through the phone, and she felt a smile rise in her.
 
“Sadly. But I'm graduating this year.”
 
“And where are you going after?”
 
“Back down south, if I can help it.” The bathrooms held no results. “I haven't seen you in a while. What are you up to these days?”
 
“The usual,” he laughed. “You know me.”
 
She grinned. “Unfortunately.”
 
“I don't suppose we'll be seeing each other any time soon?”
 
“We could. As soon as I—Ah ha!”
 
The phone dropped as she lunged forward, grabbing Multiple and pulling him out of the closet. In his hands was another phone, and a recording device.
 
“There are more aren't there?” She held him up by his collar. “You're gonna find me all of `em.”
 
Multiple nodded nervously, and she let him go. Quietly she picked up the phone, speaking sweetly into it.
 
“I'll call you later. I've got to do a bit of pest control right now.”
 
Multiple gulped and ran off to find his counterparts.