Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ In Your Eyes ❯ Rescue Center Encounter ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own neither Sailor Moon nor Yu-Gi-Oh

Sharem: Oh! I did not mention in the prologue when this story takes place. It takes place about two years after the end of the Stars season. I really don't know about Yu-Gi-Oh because all I've seen are the episodes that are shown on WB. But I do read Shonen Jump and they have the manga of Yu-Gi-Oh in it…^_^

Oh! If anyone is interested in getting updates on the progress of my stories, please join my Yahoo! Group, Sharem's Fanfiction. The link to it is in my profile…^_^

In Your Eyes

Chapter Two - Rescue Center Encounter

Two months went by since Makoto began getting rides to her job at the Domino Wildlife Rescue Center. She took care of the bunnies, cats and dogs that were abandoned by people who did not want them as pets anymore. She cleaned the cages and kennels and made sure that the animals were fed. Even though most of the animals that came to the center were wild, the center would take in domestic animals such as dogs, cats and other domesticated creatures.

It was currently lunchtime for the tall brunette as she made her way to the employee picnic area in the courtyard. She would think about that blonde man she had made friends with on the bus and wished that she knew his name. When she reached her destination, Makoto sat down at a table that was shaded by a huge tree. She took out her lunch and set the food out in front of her as she gazed about her surroundings.

'I must have it bad,' she thought to herself as she took a bite out of a sandwich she brought. 'It's been two months since I last saw "Buddy" and I am still thinking about him.'

A door opened in a nearby building and a blue haired young woman glanced out that the courtyard and sighed as she watched her friend eat her lunch. She was about to join her friend for lunch when another young woman approached her.

"Hey there, Ami," the newcomer replied as she saw Makoto eating her lunch alone. "Is Makoto still mooning over that guy from the bus?"

Ami turned to face the young woman and smiled at the girl. She had brown hair that was about shoulder length and blue-gray eyes. "Hi, Anzu…and yes, she still thinks about the guy," she answered quietly. "I just know that she probably dreams about him as well."

Anzu sighed and then smiled a little. "I have an idea…how about we have a girls' night out tomorrow night?" she suggested. "It'll be you, me, and Makoto. And I won't take 'no' for answer."

The blue haired young woman had a small smile on her face and then nodded. "I don't see why not," she answered softly. "Makoto needs to get out and have some fun."

"You need to have fun as well, Ami," Anzu remarked. "You work so hard helping the animals get better. You even work on what should be your days off. Anyway, I'm going to tell Makoto that we are going out tomorrow."

Ami nodded as she watched the brunette go over to her tall friend. She smiled as she watched the two begin to talk a little and then went back inside the building. As she was walking through the hallway, she saw some people there who were wanted to adopt an animal or two. Just as she walked past one of the adoption rooms, a tall young man with brown hair and cobalt eyes walked out of the room with one of the animal adoption counselors.

"Thank you for coming to the center, Mr. Kaiba," the counselor began, "and I hope that you will find the animal you are looking for."

"I'm sure that I will," Seto Kaiba responded as he glanced at the passing young woman. He noticed that she was wearing the uniform that the veterinary staff would wear. "So all I do now is just go over to the building that houses the dogs and cats?"

The enthusiastic counselor nodded as she led the CEO through the hallway and outside. The young man's cobalt eyes took in his surroundings and made some mental notes about donating money to this animal rescue center. As they went by the courtyard, he groaned inwardly as he recognized one of the girls sitting down at the picnic tables. He hoped that the girl, Anzu, would not notice him and walked quickly by them. Luck was with him as the girl did not even glance at him.

A little ways away, Seto and the counselor approached the building that held the dogs, rabbits, and cats. "Mr. Kaiba, this is where we keep the dogs, cats, and rabbits. I'll stay in here with you until the employee who works in here gets off from lunch. She would know which animal would be the best for your little brother."

The tall brunette just nodded as they walked through the building and gazed at the dogs. They were talking about them for a few minutes when Makoto entered the building. She put the leftovers from her lunch in the refrigerator that was near the door and put on a pair of rubber gloves. She was about to start finish cleaning some of the cages when the counselor got her attention.

"Makoto!" the counselor called out, a smile on her face. "I have someone who wants to adopt an animal for his little brother."

The senshi of Jupiter took a quick look over at the two people and sighed inwardly. She just knew that she would become behind in the day's work if she has to help someone pick out an animal to adopt. Unfortunately, in her mind, it was part of the job description so she took the gloves off and walked over to them. She put on a smile and looked at the counselor. The woman was short with mousy brown hair and insipid brown eyes. The young man, however, was something else. He was tall with rich brown hair and amazing cobalt eyes and he seemed to exude a business-like aura.

Makoto took in a deep breath and let it out as she held out her hand. "Hello, I'm Makoto Kino," she said, introducing herself. "I take care of the animals in this building."

Seto turned his head as he heard the door open and was amazed at the beauty the young woman had as she walked inside. She was tall with brown hair that had red highlights and it was pulled back in a ponytail and she had beautiful emerald green eyes. He watched how graceful she was as she put something away in the refrigerator and put on a pair of gloves. He also watched as the counselor got the young woman's attention and saw the girl put on a fake smile. He frowned mentally at that but pushed that to the back of his mind. The next thing he knew, the girl introduced herself and was holding out her hand in greeting.

The CEO nodded and shook Makoto's hand, marveling at the softness of her skin. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Kino," he replied. "I'm Seto Kaiba. I'm here looking for a good pet for my little brother, Mokuba. Mrs. Tanaka here said that you will be able to help me pick one out."

Makoto nodded as she saw Mrs. Tanaka, the counselor, make her way to the door. "When you have picked out the animal you want, Mr. Kaiba, please come to my office and have Miss Kino bring it over for you," Mrs. Tanaka called out as she left.

Seto watched the dumpy-looking woman leave the building and then turned to face Makoto. "I specifically want to get a dog for my brother," he stated in a business-like manner. "If it is possible, I would rather get a puppy. Can you help me, Miss Kino? Mrs. Tanaka said that you would know which animal would be best."

Makoto nodded as she led the tall brunette over to the rooms that housed the dogs and puppies. "You're in luck, Mr. Kaiba," she began as she opened the door for the young man. "Someone abandoned some puppies a couple of days ago and they were put in the puppy daycare room. And please, call me Makoto."

The CEO nodded as he followed the young woman over to a small room. It had ten open-air kennels with approximately two puppies in each kennel. Makoto let the tall brunette observe the puppies and she kept an eye on the young man surreptitiously. 'He is quite good-looking,' she thought to herself as she walked over to one of the kennels. 'But…he is not as handsome as "Buddy" is…'

She peered into the kennel and picked up the one puppy that was inside. It was a golden retriever pup with pretty brown eyes. It also reminded her of her bus buddy. She then walked over to Seto and showed the canine to him. "I think that this one would be the best for your brother," she suggested as she rubbed the pup's head.

Seto looked at the pup and smiled softly at it as the canine wagged its tail excitedly. "I believe that you are right," he admitted as he gazed into the young woman's emerald eyes. "And I didn't even tell you about my brother's personality. You are just good, I suppose."

Makoto blushed slightly at the compliment and smiled shyly. "Oh, I'm not…it's just that retrievers are loyal and usually are good with children."

The CEO chuckled and smirked at the brunette. "And you are quite modest," he remarked as he gazed over her form appreciatively. "I know that this is sudden…and I usually do not do this…but could you have dinner with me tomorrow night?"

"Um…I…I can't," Makoto stammered, a little shocked that the richest man in Domino asked HER out on a date. "I'm going out tomorrow night with Ami and Anzu."

The tall man's face hardened slightly at the mention of Anzu. "You know Anzu Masaki…She works at this wildlife center, correct?" When Makoto nodded, he shook his head very slightly. "I have nothing against the girl, but she can be a little annoying. Also, I really don't care for her other friends."

"Oh," Makoto replied, curious as to why the young CEO would not like those other friends of Anzu's. "Well…We are going to a restaurant/nightclub at the waterfront. I don't really remember the name of it…I think it has dragon in it somewhere."

Seto chuckled a little and smirked once more, absently petting the puppy in the young woman's arms. "It's called the Dragon on the Blue Water. I should know…I own it, or rather, Kaiba Corp. owns it. I'll make arrangements and have the manager give you and your friends the VIP treatment." The tone in his voice did not allow for any discussion of the matter.

The senshi of Jupiter just stared at the tall man. She couldn't believe that someone she had just met would be so nice to her, let alone Seto Kaiba. The rumors she had heard about him were that he was a cold-hearted bastard who ran his company with an iron fist; he cared for no person with the exception of his little brother, Mokuba Kaiba. He just didn't seem to be the type that would help people he just met, or did not like.

"Um…sure," Makoto replied, a confused look was on her face. "So, would you like to adopt this puppy for your little brother?"

The tall CEO nodded at the Jupiter senshi and allowed the girl to lead him out of the building with the puppy in her arms. They walked over to the main building and Makoto knocked on the door to the pet adoption counselor's office. Mrs. Tanaka opened the door and had a huge smile on her face as she saw the puppy in the tall girl's arms and the CEO of Kaiba Corp. standing next to her.

"Ah, I see that Miss Kino picked out a good pet for you," the older woman chimed in happily. "Like I have said, she is very good at that."

Seto smirked slightly as he watched a blush form on Makoto's face. She was pretty when she did that in his mind. "That she is," he agreed in a husky tone.

Makoto quivered a moment at the tone of the young man's voice and smiled shyly. "Um…I'll leave you both now, I have work I need to finish," she remarked as she handed the puppy over to Mrs. Tanaka. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Kaiba." She then swiftly left the counselor's office, closing the door quietly.

As soon as she was out of the adoptions area, the senshi of Jupiter breathed in a sigh of relief. She was not used to men, rich men at that, hitting on her as soon as they meet. Seto Kaiba was rich, but that was not what did attract her. It was the fact that he was getting an animal for his little brother. The CEO may have a ruthless reputation in the business and dueling world, but he was kind and loving to his family. However, her heart was still set on the blonde man she met on the bus.

"Earth to Makoto, come in please," a musical voice called out. The tall brunette turned her head and smiled as she saw her friend Anzu.

"Hey there, Anzu," Makoto said as she greeted and smiled at her friend nervously. Anzu had a knack in making people confide in her and just knew when something important had happened. "Is something okay? You seem a little shook up."

The brunette laughed nervously as she absently played with her ponytail. "Well…Akiko brought this guy in to look for a pet for his little brother," she answered with trepidation. She was right; Anzu knew something was up.

Anzu grinned and practically jumped up and down. "Was he cute? Who was he?"

"Um…well, the guy is gorgeous, I will say that," Makoto reluctantly admitted. She really did not want to say that because of her feelings for her bus buddy. "And his name is Seto Kaiba."

The shorter brunette nearly choked as her friend said the name. "You're not kidding, are you?" she asked incredulously. "Well, I will agree with you that he is gorgeous, but he was so cruel to me and my friends back when we were all in the same high school."

The green eyes of the tall girl stared at her friend as she choked for a moment. "No, I'm not kidding. He also asked me to dinner tomorrow night. I told him no because I was going out with you and Ami at that restaurant/nightclub tomorrow. I told him where it was and he said that he owned it."

Anzu raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Really? What else did he say?"

Makoto thought for a moment and then answered. "He said that he is going to contact the manager and tell him to give us the VIP treatment…"

The girl sputtered for a moment and stared. "Oh my gosh…that means that we will be able to have anything we want!" she exclaimed loudly, her blue eyes glittering with excitement. "Let me tell you what, you and Ami come over to my place tomorrow afternoon and we will get ready together."

Makoto smiled at Anzu and sighed inwardly. Tomorrow was going to be a very long day…and she hoped that her bus buddy was still thinking of her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Otogi Ryuuji walked through the hallways of his building and smiled happily. His company was doing well now that Dungeon Dice Monsters took off like a rocket a couple of years ago. He managed to get Jounouchi Katsuya to work for him as the company began to make money. He did that because he had felt guilty in how he treated the blonde in that duel with Yugi so long ago. It actually turned out to be a good decision later on. Jou was smarter than he let other people believed and made the company even more profitable with his ideas.

Being in such a good mood, Otogi knocked on a door and entered a large office. Jou was sitting in a leather chair, going through his dueling deck. The blonde young man glanced up and grinned at his friend and employer.

"What's up, Otogi?" Jou asked as he put the deck away.

The dark haired young man grinned at the blonde. "Oh, I'm just happy that my game, Dungeon Dice Monsters, has been outselling some of Kaiba's projects in a few of the American markets. And I want to celebrate."

Jou grinned in return and nodded enthusiastically. "That sounds great, Otogi. What do you have in mind?"

The DDM (Dungeon Dice Monsters…I don't want to write it out all of the time…heh) creator chuckled evilly. "I'm thinking of going out to Kaiba's place on the waterfront. You know the one, it's Dragon on the Blue Water. It does have some of the best food and the best looking girls go there to dance."

The blonde duelist rolled his eyes at the mention of girls. He really wanted to find that girl from the bus but time never seemed to allow that. "Sounds great. When do you want to go?"

"Tomorrow night will be good, Jou."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AN: Cool…this chapter is a little longer than the previous one…^_^ I think that this one was good…anyway, Seto Kaiba is there to give Jou some competition for Makoto's affections. Don't worry, she is still supposed to be paired up with the Mutt…^_~

If anyone wants to vote on who Ami will be paired up with, please go to FF.net to vote…^_^