Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A battle for Freedom ❯ Failing ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Nine

Failing

Everyone sat silently around Kari's bed, the sound of the mentor made for her heart beats was almost deafening. Yami glanced upon her features as almost everyone remained resting, all but Seto, Bukura and himself. Kari's skin was pale as paper that had been ruded lightly against a peach colored pencil, her normally rosy lips were tinted lightly blue as a barely noticeable fog appeared against the oxygen mask she was wearing. Her face was painted with pain and fear, her reddish brown eyebrows frozen in a scowl. Yami sighed as Seto turned towards him. The truth was starring them in the eyes, and both refused to believe it. Kari was dying and none of them could due anything more then they already had. Tea had given blood in order to help as their blood types matched but what if they had been too late?

"Yami?" Naffini's voice called to them. At first Yami thought she was only speaking to him, but Bakura and Seto turned their heads as well. Her voice wasn't the same as it was before, it seemed more... distant. "Yami it's cold here,"

"Naffini?" Yami whispered as Yugi now also awake from his uneasy slumber. "Where are you?"

"I don't know," Her voice sounded so weak and far. Yami felt his heart rise. It could only mean one thing. Kari was giving up completely. "It's so dark here, I can't see," There followed a long pause. "Yami_ I'm scared,"

"Naffini?" Yugi asked sleepily as he ruded his eyes free of sleep. However, once it truly sank into his mind Yugi jolted await and gently grasped Kari's hand. "Naffini are you okay?"

"Yugi?"Her voice was dying out. "Is that you? You all sound so muffed, like when you cover your mouth with your hand,"

"Is Kari there with you?" Seto finally asked. The long pause followed and Seto started to fear that he spoke his question too late.

"She... she's here, but..." Naffini answered in her quieting voice. "She's not moving. Yami_ I'm scared. I think... I think she's killing herself,"

"WHAT!" Seto roared cause the rest of the group to awake with a jolt.

"What do you mean Naffini?" Yugi asked squeezing Kari's hand as if it was his life line.

"She's hanging," Naffini's voice quivered. "There are ropes... no. Ribbons around her. She can't move. By Horus! She's bleeding," Naffinni's voice started to flood with panic. "Yami! She's bleeding!"

"Calm yourself Naffini," Yami tried to comfort his love when Kari's body gave a violent jolt as if someone had sent electricity threw her body, trying to jump start her.

Everyone all but screamed and jumped away. A moment past and Bakura noticed her lips moving. Moving closer he realized she was trying to speak to them.

"Help... me," She breathed when her heart flat lined.

The next moment, the group found themselves all but shoved out the room as doctors and nurses rushed into to gain a heart beat again.

Seto walked silently into his apartment with Baukra, Joey, Yami, and Yugi in tow. None of them wanted to be alone and Seto's place was the closest to the hospital. Mokuba was fast sleep dead to the world around him and the fact that he was losing his 'sister'. They all ventured to Kari's room were Bakura sat backwards on her desk chair, Seto leaning against the doorway starring into nothingness, Yugi sitting with Joey on her bed and Yami playing blindly with a small spinning disk that when set spinning the word 'STRENGHT' appeared. After Yami had sent the tiny circle on it's journey around it's case, Joey cracked.

"This really sucks!" He snarled, causing everyone, but Bakura and Yami's eyes to turn towards him. "Here we are sitting on our butts wail Kari is off in the hospital dying and we can't do a thing about it!"

"Well, you idiot, what can we do?" Seto hissed.

"There is one thing we can do," Bakura answered. Everyone looked at him only to find Yami Bakura grinning like a crocodile. "But it's dangerous,"

"What is it?" Joey asked almost to quickly for anyones liking.

"We enter the Shadow Realm and enter Kari's mind," Bakura grinned as Joey looked completely lost.

"So why don't we do that?" Joey asked.

"Only beings that are part of, or carry a millennium item can enter it without becoming frozen in place," Yami answered with a heavily sigh. "But it is the only way as far as I can see as well,"

"Then what are we waiting for?" Joey asked getting annoyed that the two most knowledgeable members had been letting them out of this important information.

"Because, Joey," Yami picked up a piece of paper and began folding it into a crane. "The method of using the Shadow Realm to venture into an place as mad as the mind of another works both ways. You can either fix it and return it to its normal health or," He made several fast movement and held out an now mangled crane origami figure. "You can destroy it beyond repair,"

"Oh," Joey seated himself back down as the silence filled the room once more.

"But..." Yugi whispered. "We have to do something,"

"Yes," Yami replied. "We must do something," 'But I fear the results that may come of this,'