Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Lullaby ❯ Anniversary Surprise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tatsumi knew something was up when he walked into the house and a candle lit dinner was waiting on the dining room table. Watari was in the kitchen, humming happily as he finished dinner. He'd insisted on leaving for early for something special, and Tatsumi had already assumed the worst. Watari had a way with surprising him, whether it be pleasant or not. And considering this was their third anniversary, he knew that something was definately going to be up.
The last two years didn't cease to bring this feeling of ominous doom. The first year, Watari had insisted that they go out to a fancy place in Kyoto (which he'd somehow saved money for so that Tatsumi wouldn't have to pay). The dinner was nice, and the walk back to the hotel hadn't been bad. Then Watari had wanted to stop and watch the fireworks show. Fine. It sounded safe enough. Until Watari decided to horse around and knocked them both into the nearby fountain. It was a decidedly embarressing moment.
Then, there was the second anniversary. Watari wanted to get married. Tatsumi agreed, but had no idea that Watari was planning on doing a ceremony. He walked into the trap and ending up exchanging vows in front of everyone. Though he secretly hadn't minded pronouncing their love to everyone, he still didn't care for the show of emotion. Neither had the Ministry. It took him weeks to get them off his back for such a public display, especially for the fact that it was a marriage.
Watari peeked out from the kitchen and smiled. "Go on and sit down. Dinner's almost ready!" he said happily.
Tatsumi reluctantly took off his coat and sat down at the table. He still couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to happen tonight to cause him termoil. It was inevitable. Two years running. Watari never breaks a record he's been keeping that long.
"I see you didn't stay late. I'm so glad. I didn't want dinner to get cold." Watari said as he came in and sat down across from him. He'd fixed a nice dinner and seemed rather proud of it. That... or something else.
"You know I wouldn't do that. I've never missed our anniversary before, and I don't plan to." Tatsumi said, still a bit wary, though trying not to show it.
Watari smiled. "Well, eat up. Don't let it get cold." he said.
The two ate in silence. Tatsumi kept glancing at Watari, trying to read him. He was definately up to something. That smile gave it away. He always smiled like that when he was planning something. Finally, he could stand it no more. "Yutaka, is something going on?" he asked quietly.
Watari looked over at him, setting his fork down. "Why do you ask?" he said, giving him a cheerful smile.
That said it all. "I know that look. Now what are you up to?" Tatsumi asked, sounding a bit more stern.
"Well..." Watari said in a playful voice.
"Yutaka..." Tatsumi started.
"Oh, okay. I've got a surprise for you." Watari said happily.
Tatsumi gave him a suspicious look. "What kind of surprise?"
"Remember when I asked you what colors you liked for a child's room?" Watari asked.
Tatsumi suddenly felt his chest go tight. He remembered the question, which had been brought up about a year earlier. But at the time, he hadn't thought much of it. Maybe he should have. "Watari Yutaka, what did you do?" he finally made himself ask.
Watari just shrugged, an innocent smile on his face. "Well, I thought it would be a good question to bring up. We'll be needing a room like that soon." he said.
"Why?" Tatsumi said, though he already knew the answer.
"Why ask? You know the answer." Watari said.
Tatsumi just sat there for a moment, watching Watari point to his belly. To say he was amazed was an understatement. A baby? How in the world did he do it?
Watari stood up, leaning against the nearby wall. "I admit it wasn't easy. First, I have to find a way to carry it. That alone took a couple months of heavy research and testing. Then the fact that we're sterile. Of course I had to fix that too. But I wanted it to be a surprise, so I conducted that the best way there is." he explained.
"You spiked something." Tatsumi said, finally coming back a little.
"The coffee actually. I knew you'd drink that. As for the rest, I just had to wait and see if it worked. But the results are in now, and I have to admit, I am quite proud of myself for how easily it worked out." Watari told him.
Tatsumi stood up. "Do you even realize what could happen because of this? We're not suppose to have children." he said, walking over to him.
"There's nothing written, so why are you so upset?" Watari asked, not quite understanding.
"We're sterile as it is. There's a reason for that. If the Ministry finds out that you've gone beyond that, there could be big problems." Tatsumi told him.
"Then we'll deal with them. It's our choice." Watari said, giving him a reassuring smile. But that smile faded as Tatsumi went over to the couch and sat down. He watched him look down at the floor, apparently upset. "You're... not upset, are you?"
It was a dumb question, but all that Watari could bring himself to say out loud. Tatsumi sighed. "Why go to all this trouble Yutaka? I told you things were fine as they were. I didn't care that you couldn't have children. You were all I needed." he said quietly.
Watari took a few steps forward, bowing his head slight with his hands behind his back. "I know. I understand that. But, I wanted to do this. I've always wanted a child, and I thought that maybe with us together, it would be a good time to try and have one." he whispered.
"Yutaka..." Tatsumi watched him as he sadly looked at the floor.
"I'm sorry." Watari whispered. "I should've asked you first. But I thought you'd be happy to have such a surprise. I'm sorry if I've upset you."
Tatsumi felt his chest tighten again. Suddenly, he felt worse. He hadn't meant to hurt Watari's feelings, but he'd been so shocked that he didn't know what to do. Slowly, he got up and walked over to him. "Yutaka, listen to me. You don't have to apologize." he said, lifting his face to look at him.
"But I should have at least told you." Watari replied.
"Maybe so. But what's done is done. I'm not saying I don't want this baby, but I'm worried about what might happen when it's born. You know there's going to be a lot of controversy over this." Tatsumi explained.
Watari gave him a weak smile. "I know. But I want to do this. I want to have this child, not just for you, but for us." he said.
"Yutaka, I love you whether you have children or not. And if we have this baby, I will love it as well. I just don't want to see you or this baby get hurt." Tatsumi told him.
"Don't worry. You do too much of that at work." Watari said, wrapping his arms around his shoulders.
Tatsumi smiled. "You do know you cause half those worries at work, don't you?"
Watari just grinned. "So, time to celebrate. There's always time to talk later you know. And tomorrow is Sunday." he said, a suggestive gleam in his eye.
"You're insatiable. You do know that." Tatsumi had to laugh.
"Nope." Watari said, pulling him to the bedroom. "Just getting ready to be a mother."
TBC
Comments: First chapter! Anyone like? I hope I covered the basics. So what will happen with this baby? Of course, anyone who's read Light of Life knows who it is. But what kinds of problems will her parents face during this supposibly happy time? More to come!