Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Lullaby ❯ Not Your Typical Day at the Office ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Walking into the office that morning, Tatsumi could almost feel the tension mounting inside of him. The day before, Watari had taken the liberty on calling everyone to let them know what he referred to as "the wonderful news". Not that it wasn't, but Tatsumi wished he'd been able to talk to the chief privately before all of this. He had already foreseen the blow up that was coming. In fact, as soon as he walked in, he felt the eyes following him.
Those four eyes in question belonged to the Gushoshin twins, who were sitting at the table in the break room. They were always the first ones there, and usually were getting ready to start their day like everyone else. The elder looked up when he came in. "Good morning Tatsumi." he said cheerfully. But something else was underlying his voice.
"We heard the news. So Watari really is having a kid?" the younger chimed in. He yelped a little when the older one nudged him. Apparently, they were trying to be careful of thin ice. Or, at least, one was.
Tatsumi sighed. No use in fighting it. Everyone knew anyways now. "Yes. It was a surprise, but I suppose we'll be able to handle it." he said quietly.
The two looked up at him. "Has anyone told the boss yet?" the elder asked, his voice a bit softer.
Tatsumi pushed his glasses up a little. "Yes. But we haven't heard anything yet." he said. Then he stepped back out of the room to avoid anymore questions.
Nearby, Watari appeared from a doorway. "You know they're just curious." he said, walking up beside him.
"I know. But those questions don't need to be asked right now." Tatsumi said, walking with him to his office.
"Grumpy? I thought that was my job in the mornings now." Watari joked.
"You're obviously feeling better." Tatsumi noted quietly. Watari had been sick from the pregnancy for a while, though Tatsumi hadn't known it was from that until recently. But it seemed the morning sickness was wearing off.
"Yep. As long as I keep my stomach full. If not, I get hungry." Watari laughed.
Tatsumi shook his head. "Go do some work. I'll see you later." he said, going into his office.
Watari smiled and turned on his heels to go back to the lab. Inside, 003 was waiting for him. "There you are. Sorry I'm late." he said as she landed on his shoulder.
Sitting down, he picked up his notes and started looking over him. Unconsiously, he reached down with the other hand and placed it on his belly. 003 hotted softly, ruffling her feathers. "Yes, it is rather obvious, isn't it?" Watari said. "I suppose this is becoming a force of habit already."
Meanwhile, Tatsumi was in his office, bracing himself for the inevitible confrontation over all of this. As expected, there was a knock at his door. "Yes?" he called.
Konoe opened the door. "Tatsumi, I need you in my office. Now." he told him.
Sighing, Tatsumi got up and made his way to the chief's office. Thankfully, no one else was really there yet. He hoped that would make things a little easier. Shutting the door behind him, he walked over and took a seat in front of the desk. "You wanted to see me?" he said, trying to keep his cool exterior up.
"I'm sure you know what this is about." Konoe said, giving a ragged sigh. Apparently, he'd already been dealing with this 'issue'.
"Yes. Watari being pregnant. I only found out a few days ago myself." Tatsumi admitted.
"And what's your take on this? Do you want to keep it?" Konoe asked.
The question caught Tatsumi a bit by surprise. Why ask? He didn't really have a say, did he? "If it's possible, of course. But I know we'll have a hard time going against the Ministry if they decide against it." he told him.
Konoe nodded. "I see your point. It is a very touchy issue this time around. And considering all you do for this department, I'd hate to see you forced into something you'd rather not do." he said.
"Sir?" Tatsumi said, trying to figure out exactly what he meant. This conversation wasn't exactly going like he'd been expecting.
"Despite what you might be thinking, I really don't want to be the one to tell you and Watari what you can and can't do in your personal lives. And this time, I might actually be able to not do it. When the Ministry heard last night, a direct order came down from the king allowing you both to keep this child." Konoe explained.
Tatsumi gave him a suspicious look. "The king himself?" he said.
Konoe nodded. "That's what I've been told. But there are conditions." he said.
"Very well. But before you start, let's bring Watari in here and discuss it with him as well. It's his choice too." Tatsumi said.
Konoe agreed. Quietly, Tatsumi got up and walked out to get Watari. At the time, he was standing out there with the others. "So when's it due?" Tsuzuki was asking him.
"Probably six more months, give or take." Watari said.
Tatsumi cleared his throat and motioned to him to come to the office. Watari stood there for a moment, then hurried over to see what was going on. He really wasn't too sure he wanted to know right now, but he wasn't in the position to fight yet either.
"So, what's going on?" Watari asked, though he wasn't sure he wanted to know.
"Just sit down. There are things we need to discuss." Konoe told him.
The two sat down in front of the desk and waited. Watari fidgeted a little, becoming nervous. But Tatsumi just laid a hand on his. The simple touch brought him some comfort and he took a deep breath. He could face this. They wouldn't do anything.
Konoe cleared his throat. "The Ministry received word from the king himself about this current matter last night. He's given you permission to keep the child. But he does have conditions." he said.
"Okay. What are they?" Watari asked, feeling both relieved and anxious at the same time.
"First, he's appointing a special doctor to monitor the pregnancy. She'll be there through your carrying and giving birth. She's also going to be the child's doctor. He wants everything monitored and reported on." Konoe said.
Watari nodded. "If you don't mind me asking, exactly why is he so interested in its development?" he said.
"I wasn't told. But either way, you must report anything concerning the child with her. She's also to remain here in Meifu until they okay her to travel." Konoe said.
Tatsumi just listened in silence. He still wasn't too sure about all of this. It was wonderful that they were letting them keep the baby. But why all the fuss over it? Why all the monitoring?
But Watari just smiled. "That's fine with me. What about you Tatsumi?" he said, looking over at him.
"Very well. I suppose we can deal with that." Tatsumi said, though he still wasn't too sure about the whole thing. It just seemed too convient.
After their dismissal, the two made their way back out to the office. Outside, everyone had been waiting. "Well?" Tsuzuki said hopefully. They all knew what the conversation must have been about.
"Well what?" Watari asked, deciding to mess with him a little.
"You know what! What did they say?" Tsuzuki whined.
Tatsumi just smiled. Tsuzuki was just like a little kid sometimes, especially when he wanted to know something. "We can keep it. We just need to stay with the doctor they choose." he said.
Wakaba squealed. "That's wonderful! Soon we'll have a baby here too!" she said happily.
"Okay, this is all weirding me out. Watari, what the hell made you decide to have a baby!" Terazuma said, looking up from his desk.
Watari just smiled. "What can I say? I've always wanted to experience the joys of motherhood." he told him.
Terazuma just grumbled and turned away. Wakaba shot him a nasty look. Nearby, Hisoka sighed. "Come on. Let's get back to work before something else starts." he said, grabbing Tsuzuki's arm and pulling him away.
Tatsumi sighed. Hopefully, something would get done today, considering the uproar over Watari and the new baby. By him, Watari touched his hand. "See? I told you things will work out." he said.
All Tatsumi could do was nod. He wouldn't tell him, but he wasn't entirely convinced yet. Just what did they have planned for their child?
TBC
Notes: Okay, kind of short. But I want to make some more notes before I write the next chapter. The plot is developing though. Just why is the king being so lenient about the baby? And who's the doctor he's appointing? It's all coming soon!