Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Dread of my Heart ❯ It is my entire fault. ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Who, are you,” this question rang threw the mountain range? “I am Ironheart and this is my granddaughter Chris,” he told me, kindness shining threw his old eyes. Had they seen enough, a lot, or worse then mine had? But why did I care? “Who are your friends,” the girl asked me? “This is Silph, my Eevee and this is Swift my…my Skarmory,” I told her, staring at the child's creature, was it a dog? Was that even the right word in this dimension? “Ah, you have noticed Sky,” she told me, smiling at me. I looked up at her, my gaze sunk into confusion. “Don't worry about your friends, I bet they will soon wake up,” she told me, looking at me with concern, but why was she?
 
The conversation we had was short; my loss of words made it cut short, that was a fact! The snow white dog barked a couple of times before running towards the small tent Yugi and Tea lay in. “Hey Sky wait up,” Chris called after him, so carefree and happy, I envied her. “You look depressed Trainer,” Ironheart told me, staring into my now blank expression. I nodded shortly, my head filled with memories. “You must have lost somebody very important to you; the sadness shines threw the blank eyes you have put on.” His words stung, how could this old man see threw me?
 
I turned my lost gaze away from him and looked at my small Pokemon, his eyes were full of worry and realization, he knew how I felt this very moment. Swift had been recalled straight after I gazed away from the small Eevee, I felt a sudden guilt rise again. “You should leave the past behind and find new ways, your depression doesn't do your Pokemon any good.” I turned my now angry gaze towards him, but soon realised that he was right, I was causing my Pokemon agony in the most common ways, by dreading, they dread with me.
 
“I…I feel…so guilty…,” my words trailed off, why did I even bother talking to this stranger and about such important things? His head nodded, he knew I wouldn't continue with this conversation. “I will go fishing; maybe our new destination can bring back your life spirits.” Ironheart stood up and walked away. I just took Silph into my arms and squeezed him tight, but not too tight. “Ee?” The question sounded more like a plead. “I will be fine Silph; I just need some time…time to forget.” My words were carried away by the wind; letting them travel threw the giant mountains that surrounded us.
 
Silph sighed once before falling asleep, he was too tired to continue and I recalled him back into his Pokeball, maybe it would do his broken soul good, was he even as broken as I was, did I cause him the pain? Sitting there for a while Tea's smooth voice recalled me back to the present. “Nika, we are going now, come on we need to hurry up!” Her voice sounded desperate, did I black out of reality so long? I stood up, gazing towards Yugi; his thoughts were far away again, somewhere in the past, just like mine. “We should get a move on,” Chris said to me, pulling me by my arm.
 
I tripped lightly once before I let myself get dragged along. The way was a strange road trip, over very breakable rocks, Tea had nearly fallen and would have died if Yugi hadn't caught her, my reaction was a blank stare. “You could have helped her,” Chris told me, looking at me sternly! “Chris, this is not the right time for her, her soul has been ripped for a long time.” Ironheart was so right. Yugi and Tea looked at me, even in their eyes I found concern and sadness about me, but why, Yugi was more important now! We continued our ways, passing threw hard stony areas, but soon we arrived at our destination.
 
The place had a strange but powerful aura around it. The stones in the centre of the canyon were put into a large circle, in the middle one bigger stone regimented. Yugi looked down once before slipping down the deep cliff. Tea tried to follow but got halted by Ironheart, my heart raced, something was calling me. The words `Yugi' echoed threw my brain. I looked up, I had thought too long once again, but what I saw made my consciousness return. It was YUGI, my Yugi, the one I had know for half of my life, his child like expression had not changed, his eyes as innocent as ever. My heartbeat speeded up, but not of fear, but of relief, Yugi had not changed that much, he just looked more determinant then the last time I had seen him.
 
I tried to move, but a small creature was in my way, Sky did not let me proceed with what I longed for to do. His head shuck, clearly meaning `Do not enter', but something else raced threw my head, Spark. I watched in sadness and grief as the two look-alikes started to duel, Yugi's expression changing into one of pure hate and anger and of madness, for power. My soul felt heavy, so split up and before I knew it Yugi had returned to normal and vanished back where he had come from, my hope shattering with the realization. The other Yugi shouted in grief. “I will save you!” His words echoed threw me, my hope once again gaining the best of me, now I felt my time had come.
 
I swiftly jumped over Sky, skidding towards the holy centre. “Come back,” Tea called to me, but my ears and mind ignored her. I ran forward passing shadow by shadow, had Yugi seen the same thing? He gazed at me in shock, as if something was about to happen to me, but why, had I missed something threw the conversation they had while we had walked here? Maybe, I was too busy with my own grief, had I just realized something? “Go back,” Yugi commanded, he was afraid of something, his voice didn't feel commanding, but helpless and scared, like that of a small child who had had a nightmare.
 
I stopped three feet away from him, staring down on a shining yellow light that slowly floated knee level. I kneeled down, opening my arms, I knew what was about to come. “What are you doing,” Yugi's voice once again was only a far away echo for me. The yellow light proceeded to form a small creature; its yellow spiky fur burst with energy and electricity, even if it was see threw. “Spark,” I whispered, letting only Yugi hear my words. “Spark,” his questioners echo collided with my thoughts? The Pokemon had materialized completely, showing a Jolteon in front of me, his eyes shining with sorrow and sadness.
 
“Have you…come back…to stay…forever?” My words cracked after every second step. Spark nodded in disagreement. My heart fell once again, grief and sadness returned, plunging into my very soul, I felt broken. More words echoed threw my mind, Spark's voice. “I can not return to the living, but I cant rest in peace either, not with you so hopelessly lost,” his voice awakened me from my blank gaze. “Do I cause you the same grief as your death to me?” Spark nodded with a sad smile. My realization about this fact made me feel even guiltier, he had suffered and he couldn't gain eternal life in heaven, not with me so lifeless.
 
“I beg you; don't live like this, my soul aches with every second more and more. I feel so empty without you, but my decision was made, don't give yourself the blame for my choice, I died for you and only because I wanted you to live. Think Trainer, what would have happened to Silph, to Flame, to Swift and the rest that joined us in our long Quest?” His words gave me a halt, a halt that could not be replaced by love or hate. My smile returned to my face shortly. “But…I promised you…we would…win the Title…becoming one of the best…Team, together,” my words hurt me and it seemed like it hurt him equally. “Nika, please do not grief about me, I will always be there to guide you.”
 
His appearance became more blurry as the earth shook. A massive creature erupted from the canyon, shattering pieces of hard rock and stone. Its body armoured, as if it was in war. This scared me and I held on tight to me ghostly Jolteon. Yugi had noticed the creature before, but a large blasting light of green trapped us both in a small circled cage. I stared at it, wasn't that the same magical Item that nearly disposed of my existence, if it wouldn't have been for Swift, it would have. Spark growled low before gaining the courage of sending a small jolt around us both, showing his fangs dangerously, he did not want me hurt and I could feel the warmth of his soul shining around me protectively.
 
As Yugi prepared for the dual, I and Spark watched, not knowing that Tea had realized who was standing by my side. “Is that Spark, does that mean Spark has actually…died? Nikashi's first Pokemon has past away?” These were the words, this small sentence sent guilt and sorrow threw her soul, I do not know why, maybe she understood now the pain I had gone threw as I lost him. Yugi had summoned the Celtic Guardian for our protection, even though, he did not know why the seal had captured me too, was I in any use? The monster like human attacked the Dual Monster, flinging his fists onto his sword, but the power of the creature was not strong enough to destroy the skilled Elf and he vanished into thin dust.
 
I sighed in relief before the earth shook again and the monster returned, gaining more power. Spark was now very disturbed. After every hit the Elf landed, the creature return with more power, it scared me that a monster could do so, return from the depths of hell. The Celtic Guardian was too weak in power after another blow and was forced to evade, Yugi guiding him. With a loud jowl Spark jumped into the air, releasing a large bolt of electricity at the opponent. The creature turned his gaze away from the Dual Monster and started an attack towards Spark.
 
“Spark careful, use Thunder Wave!” My voice finally came out in one smooth tone, I was so worried that Spark might die again, because of me, my fault; his last death was my entire fault. His eyes scanned me, more worried about my state. “It was never your fault, it was my decision, if I wouldn't have died, maybe you or Silph would have, or even Thunder,” Spark's voice echoed in my mind, I did not pay much attention to my surrounding, only on Spark and his voice. A blue stream of static electricity rang threw the giant brown human like creature, paralyzing it on the spot. As I turned my gaze towards Yugi, he was leaning on the circles edge, saying something to Chris, who disappeared into thin air.
 
My heart raced more, was she dead, had she died just now? “What is happening, why do I feel the sudden urge to battle,” I asked myself, loud enough to be heard by Spark. I stood up and ordered another Thunder attack which Spark returned with pleasure. I could feel how he hated the creatures that disturbed this planets normal presence. I could feel dread for the creatures who attacked me, I could feel…him, but why? “Destiny, my death was a minor price for your glorious future, I wish you luck my Trainer and never grief over my death again.” His voice sounded dull and far away, even if he stood in front of me.
 
A loud screeched fill the air as a large green dragon spread its wings in the air, shooting a large blast of white energy towards the brown monster, letting it disintegrate in mid air and vanish from this planet. The seal broke into shreds, leaving only me and him. Soon Tea ran towards the…three of us. She hugged me tight and pleaded to Yugi to never ever do that again, she feared for us both. I though stared at Spark as he slowly disintegrated like the monster had. Tea looked down at Spark, she whispered his name and he replied with a friendly `Jolteon!'
 
“Do not worry Nika, I will never leave you, I will always be apart of you…,” his voice echoed as he left this world, disappearing for good and never to return, I had understood that it was his choice in destiny, but the sadness wouldn't let me go just yet, not yet, maybe in the near future, but not at this moment. “Nikashi, I had no clue that he had died, what happened?” Tea's voice rang in concern. “It…I…there was a…Trainer, he challenged me to a dual…but I didn't want to. He refused to go and Spark…Spark was the unfortunate Pokemon who stood beside me that very moment. He attacked…the Dragonite as it attacked me…trying desperately to protect me. Then there was a loud whistle in the air and an attack caught my arm…paralyzed it…I couldn't call Spark back. T…Then…he attacked me again…a tree fell on me…I screamed…I saw blood…MY blood. I felt so worthless…I was so scared…I tried to get up, to help Spark as I heard his scream of pain…but there was another white energy…Hidden Power attack…it headed straight for me…but…something…bashed into my ribs…sending me flying into the next bush…it was…it was Spark, after that…I blacked out and found him…dead..,” I trailed off, the words I spoke, I felt more relived, but one thing crossed my mind.
 
“I will never see Spark again,” I blurred out. “We will though see Yugi again, if you are willing to give up your grief and follow us,” Yugi spoke, his soft voice sounded strange to me. I nodded as I looked up, clearly knowing what he actually meant. “I will always help someone in need…but don't mention it to anybody else.” Both of them nodded, they now shared my story and my sadness. We had a short look around; I tried to keep back my tears and anger of loosing my best Pokemon and friend. Soon Yugi discovered a giant stone tablet, showing Ironheart and Chris in a battle, an ancient battle, was that…Atlantis? Didn't Latias and Latios protect that place?
 
“Nika we should get a move on, we have to find Tristan and Joey, you know the two guys that rode with us on the train.” I nodded to Tea, smiling weakly at her attempts to turn the tide, to forget and lay the past behind, but I was not ready yet, not yet. I sighed low before following them, learning more about Yami's past. Was that his name, or was it a solution for a name, was it because he was the darker side that he called himself Darkness? We went on, crossing rivers and the first time after a long while I had laughed as we rested at a small stream. Tea had been moaning about her feet, while Yugi replied he was carrying a lode more: His dual disk.
 
I thought it was quite hilarious and for the first time I felt free and I knew somehow that this was the first step on letting go…of my past and Spark. My eyes scanned the area more intense and I thought it would be very handy if a Pokemon would approach, but in this dimension I had a small chance in encountering one, even if some did loose themselves in other dimensions. “We should get a move on it is getting fairly midday,” Tea shot at me, pulling me and Yugi behind her, energetic as ever and so pure hearted, at least, that was my opinion. We strolled around the canyon; it looked barren, empty and lifeless. I dreaded the thought that we had to run most of the way.
 
“Hey Nika, what about that small Pokemon you had and that big silver bird, where are they,” Yugi asked me, his words felt like innocence, was he copping Yugi just to make me smile? Now that would be a discovery! I laughed quietly before showing him one of the Pokeball's. “They are in one of these, I have many Pokemon, but most are now stored at Professor Oak's or even Birch's laboratory, I had just caught too many, but I raised them equally, even if it was a hard task,” I explained to him. After the sentence the questions boomed. What are Pokemon, why did they exist, why was I a trainer, how good was I, had I really won the Pokemon League challenge, how was it like to be one of the best, what is my favourite Pokemon?
 
I laughed at all the questions and explained details of my dimension. There were 17 different Pokemon Types with their own weaknesses and strengths, all shared out equally around my globe. They appeared everywhere, so you had to have own Pokemon to protect you from the wild ones. Everybody starts with a Pokemon when they are ten, I had gotten Eevee, which I named Spark after he evolved, I had written to Tea and Yugi that I had finally decided in a name for Eevee, he was now Spark. Soon though I wanted to train all Eevee evolutions and was proud as I had finally achieved my goal, no Trainer had ever possessed all Eevee Evolutions.
 
For one thing, I loved my Eevee, so I loved all the possible ways it could evolve, but I learned on my journey that I actually enjoyed all Pokemon's presence and learned all Pokemon were different. They listened to my words with care, soaking in all the information they would not need, but they still did so. Soon though our small chat was cut short threw a single card glowing in Yugi's pocket. After another few seconds the dragon emerged who had saved us from the creature before hand and I learned that his name was Timeaus. Shortly after I saw two more dragons appear, holding up an aeroplane, guiding it to safety. I was amazed that there were three dragons, the second Helmos and the third Critias.
 
Soon we joined with the other two, it was funny though that Joey was carrying somebody on his back and I found out that it was Rex Raptor, one rival of Joey's. The plane's door shot open seconds later, revealing a small boy who was not older then 14, or was he even 13? He quickly stepped in front of us, greeting Yugi and Tea. He stared at me for a moment before he asked them who I actually was. With a brief introduction I learned who Seto Kaiba was and his small brother Mokuba. I though, found nothing to disturbing in the name and shrugged him off as normal person. “He is the owner of Kaiba Corp,” Joey told me briefly. “And do I care, power does not mean happiness, I despise anybody who puts work in front of family and friends,” I spoke loud, so that the man could hear it, he didn't turn his head towards me in anger, so he was not any of those, I was relieved about that.
 
The flight in the air with a plane was new to me; I had always used Swift for transport, or walked. “So Nika what is a Pokemon Trainer,” Mokuba asked me after Tea explained to Tristan and Joey what I had explained on our way, Kaiba too, did listen. “A person who collects different Gym Badges and trains different kind of Pokemon, I raised them to become healthy and strong, so I could always be sure they would survive, but…it did not help Spark to be strong,” I cut off, the memory passed me again, returning a slight feel of guilt. I knew I had to fight it off; it was after all his decision and not mine.
 
Mokuba stared at me shortly before Tea started to tell him. “Well you see Mokuba…Spark was…Nika's first Pokemon… and he died not to long ago,” she explained, looking at me, I only nodded. “That is kind of sad, why did he die,” that question stung. “I…do not want to talk about it,” I told him, looking away. He smiled briefly before saying his excuses; he had gone over an edge that was the furthest I would let him go. “Can I see…one Pokemon then,” he asked me? Kaiba looked at his brother, not believing he would fall for such a great lie, would I show him!
 
I took out one of my Pokeball's, pressing a white button and letting it fall onto the floor. It jumped slightly before opening and revealed a small yellow dog with white spiky hair around his neck, a Jolteon. Tea stared at me with disbelief. “This is Thunder, an offspring from Spark, it was pure coincidence that I got this Pokemon egg, but I gladly accepted another family member and as you can see…he has stepped in his fathers paw prints and he is very proud of that,” I said aloud, Thunder beaming with pride. “Wow that is a Pokemon, cool, what can it do,” Mokuba was far to excited, but so had I been as I had gotten Spark.
 
“It is an electric Pokemon, it shoots sparks of electricity towards his enemy and fries it,” I joked with the words I used, I felt relieved having Thunder near me. He looked up at me, his eyes shining with surprise, never ever had I been pleased about his appearance, because of Sparks death, he had evolved to soon and he knew it, but he was glad to feel my hand stroking his fur. “What other Pokemon do you have, can I see them all,” Mokuba asked? I had to disappoint him, but he was glad stroking Thunder…
 
*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'* '*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'
 
Hours past and we landed safely in the ground, greeted by two unfamiliar people; one was Professor Hopkins and the other Rebecca. I had called Thunder back during the flight; he had become nervous with all the attention Mokuba had given him. I looked at her confused before we got introduced to one another. She smiled at me as she found out that I and Yugi had been life long friends even in separation. “A friend of Yugi's is a friend of mine,” she announced happily. I felt weird with such innocence around, she was a very nice girl with good behaviour and her IQ was amazing to me!
 
We went towards the small trailer, in which I was introduced to another friend of theirs, Duke. He was the one male who could say: You look good, want to go out? I smiled at him shortly, I was wary of such guys; my experience had not led me to such boys before. We joked around only a short time before a sudden horde of creatures appeared again, circling us in. I was afraid a short time but saw that even Rebecca and Joey tried to help, so I picked one of my Pokeball's and threw it into the air. With a burst of light another Pokemon formed, her shiny fins glowed in the shine of the street lights.
 
“Wow, what is that,” Mokuba suddenly questioned? “Rain, time to turn the tide, Ice Beam!” My Vaporeon responded with a mighty blast of white and light blue light, freezing the opponents on the spot, before I took out something that was now more important to me then anything else, it had been hard to gain their trust and I would never deceive them. “Nika what kind of card are you holding,” Tea asked me, worried? I lifted the card up into the sky, blast of blue and white light emerged from it, forming a massive dragon / dinosaur creature that resembled a bird in another way. His shining white aura streamed from his body and a smooth song filled the air.
 
The long dragon like tail hung from his body before four tine blue fins or feathers appeared, his ocean blue eyes scanning the horde of creatures in front of us. “Nika who is that,” Yugi asked me, his eyes shining with more hope, Kaiba himself was amazed, he had never seen such a monster before…no…no monster but a Pokemon. “Lugia,” I called to him, he responded with a nod. His mouth began to shine a brilliant blue and white. “Lugia Areoblast!” The light formed fast into a stream of energy, destroying the creatures in front of us one by one, not letting them return.
 
Soon all the monster soldiers had disappeared and Lugia floated down towards me, shortly speaking to me with telepathy and then vanishing back into his card. “What did he say to you,” Yugi asked me, he was the first person I had actually heard. “He said…be aware, your light might fade, don't let him take advantage of you just because your soul hasn't healed.” With that, Kaiba and Yugi ran off, later Joey went as well with Tristan and I followed Tea.
 
Soon though I lost her and the night had taken its advantage. Rain had been recalled and another Pokemon got exposed, my Umbreon Night. His small yellow patterns shined in the night, letting me see more clearly then before. “Thanks Night, you are a great helper,” I told him, earning a smile from him. We ran around the large City, trying to find Tea, but we never did. A few moments later a loud screech filled the air again and a dragon stood at the top of the building. Night understood his calls and motioned to me what it said. “Joey,” I breathed once, I did not know him well, but that meant he had lost and had lost his soul. I ran past the next couple of blocks, searching franticly for any sign of Yugi and Tea, Night always by my side.
 
We searched further, but stopped as we found out that we were totally lost. “Sorry Night, this is my entire fault,” I panted before sitting down on the ground. “Umbre eon eon!” My Pokemon tried to cheer me up and it was working. I felt relieved, I had somebody near me. I shut my eyes for one second and voice echoed threw my mind, I sprang up, not letting it threw my soul, I knew something was about to happen. “Night…I want you to return,” I said bluntly before I recalled a worried Umbreon. I placed the Pokeball back onto my belt and searched the place or street I now stood in. “Who is there,” I asked? No answer. “I mean it, who is there, show yourself!”
 
A cruel laugh rang threw the streets before a dazzling light surrounded me. After that, I remember no more…