Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Sky and Bliss ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Note - Characters in Yami no Matsuei, with the exception of a few, do not belong to me but I do claim the rights to the story. This is purely for entertainment, and it served no purpose in gaining profits. A little short, this chapter - but will make up for it in the next.

Sky and Bliss

Yami no Matsuei

Chapter Two


Beginning one day after Muraki signed the corroboration agreement - in blood - a messenger carried the credentials from Muraki's province to the main branch. At the head office, the papers were passed and approved, and handed it on to two more machinists. Within minutes, these two were dispatched, bearing the full weight of an assessment on one of their most dominant elites, Muraki, and his subject. Restrictions were immediately to be initiated on Muraki; the number of lost souls Muraki had destroyed was too immense to be overlooked any longer.


Forcefully but cautiously, a frail hand reached up and hauled on the gnarled ring attached to the bulky windows. It gave open instantly, and the person jumped back. Hisoka stood next to Muraki obscured by the thick trimmed shrubbery, making sure not to make skin contact with the needles sprouting out from the plants. Precious hours were spent hunting down the locations for Tsuzuki's whereabouts - with entirely no luck at all, until Muraki suggested that they break into the school's registry system. Hisoka had been against that at first, but when the harsh reminder of the time limit set on his life finally sank in, the shattered doors and disordered files in the headmaster's office were of little concerns to him. Perhaps it was the knowledge that he was neither here nor there nearly pushed him over the edge, and Muraki's comical philosophies of life the only thing that had his grip on sanity. He still couldn't accept the incredulity of the situation he was currently in, but at least he was trying.

Damn if he wasn't.

The two had spent hours in Tsuzuki's courtyard, watching and examining every family member Tsuzuki might have in the family. So far, they had spotted none, other than Tsuzuki's occasional movements from one room to another. By the time Hisoka's heart stopped hammering Muraki had already concluded that Tsuzuki was, indeed, living alone. While they climbed into the room through the open window, Hisoka rubbed his arms and warily looked around. "I don't particularly want to think about what happens when we're caught. Bear it in mind that if that does happen, I will strangle you for getting me into this."

Muraki was smirking. "The things we do in the name of love - don't ever forget that." Muraki grasped Hisoka's wrist tightly and pulled him to the corner. A quick survey around the room showed that they were standing in the library. The lamps that hung on either side of the room was lit dimly to cast a soft glow around the room, quite effective if one was in the mood for basking with a book. A half-filled glass of red wine was placed on the oval tables, the couch rumpled, with strands of brown hair on it. Hisoka marched over to the couch and picked the thread of hair up close.

Tsuzuki's...?

No.

It was long - too long to be Tsuzuki's. But that was impossible! Tsuzuki was living alone.

Wasn't he?

"That's strange. We didn't see anyone besides Tsuzuki," Muraki commented, picking up the strands of hair himself. "It's glossy too - hey, do you think Tsuzuki might be into cross-dressing? If so, he needs to fix something." Muraki looked shadily from Hisoka to the door. "On another theory, this might've belonged to a woman."

Hisoka stared at Muraki, and then looked away. "It's not... I mean, Tsuzuki's living alone," he said, sounding as though he was trying to convince himself. "We didn't see anyone - hell, what do I care if he's living with a woman anyway?"

"You're doing it to save your life," Muraki reminded dryly. "I've sent the agreement to the head office, plus the Moon card that has your name specifically plastered on it. With each day that passed, the Moon card will deteriorate bit by bit. I know it's harsh, but you gotta get used to it!"

"Change the conditions."

"A bit late for that, don't you think?"

Hisoka shrugged. "I tried."

Raising an eyebrow, Muraki avowed," It's too late to back out now. We've sealed the deal, the conditions, everything. Breaking a contract will only lead you to perish in Saki's flames, and believe me, it's not exactly a blissful thing to go through. Which reminds me - what do you see in that guy Tsuzuki, anyway, since you barely knew him for like, a week? Rather quick to be falling in love, I thought!"

Hisoka couldn't bring himself to look at Muraki. "It's... personal."

"Yes, it's personal - it's so personal even I couldn't break into it, Hisoka," Muraki shook his head in admiration. "Whatever it is, it must be pretty special, right?"

"Something like that," Hisoka concluded, running his fingers through Muraki's silver hair. "It's a memory that I have - possibly one I'll never forget."

Muraki brushed Hisoka's hand away impatiently. "So tell me! The only way I can find out about that secret of yours is to crash into Saki's files, and the last time I tried that, he..." Muraki's face turned red. "Well, never mind that. What's so great about that secret, anyway?"

"I told you, it's personal. Drop it."

"No, I won't! You're being an awful brat, kid."

Hisoka snorted. "Look who's talking."

There was no more time for idle conversations, because at that moment, the door was slammed open. Hisoka and Muraki glanced frantically at each other, before scampering behind the shelves. From behind the bookshelves, the windows swayed back and forth, with annoying creaks. Bloody hell, Hisoka thought frenetically. They'd forgotten about the windows! But before Hisoka could whisper, Muraki jerked Hisoka to him and said," Look!" he pointed to the door. "It would seem that Tsuzuki's not living alone after all! Hisoka, you're in for a hell of a ride, I'm obliged to say."

"Great help there," Hisoka snapped quietly, not tearing his eyes off the person. "Who is she?"

"You're asking me?" The child asked incredulously, staring at Hisoka as if he were crazy. "How would I know?"

'She' referred to a woman who moved in the library with poised elegance that Hisoka could not help but stare in awe. Her long hair was in disarray, but it did nothing to hinder the exquisite sharp features, particularly her brown eyes. They reflect the eyes of a mannequin - blank, void and devoid of light. They moved around, sharp and calculating that Hisoka looked away. It did nothing to cease Hisoka's anxiety, because in that instant, he knew that she was somehow intimately connected to Tsuzuki. Hisoka couldn't blame him. The woman was beautiful.

"Whoa, she is hot," Muraki commented in admiration, apparently unable to tear his eyes away. "Hisoka, you've got yourself some competition there."

Hisoka didn't say anything.

"Cat got your tongue?" Muraki asked snidely. The woman staggered around, looking strange.

She lingered in the library, twirling her brown locks. "I... I feel faint. Tsuzuki!"

Muraki stifled a laugh. "Yeap, that's Tsuzuki's floozy all right."

"Will you shut up?" Hisoka gritted out. "You're going to give us away!"

Muraki's jaw dropped open in offense. "Kid, I could turn you into marshmallows right now, and forfeit the deal if I want to. Don't forget, I still don't like you, so watch what you're saying."

Hisoka's eyebrow twitched in annoyance. "Fine, I am sorry. Happy?"

"Not much, but that'll do."

"We didn't see her in the house before." Hisoka shifted uncomfortably.

"Well, we see her now, don't we?"

They watched in silence, as footsteps thundered across the hallway, and into the library. It was Tsuzuki, looking tired but jubilant. Hisoka's face was a blend of pain and wonder, and he closed his eyes, murmuring something under his breath. Beside him, Muraki glanced curiously at Hisoka but didn't say anything. Hisoka had muttered something suspiciously like 'God help me.'

"Maria," answered Tsuzuki, holding her elbow gently as he led her to the couch. "I've told you not to consume any more of that liquor; otherwise, you'll end up in an accident again. Do you want that to happen?"

"I fell off the balcony upstairs," Maria recalled with a dreamy look. "I felt like a bird... soaring through the skies..."

"Before you fell down with a plop," Tsuzuki teased gently.

Behind the shelves, Hisoka was having a hard time breathing. "She fell from a balcony? What is she, nuts?"

"No more than you, I presume," Muraki replied delicately, eyeing Hisoka.

"Don't be silly," Maria buried her face in her hands. "That kind of freedom was what I want... for us. No one to bother us while we're alone... and you won't have to go working... we'll just fly... and fly... and fly..."

You know I have to work, Maria," said Tsuzuki. "So I can be with my other friends."

"Tsuzuki's friends," Muraki commented thoughtfully. "That'll be... some guys named Tatsumi and Watari, right? Hey, don't look at me like that - I'm just checking up on your guy."

Maria stopped. "And I'm not important?" she cried, stepping away. "You'll waste precious time choosing them over me? How... how preposterous!"

"Preposterous, indeed," Hisoka muttered under his breath. "I don't know you, and I already can't stand you."

Muraki hid a smile. "Jealous much?"

"That too," Hisoka admitted reluctantly. "But I just don't like her."

"Maria-" Tsuzuki tried to put his arms around her, but she pushed him away.

"No! No," she said more softly. "I won't accept it. I won't. Tsuzuki..."

"I won't leave," answered Tsuzuki. "But try not to consume any more of those stuff, all right? You don't want to end up bleeding in the ground again, do you?"

"No," she answered inaudibly, wrapping her arms around him. "But it helps - it helps to get rid of my nightmares. I dreamt about you just now. You were flying in the sky..." Maria spread her arms wide. "I wanted to come to, but I can't - you just kept on flying... and flying... and left me alone. I couldn't stand it!"

"No one's flying, Maria," Tsuzuki let out a gentle laugh. "That's silly. If I can fly, I'd do that a long time ago."

Maria suddenly gripped Tsuzuki's arm. Forcefully. "Tell me it's not true," she hissed, her eyes wide. "Tell me you're jesting!"

Through the shelves, Muraki and Hisoka just stared.

Tsuzuki patted Maria on the head. "I was only joking," he amended softly. "I would never think of leaving you alone for the world." Hisoka could still see the worry engraved on her face.

"Please do not forget that," Maria wept, while pulling Tsuzuki's face closer. Hisoka looked away. "You're all that I have left. Abandoning me will destroy me - I can attest to that, dearest."

Hisoka kept his face carefully averted as they kissed. "I thought falling in love with that person was simple. What a joke," he said dully. "Now that I'm dead, I have to get him to fall in love with me - when he's clearly besotted with that woman. What a teacher I have... Tell me, Muraki - what's the easiest ticket to hell? I don't mean burning in flames, by the way..."

"What a funny clanker you are," he quipped. "There are no easy ways to hell." Then his face grew serious. "Look at Maria - do you notice that something's strange... about her?"

"Not looking." Hisoka shook his head stubbornly.

Eventually, they agreed to pull back for the moment, but it seemed that it would be highly difficult to get rid of the new obstruction in the way. In fact, they were so into their heated discussion that they had lost some of their awareness for the engrossed pair beyond the shelves. Even Muraki failed to notice the couple had pulled back, and Maria beginning to turn her face towards their direction. Something had bothered her ever since she had stepped into the room, and it was only by Tsuzuki that her mind was wavered elsewhere. But now, her ears had picked up the soft sounds of chattering behind those shelves - extremely soft sounds, but nevertheless, they were still there. Tsuzuki stared up at her questionably. As much as Tsuzuki's expression squeezed her heart, she wanted to get rid of those nightmarish voices. They bore a startling resemblance to what she had heard in her dreams. Could it be... that they were here to take Tsuzuki away from her? Tsuzuki had been her pillar for as long as she could remember, and anything that stood in her way, she would fight. They were dangerous. Everyone wanted Tsuzuki from her!

"Tsuzuki." She was beginning to find it hard to breathe. Hell would freeze over before Tsuzuki was taken from her! "Tsuzuki. Behind that shelf." She pointed at it.

"What is it?"

"Behind... there!" Maria was becoming hysterical.

Little persuasion was needed for Tsuzuki to rise from the couch and join Maria. Wary, they carefully sauntered to the first row of shelves, where Maria had claimed she heard the voices. Tsuzuki frowned. There were some books scattered everywhere.

But there was no one there.

"Maria, there isn't-" He turned back around, only to see Maria lying on the ground, unconscious. He quickly bent down. "Maria!" He shook her frame.

A pair of feet stood in front of him. Tsuzuki looked up, bewildered. "What are you-" His voice trailed off. A boy not seemingly older than nine stood proudly in front of him, the silver tresses of hair enthralling Tsuzuki completely. His eyes were unusually large, and it was what caused Tsuzuki to stiffen.

They were completely blank.

"Hello." The child greeted warmly, waving.

The last thing Tsuzuki saw was a fist coming towards his face, before darkness swallowed him.


In Tsuzuki's bedroom, Hisoka was soaking the cloth with water in the basin before applying it to Tsuzuki's forehead. "Do you really have to hit him that hard? How did you, a mere boy, have the strength to knock out a man Tsuzuki's size?"

"A thousand years will do that to you, Hisoka," Muraki chimed merrily. "Besides, it worked out all right, didn't it? Without my brilliant expertise, Maria would've found us out completely! Hah! So there!" Muraki stuck out his tongue.

"By knocking both of them out? I don't think so." Hisoka grimaced. He didn't want to think of the consequences that will befall them should Tsuzuki and Maria ever wake up." Tsuzuki began to stir slightly, but still he kept his eyes closed. Hisoka's heartbeat still continued pounding wildly. "That's it, we're out of here."

"Don't be a spoilsport," Muraki admonished. "If he wakes up, we'll just tell him that we saved him and his girl from intruders in the house. They'll never know. Geez, you gotta live life a little more."

Hisoka glared. "Unfortunately, I can't."

"Because you only got seven days left, pal," Muraki shook his finger at him. "Tough."

Hisoka frowned and turned away, keeping his gaze on the door with his arms crossed. Muraki hopped over to him, taking pity on him. "But think of it this way. With Maria snoozing in the library, how's your chance to make the moves on Tsuzuki."

"I am not going to rape him," Hisoka replied indignantly, feeling his face warm up. "How could you even think of such a thing?"

"Either that, or spend the rest of your life in hell," Muraki shrugged. "It's your choice."

"So you keep telling me," Hisoka shot back. "I'll do it in my way... somehow..."

"Somehow, he says," Muraki shook his head." But while we're on the subject - do you notice something peculiar about that woman, Maria?"

Hisoka blinked. "What about her?"

"She's... she's..." Muraki flailed his arms. "There's just something... odd about her - nothing you would know about - but I guess I'll have to check on it later. I wonder if Saki knows about it? What a weird aura around her..."

"A weird aura?" Hisoka wondered out loud. Just a week ago, if someone had told him there were shinigamis and other weird creatures flying around him, he'd either laugh himself to tears - or pack a punch. Now, he didn't know what to believe. "So, is she a monster in disguise or something? That'll be really hard to believe."

"Of course not," Muraki snorted, shaking his head as if Hisoka was too dumb to grasp the simplest of logic. "The last time that happened was 1500 A.D, way before my time. I heard Saki telling me stories about it - an old geezer hooked up with a young girl, and on their wedding night, the girl... well, you know what happens next. But anyway, Maria's... different. That's the problem!" Muraki cried in frustration. "She could be human, but there's a weird... drippy aura around her. Only ghouls have it, but the problem is, ghouls are soulless. They have no control. Maria has the qualities of a human!" Muraki held his head. "Ah, I'm thinking too much about it!"

"But it's impossible for Maria not to be human," Hisoka muttered, staring at Tsuzuki wistfully. "She's beautiful - and she must have qualities that made Tsuzuki fall in love with her." It hurts, Hisoka thought. The chances of him regaining the life he lost, was beginning to slim down. It really hurts.

"Shall we investigate further?" Muraki prodded gleefully.

"I don't have time for that. How I'm supposed to get him," Hisoka pointed to the sleeping Tsuzuki over his shoulder. "to fall in love with me, I really don't know."

"Hey, hey - how did you fall in love with him in the first place? I mean, I would know if it's just a strong infatuation for that man, but... it isn't," Muraki groaned, obviously confused. "I don't get it. I just don't get it. And now, I don't like you for making me confused!"

Wordlessly, Hisoka went to Tsuzuki's side. The man was handsome, even in sleep, Hisoka noted with a pang. "I'm sorry, but try asking me that another time. I'm... just not ready to spell it out yet. It's a very personal memory I have - Tsuzuki and I."

"It's the only memory you have," the boy stated, and Hisoka nodded. Somehow, he was still surprised that Muraki knew so much of his life before. "Rendered an orphan at the age of five, transferred to the Kurosakis, your foster parents, and now you died." Muraki shook his head. "You sure got it bad. Hate to break it to you, but the Kurosakis... it seems they're getting along with their lives pretty well, don't you think?"

Hisoka caught himself just in time. "We've never have anything in common, I guess," he said carefully. "I'm always making trouble..."

"You sound like a tragic character," Muraki teased.

"Let me rephrase that," Hisoka glared at him. "I hate them, they hate me, so I deliberately made life hell for them."

"That does put a new light on things, doesn't it?" Muraki tapped his chin.

"Hey... hey wait a minute," Hisoka suddenly cried. He turned to Muraki, eyes wide. "Didn't you say something about freezing my death? Rewinding my death even? Then why am I still dead?"

Muraki smiled sheepishly. "Because... I think it's more interesting that way?"

Hisoka was shouting. "How the hell am I supposed to convince Tsuzuki if I'm already dead?! Oh, that's sure enlightening. Tsuzuki is going to freak out if he finds out someone rose from his grave just to seduce the pants out of him! Did anyone tell you how much of a brat you really are?"

"You're crossing the line there, kid."

"You know what?" Hisoka's shoulders slumped in defeat. "I'm starting to wish I was dead."

"You already are."

Hisoka glared at him. "You know what I mean."

Muraki folded his arms over his clothes and pouted. "But you've only got seven days! How are you going to accomplish what you were assigned for?"

"I don't know!" Hisoka finally yelled. "But I'll figure it out, all right?" On the bed, Tsuzuki was groaning.

"You're right - you don't know anything," Muraki declared, his eyes narrowing dangerously. Suddenly, he seemed older than before. "If you do not fulfill the conditions set by the card you've chosen - which is the Moon - I'll take away your life; it's as simple as that."

"Muraki..." Hisoka didn't know what to say.

Muraki calmed down. "You're being a brat, Hisoka," he wrinkled his nose. "A pretty brat - but still a brat. I wonder why I put up with you."

"I never asked to die in the first place," Hisoka muttered bitterly, cradling his head in his hand - and a loud explosion burst through the doors.


For a moment, they stood there, unable to comprehend.

It was the structure of the doors - or what was left - raining down on them that prompted them into action.

Hisoka's first reaction was to push Tsuzuki from the bed to the ground, shielding the man from any potential dangers that could ensue. However, Muraki was doing the complete opposite, positioning himself into combat mode. What are you doing? Hisoka wondered in panic, holding Tsuzuki down.

"Byakko! I told you not to go overboard!" was what Hisoka heard.

Hisoka strained to see through the dusty air - he could barely make out the presences of people stepping into Tsuzuki's bedroom. Who're they? What emerged out were indeed two people - with black robes that were startlingly similar to Muraki's - their eyes that hinted of malice. Hisoka's attention was drawn to their hands, where something caught his eye. That's... a claw, Hisoka realized. The owner of the claw seemed to take a particular interest in Muraki.

Hisoka could not tear his eyes away from them.

They stopped right in front of Muraki.

"Hello." one of them greeted Hisoka from behind Muraki. "I see you're Muraki's new subject."

"And what a fine specimen you are!" the other cackled loudly. Hisoka couldn't help but stare. There was something unusual about their eyes. They're silver, he realized. The same as Muraki's!

"Who are you?" Hisoka managed, gaping at them. Muraki seemed to stiffen.

The taller one smiled. "I am... Touda," he replied quietly, slipping an arm around his partner. "And this is Byakko. My associate. We're both Shinigamis too." There was something strange about the way he said associate, but Hisoka was too confused to pay heed to it.

"You will understand if we stop the introductions at there, boy," the one named Byakko said smoothly. "We have other... slightly more important tasks at hand."

"Important tasks?" Hisoka echoed dumbly. He wasn't aware that there were shinigamis other than Muraki! In his arms, Tsuzuki was beginning to stir.

"Yeah. We're elites, of the same caliber with this little kid here. Entirely different fields, though. For confidential reasons, this case was given top priority, and that's why we're here. To keep an eye on you and Lord Saki's prized pet."

Both Touda and Byakko turned to the toddler before them, smirking," Hello, Muraki."