Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ The New Hero: Gladiator's Assault ❯ Tag Duel: Fight in the Shadows ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Last time..."Time to make you pay." Crystal's duel disk also activated.

"No! Let me. I've faced him in a Shadow Game before. I can win." Lucas said as he tried to get up again.

"Two on one is hardly fair, I think I'll need some assistance." Mako said as he waved his hand gesturing at the door. Veronica stepped into the arena.

"Traitor!" Lucas breathed heavily. He tried again to get up, failing again. Crystal knelt down beside him. She kissed him slowly before she responded.

"Steve and I can handle these two, you need to rest. Stay here for now, kay?" she asked. Lucas closed his eyes and nodded.

"Not what I'd have predicted would happen." Frank said. He drew back as he began think of what the writer would do next.

"Enough talk, time ter duel!" Steve said as he took his place and drew five cards from his deck. (Steve/Crystal's LP: 8000) Crystal stood twenty feet away and drew five cards from her deck. Mako and Veronica mirrored the action. (Veronica/Mako's LP: 8000)


Tag Duel: Fight in the Shadows!


Lucas watched in desperation, wishing he could stop the duel that was unfolding before him. He wanted to keep those who were now risking their own lives from continuing. (Mako/Veronica's LP 8000) (Crystal/Steve's LP 8000)

"I'll be making the farst move." Steve said as he drew the top card of his deck. "I summon the Flash Assailant (2000/2000) in attack mode, unfortunately he'll be losing some of those pretty little attack points which is why I'm setting three cards, activating Double Summon, and summoning my Skull Mariner (1600/900). A shirtless pirate holding a dagger in his hand and a ship with a giant skull hanging over the bow appeared in a spray of holographic water. When he did nothing else Veronica started her move.

"I activate Smashing Ground to destroy your Assailant, next I special summon Cyber Dragon (2100/1000) which I sacrifice for Mobius The Frost Monarch (2400/1000)!" A giant icy form rose from the ground, but it vanished in the blink of an eye.

"Good thing I had Trap Hole waiting." Steve said as his card flipped face-up. "You left yarself completely defenseless, not a wise move at all." Steve commented as a giant card appeared in front of Veronica.

"Doesn't matter now does it?" Veronica sneered as she ended her turn. Crystal drew a card and placed it almost immediately.

"I set one card face down. Then I activate Double Summon so I can summon my Gemini Summoner (1500/0) and my Lucky Pied Piper(1500/500), one more card face down and that's it for me." Crystal sighed.

"Finally. I play Polymerization, and fuse my Great White (1600/800) with my Abyssal Kingshark (1700/600) to create Gnarled Frenzy Feeder (3000/100)!" A giant school of tiny fish began to merge together, they made what appeared to be a giant shark with four legs along with it's standard fins. "Frenzy Feeder, attack Gemini Summoner!" The school all converged on the spellcaster.

"Shame, I activate Sakuretsu Armor to destroy your fishes." Crystal grinned when she saw the school explode, however they reformed on Mako's side of the field. "How'd they do that?" she asked in a confused tone.

"Simple, because schools can't be broken up as easily as most people think. When Frenzy Feeder would be destroyed by a card effect I can send one fish type monster in my deck to the graveyard to revive it." Steve looked a little upset at this comment. Purple fog began to form in the arena, encircling the four duelists, it began to form into a solid mass. Lucas' eyes widened in horror as he saw what was happening.

"Get them out of here..." he gasped. He was becoming even weaker and was having difficulty staying awake, but he needed to support his friends. Moments after he said this he lost consciousness.

"Alright then, since it's your end phase I can pay five hundred of our life points to activate my Gemini Summoner's effect." (Crystal/Steve's LP: 7500) The Gemini Summoner began to wave it's hand around making complex shapes in the air. As he did that a monster began to materialize on the field, it's muscular build preventing Crystal from being seen. "Meet one of my best monsters, Goggle Golem (1500/500)! And since I used my Gemini Summoner to summon him he gets his Gemini effect making his attack points twenty one hundred! (2100/500)"

"Alright then my tarn, I activate my spell card: Premature Burial at Sea! This let's me select one monster with Pirate, Mariner, or Flash Assailant from my graveyard and special summon it back ter the field. Come on back Flash Assailant, serve your master one more time!" Steve exclaimed as his assailant reappeared on the field. "Now attack the traitor now! Flash Ripper!" Steve commanded as his pirate dashed across the field slashing into Veronica. (Mako/Veronica's LP: 6000) "Not done yet, I activate my trap: All For One. This let's me summon one monster with Pirate in it's name from my deck, I choose: Pirate-Deckhand (1600/900), and he'll be attacking you directly." The new pirate drew a battered looking cutlass and charged across the field, he slashed the blade clean across Veronica's throat. She collapsed, gasping and grabbing at her throat. (Mako/Veronica's LP: 4400) "That ends me move." Steve said as Veronica drew another card, bringing back up to five.

"I activate Polymerization, fusing my Cyber Dragon with all of the other machines in my hand to summon Chimeratech Overdragon (?/?)!" A giant mechanical ball appeared on the field, almost instantly it began to move until four heads appeared out of it. "This monster's attack becomes eight hundred times the number of machines used to summon it." (3200/3200) The cybernetic hydra stared down the two opposing duelists with hungry eyes, it roared causing the rafters to rattle. "Now attack the Mariner, Assailant, the Deckhand, and Gemini Summoner now!" Veronica commanded as the hydra reared back and charged four beams of concentrated energy which it unleashed onto the four monsters. (Crystal/Steve's LP: 1400)

After the smoke cleared Steve's field was wiped clean, but the Gemini Summoner stood tall. However it looked different, it had transformed into a monster looking creature. "Too bad you've never dueled Geminis before, especially Gemini Summoner who can't be destroyed in a battle, I mean if you attack it now he's toast, but since you're gonna end he'll go back to being a normal spellcaster." Crystal said with a pleased look on her face. Veronica set one card in her spell zone and ended her turn. Crystal drew a card and immediately placed in her duel disk.

"I activate my spell card Gemini Spell! This let's me summon a Gemini monster from my hand, then give it it's Gemini effect. Here come's my biggest Gemini monster Chthonian Emperor Dragon!" a blazing red and black dragon rose from the ground and stared down the other monsters it's fangs protruding from it's thick looking snout. "I set one more card face down and end my turn." Mako drew a card, grimacing at what he saw.

"Frenzy Feeder attack the Gemini Summoner!" the command was halted when Crystal's card flipped face up, it was the trap Waboku which meant that absolutely nothing would happen. The school returned to it's position and the turn passed to Steve who drew a card from his deck. His eyes lit up when he saw it.

"I activate Curse of Davy Jones. This card let's me sacrifice one dragon monster and remove all of the cards in my graveyard from play so I can summon: Great Seabeast-Tiamat (2800/0)!" Crystal's dragon disappeared and a great blue sea monster wound it's way around the field. It surfaced behind Steve revealing the most threatening thing in the ocean. It was sea blue, scaly, and scarred. It's gaping mouth opened in a threatening display of teeth. "Now fer his effect: first he let's me halve our life points so he can reduce a monster's attack points by five hundred, and I'm doing this twice to take some points from yer monsters." (Overdragon: 2700/3200)(Frenzy Feeder: 2500/100) (Crystal/Steve's LP: 700) (Crystal/Steve's LP: 350) "Then he gets all of those points in attack points. (3800/0) If I don't destroy their life points we will lose the duel so I activate Heavy Storm to destroy all of the spells and traps that are in play." All of the cards exploded instantly leaving a clear shot into the monsters.

"You won't win the duel even if you attack and destroy our monsters we have four thousand more life points then you." Mako cackled.

"Yes but his effect let's me reduce my opponent's life points by the higher value either attack or defense points and it's level times fifty. Go Tiamat, attack the Overdragon!" Tiamat plunged under the field and dragged Veronica's monster with it. (Mako/Veronica's LP: 0) The holograms vanished and the fog began to grip the losing team.

"Time for the punishment, finish us if you want, we lost fair and square." Mako said with difficulty. Just as Steve was about to say something both Veronica and Mako disappeared, the fog going with them.

"Guys! We need to get Lucas to the infirmary, NOW!" Jessica yelled. Greg picked Lucas up, held him up by his shoulders, and began to well... drag him out of the building.

"He gonna be ok?" Steve asked from the back of the party.

"None of us are real medical experts, Mako's gotten us with those whips alot. This of course also including that we only had to take one, he took four. Sort of alot for one person to take on, especially after our little fracus." Greg said with a grimace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later in the infirmary...

Lucas was still unconscious from the incident. His friends stopping in every now and then to check on him. After Jessica left he woke up, completely unaware of his situation, only remembering slipping into unconsciousness before the duel was over. 'I hope nobody got hurt because of me...' he thought.

"So you're awake, that was quite the recovery, I wasn't expecting you to come out of it this early." a friendly young woman in a silver lined blazer, with deep red hair greeted when she walked into Lucas' room.

"Yeah...how long have I been under?" Lucas asked as he massaged his head.

"About two days now, and you'll be glad to know that your friends have scheduled a duel for you and some kid named Ben set for this afternoon, of course if you were awake." the nurse said.

"Perfect...against who?" Lucas asked.

"All I'm allowed to tell you is that his name is Rafael." the nurse said playfully.

"Great..." Lucas responded as he walked into the restroom to shower and change into his Ra uniform. When he emerged he immediately headed for the Obelisk Arena, after picking up his duel disk which was sitting next to the bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About one hour later at the arena...

Lucas was standing across from a spiky blond haired young man, both duel disks were already active. The blond haired kid looked a little agitated, but placed his deck into his duel disk calmly.

"I don't know what I did to you, but there is no need to be hatin' on me so bad." Lucas said as he drew his opening hand.

"That's quite typical of you Americans, always ignorant of those around you. Your kind have had your little time to shine, but now it's time for Japan to take it's revenge for all the stolen technology." Rafael said in a deep, intimidating voice. He drew his first five cards as well.

"Listen buddy, Americans gave the Japanese the technology they're so proud of, if that's what this duel is about then it won't be much of a duel then will it?" Lucas shot back.

"It's more then that, I've had a grudge on your people ever since I represented Tokyo at the world championships. All of the Americans took it upon themselves to make sure my time there was a hell. I'm gonna exact my revenge for what your representation did to me!" Rafael shouted, his yellow blazer flaring out behind him. (Lucas' LP: 4000) (Rafael's LP: 4000)

"Fine then, I'll go first, and I'll start with Gladiator Beast Murmillo (800/400) in defense mode." A blue fish with a set of mini cannons on his arms swam onto the field before crouching down and crossing his arms over his chest. "Next I equip him with Armaments of the Gladiator Beasts-Manica to keep him from being destroyed. Next I set two face downs and end my turn. Let's see what you got Raf." Lucas smirked as the blond drew another card.

"I activate my spell card Double Summon so I can summon twice this turn. Next I summon my Backup Guardna (400/2200) in defense mode, and equip him with Wicked Breaking Flamberge-Baou. (900/2200)" A giant purple monster leapt from his card into a crouching position. He then pulled a giant flaming sword out of nowhere. "Now for my second monster: Guardian Baou (800/400)!" A handsome purple skinned man with long blond hair, and skull armor fell from the sky and landed gracefully next to Backup Gaurdna which relinquished the sword to it's rightful owner. (400/2200) (1300/400) "Thanks to my Backup Guardna's effect I can equip one card that is equipped to it to another monster. Two cards face down. I'll end my turn here." Rafael nodded, and Lucas started his turn.

"Ok then this is getting boring, so I activate Resting Gladiator Beasts! This let's me return two of my Gladiators to my deck, shuffle, then draw three new cards." Lucas said as he shuffled his deck and drew his new cards. "Now I summon Gladiator Beast Raquel (A/N: Laquer, but this is the english name supposedly) (1800/400)!" The familiar tiger surrounded by a flaming ring pounced from behind Lucas. It growled at Guardian Baou, almost as if it was calling the Guardian out. "I can't argue with the tiger so go on boy show his Gaurdian who's the boss! Flaming Ring Driver!" Lucas shouted as his Gladiator Beast charged across the field, flaming ring spinning ever faster.

"Nice try, but I activate Guardian Barrier!" Raquel stopped dead in it's tracks. "If I have no Guardians in my graveyard I can negate one attack." Rafael smirked. When Lucas did nothing else he started his turn. "I activate Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy Manica!" Rafael shouted as a wind torrent flew from his card, and into the Armament. Lucas flinched as the pixels flew past his head. "Now Guardian Baou, attack Murmillo now!" the Guardian raced across the field, flaming sword at the ready.

"Pity" Lucas said as a trap card flipped up. "I activate Attack Reducer! This trap card let's me discard cards from my hand to reduce a monsters attack points equal to the number discarded times one thousand, I toss one to make Baou's attack three hundred." (Rafael's LP: 3900) "Now I can put Murmillo back into my deck, then I can special summon my Gladiator Beast Secutor! (400/300)" A green lizard lept from it's card onto the field before crouching down and covering it's chest.

"Fine then I end my turn." Rafael said as Lucas drew a card.

"I set two cards face down, then I set one monster in defense mode, then I activate Armaments of the Gladiator Beasts-Manica making Secutor safe from battle. I end my turn." Rafael smirked as he drew his card.

"I activate Twin Swords of Flashing Light-Tryce and equip it to Backup Guardna, sure it reduces his attack to zero, but it gives him two attacks. Next I activate my face down card Ultimate Offering letting me have an extra summoning at the cost of five hundred life points. So I summon my Giant Orc (2200/0) then I sacrifice it to summon Guardian Tryce (1900/1700) in attack mode." a handsome, youthful looking man in blue loose fitting pants, and a yellow vest flipped down onto the field then retrieved his swords from Backup Gaurdna. (1400/1700) (Rafael's LP: 3400)

"Why'd you tribute summon a twenty two hundred point monster to summon one with nineteen hundred?" Lucas asked in disbelief.

"Cause it's cool, that and I'll need that monster later. For now I set one more card face down and end my turn." Rafael's strategy was a strange and foreign one to Lucas. He knew someone used it in the past before he was born, but who? He couldn't place his finger on the original Guardian duelist and it was bugging the hell out of him.

Lucas drew and looked at his field carefully. If he wanted a better monster on his field he'd need either Dichaeri or Hoplomus. 'Wait there is one monster I haven't used yet, he could help me out in this duel, but I want to get his Guardians off of the field quickly. Guess I'll have to attack for now.' he thought. "I activate Resting Gladiator Beasts, you know what happens next, two Gladiators, shuffle, draw three cards." Lucas drew three new cards and smirked at what he saw. "I summon Gladiator Beast Dichaeri in attack mode! (1600/1200) Now Raquel attack Baou now!" the tiger once again charged across the field. It drove straight into the Guardian, causing it to explode instantly. Rafael threw his hands in front of his face as the hail of pixels rained down upon him. "Quit it with this stupid prejudice Raf, not all Americans are ignorant jack-asses, some fight with honor. You just met some Claifornians, they think they're better then everyone, not all of them of course. If any of this got through to you tell me after the duel. For now I activate my trap Gladiator's Assault. This trap let's all of my Gladiator's who are in defense mode switch position and attack you directly, since my only defense mode monster is Secutor he's goin' in for four hundred points!" the green lizard jumped into the air and crashed down right on top of Rafael. (Rafael's LP: 2900) "Now I put Secutor back into my deck to special summon two more Raquels! (2100/400 x2)" two more tigers leapt onto the field crouching for defense mode. Bringing the field total up to four for Lucas, two for Rafael. "Turn end." Rafael drew and looked at his hand carefully.

"All but two of my cards face down." all of Rafael's field filled except for one slot. "Then I activate Gravity Axe-Grarl and equip it to Backup. (900/2200) Now I special summon my most powerful monster, Guardian Grarl! (2500/1000)" A giant human-like dinosaur stomped onto the field from seemingly nowhere. It tore it's axe from Backup Guardna's hands and roared ferociously at Lucas. (3000/1000)

"Nice try, but I activate Invincible Fighter! This prevents my monsters from being destroyed, although damage is calculated normally." Lucas smirked when he saw Rafael's face, it was contorted into a look of shock. It changed however into a sly smirk.

"That's what my face would look like if I was worried, but one of my previously set cards activates: Meteorain let's me give trample to my monsters. Grarl attacks Dichaeri with Gravity Axe!" Grarl slashed Dichaeri across the waist, however it didn't explode. (Lucas' LP: 2600) "Not done there, Tryce attacks both your defense Raquels." Tryce ran onto Lucas' field, it stabbed at the tigers, but they shrugged it off effortlessly. (Lucas' LP: 600) "Time to put your Gladiators back into your deck and summon those same old other Gladiators you always use." Rafael said with a disappointed sigh.

"Okay, but I'm changing it up a little, Dichaeri gets replaced by Alexander. (2400/600) One of my Raquels however is being replaced by my most powerful Gladiator!" Lucas pointed to the sky where a shrill eagle cry pierced the tension. "Meet the most powerful Gladiator Beast in the game: Gladiator Beast Octavius!" (2500/1200) a yellow eagle with massive arms and legs wheeled around the arena before landing behind Lucas. A handsome lion with mechanical wings and full plate armor flew down right behind it. Rafael drew back when he saw them, their presence terrified him as they could probably rip his own monsters apart effortlessly. "Now Octavius' effect destroys Gravity Axe." Lucas pointed as Octavius flew up and began to flap his wings, causing a strong wind to rip apart the hologram of the card. (2500/1000) Rafael ended his turn and Lucas drew what he knew would be the last card of the duel.

"I activate Heavy Storm to destroy all of our spells or traps, next I activate my equip spells Armaments of the Gladiator Beasts-Gladius and they go onto my Octavius." (3100/1200) "Then I activate Wild Nature's Release to make Alexander a three thousand point beatstick right alongside Octavius at thirty one, and I activate Double Attack, discarding another Octavius giving the one one my field two attacks. Now Alexander attack Grarl!" Alexander grabbed Grarl's wrists and threw him into the stands where several students frantically jumped out of the way to avoid the flurry of pixels. (Rafael's LP: 2400) "Now Octavius attacks Tryce!" Octavius picked Tryce up by his shoulders and began flying up into the sky, when it hit the top of the arena it dropped Tryce who fell to the ground and exploded in a splash of pixels which resembled water as it had fallen head first. He then turned to Backup Guardna, and in a similair fashion the purple monster fell into the ground. (Rafael's LP: 700) "Raquel finish this, attack!" Raquel slashed across Rafael's chest, the force of the attack lifted Rafael off of the ground and threw him off of the platform.

"You were right Lucas, you took me seriously, and dueled with respect. I'm sorry for my rude behavior earlier." Rafael said slowly as Lucas walked across the platform. He held out his hand and helped Rafael to his feet. The audience erupted into cheers as the two duelists shook hands and left the arena. Ben met Lucas on the way out.

"Any idea who I'm facing?" he asked. Lucas pointed at the far side of the stage where a new duelist stood waiting already. He pointed at Ben and then at the spot where Ben was supposed to be standing. Ben shrugged and went up onto the stage. Where the audience greeted him with cheers rivaling those that met Lucas' final turn.

This new duelist was kind of different looking, he had an Obelisk Blue uniform, but it had weird tails that curved upwards on each side, frilled cuff links, and was slightly more navy then actually blue. When Lucas found Crystal he asked about the stranger.

"Any idea who he is, what deck he uses, anything?" he asked. Crystal shrugged before answering.

"All I know is that his name is Mike Warner, he's an Obelisk blue third year transfer student from West Duel Academy, he's an American, but he lived in Florida so you wouldn't know him. He boasts a one-of-a-kind deck that he has yet to unveil. He has some fangirls, probably friends, but apart from that he's extremely weird! He's into this thing called cryptozoology! What is that anyway!?" Crystal asked.

"Study of unclassified creatures, like Nessie." Lucas replied.

"Oh, well the duel's starting, let's watch." Crystal said as the two duelists drew their cards. (Ben's LP: 4000) (Mike's LP: 4000) "Duel!" both combatants yelled.

"Visitor's first, so I summon my Cryptal Beast Tokoloshe (500/500) in attack mode, however due to his ability he gets switched to defense mode." a tiny bear-like creature hopped down onto the field and crouched down, glaring hungrily at Ben with it's yellow eyes. Some girls made that annoying "Awwwww!" noise, Lucas however had reasearched the Tokoloshe on the internet and he knew that it wasn't always like that. He knew it could become ghostly, and that only little children could see it. "I set two cards face down, and end my turn." Mike said as Ben drew a card.

"I've never seen these cards before, but that won't stop me from beating them down, I summon Goe Goe the Gallant Ninja (1500/1000) in attack mode!" a blue haired ninja with red gi, gold armor, and a staff with what appeared to be a pot on the end appeared on the field in a whirlwind of holographic coins and cherry blossom petals. He thrusted the staff into the air and pointed it at the Tokoloshe. "Go Goe Goe, attack the Tokoloshe now!" Ben yelled as he pointed at the bear-like creature. Goe Goe trapped the animal under the pot on his staff. A spiritual form drifted out of it and landed safely right where it was to the confusion of Ben, his monster, and everyone in the room, except for Lucas and Mike.

"The Tokoloshe of African legend can take on a spirit form, and like it my Tokoloshe can't be destroyed in battle as long as he's in defense mode." Mike sneered. Ben grunted as two more cards appeared in his spell zone. "I'll take that as my turn, and I summon Cryptal Beast El Chupacabra (1800/1800)! in attack mode, his effect's nasty, I can reduce one of your monsters attack points to either gain that much in Life Points, increase his attack, or increase his defense. I'm choosing to give my monster more attack points!" A grayish blue dog-like creature trotted out of it's card and bared it's pointy teeth at the ninja. It lept onto the theif and began to drain it's blood and gain attack points. (750/1000) (2550/1800) "Of course he'll go back down at the end of the turn, but for now he'll attack! Go El Chupacabra, Vampire Dog Bite!" El Chupacabra lunged back at the ninja who raised his staff weakly.

"I activate Negate Attack to stop your monster and end your battle phase!" Ben said as a vortex sucked up El Chupacabra and placed it back on Mike's side of the field.

"I activate my spell card, Cryptozoological Study: this card let's me move one monster with Cryptal Beast in it's name from my deck to my hand. I choose my Cryptal Beast Nahuelito." Mike held up his card and placed it into his hand, he shuffled his deck and after all but one of his cards were face down he held up the card he placed in his hand. "Since he's the only card in my hand I can special summon Cryptal Beast Nahuelito! (2200/1900)" a giant sea serpent creature with giant flippers, like legs, a long neck, and a mouth full of razor sharp teeth surfaced from under the field. It's head reached up to the ceiling, showing how huge it was. It roared loudly causing the building to shake. Everyone covered their ears in pain. Mike just grinned menacingly. "Your turn, even if you get something good don't count on it being too good, even if it is it won't be able to defeat the Argentinian Loch Ness Monster!" Mike roared with his beast.

Ben drew his card, at the same time his ninja recovered it's lost attack points. (1500/1000) "Time for another new monster, I summon Trisha the Gallant Ninja (1500/1000) in attack mode, but that's not all I equip her with Fuhma Shuriken so her attack points exceed your monster's points." (2200/1000) A beautiful young woman with similar blue hair, red and gold armor and instead of a staff with a pot on it, she had a hook on the end. She bowed to Ben who nodded in return, then she bowed to her opponent causing most of the male audience to lean in closer, she was a woman after all, and teenage boys are perverts. Lucas kicked his feet up and chuckled warmly at the animal-like display unfolding before him.

"What're you gay?" some boy in the second year who was sitting next to Lucas asked. Lucas hit him over the head causing him to fall into the lap of a girl in the next row, she was clearly disgusted that some guys, including her boyfriend who was sitting next to her, were staring. Poor girl had another boy fall onto her lap.

"I'm not gay, just used to seeing that particular ninja's cleavage." Lucas called down. He swiftly apologized to the girl, and returned to watching the duel.

"If everyone's done looking, I'm making my move. Trisha, attack El Chupacabra with Fuhma Shurikens!" Ben commanded. Trisha swiftly threw her shurikens at the dog like creature.

"I activate Curse of the Tokoloshe: this lets me make one monster unable to be destroyed in battle this turn." (Mike's LP: 3600)

The shurikens sailed harmlessly through the monster but hit Mike right in the chest. He drew back and clutched the area that he was hit, but he was really fine with the situation.

"I set one card face down and end my turn." another card appeared behind his monsters as Mike drew a card.

"Just the card I needed, I activate my face down card Polymerization: this fuses my Cryptal Beast Nahuelito with my Cryptal Beast Each-Uisge (0/0) from my hand to create Cryptal Beast Mamlambo! (3500/2100)" A giant monster jumped up from a flash of light, it had the body of a fish, the head of a horse, and a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. "The term Mamlambo in African means "Brain Sucker" this monster would lure it's prey to the water's edge then attack it and feed off of it's brain, the only known time one of these creatures ever starved to death was when my late cousin went to Africa on vacation. Both his and a Mamlambo's body were found, the Mamlambo was thin and my cousin's head was left with only the puncture marks. Sad story really." Mike said as he bowed his head in respect. A couple of kids chuckled in the audience, but that was met with the monster turning at them and roaring loud enough to deafen them had the volume been any higher. Lucas watched with disbelief, he'd never even heard of those creatures being made into cards, he took it upon himself to ask about it. He ran to the railing, pushing some other kids out of the way so he could ask easier.

"Mike, where did you get those cards? I've never seen or heard of them before! What's the deal!?" he called down. Mike flicked some stray locks of hair out f his face and glanced over to Lucas.

"I made these cards, Industrial Illusions had a set designing contest, I won so they made the set and the deck I sent along with the cards. Here they are, my one and only cards." Mike said as he gestured to his monsters.

"Then how come you gave them effects with drawbacks, why not make the ultimate cards?" Ben asked.

"Because that would make me a jerk, I didn't win because of JUST originality, I won because I made fair effects that don't let me instantly win. However with my Mamlambo on the field I'm pretty much guaranteed a win, what with it being a thirty five hundred point beatstick and all." Mike grinned. He snapped his fingers and his Mamlambo began to race across the field. Ben watched helplessly as it came at his male Gallant Ninja. It wrapped it's huge mouth around Goe Goe's body then bit down causing a waterfall of blood to pour out of the satisfied creature's mouth. The legs of the poor Ninja exploded shortly after. (Ben's LP: 2000) Ben began his move with a vengence, his coolest monster having been destroyed by something he's never seen, fought, or even heard of before.

"I sacrifice my Trisha, Fuhma Shurikens dealing you seven hundred, and summon my Girodo the Gallant Ninja Leader! (2500/2500)" (Mike's LP: 2900) A huge man in blood red armor marched out of thin air onto Ben's field. Like every other Gallant Ninja he had blue hair, but his was pulled back in a samurai style ponytail. He had a katana at his side, and a bladed staff in his hands. He leveled the weapon at the El Chupacabra. "Now, leader of the Gallant Ninjas, attack El Chupacabra!" Girodo picked up El Chupacabra with his bladed staff and hammered it into the ground, slicing it in half. The weapon broke instantly, but was quickly replaced by the katana, which he leveled at the Mamlambo it leapt into the air to the astonishment of the whole audience. (Mike's LP: 2200)

"Why are you attacking the Mamlambo? He's got more attack points then your Ninja." Mike asked as he glared at the samurai who was descending at a rapid rate. The Mamlambo opened it's mouth, ready to swallow the Ninja.

"I activate Rising Energy, giving Girodo fifteen hundred attack points!" (4000/2500) Girodo slashed through the Mamlambo, guts flying onto the field, had they not shattered instantly the weaker of the audience would have thrown up. (Mike's LP: 1700)

"I activate my quick play spell: Discovery! This lets me special summon one Cryptal Beast from my graveyard!" the Mamlambo reappeared on the field instantly, the Ninja still charging at it. The Ninja slashed through the Mamlambo, cutting it clean in half. The parts disappearing shortly afterward. (Mike's LP: 1200) Ben ended his turn. Mike drew his card and turned it around almost instantly.

"I activate Curious Carcasses: this is like Pot of Avarice, but for Cryptal Beasts, I return all of them to their respective deck types, then I shuffle my real deck, and draw until I hold five cards." Mike drew four cards and held them up to his eyes, he selected one of them and held placed it on his duel disk. "I summon Cryptal Beast Ropen! (1800/1000) This new Cryptal Beast can attack directly if we have the same number of cards in our graveyards, we both have five so here he comes!" A giant red flash heralded Mike's newest monster. It had a long scaly body, a pteradactyl-like head, and red lights on it's wings and stomach. "The Ropen of Philipeanian legend is supposedly so terrifying that planes can't fly at night because of it!" the Ropen swooped down towards Ben who flinched to protect himself from the creatures massive talons. The Ropen glided over Ben and slashed his arm with a decently sized claw. (Ben's LP: 200) Ben groaned a bit from just being slashed in the arm, regardless of if the pain was real or simulated. He stared at the Ropen with a deep hatred, an 1800 point direct attacker should be banned, however it had a limited effect, if a duelist could constanly fluctuate the graveyard he could keep it from attacking. The question now is...how?

Ben drew his card and grinned at the luck he was just endowed with. "I activate Double Summon. This lets me summon two monsters this turn. First I summon Gallant Commander Einishi (1500/1000) which I sacrifice for Yamoto the Gallant Ninja! (2100/1600)" a monster which could only be described as Goe Goe's twin appeared in a similar fashion as it's brother apeared on the field. "Yamoto, take down the Ropen!" Yamoto vanished, quickly appearing behind the Ropen. It swung it's potted staff down onto the monster, blowing it to smitherines instantly. (Mike's LP: 900)

"I activate my trap, Mask of Darkness, this immediately ends your turn when a Cryptal Beast is destroyed." Mike said as he drew a card to begin the turn. "This has been a great duel, I've learned quite a bit, now it's time to end this I summon Cryptal Beast El Chupacabra. I activate the effect of El Chupacabra, I drain half of Girodo's attack and add it to his!" (3050/1800) (1250/2500) "Now I'm not going to finish it, I'm taking on Yamoto. Go El Chupacabra, Vampire Dog Strike!" the blue-gray dog raced across the field, it took down Yamoto and drained it of it's life as Ben's Life Points trickled down to 0. (Mike's LP: 900) (Ben's LP: 0)

Lucas hopped over the railing, and met his friends at center stage along with Rafael, who was instructed to after the duel had ended. The crowd again cheered for the four duelists. However once the cheers had settled down a strange man in the back started down to the arena. He had black hair which was slicked back, a fine pressed gray Italian suit, and high top shoes. Lucas shook his head and narrowed his eyes. He was confused as hell, what business person gets taken seriously if they were wearing high tops?

"Excellent work gentlmen, you demonstrated proficient skill with your decks. I'll keep this straight forward, I'm scouting talent for my dueling team. I'll be here for the next couple of semesters, following your talent, your classmates talent. And this goes out to all of you, do your best, you may be sponsered right out of school." The man said in a pleasent tone. Lucas didn't trust this guy, it may have been the shoes, but still nobody wants to scout freshmen who could screw up horribly. They should be scouting seniors, or the Kaiser.

"Who exactly are you?" he asked, trying to sound polite.

"Glad you ask m'boy, I'm Horus Kensei, I've been sent here by Mister Kaiba to scout the freshmen, he said he's got a couple of favorites already picked out. One inparticular being you Mister Forester, he said you have much promise." Kensei said to Lucas who locked up instantly. 'OhmyGod ohmyGod ohmyGod ohmyGod..." He nearly passed out on the spot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour or so later, back in the dorms...

"Ok Crystal, talk to me." Lucas said as he was putting his hands behind his head, leaning back against the head board of his bed.

"Yes?" Crystal asked.

"What was the deal a couple of days ago, before you dueled that freaky fish guy?" Lucas said as he shut his eyes. He was expecting a certain series of responses before she would actually answer his question.

"What do you mean?" she asked. First respose down.

"You know what I mean." Lucas said.

"I don't know what you're talking about." response two down.

"Come on, it was something you did, remember now?" Lucas began to chuckle.

"I don't know, tell me!" Crystal was straying off of the response path that Lucas carefully picked out.

"You know..." Lucas as he took out his PDA and began to dial a number. Seconds later Frank picked up.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Yo, Frank, remember a couple of days ago when Steve and Crystal dueled Mako and Veronica? What exactly happened?" Lucas requested.

"Oh yeah dude, well Greg blasted down that door, you got whipped by those whips, then Crystal made out with you! Score!" Frank went off.

"Thanks Frank, I gotta go see you later." Lucas said as he shut his PDA.

"Yeah so..." Crystal said. Her face beginning to blush. Lucas just chuckled, went over to the embarassed girl, and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"I'm assuming by that you don't have a boyfriend do you?" Lucas asked. Crystal shook her head slowly. "Well then we're gonna have to fix that." he replied, Crystals eyes lit up immediately. She wrapped her arms around Lucas and hugged him tightly, Lucas could hear his spine cracking from the intensity. "Crystal, you're breaking my spine." Lucas gasped. She let him go immediately.

"I'm sorry." she responded with a cute pouty face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next Time! Lucas doesn't trust Horus Kensei, and Mr. Kaiba having an interest in him isn't very believeable. How will Lucas deal with a possibly new villain? Find out in: Encounters: Horus Kensei Found Out

A/N: So we now have a pairing, not exactly how I wanted this to go down, but I'm sort of making it up as I go...if you want to see any new cards I have made up, or cards you don't think are real visit my card website: http://www.freewebs.com/glasfanficcardcreations