Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cold Night Air ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cold Night Air

Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Penguins4Sale: Yay! You came back to read the second chapter! I'm so happy. Please be aware that this is an AU.

<><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><>

Once again Serenity Wheeler was walking home alone. Her brother, Joey, who would usually walk her home had recently applied for a job and got it. Unfortunately it meant night shifts and no time to pick her up.

It was 9:00 and her being the only person on the streets made her nervous. No one was there to talk to or reassure her that she would get home safely.

"Now where are those keys…" Serenity mumbled, looking through her purse and walking down the street. She was only two blocks from her apartment now.

"Is there something wrong my dear? I do believe I may be of assistance." Came a dark and handsome voice. A man hidden in the shadows stepped forward, still managing to keep his eyes concealed from the dim street light.

Serenity looked up rather surprised anyone was there. The thought that maybe he had been stalking her crept into her mind, but she blew it off as just a nervous assumption.

"Oh I just, lost my keys." She explained. She looked back down in her purse and pretended to look for it again, hoping to hide the slight blush that had grown on her face.

While rummaging through her purse, she dropped a compact make-up kit on the sidewalk, causing it to split in two.

"Oh great" She sighed, bending down to retrieve the broken pieces, not realizing that the strangers reflection was not visible, when it should have been, in the tiny mirror.

"Might these be yours…Ms. Wheeler?" the man asked. He held up a key chain holding about 3 or 4 keys, and a pink heart decoration. On the heart was a picture of a young man about 18 or 19 with messy blonde hair. He was smiling and holding up Serenity on his back as they were both gave victory signs.

"And who might that be, if you don't mind me asking. A spouse perhaps?" The man asked as though he already knew the answer.

"No," Serenity smiled as she took the keys from the man, "He's my brother." She remembered the day that picture was taken too. It was after her 17th birthday and he had taken her to an amusement park where he forced her on all the scariest rides. The picture was taken around sunset so the sky was filled with purples, reds, and even some blue as the sky slowly darkened.

"…And how do you know my name?" She questioned.

"Oh, I know many things," he said, stepping out of the shadows completely.

Serenity gasped as she recognized him.

"What? Is something wrong…my dear?" he asked, his snowy white hair glistening under the streetlight.

"N-nothing. You just, look like someone I know. That's all."

"Really?" He said grinning.

"Who might that be?" He asked, knowing completely well who.

He walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her waist and whispered, "You are the one I have been searching for. These dreams will not stop until they are fulfilled-"

Serenity shot up from her desk at the sound of her name. Managing to knock over a pile or two of paperwork.

"Wheeler! I have told you once, if you are to keep your job here, you will work. Not daydream." Kaiba growled. Everyone else in the office stopped what he or she was doing when they heard him shout.

"Yes Sir, I'm sorry." Serenity said, standing up to bow to him.

"One more time Wheeler, one more time and you will be working with that brat Gardener at a fast food place where your pay check is determined by the size of your chest," Kaiba brought down his voice to a harsh whisper, "and by the looks of you, you'll be living on the streets by the time you get a decent check there."

Serenity could not believe what this guy just said. Now she was fuming, she did not have a small chest!

"And she gets good money huh?" Serenity said, forgetting (or maybe not) to whisper, "Only you would know, Mr. Kaiba."

"Wheeler…" Kaiba said in a threatening tone.

"Yes?" Serenity answered in a sickly sweet voice.

"You're fired."

~TBC~