Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A battle for Freedom ❯ If Memories could kill ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter One

If Memories could kill

Kari was walking in a graveyard. The foal stench of decay poisoned the air she was breathing, making her cough. She had been walking home from school and had somehow ended up in the cemetery. It gave her the creeps. A twig snapped behind her, and she slowly broke into a run. What ever was behind her followed. Her heart betted faster and faster, harder and harder until it begged for her to stop. Kari's lungs threatened to burst if she didn't stop and her legs started to slow down. Her side hurt uncontrollably as she tripped over a stone. Kari's body slide along the ground as muck and slim got into her nose and eyes. Using her navy blue jacket, she whipped it out quickly, only to find herself in front of three large tombstones. Kari didn't dare to read the names written upon them, but looked anyway. Here lies Molly Pegasus. A loving sister and mother. Will always be missed. Kari covered her mouth from her cries, but the tears still escaped her eyes as she looked at the other. Here lies John McKay. A loving father, and husband. Forever loved. The smell of rot and human flesh filled the air making Kari want to throw up. She feared the other grave even more but looked and gave a horrified scream. "Daisy P. McKay. A loving sister. May she rest in peace forever.

"Kari," A voice chanted. It echoed as if it came from far away. "Kari,"

Kari closed her eyes as several tears ran down her face.

"Go away!" She thought over and over. "Please just go away!"

"Kari?" the voice continued to chant. Kari peeked threw her fingers and screamed. "Kari? Why did you kill us Kari? Why?"

"I didn't!" Kari cried as she looked at her departed family. Molly was the only one whom wasn't mutilated. They seemed to be crying as Kari crawled farther away. "It was Pegasus!"

"But youtoldhe to!" Daisy yelled. Her voice was filled with hate. "You said to him I wish they were dead!"

"I DIDN"T MEAN IT!" Kari cried. "I WAS FOUR…"

"YOU MET IT!"

"KARI!"

Kari awoke in her bed, fighting franticly with the sheets that had wrapped themselves around her body like snakes. A tall figure helped her out of the mess. Through Kari couldn't see it in the dark, it was Seto Kiaba standing over her. Almost immediately, Kari threw her arms around his neck and hugged him. He stood stunned for a bit, then held around her. He felt sorry for her. It had been the third time in a week Kari had awoke because of some nightmares. The next today Seto met up with Yugi and his friends. Kari was staying home for the day to get some rest.

"Still can't forget," Joey replied as the friend headed for school. "What was it this time?"

"Don't know," Seto replied as he looked back. "She doesn't talk about them. She says that they're too personal to talk about,"

"It must be terrible then," Tristan replied as he too looked back. "How much sleep did she get?"

"One hour, an hour and a half at the most," He replied. "She spent the night watching Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella, and all those happy ending kid movies that she likes,"

Back in the house Kari checked to make sure Seto wasn't turning back to check on her. Her eyes were begging for sleep, but she didn't dare. Daisy's words seemed to ring silently threw the air. You met it! Kari shivered as she turned back to the TV. She was watching the Lion King. It had reached the point where Simba realizes that he can't run from the past. Kari knew it was true, but she had spent all of her life doing this. She violet silk pajamas danced in the air being sent out from the conditioner. Kari looked at the park. It couldn't hurt, could it? She looked at the old photo in her locket. It was a black and white photo. It was extremely wrinkled from being hidden under pillows and put in pockets. It the photo was a small family of four. The woman was smiling happily at the camera. Even if it was black and white, Kari remembered her mother's light golden hair and rose colored cheeks. Her father stood next to her smiling as two small girls was laughing happily. The picture didn't show the father's red hair. The smallest would have had red hair and the other blond if the picture had been colored. Kari broke down into tears.

"I didn't mean what I said Daisy," She subbed. "I didn't mean it,"

The wind howled in response as Kari threw the locket aside.

"WHO ASKED YOU!" She cried and got up. The house was getting to her. So were the dreams, the air, and the imprisonment. It was like `home'. Just disguised better. She searched her closet from some clothes. Ruefully, Kari pulled on a green turtle neck sweater, a blouse and a navy blue skirt and hurried out the door, grabbing her backpack. If she hurried, she would only miss the first class of the day. The moment she was outside she felt something. It was like invisible hands were touching her. Her neck hairs stood at an end.

"If memories could kill," She thought and walked slowly down the street. "If memories could kill,"