You're Under Arrest Fan Fiction ❯ A Biker's Obstacle: to Ride or to Love ❯ Prologue: Recollection ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Biker's Obstacle: to Ride or to Love


DISCLAIMER

All characters and properties of this anime are owned by Kosuke Fujishima, TV Tokyo, and other respective owners.

Oh, if you've noticed, I've posted "AUTHOR'S NOTE" sections in sections of my five fanfics; it will provide readers with info regarding anything related to the fanfics, and help readers understand better. I hope it helps.



Prologue: Recollection

Legend:

Word = denotes character thought

Word = denotes time, setting

|Word| = denotes sound effect



BokutoPolice District

It was a usual afternoon in the many offices of the district. The police officers here worked about their duties, heeding time to finish them. In the traffic section, most of them were stuck in their desk jobs, i.e., writing out reports and the like.

"|Sigh| I sure wish the time be quick. I'm hungry," remarked Natsumi Tsujimoto. Her face etched into a bored look as she wrote up a daily traffic report on her desk.

|GROWL|

Her stomach chimed in, as if saying, "Me too."

Few of her co-workers seated close watched her with amused looks upon hearing it.

"Eh... heh-heh... sorry," Natsumi embarrassingly apologized.

They resumed on with their work.

She rubbed her stomach and shook off thoughts of food from her mind.

"Impatient as always, Natsumi. It's just 10 more minutes to lunch," said Miyuki Kobayakawa, her partner and best friend, who was seated in front of her. She carefully arranged a small stack of papers on her desk.

"Miyuki, why should I also write up the traffic report? I thought you'd be the one to be doing the job."

"It's your turn now to do the daily report of our routine patrol. Besides, I've been always the one writing it, so don't complain."

"Sigh... if you say so."

After done arranging and cleaning stuff on her desk, Miyuki took out a magazine from her knapsack and began reading.

|TWING|

A pair of spectacles studied the magazine cover. It belonged to Yoriko Nikaido, the nosiest officer of the section.

"Another issue of the Famitsu Mechanical, Miyuki?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Mikuyi felt a pang of surprise as she turned around to answer her co-worker. She saw her anime-styled gleaming spectacles and bubbly mouth.

"Y-Yoriko! Don't creep up to me like that!" she stammered.

In another set of officers' desks from a distance, a pair of eyes adored the intelligent-looking beauty. They were covered by thick, dark blue lens of a sunglass belonging to Ken Nakajima, the dubbed "White Hawk of Bokuto Station" due to his motorcycle skills.

He was transfixed at her character --- her unique intelligence and skill backed up her pretty looks.



Nakajima's POV

As I watched at her, I couldn't help but remember that scene. I replayed it in my mind over and over again.

At that bus stop.

She crying against the chest of Mr. Honda.

Mr. Honda embracing her, being a support to lean on.

I was shocked and surprised. After finally finding the right time to sum up the courage to find her and confess my feelings, I felt something slowing down my heart from noisy, fast beats to quiet, slow ones.

I've been a blundering, shy fool who couldn't find the right words whenever she was near me. Why did this have to happen? Was this a cruel fate kami-sama?

I couldn't look at them any further. It was too much for me to bear.

I turned around and walked away to my bike.

|VROOM| |VROOM| |VROOM|

"Kobayakawa..." I sadly spoke her name.

|VROOM| |SCREECH|

I knew that I had lost that chance.

Suddenly, my mind was brought back to reality.

"Nakajima? Are you ok?" a feminine voice spoke to me. A hand followed, waving at front of my face.

I looked up to find it belonging to Aoi Futaba, the only, err, cross-dresser in the section. Well, "cross-dresser" wouldn't be the word I was looking for to describe him, uh, her.

Actually, he was originally a regular male police officer from another precinct. According to him, he took up a case that had him disguise as a woman. It seemed a mugger seemed to attack gorgeous women in the district where he worked, so he played as bait (disguising as a woman) and successfully captured the mugger.

But, there happened to be a personal effect on the case. It seemed he had grown fond of his woman disguise so much that he decided to become a woman instead. If you ask me, he's sure misleading; take a close look at him, and you'd believe he was a woman. Nowadays, he's being respected as a female by the rest of the section. And of course, he prefers being called a "she" in respect of his "new" gender.

Weird, huh? Well I guess it's not much of a fuss to argue about here in the section.

"Oh! Y-yeah, Aoi, I was just thinking that's all," I said.

She smiled and resumed about her other business. I shook my head to clear off the thought of Kobayakawa. What's wrong with me? I had lost my usual spirit whenever I was near her. I finished writing the last page of my traffic report from my routine patrol and placed it on the file lying on the chief's desk.

I sighed, mentally exhausted.



Back to Third-Person View

Miyuki noticed Nakajima's sad look as she watched him put his traffic report on the chief's desk.

Why does he look sad? Maybe he's tired.

He walked back to his desk and checked his things. He then patted a fellow co-worker's shoulder seated next to him.

"Going now, Nakajima?" the co-worker said.

"Yeah, I have some things to do in my place Genz," Nakajima replied.

"Well, you sure are leaving early. What about lunch?"

"I'll grab a bite to eat on the way home. Oh, can you inform our White Hawk unit that I have an announcement to make tomorrow at the locker room?"

"Sure. But what is it?" the co-worker named Genz, asked, confused.

"You'll find out. Anyway, take care!" Nakajima waved goodbye and left. He headed for the men's locker room to change.

Yoriko, true to her nature, wondered at Nakajima's behavior.

Hmm. Nakajima is acting weird today. Mmm, I smell an interesting tidbit of secret to uncover!

She rubbed her hands with anticipation.

|DONG|

The wall clock at the room rang signaling lunch break. Everyone breathed a sign of relief and headed to the precinct cafeteria.

"Ah... lunch time! Come on, Saori-chan!" Natsumi begin dragging along with her a petite female officer named Saori Saga (who was about to ask her to join her for lunch). She was a bright and hard-working officer who looked up to Natsumi and Miyuki as her role models of ideal police officers.

"Um, Natsumi-sempai! What about Miyuki-sempai? We should wait for her!" she stammered. She looked at Miyuki with pleading eyes.

Miyuki giggled at the sight.

"Don't worry Saori-chan; I'll catch up with you and Natsumi. I just have to finish this traffic route map for the next group meeting."

She waved them off and focused on her work.

"Saori-chan, come! Food waits!" Natsumi pulled Saori close, not waiting another second.

"Natsumi-sempai!" Saori shrieked.

The two left.

The chief walked to Miyuki and examined the map she was working on.

"Good job. Have that ready for the next group meeting by Friday," he spoke.

Miyuki nodded her head and saluted him. He saluted back and left, closing the door.

"|Sigh| I'll have to finish this now," she said, resuming her work.



Meanwhile in the men's locker room...

Nakajima combed his hair for the third time as he checked himself on a small mirror attached to the back of his locker door. He removed his sunglasses and looked at his eyes; they mirrored sadness and pain of the memory he thought of a while ago. Nobody in the precinct ever took a glimpse of his eyes, for he always wore his sunglasses over them to mask his emotions.

"Tch... damn," he muttered to himself.

There was always that side of him, telling him to stand up to his image and take in pride at his job. Sure he had lived up to his dubbed name, "the White Hawk of Bokuto Station", but it didn't matter much to him. It was just a reputation that he had gained. It was there that he displayed his talent in his motorcycle skills as a traffic bike officer.

But all that changed when Miyuki Kobayakawa came into his life.

"Ha, ha... now that I think about it, I never forgot the first time we met," he bitterly laughed at himself.



Flashback - Bokuto Police District; a Few Years Ago

That fateful day she first entered the precinct for her first assignment.

She was fresh off from police academy. Miyuki was lost as she tried to find her way in the station. So, she caught sight of the first fellow officer to ask directions.

Sure enough, she saw that he was a traffic bike cop. She went up to him.

He leaned against his partner, his reliable motorbike. It had assisted and helped him brave the rough spots in his routine patrol. He was in deep thought as he stared into the drifting leaves of sakura cherry-blossoms that passed by outside the precinct.

What's more to my life as a traffic bike cop? Sigh... another tiring traffic patrol. The precinct sure doesn't have enough bike cops to handle the workload.

|POKE| |POKE|

"Huh?"

He turned around to marvel at a mesmerized beauty standing in front of him. He watched her from top to bottom and saw she wore a police uniform.

Wow!

He stood up, his body rigid with a sudden feeling of nervousness.

"Yes? H-H-How may I h-h-help you?" he stammered.

Why am I talking like this! For some reason, I can't stop feeling nervous!

"Excuse me, but I'm a new officer assigned to Bokuto precinct. Is this it?" Miyuki asked.

"Ah... yeah, this is Bokuto precinct alright."

Suddenly, several of his few fellow bikers discovered the scene. They laughed at him, who looked like to break down any second.

"Ha, ha, ha! Yeah, Ken, going for her I see!"

"Woo-hoo! She's a beauty! Helping her out?"

"Hey, isn't that the new officer joining the traffic section?"

The two broke off eye contact, embarrassed by the teasing. Miyuki felt her cheeks redden a bit as she looked down the ground.

He on the other hand had his hand holding behind his head, and he looked up the sky, feeling his cheeks warming up.

"|Cough| |Cough| You must be the new officer joining the traffic section?" he broke up the tension hovering between him and her as he stammered a laugh to suffice. He forced himself to look back at her face.

"Y-Yes, I am. I'm Officer Miyuki Kobayakawa, Traffic Section. And you're?" She maintained eye contact with his after gathering some moment to talk again.

"Nakajima. Ken Nakajima, White Hawk unit, Traffic Section."

"It's nice to meet you, Nakajima-kun. Thank you for the directions. I must go now. See you!"

She then shook his hand, and went to the front doors of the precinct. Before entering, she waved at him with a smile on her face.

With some effort, he managed to wave back, and made his lips curved slightly upwards in response.

Then she disappeared inside.

His hand which she shook felt light and... welcoming. It shook little. Collecting himself, he managed to calm it down. His fellow bikers soon joined him.

"You lucky devil! Were you trying to pull the moves on the new officer?"

"Not bad, Nakajima, not bad at all."

"Ken, you really need to put some effort when you're talking with her."

He looked at them aghast, and waved off their teasing.

"E-Eh? She was just asking for directions, that's all! That's that!"

"Ha, ha, ha! The "White Hawk of Bokuto Station," crumbling in defeat in front of a new female officer!" they laughed once more, before leaving him alone and walking inside the precinct for work.

He could only droop down his shoulders and sigh, dejected at himself.

"|Sigh| But then again," he looked up the sky, "I think I'll be looking more forward to my job and life."

End Flashback



"Ah... that was a memory I won't forget."

He put back his sunglasses and checked himself for the last time. He was ready to go home to his apartment a few blocks from Zapper, a motor mechanic shop belonging to his father, Daimaru Nakajima.

|SLAM|

He closed his locker and headed outside to his own bike parked at his garage space in the vehicle section of the precinct. His patrol bike was parked alongside it. He dragged his bike outside, and closed his garage door. Then he hopped on his bike. With a few kicks to the starter at the side, he took off.

|VROOM|

As he rode his way home, he thought of her for the last time.

I've made my choice. This... is what I should do for my life.

He watched the afternoon sun glistening above as he sped off to his home.