Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Battles Thru Time ❯ Familiar memories ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An: Well here is yet another chapter with in a day of the last one being posted. I have been told that I messed up my underworld gods when that voice yelled at Yami. I am sorry bout it and will fix it when I remember to. I used to know Egyptian history like I knew where every disk was on my floor buried under mountains of clothes. Ahh the high school years. This chapter will be one of the two jumps in time. It would be soooooooooooo boring to go thru Kayla's growing years as they dug around rock. Blah, so I am skipping to when Kayla is 12 and they found Yami's tomb. There might also be some made up BS in the tomb. I have skimmed over where Yugi's grandpa finds the puzzle in the tomb from the manga. Oh, just to say sorry in advance if the tomb scenes suck. I felt like I was BSing it. Ta ta.

~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~ :::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~::: ~ :::~:::~:::~

Battles Thru Time

Chapter 5: Familiar memories

By Cascade Illusions

Last Revised: July 13, 2003

~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~ :::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~::: ~ :::~:::~:::~

Eight Years Later

"Come on you stupid thing. I know I saw a line here somewhere yesterday." Kayla grumbled to herself as she felt around for the line she had seen yesterday when she came in with Yami to pick up the tools they used. They had been digging in this tomb for the past six years. It had taken them about three tires to even locate what they thought was the tomb her father's grandpa had mentioned. Around the time she was seven they found a tomb with a cave in. Somehow her parents knew that was the one. It was still a bit strange to her to have two parents both being male. At least they did not do anything besides kiss in front of her, but that was driving her crazy.

After finding the tomb they started clearing out all the debris, which with a seven year old, a millina+ year old and a twenty-five year old it was a slow process. After about two years they had cleared out the fallen rubble, but now they had to find a way in, and decipher what the hieroglyphs said. They were badly worn from exposure to the elements of Egypt. That was what had lead them to this point. Even though she was twelve, Kayla was very responsible. However she was not aloud into the tomb without Yami or Yugi. Even if she found that crack she knew she would be in a world of trouble for breaking the rules. Kayla about gave up when she felt her fingers drop.

"Yes I found you, you little bastard. Trying to hide from me?" She took her spade and stuck it into the hole only to lose it again.

"Excuse me young lady what was that I heard come out of your mouth?" Yami's voice boomed thru the entrance into the cave that was supposed to be a tomb entrance. `crap' Kayla thought to herself jamming the spade in to mark it before turning to face an angry parent.

"Does sorry and I found a line in the wall help?" Kayla looked at a sandal and shorts clad Yami who looked more furious than hell itself.

"No Kayla it will not. You know you are not aloud in here with out supervision. What if the cave became unstable and collapsed on you? What would you do then?" Yami saw the fire flare in her eyes and knew he had really made her mad.

"Leave me alone! I tired to tell you and dad I thought I saw a crack. But you two were too concerned about getting yours for the day you didn't bother to listen to me. So I came out here to prove a point." She stopped her ranting but added one more comment before when went back to that crack. "This entrance is sound and you know it. So don't attempt to scare me with a lie."

`I wish I knew where this attitude comes from. It is almost like I have dealt with it in another time.' Yami thought as he went to look at what she was scrapping at. It did prove to be a crack or more accurately a line.

"Fine we should have stopped to listen to what you had to say. But you still knowingly broke the rule. You have kitchen duty for the next week at supper time." Yami heard her whine under her breath as she chipped away reliving what looked to be a clear line. Yugi joined them about ten minutes later opening his mouth to scold Kayla when Yami shock his head telling him it was taken care of.

"What have you found here Kayla?" Yugi stared at the clear seven-inch line she had dug hardened dirt out of.

"I think it might be a opening to the tomb dad. I saw it yesterday. I just need to dig all the dirt out of this section and then pry at it to see where they other lines are." Kayla kept working. She felt proud of herself and was not going to stop till she proved her theory about the lines. This could be the opening to the tomb.

"Very well, let me go get the rest of the tools and you two work on that wall." Yugi stood up from the crouching position he was in and left the area to go gather their tools. He hoped they had finally found what they were looking for. He missed everyone terribly and Kayla needed more than just him and Yami for company. If they did not find what they needed by the time she was thirteen, Yugi was going to tell Kaiba it had to stop. Kayla needed friends and a normal school environment.

"You know not to really count on this don't you Kayla?" Yami asked standing next to her as he looked at the rocky surface she was scrapping dirt from. The line was now close to 20 inches long as well as almost to the floor.

"Ever have a sense of been there done that Yami? Like you know you've never been there, yet something tugging at you says you have. Like it was a past life time."

"Yes little one I do. Is this what you are feeling with this line?"

"Strangle enough I am. It's like I was here when it was first constructed. But I know that can't be. I hate that I can't shake this feeling." Kayla's frustration was starting to come out as she hit the floor. She stood up and saw the line to her theoretical door was as tall as she was. She was the same height as her parents. They heard a noise and looked behind them.

"Hey dad, look the crack is as long as I am." Kayla excitedly exclaimed as she picked up a flatten crowbar to use on the crack. She wedged it into the crack to get a good grip, and then she pulled on the crowbar so it was pushing against the right side of the crack, pushing the left area back.

"Kayla stop, look" Yami shouted them pointed over Kayla's head. Indeed there was another line. Kayla screamed as she jumped on her dad knocking him down.

"I know baby girl I am happy too. Lets all work and get those two lines free. Maybe we will find some more." Yugi struggled to stay on the floor of the tomb entrance as Kayla bear hugged him.

"Sorry daddy." Kayla got off and got her trusty spade again to begin chipping the dirt out. It took them the better part of the day to get those lines free. Just before suppertime Kayla gave one more go at trying to open it. Taking the crowbar she wedged it in the opposite way than before and pushed towards the wall. This had better results that last time seeing al the slab they had dug out groaned falling forward to reveal a sweet sickly scent of decaying flowers and fungus.

"Dang you could almost swear we are in ancient time's dad. Those flowers still smell fresh yet there is a dead smell in the air. Eww that smells nasty." Kayla scrunched up her nose as the smell of the flowers was replaced by foul air that had been trapped for over three thousand years.

"Yes I agree. Well it is time for dinner and I think we should let the tomb air out. But not with us around, I can't have you ruining dinner." Yugi held his hand to his nose as he ushered every one to grab the tools and leave the site for the day to head home for dinner and bedtime.

~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~ :::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~::: ~ :::~:::~:::~

The next morning

"Daddy, Yami hurry up I want to see what's in there!!" Kayla yelled running out of their house with her flashlight. Yugi and Yami just looked at each other as they saw her run to the site while they took the jeep. When they got there Kayla was jumping around with excitement waiting for them to come. Yami grabbed two lamps and lite them. Yugi grabbed the spare flashlight.

"Alright Kayla be very, very careful, when you go in. No telling what has been trapped in there or has died in there." Yugi cautioned her as she started into the door they had made. Shining the light around the area Yugi gasped.

/This is just like your soul room Yami. Don't you think?/ Yugi shock filled the link as he shook his head at Kayla's look.

//I doubt that aibou. They made tombs like this to throw off tomb robbers.//

/Just as your mind did to protect the horror of what you went thru when you sealed yourself away in the puzzle./

//I am not even sure where they built my tomb Yugi. It is very unlikely that we have found it.//

/Chicken is what you are. Afraid you might see your body. I still say this looks EXACTALLY like your soul room labyrinth./ Yugi was very sure as he started to follow Kayla who seemed like she knew where she was going.

"I don't know. Maybe I was here before in a past life. It feels like Deja vu." She shouted as she continued thru the corridors looking for something. She started to pass a room and stopped. Inside was a pedestal. She went in to look and saw a broken slab walk way. Looking closely she saw they were duel monsters.

"Yammmmmi!!!" Kayla screamed as she steeped back like she had been bitten. Yami and Yugi came into the room since they had been looking at something else. Yugi's eye widen to an impossible size as he looked at the pedestal and duel monster slabs. It was just as grandpa had said.

"Yami I think I am right. That is the pedestal grandpa said he got the puzzle from." Yugi pointed to the pedestal.

"By Ra this can't be. The odds are to great." Yami was stunned.

"Here chicky chicky." Kayla called out in a teasing singsong voice as Yugi laughed at her and Yami's expression.

"Shut up both of you." Yami growled as he looked around the jagged red clay colored stonewalls. He also looked down into the abyss that the stone tablets where lodged.

"Come on dad. Lets go find chickens body. I'm sure that, was not sucked into the puzzle." Kayla ran out of the room with Yugi laughing his head off and Yami scowling at the both of them.

//That's it Yugi encourage her.// Yami's anger was starting to build at the taunting.

/Lighten up. Besides you are being a stubborn baby about the whole thing. You have a new body. What is the harm in seeing a old decayed pile of dust?/

//I will ask you that years from now and see how funny it is.// They reached yet another room, but this one was different. It was a brillant gold color with paintings of gods, hieroglyphs, treasures, games and furniture. In the middle raised on a platform was a sarcophagus. The platform was covered in linen with four oil-operated lamps facing each corner of the sarcophagus. Upon closer inspection Yugi found the sarcophagus was missing it's life to reveal the mummy inside. The mummy seemed to be intact after three thousand years. You could not tell the body shape anymore, but the richness of the room stated that this had been a pharaoh.

"Look at this. How could you guys miss this? Yami can you tell me what that says." Kayla asked looking up from an inscription at the base of the platform. Yami walked down to see what she was asking about. As he read it his eyes widen. "Well" Kayla prodded him.

"The bearer of the Millennium Puzzle. Our brave pharaoh who saved the world but not himself as he locked the Shadow Games away till his time comes again." Yami translated for them still in shock. Kayla squealed and Yugi laughed.

"Stop you two this is not funny! That is me up there!" Kayla started laughing harder than before.

"Kayla behave. Yami is having a mid life crisis and we are not helping him at all. Let's look around and see what else we can find. Also Kayla, try to read the hieroglyphs before you ask someone to do it for you." Yugi had a feeling she had an idea of that the inscription had said. Yugi walked around with Yami looking at the pictures of his life while Kayla wondered to the far side of the room. It was like something was drawling her to it. Looking around she saw a small handle, unable to resist she grabbed the handle and tried to turn it. It would not turn, so Kayla pushed on it. A door that came about to her chest opened up to reveal a small of spicy incents that flooded her senses.

Bending to her knees she crawled over the hard stone floor with jewels and other precious stone in it to come to a plain room covered wall to ceiling with pictures and hieroglyphs. Standing up Kayla started to look around. Glancing from here to their over the walls a particular picture caught her eye. It was of a man with a rod. Beside that man was other man who looked like him holding a women with brillant blond hair that was rare in Egypt even in this day. Nothing Kayla could find would identify them. Though the man with the rod looked a lot like her best friends father, Seto Kaiba. She looked to the wall that was directly in front of the painting but across from it. As she started reading Yami and Yugi came in finally finding her. As they reached her she gasped.

"Adam's dad is in these hieroglyphs daddy. His name is even Seto. It says that he was the High Priest that took over after the pharaoh died saving the kingdom. It also mentions his sadness at being left alone in the world after his son killed himself after the death of his wife. Over there I found more on the Pharaoh." Kayla walked over to the south wall and pointed to a picture that showed the Pharaoh dueling.

"It says that he just as others, participated in games that were battled not on this plain or this realm, but in a place were shadows give power and spell destruction for a person soul. It is eternal damnation. Far worse than anything that can be found in the underworld. It also says they did it for pleasure, power, and dominance among mortals. Monsters had become so powerful that they had to be locked away, but mages soon learned to harness the monsters power and release them from the tablets to do battle. The mages taught the noble's and royalty how to handle the monsters. Some noble's and royalty were mages themselves, such as the pharaoh and the high priest. Lastly it says that it was the High Priest that decorated this room with its paintings and hieroglyphs to tell the story of the pharaoh and his life." Kayla had tears coming out as she read the story the High Priest painted. Turning back to the wall with the family on it Kayla touched the wall and felt a surge flow thru her. Pain, happiness, fear, and understanding filled her every pore.

"Kayla what is it?" Yugi was a bit scared for his daughter.

"Nothing daddy I just felt something powerful come from this. It is so sad that the High Priest's son killed himself after his wife was taken from him. How could someone live with such pain? To have all you value taken from you?" Kayla's tears flowed unguarded.

"You will be amazed at what people go thru young one." Yami hugged her as he led her out of the tomb and to the jeep.

"I hope we never suffer that fate Yami." Kayla got into the jeep to head to the house. They had a lot of work to do now that they had found the right tomb.

~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~ :::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~:::~::: ~ :::~:::~:::~

Nine months later at Domino Airport

"I can't believe after all of this time they are finally getting to come back" Ryou even though he was thirty-one years old and couldn't help but bounce at the thought of his best friend coming back.

"Dad pluleasse we are in public. Do you really want to stunt my social growth with such behavior?" Milia was annoyed at having to miss the movies with her friends. Bakura just laughed at the thirteen year old.

"Hush brat. I can be excited to see my best friend." Joey in turn laughed at the pink that tinged Milia's cheeks.

"It's ok kiddo you can go see tha movie later. Just go easa on ya ol' man." Joey tired to clam Milia down. She had Bakura's temper. Joey looked around and saw two brown heads of hair belong to the Kaiba son and father duo. Joey smiled at the thought of what Adam and Kayla would do when they meet again. Suddenly Duke yelled. Joey looked to see two very tan men with spiky tri colored hair and a tan blond who looked as tall as her fathers. Joey laughed when he heard a shriek and saw Kayla tackle Adam with a bear huge just as she always did.

"Hey their Yug, Yami. It is great to have you guys back. I can tell Kayla and Adam are happy." Joey broke the group hug to see Kayla and Adam hugging each other very tightly.

"Yes they are. That is all Kayla could talk about on the plane was seeing Adam. You would think those two were in love or something."

"Bite your tongue Pharaoh. I would never let my son date someone who works for me." Seto came up to the group followed by Adam and Kayla.

"Hey dad here is something you might want to try, it's called shutting up." Seto just glared at his son who in turn glared back.

"As much fun as it would to see son verse father part one million, we need to get these guys back to the game shop and settled in." Duke interjected seeing a fight coming between the older and younger Kaiba.

"Want me to come by and hang for a while tomorrow Kayla?" Adam asked shooing his father away.

"Sure thing Adam. How about one?" Adam nodded his head as he left with his father.

"Well at least he still likes you. I can't believe how bad you were worrying." Yugi whispered into Kayla's ear as they gathered their luggage.

"Leave me alone ok?" Kayla did not want to be reminded.

"Very well kiddo. Lets go get in the car and head home." Yugi ushered her to the waiting car as the others loaded everything into the truck to take them back to the game shop. When they all arrived they ordered pizza as they started unpacking everything into the rooms. They had to redone Kayla's room since she was no longer a baby. It took the good portion of the evening to get most of the stuff unpacked. Souvenirs and extra things bought in Egypt where left packed till time could be found to unpack them. Yugi still had to get orientated at his new job as the Egyptian curator at the Domino Museum, while Yami needed to get used to the game shop again as well as sign Kayla up for seventh grade so she could go to school with Adam, Jackson, and Milia.

"Are you glad to be home baby girl?" Yugi asked as he tucked her into her bed for the first time in her old room in nine years.

"Yes daddy I am very happy to be home and close to my best friend again." Kayla snuggled into the blankets as Yugi left to go to his room where Yami was waiting for him.

"It's good to be home." Yugi said against Yami's mouth as they fell their bed in each other's heated embrace.

//Yes it is aibou. May we never leave here for that long ever again.// Yami let all his feeling flood their mind link as they enjoyed themselves for the night.