Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Spirit of Flames ❯ Destined for Greatness ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I don't own YGO GX or any Nintendo Wii games mentioned so do everyone a favor and hang up on that lawyer. I also don't own Joann, MLo does and I thank them for letting me use their character.


"Well the whole school seems to have gotten over the Ra dorm incident." Ben said as he joined Mike and Hassleberry at the lunch table. "It also appears that Chazz is completely scared of Mike now." Hassleberry said high-fiving Mike. "It seems odd though..." Mike began. "What seems odd?" Ben said as he began to eat a sandwich. "That's just it, nothings odd, as far as Dad can remember something odd has been happening at least once a month whether it's some tournament or some whack job trying to take over the world." Mike said as he too started in on a sandwich. "Yo, guys what's new?" Jaden said as he sat down with his lunch. "Well the satellite's almost ready I'm gonna go work on it after lunch." Mike stated as he finished his sandwich and began shoveling down a cup of peaches. "Well, at five tonight Aster Phoenix is supposed to be dropping in to visit maybe you should see if you're awesome enough to beat him in a duel you've beaten pretty much everyone in school." Jaden said as he took an oversized bite out of his sandwich. "Yeah, maybe." Mike said as he closed his eyes trying to remember who he hadn't yet dueled. "Guess, I better clean up my room if I'll be having non-slifer, or Slifer living Ra company." Mike said with a slight sigh.

At 4:55 that same evening everyone who lived in the Slifer dorm was in Mike's room playing the Nintendo Wii. "Yeah, UNDEFEATED!!" Syrus cheered as he had once again beaten Hassleberry at Excite Truck. "My turn and I choose Wii sports to stomp Syrus at." Mike said as Hassleberry handed him the Wii remote. "Woah, twenty minutes until the big duel and...aw man five minutes 'til Aster gets here we gotta get to the docks." Jaden said as he pulled on his shoes and dashed out the door. "Wait for us Jay!" Syrus whined as he followed Jaden out the door. "What happened to no soldier left behind!" Hassleberry said as he and Mike followed Syrus. Mike being the quickest caught up with Jaden first, unfortunately the only reason he was fastest was because the docks were a whole 300 yards from the dorm and Jaden stopped running. "Why did you make us get here early I could've schooled Syrus at round robin and we still would have had time to get here!" Mike yelled as Jaden pointed to a huge ship that had just stopped at the main dock. A young man stepped down from the stairway that had came down from the ship just moments before. "Hey, Aster it's me Jaden!" Jaden exclamied waving. Aster calmly walked over to Jaden and shook his hand. "It's been a while and I see you've got some new competition for me." Aster said nodding in Mike's direction. "Yep, Michael J. Kaiba, finest in the academy." Jaden said as Aster and Mike shook hands. "My other friends will be arriving at my room any minute to watch the pro duel, guess I better get back." Mike stated as he turned to leave. "Well I'll be wanting to duel you eventually!" Aster exclaimed as Mike left. "Come by the dorm and watch the duel, that is of course if you want to." Mike yelled back. "Will do!" Aster said as he and Jaden started talking.

At the dorm Mike was finishing cleaning the room when he heard a knock at the door. "Guys, come on in plenty of room!" Mike said waving his friends in. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed that he didn't know at least two of the people that had came in. He approched the two girls and introduced himself. "Hello, ladies name's Mike I'll be providing the entertainment for the evening." "Oh, hello I'm...wait I know you, it's me Jasmine, you know from the party." Jasmine said. "Oh my bad, and you are?" Mike said to the other girl. "I'm Joann, Syrus must've mentioned me, didn't he?" Joann said in a shocked voice. "No, he didn't." Mike said trying to remember if Syrus had said anything. "Well I'm his girlfriend none the less." Joann said shaking Mike's hand. "Syrus chose, right then, eh?" Mike said chuckling. "Hey, Mike you remember the stuff?" Ben called across the room. "One bag of pretzels coming up!" Mike replied tossing a bag over to Ben. "Who's dueling tonight?" Someone asked. "Hold on I'll check." Mike said turned on the TV, immediately an announcer said. "Zane Truesdale!" "Alright, Zane's my favorite pro in the circuit." Mike said getting somemore stuff out of the cupboard. Syrus suddenly became very nervous, and began looking depressed. "Dude, Syrus what's wrong?" Mike said tapping Syrus' arm. "Didn't you here, after Aster beat Zane, Zane underwent a drastic change in personality, he became a cruel, heartless, evil person." Jaden said. "Wow, that's heavy." Mike said running his fingers through his hair. "That's not even the worst part now he disrespects everyone even his precious Cyber Dragon cards." Syrus said quietly. "Well the duel's starting, and I for one would like to hear it." Ben said as he put a pretzel in his mouth. "And by the way Mike these are Combos not pretzels." Ben said in a matter of fact kind of tone.

Zane started the duel with Polymerization to summon his Cyberdark Dragon he set three face downs and ended his turn. His opponent, a full grown man, who appeared to be of the business type started by playing Hysteric Fairy, he had it attack his Cyberdark monster but Zane activated Negate Attack to prevent the demise of his dragon. Zane used Graceful Charity drawing three cards and discarding two, next he activated his dragons effect to equip it with the Hell Dragon in his Graveyard stating that he had put it in the graveyard with Graceful Charity. He commanded his dragon to attack the Hysteric Fairy, with the command Syrus whimpered in fright as Joann held him for comfort. The fairy screamed in agony as it exploded. Syrus jumped in terror. "Syrus, calm down it's only a hologram." Mike said reassuringly. "It's not that,he's terrified of that dragon, he says he has nightmares all the time about it." Jaden said as the businessman opponent activated Call of the Haunted to bring back his Fairy only to sacrifice it for Judge Man, he then equipped it with a Lightning Blade and a Black Pendant. He commanded his monster to attack Zane's Cyberdark Dragon, only to have Zane activate Fusion Guard. He sent his Cyber End Dragon to the graveyard to negate his opponents attack. Zane began his move by activating DNA Surgery making all monsters dragons. For some reason he also ended his turn. The businessman simply drew a card and commanded his Judge Man to attack the Cyberdark Dragon, the dragon's equip dragon exploded instead of the Cyberdark. Zane lost some life points but by the look on his face and the cold emptiness of his eyes it seemed as if it didn't even register to him. Zane drew his card and played it to reveal a De-Fusion which split his dragon into it's three material monsters, he then played another Polymerization to re-fuse his Cyberdark Dragon only this time he equipped his Cyber End to it making a 5000 attack point monster, but with it's other effect it gained 100 more for every monster in his grave and he counted five which meant 500 more points to his dragon. Next he played Meteor of Destruction and a Dragon's Gunfire to bring his opponents points to 2200. Finally he commanded his dragon to attack the businessman's Judge Man. The monster grunted as it exploded making it's master's lifepoints drop to 0 ending the duel.

Mike turned off the TV as he began to notice that Syrus was shaking violently. "Syrus snap out of it, it's OVER!" Mike said shaking Syrus slightly. "No use, we better just take him outside for a little while." Jaden said taking Syrus from Joann's death grip and opening the door. "Well, I'm ready for a duel. Mike, you feel up to it?" Aster said stretching his legs. "No, I'm gonna go see if Syrus is ok." Mike said. "Tommorow." Mike finished as he left the room with Joann. "How about you, Ben?" Aster said. "Sure why not." Ben replied as he finished off the Combos and grabbed a duel disk. "My Combo deck is my best according to random duelists." Ben said as he stepped outside with Aster to find an open spot place which was still in full view of the small crowd that was watching as the two duelists began their duel. "Ben's got no chance." Both Jaden and Mike agreed. "Thanks for the support, Mike you little..." Ben began. "Hey watch your mouth!" Joann called down from the balcony. Ben mumbled what could only be obscenities under his breath. The duel got under way without anymore swearing from anyone..."SHIT!!!" Chazz yelled as he had apparently had done something that caused him some sort of pain.

Aster started strong with Destiny Hero-Captain Tenacious in attack mode, and three face downs. The hologram hero bellowed a ferocious battle cry as he sprang from the earth. Ben started off equally as strong with a monster face down and three face downs. Four giant cards appeared in front of him, one was horizantal of course because it was in Defense mode. "If that's your best then this should be quick. I summon Destiny Hero-Defender, in defense mode." Aster said ending his turn. Ben drew two cards because of Defender's ability. "I flip summon Swarm of Scarabs, and use it's effect to destroy Captain Tenacious, that's right I know it can bring back your other Heroes if they get destryed. Next I play Shield and Sword to put Defender's defense at one hundred and my Scarabs' attack at five hundred, now Scarabs feast on his Defender!" Ben commanded as his bugs devouered his giant golem hero. "Next I activate his effect and put him in face down defense mode "Ha, I activate two Destiny signals to let me special summon my Diamod Dude and another Captain Tenacios." Aster said grining as two more monsters, one made of diamonds, and the other dual shielded monster rose from the ground. "Do you not feed your heroes, they look anorexic!" Ben chuckled. "We'll see who laughs after I summon Destiny Hero-Doom Lord." Aster said as a pale white monster with a huge black cloak appeared. "Now Doom Lord do your thing!" Aster commanded as his monster placed it's hand on the face down monster causing it to disappear. "Where'd it go?!" Ben said as he jerked his head around to find that his monster was gone. "Two turns into the future." Aster stated. "Next, since I can't attack,I play two cards face down." Aster ended his turn. Ben began his turn. "I play Call of the Mummy so I can special summon Pyramid Turtle, next I sacrifice it to summon the Patrician of Darkness in attack mode." Ben said as a giant blue zombie appeared in front of him. "Ok, my move and I activate two D-Chains and equip them both to Diamond Dude. Now Diamond Dude attack his Patrician!" Aster yelled as his monster slashed at the Patrician with it's D-Chains. "Wrong my monster's effect let's me choose your monster's target and I choose Tenacious to take the hit." Ben said as his Patrician used telekinesis to make the chains slash at Tenacious causing him to explode. A few uneventful turns passed, the only thing that really happened was that Ben's scarabs returned but when they came back the Patrician took it's place. Ben used their effect to destroy Doom-Lord, but apart from that nothing really happened.

"My move." Aster said as the Patrician returned to Ben's side of the field. "Now I sacrifice my three heroes to summon Destiny Hero-Dogma!" Aster yelled as a giant hero rose from the ground to face his opponent. "Now that the monster count on both sides is even your Patrician's effect is negated, but my monster will make you lose half of your life points next turn so I'll end my turn for now." Aster said as Ben drew his card. Ben's life points dropped to 2000 leaving in a horrible position for defense. "I set two cards face down and switch my monster to defense mode." Ben said. "I play Stop Defence, to put your monster back on the attack next I activate my final D-Chain to increase Dogma's attack to thirty-nine hundred, now attack his Patrician!" Aster yelled as Dogma flew at the zombie slashing at it with two long swords that came out of the gauntlets worn about his hands. The blue zombie exploded on contact and Ben's life points dropped to 100. Ben was certain to lose but he skillfully had activated Call of the Haunted to bring his Scarabs back to the field. He had a smirk on his face which meant that he had a plan. "I equip my Scarabs with Heart of Clear Water to make them invincible in battle, next I switch it to defense mode, and end my turn." Ben said. "I summon Destiny Hero-Diamond Dude ahnd equip him with Cyclone Blade to let him destroy a Spell or Trap when he attacks, so I'll have him attack your Scarabs and destroy your Clear Water card letting me destroy your monster." Aster said. The Scarabs exploded. "Now, Dogma finish it!" Aster commanded as the giant monster attacked Ben, reducing his life points to 0. "Good game." Both guys said, shaking hands.

"Well now's as good a time as ever to start my schoolwork." Mike said as the duel ended. "What?! Why are you going to do schoolwork?" A shocked Jaden asked. "Let's just say I have a theory to work on." Mike said simply. "Well get to work." Joann said noticing that Mike had never left his spot. "I need your boyfriend." Mike said, motioning for Syrus to follow him. Syrus complied wondering what it was that Mike had wanted. "What's up, Mike?" Syrus asked as Mike closed the door to his room. "I have an assignment to due in psycology, it's a theory about how people do in a duel based on their cards compatibility with their own personality, or in other words why certain people are good with certain cards. I've noticed you don't have much confidence and don't get me wrong, your cards are good but I think you don't have much self confidence because people take your cards seriously. No matter how powerful they are people will not take them seriously, so in your next exam duel which is this Friday I want you to use these and tell me how you feel after you win." Mike said handing Syrus a deck. "How do you know I'll win with these?" Syrus asked. "Do you think you can win with these?" Mike asked. "I think I can win." Syrus said. "Don't waste your time thinking, concentrate on the match. Now how the monsters in this deck make you feel?" Mike said. "Powerful." Syrus said simply. "Now look at your vehicroids, how do they make you feel?" Mike responded. "Not as powerful." Syrus replied with a sigh. "Trust the monsters and they'll be powerful allies, meanwhile I'll make people take your monsters more seriously. That's a promise." Mike said as he opened the door so Syrus could leave. "Oh and Syrus, don't tell anyone about this, it'll contaminate the experiment." Mike said gravely. "Will do, and thanks for the deck." Syrus said gratefully exiting the room.

A/N: Yes, I thank MLo for letting me use their character. And Bumstott if your reading it sorry for making your character lose but Aster's one of the best, and I'll see you in school. Chapter 6 will reveal what deck Mike gave Syrus, which I can't wait to write about.