Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ And They Call It Rock'N'Roll ❯ The Sun ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: This will be the Jou-centric chapter that tries to show you how Jou started getting the idea of moving to America ((but not yet why he took everyone with him, oops)). Sorry if it didn't come out quite right. It was a very old chapter that I tried to revise.
4/25/08Chapter OneThe Sun
A light drizzle fell upon a far-off, sleepy town--unexpected, of course. Wiping away the drooping bangs that clung to his face, Jonouchi Katsuya thinks they should hire new staff at the weather station.
Of all the days for me to have not brought an umbrella…’ He brought his fingers to his busted lip and bit his nail, a bad habit he’d had for years. Like so many others, he succumbed to it without question. After noticing a foreign taste on his tongue, he drew his hand back to examine his nails and raw knuckles before letting his arms fall. The blond sighed and used his thumb to try to dig out the dirt he’d just tasted.
From the very beginning of two months ago, he knew night classes would be a bad idea. Not only was it so dark by the time the students were let out that Jou couldn’t see, but it was all the way across town. The streets being spattered with fellow punks, these circumstances meant ass-kicking and sometimes getting ass-kicked. Frequently.
Taking a deep breath, he smelled the steam of hot asphalt cooling in the rain and trekked on. Seeing neon pink, purple, blue, and green light ahead, he became aware that he was reaching Charlie’s sooner than he’d thought. So as not to get bowled over by drunken teenagers pouring in and out of the facility, he stayed to the sidewalk and crossed the street. Being uplifted by the realization of the shorter distance between him and home, he began humming, singing to himself in his head.
There may not be another way to your heart, so I guess I’d better find a new way in…’
He heard a car horn followed by a light screech, stopped walking, and turned. Spotting a black and cherry-red ’95 Comaro, he slightly waved and mustered a smile, walking over to the driver’s side.
“Oi! Inu! What the fuck are you doing out this late? Don’t you have a curfew?”
“The 'Lord of Science' kept me an extra half-hour for a ‘pep talk.” He smirked and whacked the head of long silver hair that belonged to his fellow lead singer. “What are you two doin' here, anyway?”
He nodded in greeting to the passenger, who had removed his sunglasses.
“You make it sound like it’s illegal for us to be here!” the driver replied defensively and snickered, only to get hit by the other occupant of the car. “Mou!”
While the albino was rubbing the pump knot, deep violet eyes, now unhindered by the Stunner shades, sparkled in the light from the pub across the street. “We’re going down to the Bay Nightstrip line, then heading to the shore and Dead-Man’s Hill. Going our way?”
Katsuya was silent for a moment while he pondered the invitation. Apparently he was silent a bit too long for someone’s liking, because he got a series of pokes on his forehead.
“Jouuuu! Hey, buddy? Oh, my God, he’s dead!” The driver’s joking only earned him another blow to the head. “Damnit, what is this, Give-Ayeaiko-Owies Night?!”
Jonouchi rose up from leaning on the car’s door. “You,” he pointed to the boy, “got a very sucky sense a' humor.”
The blond in the car opened the dashboard, dug out a red scrunchie, and put his hair in a low ponytail while glancing at the clock. “Jou, if you don’t get back to Seto’s now, he’ll throw a fit and a search party.”
Said boy uttered a noise of recognition and jerked out his Nokia, wandering around the car to get good signal. He found a spot eight feet from the left headlight, then hit speed dial. Turning and looking back at the vehicle, he waited for the ringer to begin.
“Hello?” came the slightly less cold reply from the other end. Jou figured that if they didn’t have caller ID, the CEO would’ve snapped at someone phoning at two a.m.–even though the man wouldn’t have been sleeping.
“Set’, I’m takin' off with Aya and Marik for tanight. I’ll be back 'round five today. Err…tomorrow? Whatever.”
“What? What do you mean, ‘taking off’? I can’t wait around all day for you to get back–I have places to go!”
“Kaiba, one: ‘takin' off’ as in pubbin', prob'ly. Two, not that ya would, but ya don’t have to wait up; I got a key. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have somethin' to do that I actually care about doin'.” He pulled the cellular away from his ear and the last thing he heard was a faint protest before he angrily pressed the ‘talk’ button. He crammed the phone back in his pocket and walked back over to the car.
“Let’s go.” Jumping in the backseat through one of the open windows, he let the T-top open and buckled himself in.
“All righty, then!” Ayeaiko yelled and stomped the gas pedal, a livid expression in his eyes. Marik laughed and started tying his folded red bandana around his head. Jonouchi felt the air from all the open windows lash at his face and arched his back to reach into his pocket for his wallet. Avoiding seeing the picture inside, he checked the largest pouch and noticed he had just enough money for the stops they’d more-than-likely be making. Up front, Marik had just adjusted the rearview toward the back seat.
“Oi, Inu.”
“Huh?”
“What cha’ thinkin’ about?” the Egyptian chimed. While he fiddled with the laces on his boots, he gave the blond in back a skeptical look through the fringe of his bangs.
“Nothin’…” the drummer mumbled and looked out the window, his hair and clothes whipping a little in the wind. Marik glanced past the driver's leather-covered arms towards the speedometer, looked back at Jou, again at the speedometer, and finished with his shoes. He frowned and said nothing more.

They had gone by so many things and still didn’t stop. Everything flew by, only being seen long enough to be recognized. Miles and miles had gone by without him noticing, even though, way back in his bright-blond head, he knew he wouldn't have cared anyway.
"So, why's he bein' so controlling all of a sudden, inu?"
In the backseat, both Jonouchi's legs jerkily twitched at the sudden speech, and his eyes wavered from their staring stupor before focusing again. He forced the heels of his palms into the seat to swing himself up straight, pressing all of his back against the red cloth behind him. Marik watched in the rearview as the other blonde thumped his feet against either side of the bump in the floorboard behind the console, let them rest there, and laced his fingers together, arms loose and hands now lax in the empty space between his lap.
"I dunno."
"Really?" the Egyptian spat softly, propping his left foot on the dashboard and throwing his elbow over his knee as he slumped against the door. With his peripheral vision, he noticed that bright blonde head of hair turn towards the right and, as brown eyes searched the door's mirror for his visage, Marik ran his right hand through his hair, covering the side of his face. 'Not quite that easy, Inu...'
"Yeahh..." Jou drew out the word with a suspicious tone, his view of the tanned face of the shotgun passenger still blocked by an identically tanned hand. "Why you hidin', Mar?"
He smirked in a sad, knowing, yet cocky way, his answer droning and uncomfortable. Jou quickly caught this expression via the rearview. "No reason."
In the back seat, the blond's breath stuck hard in his chest right as Marik moved his head completely out of view of the side mirror. The tendons in his hands became sore, his fingers desperately trying to twitch his hand into a fist. He began gently bouncing his leg and sunk into the seat again, almost choking on the deep, even breath he could finally take. He tried to calm his nerves, forget the look of "told-you-so" on Marik's face. Words drifted through his head liltingly and he forced his sight to go out of focus again. He put a beat to the words and sang to himself in his head. 'One, two, threefour, five. Everybody in the car, so, come one, let's drive to a liquor store...'
Sensing that everyone in the car was now in a solemn mood, Ayeaiko grumbled, squeezed the steering wheel tighter, and took a left at a road sign that read “Beach 13 miles next right.” Soon the scenery changed from vast expanses of brick to forest, the road very slightly less smooth. Eventually, the air smelled so thickly of salt that Jou could taste it. It was beginning to get a little humid, and the soft bumps in the road and warmth of the salty air lulled him into lying across the back seat and dozing off a bit at a time.
After school, walkin’ home, fresh dirt under my fingernailsand I can smell hot asphalt.Cars screech to a halt to let me pass.And I cannot remember what life was like through photographs trying to recreate images life gives us from our past.And sometimes it’s a sad song, but I cannot forget, refuse to regret.I’m so glad I met you.You take my breath away, make every day worth all of the pain that I’ve gone through.And, Mama, I’ve been crying ‘cause things aren’t how they used to be.She said, “The battle’s almost won. And we’re only several miles from the sun.”
Note: Ayeaiko is my original character (there will be more of them later, also, just so you know;; but ygo characters will be main, don't worry). Steal and fucking suffer until you kill yourself. ;) Name pronounced “eye-A-co.” “Co” being said like “coa” in coacoa.Also, no, damnit, Seto’s not going to be all bad. XD I actually make him kind of hyper-ish, as you'll later see. (I'm stating this for all fans of Seto who think I'll make him a terrible person--or those who want to be warned about what kind of person I AM going to make him.)