Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ "Loveless" ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

"Loveless"

By: Enkidu

Yay!!! I finished my hw!!! All I had was math. Well, to celebrate, I'm updating! *does happy dance* Okay, here ya go.

Warnings: Yaoi. Some OOC. Yami Malik/Malik. Mention of Bakura/Ryou. Yami Malik/Bakura.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 5

Yami Malik sighed tiredly as he watched his beautiful aibou slumbering peacefully. After the boy had passed out, he carried him all the way home and laid him down on the bed he was currently sleeping on. He never realized how innocent and angelic the boy looked while he was asleep. It was different from the angsty, insane youth he had come to know during their time together. He was reminded of an earlier, more innocent time when he had first met his hikari. Back then, Malik had never known death. Yami Malik felt guilty for tainting the poor boy. It had all been his fault. He took away his chance at living a normal life, or as normal as his life could possibly be.

The Egyptian boy shifted in his sleep, a weak smile etched on his face as he dreamed of something pleasant. The dark spirit decided to let his aibou enjoy the peaceful escape. He got up from the bed slowly so as not to disturb its occupant, and he walked to the living room, shutting the door lightly. Things were changing between them. He could still feel the warm hug they shared earlier, the strong arms around him, and the look that Malik had reserved only for him. It was full of trust, hope, caring, and perhaps love. Yami Malik hoped the latter was true. He had spent most of his time looking out for the boy, being completely enthralled by his beauty. He went out of his way to make sure the boy didn't feel the pain he himself felt in his own lifetime. All he ever wanted in return was the boy's heart, and he had felt incredibly hurt when he found out his own aibou wanted him dead. The one he had fought so hard to protect had wanted to kill him. But then again, he had deserved it for all of his evil deeds.

However, that was all in the past. They both changed a lot since then. Yami Malik had come to realize how wrong he had been in trying to destroy the world, and Malik had come to trust in the dark spirit, growing close to him. It almost brought a smile to Yami Malik's face.

The dark spirit was so lost in his thoughts, he had failed to realize the insistent knocking coming from the door. He snapped out of his trance, glaring at the door, angry that the noise might wake up his hikari. He stood up quickly from the couch and opened the door to reveal Bakura standing there, face set in a dark scowl. Yami Malik quickly stepped outside, shutting the door, and crossed his arms over his chest as he beheld his old friend and lover.

"Yes?" Yami Malik said expectantly.

"It's you," Bakura murmured as he peered closely into the other's eyes.

"Hello, old friend. What brings you here?" Yami Malik asked casually.

Bakura didn't say anything for along time, simply taking in the other's appearance. He hadn't realized how much he missed the other yami since they had separated long ago in ancient Egypt. He was still a little upset at the last time the two faced off in a duel, and Yami Malik had caused his body to disappear. "I'm here to see Malik," he finally replied.

"Malik is asleep, and he shall remain such with or without your request,"Yami Malik said delicately, knowing how bad Bakura could get when he was tempermental.

Bakura glared once again. "He frightened my aibou with all that blood painted on my door and his Millenium Rod embedded into the wood. I don't have a problem with him being insane, but when it starts to affect Ryou, I get very angry. I believe I have a right to speak with him."

Yami Malik gave a low laugh as he gently pushed the other boy towards the elevator. "Still the same old bitchy Bakura. Let's talk outside."

The other dark spirit smirked slightly, "You're the one who was always bitchy, not me."

Yami Malik rolled his eyes and leaned casually on the elevator, pressing the button to go down. "The boy's just suffering from a broken heart. By the way, nice way to let him down gently."

"He's acting like this just because I told him I didn't love him?" Bakura asked with a mixture of anger, shock, and confusion.

The elevator doors slid closed at that moment. Yami Malik sighed, running a hand through his disheveled, spiky hair. "Don't flatter yourself. You're not the only thing that's bothering him."

The elevator grew quiet and remained so till it finally hit the floor. The doors slowly slid open, and the two boys walked out slowly. They continued to walk out of the apartment building and down the street.

Finally, Yami Malik turned to the other yami and said,"I only expected as much from the uncaring fool you are."

Bakura's eyes narrowed slightly, and he fought to keep from smacking the other yami. Apparently his grudge with the other was still present, and now, HE was being accused of being uncaring. "Need I remind you that you were the one who tried to kill me. You have no right to judge me."

"Need I remind you that YOU were the one who ended whatever was between us back in Egypt," Yami Malik countered.

Bakura crossed his arms angrily over his chest, not removing the scowl that had once again placed itself on his face. "That was all in the past."

Yami Malik's walls fell suddenly, and his eyes softened. "That doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt. People don't just erase their pain. Instead, more and more pain gets added on to their original pain."

Bakura quickly turned away, not wanting to face the saddened spirit. He had actually felt remorse for the way he had acted. He hated himself for feeling remorse. Apparently, Ryou was starting to affect him deeply.

"So," Yami Malik began, changing the subject, "You're with that soft kid, Ryou, now."

The tomb robber nodded silently. It was still a mystery, even to him, how he ended up falling for his hikari.

"Honestly, what do you see in him? You weren't always the one to go for the soft, delicate type," Yami Malik asked in curiosity, starting to walk down the sidewalk with Bakura trudging along next to him.

Bakura thought for a moment before answering. "I like the fact that he's not you."

Yami Malik's jaw dropped slightly, his eyes narrowing a bit. "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"No, it's not," Bakura replied turning to look at his old friend. "He's different from anyone I've ever met. He's kind-hearted, sweet, caring. I've never had anyone treat me the way he treats me."

Yami Malik nodded in understanding. He finally began to realize the extent of Bakura's metamorphisis. He, too, felt himself changing since he had reemerged into his world. At first, he had grown more colder and darker, but now, he was starting to experience emotions he didn't think he would ever possess.

Bakura stopped walking and grabbed Yami Malik slightly by the arm, turning the other dark spirit to face him. "I never told you why I didn't want you anymore," he began.

Yami Malik shook his head softly, tearing his eyes away from the tomb robber. "It's alright," he whispered softly, "you don't have to explain it to me. It was all in the past, right?"

Bakura grabbed the taller boy's chin and turned his head to face him once again. "But it still hurts," he spoke softly.

A moment of silence fell between the two boys. Yami Malik held his breath, slightly afraid of what his former lover would say to him.

The tomb robber let go of the other's chin and exhaled the breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. "I was afraid," he said simply.

"Afraid?" Yami Malik mimicked.

"I was afraid of the way I felt. I liked you. I liked you too much. At first, I thought it was just sex, but when it started to be something more, I panicked."

"Oh," was all Yami Malik said after a while.

Bakura nodded slightly, letting the other boy absorb the information. Time seemed to stop for them as neither said anything. The silence was a strange mixture of ackwardness and comfortability. Bakura decided to break the silence. "You love him, don't you?" he asked softly.

Yami Malik looked away to stare at a random tree, suddenly becoming interested in how it moved with the wind. He turned once again to Bakura, his eyes relaying the answer that the other sought.

The tomb robber gave him a half smile and nodded in understanding. "I guess it's time we both moved on," he remarked absent-mindedly.

"Yes," Yami Malik agreed. "I think you've changed for the better, Bakura."

"I thank Ryou for that. He's everything to me." Bakura's eyes grew half-lidded as he let the wind shift his hair around his face. "I never thought I'd be able to feel this way."

Yami Malik smiled slightly, glad that the other spirit had finally found someone who made him happy. He himself could finally let go of all his bitter resentment towards the other boy. "Are you still angry that I tried to kill you and and your light?" Yami Malik asked, changing the subject once again.

"No," Bakura said after a beat. "I WAS angry...but, that was because I still had feelings for you." He slid his hand to the taller boy's cheek, cupping it slightly. "I never stopped."

Yami Malik turned away quickly, resisting the urge to lean into the touch. "I-" he choked slightly. "It was all in the past," he continued, his voice slightly broken. "We have to move on. We've both found someone who could make us happier than we ever were with each other."

Bakura tilted his head to look at the ground in mild interest. "You're right."

The wind blew harder, making the whole scene seem ethereal. Another bout of silence fell between the boys, neither wanting to ruin whatever feeling was passing through them at that moment. Perhaps it was understanding. Perhaps it was that peace they so desperately needed to make with each other. Either way, things suddenly seemed brighter all of the sudden.

"It's getting late," Yami Malik commented half-heartedly.

Bakura nodded in acquiscence. "Yes, it is."

"I should go back."

"Yeah, you should."

Yami Malik took one last longing look at the tomb robber, trying to remember the way the boy looked at that moment. He'd never seen the white haired boy look so serene and calm. It was nice to see. He began to take a few steps away when he felt his arm grabbed and his body roughly turned around. Bakura pulled the taller boy to him, pressing his lips softly onto the other's. The kiss was gentle, but it had spoken so much.

"What was that?" Yami Malik asked in confusion when they finally broke apart.

"A goodbye kiss," Bakura smirked.

"I see," Yami Malik replied, still a bit surprised. He turned around and began to walk away once more.

"Tell him," Bakura called out to the retreating back of the other spirit.

Yami Malik turned his head slightly to look at the tomb robber, smiling and saying, "I will."

They both continued on their separate ways...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*

Sorry, I had to put in that little kiss there at the end. I've been dying to write a Yami Malik/ Bakura ficcy, so I couldn't get it out of my mind. Anywho, tell me whatcha think. Should I continue?