Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Sky and Bliss ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Note - Characters in Yami no Matsuei, with the exception of a few, do not belong to me but I do claim the rights to the story. This is purely for entertainment, and it served no purpose in gaining profits.

Sky and Bliss

Yami no Matsuei


"Really, Watari," frowned Seiichirou Tatsumi, school secretary of Junion School of Medics. "For some odd reason, I simply can't imagine our dear Hisoka putting his moves on our friend, let alone declaring his affections."

The jaunty counselor of thirty-two shifted his eyes towards the other side of the school hall, where the lanky form easily recognized as Kurosaki Hisoka was walking along the hallway with his teacher, and Hijiri, a junior. Hisoka would seem to gather his nerves and glance at Asato Tsuzuki right in the eyes - before he cast them away bashfully - seeming to find the polished floorboards a more interesting sight to behold. The teacher appeared to be leading the conversation, though. "Oh, where's your sense of romance, dear friend? It's just a confession of love - how hard can that be? You know we've been praying for Hisoka to let the skeletons out of his closet for days now."

"And apparently, our prayers were always unanswered," Tatsumi replied dryly. "Let's just accept what reality was trying to tell us from the very beginning - as much as Kurosaki's in love with the guy, he'll never tell Tsuzuki how he feels till he turns ninety."

"Real supportive, aren't you, Tatsumi?" Watari said snidely. "I, for one, am sure that the day will come when those two would stroll into the school hand-in-hand, swallowing each other's lips like there's no tomorrow-"

Tatsumi lightly patted Watari on the head. "Let's not get technical about it."

To say that they were rather fond of Kurosaki Hisoka was understated. Enrolled into the school just a little over a week ago, what sparked their interests in the seventeen-year-old was more or less his subtle nature that severely contradicted the brazen Neanderthals who took it as their hobbies to vandalize the school system like it's nobody's business. Hisoka seemed to emit an island of innocence under the cold exterior he erected, a fact not lost on others, even the most blatant. It gave them the feeling that it was something they would see once, and would never see again.

It proved to be Hisoka's misfortune.

With a school where violence and coarseness ran freely, Hisoka could not get into school without fighting off the taunts and advances inflicted.

Watari clucked his tongue. "Someone ought to push the boy in the right direction, Tatsumi. We're not exactly God's cupids, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this... this thing's just begging to be fixed. Why, remember our old boy, Terazuma? Without us to back him up, he wouldn't be delighting himself in the arms of dear little Wakaba now, would he?"

"It was a plan that horribly backfired, my dear friend," Tatsumi raised an eyebrow, amused. "Must remember that's it's all your fault to begin with - if you hadn't shown Wakaba the letter - which turns out to be everything we've recorded about her profile for Terazuma - she would've proceeded with what we originally planned, instead of ringing up the police about the two stalkers that she had on her tails. Honestly, sometimes I marvel at your tendency to land us in difficult situations, Watari." He took off his glasses and peered at them. "Since the matter with Tsuzuki and Kurosaki seemed a little too delicate for our tastes, what say we step back and let fate intervene?"

Watari gently plucked the spectacles out of Tatsumi's hands, took out his handkerchief and wiped them. He stared cockily at them, released a grunt of satisfaction and returned them back. "Not on your life," he declared, wrinkling his nose. "I sincerely doubt they will advance to the next step of their relationship with the rate they're going. No, we don't need Fate to do it - with just a little push, we'll send Kurosaki toppling on Tsuzuki, and our stupid lamppost will never know what hit him."

He turned to Tatsumi with wide eyes, adding," Who knows? Maybe by the end of this month, maybe things will work out for them after all. Even though we don't know how Tsuzuki feels for his student - no matter how much we try and ask, it's like pulling teeth out of him - we at least know that Kurosaki has enough charms and looks to enchant the entire student body!"

"Are you joking?" the secretary protested, his eyes growing round. "If we want to mess with someone's life, let it be anyone but Tsuzuki. Have you seen the man when he's in one of his black moods? Not a pretty sight, I assure you, and I do not want to go through that little session again."

"Hah! He's like that with you because you stole his ice-cream in the first place!"

"I stole it because you asked me to."

"Hush." Watari pointed to their direction. "Look at them. Look at Tsuzuki and Kurosaki. There's enough sexual tension in the air to make you actually feel Goosebumps!"

"...We're fifty feet away, my thick-headed friend."

"Distance has nothing to do with the vibe of love," Watari retorted. "And if we want our friend to be happy, I say we lend our assistance, like it or not!"

Tatsumi, thoughtful, stared at the two. "But what if we caused more cons than pros? I shudder to think of the consequences we'll be facing if things blew up in our faces like it did previously."

"You worry too much." Watari could not stop grinning as he stared at Tatsumi. "It'll be fine, trust me. What could possibly go wrong?"


"You'll feel right at home in no time," Asato Tsuzuki prattled. "Even though this school may not seem like it, there's tons of enjoyable stuff to do here - sort of like, scrawling Principal Snooker's name on the walls with paint... don't you dare tell anyone I said that - oh, there's always the cafeteria's candies if you're not contented with lunch. Trust me, don't buy them; they're the absolute pits. A good waste of five dollars. Save them for nachos, too. They're yummy."

"Kurosaki here didn't come all this way just to hear you babble about food," Hijiri said from Hisoka's other side. "If he didn't tarnish the school's image for you already, then I guess it's safe to say there're, um, many privileges for you to benefit from, especially if you're new, Kurosaki."

"Hah!" Tsuzuki scoffed. "Exactly what kinds of privileges are there, Hijiri? Come on; do define what you just said. Newbies get trampled on like cockroaches, and then they get thrown out. Then the people who torture them get thrown out too, of course. By me."

Hisoka finally managed to get a word in. "Ah, well, I'm sure I'll survive anyhow." He lightly pried Hijiri's hand away from his shoulder and smiled in reassurance. "I've been here for a week and I'm still alive, right? But if things get rough..." Hisoka shrugged. "I could always hide in the showers."

"Oh, come on." Hijiri burst out. "Would you really do that?" Hijiri pumped Hisoka's hand up and down enthusiastically. "I've seen the way you move in kendo and badminton, and I must say, you rock! Just look at the bruises you made to my hand when we first met!" In his excitement, he accidentally knocked over a girl.

"I'm not really much of an outdoor person," Hisoka muttered to Hijiri, flushing.

While Hijiri was apologizing to the fallen girl and helping with the books he had scattered, Tsuzuki murmured to him," On a serious note, if there's any trouble caused to you at all, don't hesitate to look up for me, all right? These guys here are known to stir up troubles on more than one occasion, and it'll not do at all to have them strolling around campus thinking they're God's gifts to all of us."

"That's... that's nice of you," Hisoka said, stifling a surprised smile. "But really - I can fare by my own. Back in my old school, I used to get into fights all the time - uh, which wasn't my fault, by the way - but it's nice of you to offer, really. Don't take it the wrong way, but... you're a nice teacher and all... it's just that if I let an adult interfere with problems between me and the guys..."

"You'll be labeled as one of the wimps of the century," Tsuzuki finished, his eyes twinkling.

"Um, not exactly... but close."

"No, Tsuzuki's got it dead on," Hijiri broke in lightly, clamping a hand on Hisoka's shoulder. "You gotta prove yourself to them that you're not some sweet-looking floozy who gets thrown into fights - and molested quite intentionally. No, it's not enough that you fought with them - you gotta win, Kurosaki. Show them your black belt skills and the likes. It doesn't matter if your pretty face got scarred as long as you emerge out as the winner, does it?"

Tsuzuki and Hisoka just gaped at him.

"Oh, all right," Hijiri pouted, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "So I'm jealous he does have a pretty face, enough to intoxicate practically every girl here in school. I'm jealous that he even has the guys drooling over him - well, the queer ones, anyway. But I'm not kidding about the black belt part. The other guys are out for new blood, which is to say you totally fit that category, friend."

"Like I said, Hijiri, I can take care of myself," Hisoka returned. Tsuzuki just looked at him, but said nothing.

Hisoka slung his backpack over his shoulder, glancing at Tsuzuki out of the corner of his eye longer than necessary. "Anyway, I gotta go. Got some stuff to do." And Hisoka dashed off to the next corner.

"A charmer, ain't he?" Hijiri lightly poked Tsuzuki on the sides, staring at where Hisoka was last seen.

"Maybe," Tsuzuki smiled brilliantly. "But it'll be crossing dangerous territory if I so much make a move on him."

"Oh yeah, I totally forgot about it." Hijiri imitated that smile. "Balls and chains?"

"Fiancée," Tsuzuki agreed, his eyes shining in amusement.

"Poor girl."

"Don't you have some other class you have to go to, Hijiri?"

"Yeah." Hijiri smacked his fists together. "Damn Kurosaki - he didn't wait for me!"

"Well, let's catch up to him, shall we?"


Even though Watari had assured him that his qualms were groundless, Tatsumi couldn't shake off the feeling that something was slightly out of place - Tatsumi had tried to analyze it from different views and angles, and found no reason that he should worry over something as trivial as giving his favorite person a gentle push towards love. But it wasn't that; it was something else - and Tatsumi knew it. Moments like these emerged if his senses picked up on the fact that something was going to happen, but that was the problem. Tatsumi didn't know what would happen. Longtime experience had taught him to trust these instincts - instincts that he had learnt to depend on whenever he felt something wasn't right. It saved him and got him out of more troubles than believed possible, but in this case, he would rather believe that it were the troubles that piled on top of Kurosaki Hisoka all throughout the week rather than a moment of disquieting prescience.

Tatsumi watched closely with sharp eyes. Sure enough, Hisoka came into view, strolling towards his direction - probably to his next class. Bent down to take a sip out of the drinking fountain, before he retrieved his schoolbag - it seemed innocent enough.

<Honestly, Tatsumi. You worry too much for nothing.>

So why wouldn't that feeling of dread recede?

He turned his back to Hisoka, walking away. No, it's definitely my imagination, Tatsumi thought, frowning. Perhaps the load of books and wine he had indulged himself to over the weekends had taken their tolls, and look at the wonders it had done to his wits. When the day was over, he would head over to Watari's apartment, settle himself contentedly on Watari's flabby couch and read the day's newspaper...

<Yes, I'll do that. Can't have Watari poking mean fun at me now, can I?>

Behind Tatsumi's back, Hisoka, in an effort to get into his classes in time, rushed by a few classrooms along the way...

... and was immediately yanked into one of the rooms.


"What in the world-" Hijiri exclaimed in disbelief. "Did you see that?" He and Tsuzuki rushed up to the doorway, where Hisoka was pulled in by his collar.

The door was locked. Hijiri tried to twist the doorknob as hard as he could. But it was no use - the damn thing wouldn't let them in! Hijiri began pounding on the door, his yells and hollers resonating throughout the large hall that earned him every attention of people who wondered about the commotion.

Whispers and conversations around them gradually stopped as Tatsumi and several other teachers hurried towards Hijiri and Tzuzuki, demanding the cause of Hijiri's continuous outburst.

"Bloody hell, my friend's in there," Hijiri snapped when someone tried to calm him down. "I was there, I saw someone pull Hisoka in, I saw the door slammed shut, and who the hell are you to tell me I don't fucking know what I'm talking about?"

By the time the other students managed to subside Hijiri's fury somewhat, and the janitor obviously nowhere to be seen or found, the only solution to the problem was for Tsuzuki to take things matter into his own hands, since his fellow teachers were just standing there, gaping at the scene. Tsuzuki cleared his throat. He met Tatsumi's eyes, and with a small gesture of Tatsumi's fingers and a nod, Tsuzuki placed a hand on Hijiri's shoulder. Hijiri was glaring up at him intensely.

"Calm down, Hijiri-"

"Open the door, get Hisoka out of there, kill those bastards who took him, and then we'll talk about it," Hijiri muttered, but stepped aside. "I swear, if they lay even one hand on him..."

"Enough, Hijiri." Tatsumi held up his hand. "Whoever's in there with Hisoka knows the limits of whatever his intentions are with him. God only knows what he'll be facing when we got this matter sorted out and discover the culprit."

"So break the damn door down already!"

"Aren't you the worried lad, Hijiri," came a sardonic voice from his right. "We've got fresh meat shipped to our school just last week, and you're already besotted with it, aren't you? Well, I'm sorry, but you can't have what's not yours to play with, dear boy. Really, all this fuss for someone you barely knew? What's more, for a boy, Hijiri? Must say I could never understand your tastes at all."

Kakyouin Tsubaki's comment had Hijiri breaking free from Tsuzuki's grasp as he stormed over to the girl, before Watari stepped in his way and blocked him off. "Now's not the time, Hijiri."

Hijiri glared at Watari, eyes shooting sparks. "Of course, you're right," he said with sudden calm. "I can't be bothered with trivial things like this right now, not when Hisoka might need help right now. Damn it, why won't we be let in, knowing it had caused this huge a crowd? The person's not that much of an idiot, is he? Whoever he is."

"What makes you think it was a guy who grabbed your new friend?" Tsubaki raised an eyebrow.

"For crying out loud," Hijiri reflected his thoughts to the decidedly pointless discussion. "How could you be in this school for an entire week and not notice the looks and comments the girls and guys were making about Hisoka? Don't even get me started with the football squad, especially the stuff your boyfriend's been saying about him. Seems like you totally lack in comparison, Tsubaki."

A narrowed - resentful - look from Tsubaki suggested that she paid no heed to Hijiri's taunting words.

"This is ridiculous," Tsuzuki raised his voice. "Whether or not this is going against the rules, with Liam the janitor disappearing to God only knows where, we have come to a conclusion that this door needs to be broken down, regardless of the methods that are used. Without a key, that leaves us with one option that's slightly more effective, anyway. Tatsumi, will you cover for me?"

"Gladly, my friend," the man replied behind Tsuzuki's shoulder. "Just remember you owe me a lot for this one, you hear?"

"Well, tell us," Hijiri burst out. "Without a key, we have absolutely no way to get in!"

Tsuzuki stepped back two feet, took a deep breath and glanced at Watari, who nodded. Judging from the solid material that the door was built, he could only hope it wouldn't inflict as much sting as his mind estimated. Hijiri was staring at Tsuzuki, wondering what the older man was up to this time. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise to see his teacher coming up with ridiculous ideas to solve his problems, and many a time could Hijiri remember being victimized as a result...

Tsuzuki leaned back a little - and kicked the door with as much force as he could muster. The sight of the door toppled down instantaneously caused Hijiri's eyebrows to rise up to his forehead. "I wanted to ask you what you ate for breakfast, Tsuzuki," Hijiri said, his gaze still on the broken door. "Since that's solid metal we're talking about, but I reckon now's not the time, is it?"

"Of course not," Tsuzuki smiled thinly in response. "Wouldn't want to give out my secrets that late now, would I?"

Hijiri shook his head. "That's not what I-"

"Tsuzuki-sensei!" someone shrieked.

Tsuzuki and the others rushed into the classroom, just in time to see Hisoka collapse. Tsuzuki quickly lunged forward before Hisoka could touch the ground. Suddenly, a loud groan emitted from under one of the desks of the room, a muffled jagged sound that had everyone jump back, and some darted out of the classroom, not wanting to take part in the complication. Those who were present were treated to a sight of Lee and Ade - much-recognized captain and junior member of the football squad - staggering to their feet.

"Lee?" Tsubaki gasped, and was about to sprint over to him when Tatsumi held his arm out, abruptly stopping Tsubaki in her tracks.

"No one will move further into the room," he bellowed firmly. "Everyone is dismissed into their lessons until further notice."

The sound of Tatsumi's voice caused Hisoka to stir, his eyes unfocused. Then he looked up at Tsuzuki, who peered down at him in apprehension. "T... Tsuzuki-sensei?" he uttered faintly. "...Call..." Hisoka's voice trailed off, as he gripped his sides in pain. Several people stared at Hisoka in alarm. The sides of Hisoka's shirt were beginning to stain.

With blood.

"Jesus, someone take care of that wound!" someone yelled out, pointing at Hisoka. But before Tsuzuki could fully react, Watari stepped alongside Tatsumi, holding up a small penknife. He had seen it glinting on the corners of the room - a quick stride towards it unveiled a discovery of crimson fluid lacing the edge, took one look at Hisoka's blood-soaked shirt, and it didn't take a mathematical genius to figure out what happened. Problem was, a small penknife shouldn't have caused that much damage, even for Hisoka and his frailty, but Watari supposed he could leave that for later. The unbelievable absurdity of these two boys - whom Watari was very familiar with in his office - could possibly lead to a suspension, or - at the very most - expulsion, if the damage done to Hisoka was found critical.

"We were only fooling around," Lee explained hastily, wincing as he massaged his bruised jaw. "We wanted to scare him with... you know, the knife and all, so... you know... he wouldn't go around acting like he's God's gift or something. It just sickens me to watch him prancing around, so Ade suggested we lock him in here-"

"Me?" Ade whipped around to stare at him incredulously. "You're the one who wanted to fuck him, so why drag me into it? Hell-"

"I'll see you two in my office right now," Watari interrupted quietly. "Until Principal Kaho comes back from his meeting, you'll be spilling everything to me - and I do mean everything - before we'll decide what to do." Watari fell silent for a moment. "Considering this is deliberate assault to an innocent party, this may be entirely out of our hands, and may lead to charges pressed against you two."

They went pale. "Now, come on, sir," Lee stuttered, eyes narrowing. "Look, he's in one piece, isn't he? And the knife was an accident - Hisoka tried to pry it off from us before Ade accidentally stabbed his waist... look, I'll face anything, just don't let me go to court or something like that. My mom will kill me if she finds out. I'll even do community service like what Jay did, so don't..."

Watari, shaking his head, could only lead the two students out of the room.

"I can't stop the bleeding," Tsuzuki rasped out while frantically trying to stop the blood from flowing out of Hisoka's wound. Prying Hisoka's hand away from it, Tsuzuki glanced at Tatsumi helplessly. "A wound caused by a penknife shouldn't have caused so much blood loss, but it seems there's nothing that could stop it. Nurse Lindy's out for the day, too. Tatsumi, call an ambulance!"

Hisoka's face was a mixture of grief, pain and agony as he stared up at Tsuzuki, who was cradling his head as gently as he could. The slight quivering of Hisoka's mouth, coupled with the grimaces the boy's features were contorted in made Tatsumi quickly dash out of the room to the office for a phone.

"Ambulance... now," Hisoka sharply burst out, his throat seemingly becoming hoarse. "Blood loss... will die... minor... cut... Tsuzuki!"

<Call an ambulance!>

"If what I think you are turns out to be right," the teacher spoke out slowly. "You're hemophiliac... why didn't you open the door when you had the chance? How long was it since you've been stabbed? Tatsumi's calling for an ambulance now... damn, if you're not the dimmest person I've ever encountered! Why didn't you?"

"Didn't you... ever think that I would... if I had the chance?" Hisoka managed to bit out. "I don't really... think... I actually want to be... manhandled by... those guys!"

There was stillness, before the silence in the classroom was broken by the sound of the words which Hisoka had spoke - "It's unfair."

And Hisoka grimaced as overwhelming pain spread throughout his body like wildfire, before squeezing his eyes shut, in an attempt to end the agony he was suffering through. His right hand ceased its movements.

<It's unfair.>

<I'm only seventeen!>

<So why...?>

When Tatsumi came rushing into the room, the first thing he saw was his friend holding Hisoka's crumpled body. Tsuzuki looked up, stunned.

"He bled to death..."


Hisoka awoke to the noises that stirred him out of his unconscious state. Although he was still groggy, his instincts warned him not to show the slightest of movements that would indicate his awakening. With his body deliberately eased, Hisoka blinked open his eyes - very gently - and kept his breathing to a minimum, his chest slowly heaving up and down. He only saw darkness when his eyes finally registered, and alarm bells began ringing in his head. Something brushed against his forehead.

He could hear a voice.

He tried to move but...

His body had been rendered into immobility.

In distress, Hisoka's eyes flew open and struggled against whatever had bound him. It wasn't hard, really - if he knew what exactly it was. If something had trapped him in this position, obviously he would feel it - a slight pressure, an indication of the area at which he was immobilized. However, he couldn't shift his entire body at all - and yet, he couldn't feel anything that could enable him to identify his shackle. It was as if his body was floating, and that concept was entirely too ridiculous to be even worth thinking. His eyes couldn't see anything other than darkness, but what his eyes had failed, his senses more than made up for it. He couldn't depend on the eyes anymore, so it was up to the mind, which had sharpened more than ever.

And he felt it again. Was someone stroking his forehead?

He could hear that voice again.

"...playing with dolls are tiring complications," the voice was saying smoothly. "But they offer so much more than what you people do. How is it that no one even finds out of this intrigue dolls would bring us, and mingle upon one another without a single care in the world?"

There was no answer.

"...Please don't ignore me. I hate it when that happens."

Hisoka fell silent. "Would you let me go for a while?"

There was a pause. "All right, since you're the only one here anyway. What harm could you possibly bring to me?"

Hisoka sat up straight, massaging his limbs. Although he couldn't see anything besides darkness around him, the fact that there was a presence just next to him should've fueled his sense of anxiety more - but it didn't. Perhaps it was the wave of tranquility radiated that soothed Hisoka's mind, enabling him to sort things out on what exactly had happened to him - and where he was right now. From the looks of things, he supposed he could very well be standing at the gateway to hell.

But that's impossible!

"This is hell, you know," that voice confirmed his suspicions. "It isn't like what you've read in storybooks, where you could see scary creatures roaming everywhere. It's hell, but it's not really hell. It's just something like hell... except you're completely alone here. Believe me, I would know."

"Hell?" Hisoka looked around. Of course he had died. Hemorrhaging to his death obviously rendered him ineffective in the human world, so he couldn't really stay there anymore.

But how could he have done so many terrible things that would land him straight to the depths of hell?

"Who are you?" He should keep calm, really. He should be freaking out - so why didn't he? Death had taken his life away, even if it was a bit on the unfair side - so why shouldn't he freak out? "May I know your name, whoever you are?"

There was a bright laugh. "You don't have to be so formal with me. Just call me Muraki."

There was light now, in place of the darkness. Hisoka could now see.

Hisoka was staring at a child.

"You're... Muraki?" Hisoka bent down, staring at the little boy. He had never seen gleaming silver hair like those before. "What are we doing here?"

"No, no," Muraki shook his head. "What are you doing here - I've been here since the beginning of time, and probably will till the ends of time."

"That's a pretty doll," Hisoka pointed to the figurine the boy Muraki was clutching steadfastly. One of its eyes were missing. "I take it you like dolls?"

"They're a great way to amuse your time," Muraki smiled, his blue eyes twinkling. "But when I get tired of them, the way which they go is straight to the recycle bin - to the flames, of course. Then I invoke a new one."

"You said this isn't hell - so where the heck am I right now?" Hisoka looked around. It was completely amazing that he should be calm at a time like this. Of course, it still hadn't sunk in yet that he was not where he should be.

"Well, if you want to get all technical about it, you can say this is hell," Muraki admitted, looking down. "But it's a different kind of hell. This is a place where lost souls go, and I'm in charge of this place."

"Really? Not a bright place, to say the least."

"Always hated sunlight," Muraki wrinkled his nose. "But back to the point, you don't meet the Devil if you don't commit any crimes - well, terrible ones, anyway - so you got sent here, instead."

Hisoka tried his best to comprehend everything. "So why am I sent here, Muraki?"

"You complained of the unfairness when you met your death," Muraki shrugged. "Most people do that when they're on the brink of their physical elimination, and since the Devil takes in all these pleas, he finds one that's actually worth considering. You're lucky he chose yours. By the way, how's the wound?"

"It's..." Hisoka rubbed his ribs. "Gone?"

"That's one of the privileges you get when you enter this place," Muraki walked away. Hisoka followed along. "It's a different story when you're decapitated, so try not to push your luck. By entering this place, we freeze your death in mid-time so you get to consider the options that you're given."

Hisoka blinked. "You froze my death? What does that mean?"

"It means we hold your death in suspension - let's say someone ran you over with a car. We can make it rewind. Being one of the lucky ones who ended up in this place causes us to determine whether we should let your death proceed or erase it. It's the same case if you bled to death. We either let it continue - or erase it. I tried erasing someone's death, and I got punished. But at least I get to tamper with the files."

"How... interesting."

"Believe me, it is. There's something about the feeling of power when you're holding someone's life in your hands." Muraki's face turned ugly. "If I don't like the person that's in my realm, then I can choose whether I should send them to the real hell or not." There was a pause. "So you better be nice to me, Hisoka."

"I will," Hisoka ruffled Muraki's hair, undaunted. "You're cute, so I like you."

"Really?" Muraki's face turned thoughtful. "It's the first time anyone said that to me."

Hisoka frowned. "It's the first time I said that to anyone."

Muraki's face brightened. "I like you already. But I can't keep things waiting, so let's get straight to the point!"

Outstretched tiny hands caused two cards to materialize. Hisoka stared at them, unblinking.

"Don't worry, it's fun once you get used to it," Muraki grinned, holding up the cards. "See here? You have only two choices regarding your death, so take your time to pick. Uh, I'll get straight to the point, since I don't want to bug you with this. Okay, this is the Sun." Muraki pointed to the card on his right hand. "The Sun has two rules you have to follow: Accept your death, and reincarnate a few hundred years later. That's it. Usually, it's the latter part that drove most people away. It can't get any simpler than that, and I take it you do have a brain to understand what I'm trying to say, don't you?"

Hisoka acknowledged the other card. "And what about that?"

Muraki glanced at his left hand. "Oh, this? The contradiction of the Sun - obviously the Moon. It allows you to resume the life you lost before. Hisoka, in your case, you would resume living the life of a seventeen-year-old kid who didn't bleed himself stupidly to death. The Moon's more lenient than the Sun, so you only have two conditions to fulfill."

"What are the conditions, Muraki?" Hisoka had closed his eyes.

"The Moon has a romantic heart," Muraki grinned cheekily. "You simply had to do something you had never done in your previous life before. Which means you have to commit something you would never even think of doing. Do you get my meaning?" Muraki raised his eyebrows. "Come on, don't look so puzzled... if you can't figure it out, can I assign the task for you? I can get creative, you know. Just ask anyone."

"Something I've never done before," Hisoka's forehead wrinkled. "And what's the next?"

Muraki paused, looking down at his feet. "To find a replacement."

"A replacement? You mean to take my place?"

"No, no," Muraki shook his head. "For someone bright, you're so dumb. I meant me. That's the other compulsory task you had to do."

"But..." Hisoka stared at Muraki. "If you said you've been here for the last thousand years, then..."

"Exactly," Muraki's voice suddenly dropped low. "Do you know why no one wants to take the Moon card? It's because they can't find anyone that would take my place. It's so disheartening."

"What kind of person would have to take your place, Muraki?" Hisoka asked tentatively.

"And do you know why they can't take up the Moon's card?" Muraki smiled. "It's because they don't have the brains to figure it out by themselves. Sorry, Hisoka - my lips are completely sealed. You're lucky you came by a thousand years later - the Devil used to lay down three hundred and fifty one choices for people to pick. It was such a headache at that time."

Muraki shoved the cards into Hisoka's face. "So which is it? The Sun? Or the Moon? Trust me, it gets better if you choose the Moon, Hisoka."

Hisoka closed his eyes, looking thoughtful. "Do you even have to ask? Of course, I choose the Moon."

Muraki sighed. "Then the Moon card it is! But before that... you still hadn't decide on what you're going to do for the first task. You know, do something you've never done before prior to your death? You have three seconds, kid."

Hisoka smiled thinly. "You know what? I'll let you choose anyway."

"Really? You're the best!" Muraki clapped his hands enthusiastically. "All right, how about this? I've seen you with that guy before - what's his name? Um, Sushi... Tsushi... Tsuzushi?"

"Tsuzuki...?" Hisoka offered uneasily.

"Yeah, that's it, Tsuzuki! You gotta proclaim your love to the guy. That's something you never did in your life before."

"I don't love-" Hisoka started to say indignantly but was interrupted by the smaller boy.

"You can never lie to me and the people here," Muraki shook his head. "Just do what I tell you to. It's as simple as that. Tell the guy you love him - and make sure he returns that love to you too, or it will never work. To sum it up, you have to say you love him before he says he loves you too. By the way, must it be a guy you're in love with? Times sure are changing."

"It can't be that hard, can it?" Hisoka wondered out loud.

"Of course not," Muraki snorted. "Then that settles it - you chose the Moon card, Kurosaki Hisoka."

"Yeah, I did." Hisoka nodded in agreement.

"Oh, and one other thing," Muraki said cheerfully. "Just because the Moon is lenient and softer than the Sun, Hisoka - that doesn't mean she's like that all the way."

"What?"

"When angered, the Moon unleashes fury incomparable to even the Sun. She is easy to rile, in other words. Which is to say... that they are... certain rules to be followed when you're completing your tasks the Moon assigned you."

Hisoka's smile faded. "What do you mean?"

Muraki clutched his doll tightly. "You only heard the easy part, Hisoka. You've got to learn that in both worlds, there is such a thing as being too good to be true. That's why you're the only one who chose the Moon card in all my years, Hisoka. It seems easy, to get the person you love to admit that love to you. It also doesn't take much to figure out just exactly who will take my place, Hisoka."

Hisoka stared at him, not knowing what to say. The lightness in his head was beginning to peel off its layers, and he was now hovering between the fine lines of reality and reverie.

This was real.

"The only catch is..." Muraki smiled cheerfully at him. "You have only eight days."