Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ AnZuOh, Queen of Games ❯ How the Mighty Hath Fallen ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AnZuOh, Queen of Games
 
Chapter 4
 
How the Mighty Hath Fallen
 
Rochelle chuckled and flipped up her hand to look at the two cards in her hand. She slipped the cards into her coat as the thundering clouds above finally began to pour their rain. Dorien and Cyrus jumped down and leaned over the edge of the broken skylight to stare down at Tea's battered form.
“Whoa, you totaled her!” Cyrus muttered.
“I'll say. You crush her in a duel and send her on a trip like that? That's heavy.” Dorien agreed. Rochelle snorted.
“I've barely even begun. Mark my words, by the time I'm finished with her, Tea Gardner will regret even hearing about Duel Monsters.” She said. “In the meantime, I still have Hamon to take. You two.” Rochelle reached out a hand and grabbed her two minions by the collars. “Go get it!” Rochelle threw them forward, and with a scream, Dorien and Cyrus plummeted into the skylight. The two hit the crates hurt, but conscious.
“Hey Cyrus, remind me why we hang around her again.” Dorien coughed, climbing to his feet.
Ya know Dorien, I'm not that sure myself.” Cyrus groaned.
“Cut the chatter you two, grab Hamon!” Rochelle snapped. Dorien nodded and slipped off Tea's Duel Disk, grabbing her deck.
“Let's see here…I got it!” Dorien yelled, holding up the third Demon.
“Good. I'll meet you outside.” Rochelle ordered, turning around. She walked a few steps when a drenched lump of tri-colored hair emerged from the fire escape before her.
“I'm telling you, I saw Obelisk!” Yugi sneezed, climbing onto the roof. He gasped as Rochelle came into sight. “You! Where's Tea?” Yugi demanded, running to confront the Goth. Kaiba hefted himself up behind Yugi as Rochelle grinned.
“Oh, you mean your little cheerleader friend? She's not in the best of moods right now, having her title and her Demons.”
“What?” Kaiba demanded.
“You should really pay more attention. Tea Gardner is now the ex-Queen of Games. You two can bow down before me, if you'd like.” Rochelle explained. Kaiba growled. This…freak, beat Gardner?
“You lie. Gardner has the Legendary Demons on her side. She wouldn't lose to the likes of you.” Kaiba snapped.
“I beg to differ.” Rochelle said, reaching into her coat. “Tea did have the Legendary Demons on her side.” Rochelle flashed Raviel and Uria at Kaiba. “I'm afraid they have a new owner now.” Yugi gasped.
“No…Rochelle, you don't know what you're doing!”
“Are all you idiots so melodramatic?” Rochelle sneered. “I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm taking my place on the top of the dueling world as the undefeatable Queen of Games. And my new friend Raviel here is going to help me secure my place.” Rochelle slipped the Demons back in her coat and walked past the two duelists.
“Don't you dare walk away.” Kaiba muttered. Rochelle stopped as the infamous Seto Kaiba uttered the command. “Tea Gardner may not be one of the greatest duelists in the world, but she has far more talent than you. There is no way in hell you could have defeated her. Furthermore, even if you did, you dueled using Kaiba Corp issue Duel Disks. Gardner's Duel Disk was destroyed, which means any duel conducted by her with a replacement disk not licensed to her is void. Your victory, provided you won, doesn't matter.
“And you really wonder why it is you're doomed to be second best to Yugi?” Rochelle asked coyly. “Kaiba, hiding behind regulations will do you no good. The specifications don't matter, what matters is the win itself. I won, and nothing you or pathetic company can say will change that. You can't change the past. And Tea Gardner's role in the dueling world just became a thing of the past.” Rochelle hopped onto the fire escaped and climbed down to the street below. As she walked onto the road, Cyrus and Dorien burst out of the building behind her.
“Here he is.” Dorien said, holding out Hamon. Rochelle smiled and snatched it from him, pulling the other 2 from her coat.
“Good.” She said. “Three undefeatable Legendary Demons…gentlemen, tonight you have witnessed the dawning of a new era to the game of Duel Monsters. My era.” Rochelle laughed and held up the 3 Legendary Demons to the sky. “With these all powerful beasts at my command, no duelist in the world can defeat me!”
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
“I see her down there.” Yugi said. “There's no way down, we'll have to climb down to the street and get in from there.” Yugi ran to the fire escape and ran down as fast as he could “Tea…you'd better be alright. If Rochelle did anything to hurt you…” Kaiba watched him go before looking down the skylight at Tea. The CEO reached up to his collar and pressed his radio command.
“Mokuba, call an ambulance. Home in on my Duel Disk. Tea is severely injured.” He ordered, turning to leave. Below him, light flooded the building below as Yugi burst inside. He climbed up to the crates and gasped at the sight of Tea's limp body.
“Tea…” Yugi whispered. He ran a hand across her cheek, his eyes narrowing at the trickle of blood running down her chin from her lip. “Rochelle will pay for this Tea, I promise.” Yugi moved the crates away from her, and gently pulled her body down. Tea rolled rested on a pile of rags. Yugi groaned and cursed his size. There was no way he'd be able to move her.
“Here.” Yugi stepped back as Kaiba knelt down to pick Tea up in his arms. The two looked her over, and Yugi gasped at the sight of several, albeit minor, cuts and bruises forming on her arms and legs. “She should be fine after a good night's rest.” Kaiba muttered. He looked down at Yugi and carried Tea out onto the street, Yugi following with a confused look on his face.
“Kaiba, what are you doing?”
“Who was that?” Kaiba asked suddenly, looking down the street.
“Um…that was Rochelle. She thinks she's the Queen of Games.”
“Well from what I heard, she is now.” The CEO muttered. He narrowed his eyes as Joey ran up the street.
“Kaiba!” The teenager yelled. “You sneaky slimy snake, what did ya do to her?”
“I didn't do anything.” Kaiba sneered. “You can blame your new friend Rochelle for this.”
“Rochelle?” Joey muttered. “No way, not that psycho creep again.”
“Indeed. So how about you just back off and stop shooting your mouth off. I'm amazed your father hasn't muzzled you yet.” The teenage billionaire snapped, pushing Joey aside. An ambulance drove up the street and skidded to a halt in front of Kaiba. The driver burst out as an attendant climbed out the back doors with a stretcher. The two
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
“She's got multiple cuts and bruises, a broken leg, possibly a concussion. She'll be fine after a good night's sleep, but she'll have to take it easy for a while.” Ayame Gardner nodded as Dr. Takahashi listed off her daughter's various problems. The last thing she has wanted or needed was to be in Domino Hospital at near-midnight, hearing from her daughter's best friend how she had fallen 3 stories through a skylight.
“Her possessions are currently being held at front desk, you can pick them up at your convenience.”
“Alright. Thank you Dr. Takahashi.” Ayame said. The physician nodded and excused himself, vanishing down the hall. Yugi got up from his seat a few feet away and stood silently behind Tea's mother.
“Mrs. Gardner…I'm sorry for this. If I had known that…” Ayame whirled around, stunning Yugi into shock.
“Like hell you are!” She seethed. “My daughter is lying unconscious in a hospital bed because of weird duelists who became obsessed with that game! My daughter was hurt because of you and that damn game! Don't you dare pretend you're sorry.” Joey shook his head.
“It ain't like that Ms. G. Dis Rochelle chick has been gunning for Tea ever since she beat Kaiba. Yugi wouldn't do anything to harm Tea on purpose. Trust me.” Ayame sighed and sat down, holding her head in her hands.
“I know, I know. But…damn it, it's that game's fault. Do you kids see? It may just be cards, but to others it's life.”
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
“How was she able to wield power like that?” Kaiba muttered, standing over Tea's bedside. “Those Legendary Demons are far too powerful to be controlled by someone like her. It's dangerous, trying to control a creature of such power.” Kaiba briefly flashed back to Joey's duel with Odion aboard Kaiba Craft 3. Even as a counterfeit, the Winged Dragon of Ra had struck both of them down with lightning. Pegasus himself has implied he knew the cards were dangerous. So why on Earth would he give them to someone like Gardner? Not only that, but who knew what kind of havoc they might wreak on Rochelle's control? Kaiba sat down and leaned his head back.
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
“Roslyn is rather adamant about the subject.” Teana muttered, looking out over the courtyard. “Her Ka is powerful, but she is not content with the power she has. She insists that control of the Demons be turned over to her.”
“Do not make me laugh.” Set snorted. “That wench shall never wield the powers of Hell. As Pharaoh, I forbid it.”
“Oh?” Teana asked. “And what is she should come after me herself, kill me and take command of them by force? What then?”
“Teana, I have seen your power ever since my dear cousin was Pharaoh.” Set said, remembering the deceased Pharaoh Atem. “Roslyn shall not take them from you. Destiny chose Yami to take command of the Gods. You were chosen to take command of the Demons. It is Fate that you are the one to control them. I assure you, any attempt by Roslyn to seize the creatures will be in vain. On the soul of Yami, I swear it; no harm shall come to you, or the Demons, while I sit on the throne.”
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
Kaiba gasped and sat up straight. He shook his head as his brief dream escaped him. He must have fallen asleep for a few moments. The teenager climbed to his feet and looked down at the sleeping girl before turning to leave. He reached for the doorknob and frowned as it turned.
“Kaiba?” Yugi asked, walking in. The small duelist was carrying a large bouquet of flowers. “What are you doing here?” Kaiba narrowed his eyes.
“I was just leaving.” He replied, moving past Yugi. Yugi leaned his head out the hall.
“Wait a minute…you were visiting Tea! I knew you considered us friends.” Yugi said cheerfully. Kaiba stopped dead in his tracks.
“Listen up Yugi, I have no use for friends, least of all your little geek patrol. I was visiting only to make sure Gardner was alright. And don't think I give a damn about her. I just need to make sure she'll be in condition for our rematch. As soon as I beat her…she can jump off a cliff for all I care.” Kaiba walked down to the stairs, leaving Yugi to shake his head sadly, sighing wistfully.
“Every time he makes that speech, I believe it a little less.”