Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Costume Jewelry ❯ Material ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Joey wouldn't have been too afraid to tell her he saw her in that vision that let him get up after Ra's attack.
 
This is Mai after Marik shadow-gamed her on the Battle Ship.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYG OYGO
 
Well, this wasn't such a bad way to spend eternity, she told herself. It wasn't exactly heaven, but it wasn't what she would have picked for a hell, either.
 
Although the sand had been pretty scary when it started falling, until she calmed down and realized that being stuck here for eternity meant he probably wasn't going to kill her quick with the sand. She'd cupped her hands in front of her mouth and nose, so she didn't have any of it going down her throat, and the pieces were round, so they weren't rubbing her skin raw. It was just sort of annoying, and made it hard to move.
 
Not that there was anywhere to move to, in this stupid hourglass. This… was her soul, right? Well, if it was her body, she'd be uncomfortable as hell in this position, after as long as she'd been sort of crouching, kneeling here. How long?
 
Eternity. Who cared how long it had been? She'd tried to fall asleep, but she didn't know if she had or not… no way to mark the time.
 
But… why sand, and an hourglass? Why not whips and chains and razors and branding irons? The freak had looked the type… she'd have thought there would be pitchforks.
 
And… only having her horrible memories wasn't very good, but it made her miss what she'd had less. Not that that was very much.
 
It wasn't so bad here. Didn't have to make money, didn't have to be married off to the highest bidder, didn't have to be oogled by guys, her only consolation a stupid card game. Had she been so desperate she'd found stupid slips of paper enough of a consolation to go on living?
 
She was well out of it, she told herself. She shouldn't be crying over something so stupid. Hell, the bastard'd done her a favor. She missed being able to move, sure, but she had a constant reminder of what she'd never had right in front of her.
 
That was the bit that hurt. It was only a little pain, but she just bet it would get more and more over time. She could easily, so easily, grow to hate the two vivacious brunette girls splashing around with their buddies, in their designer swimsuits. Just like her, why did she have what she'd never had?
 
The little innocent boy who was going to get that innocence beat right out of him like she had… if this was the real world. But no, he'd stay that happy and innocent, being pranked and laughing at it by the two stupid jocks, like had always looked at her like a piece of meat, and hated it and got revenge in a hundred small ways whenever she'd proved them wrong. That blond especially was so very handsome, and she bet he knew it. She bet he thought he was a player, got all the girls to fawn on him, treated them like dirt. Bastard.
 
Like that jerk who'd tried to beat her and get her to marry him, after she'd embarrassed him by beating him. Dumped her in midair and she'd fallen to the ground, catching herself on a flagpole on the way down, but then she'd slipped, and…
 
Don't think about it.
 
But, well, look on the bright side. It wasn't like he could come in here, from what the guy had said. No attacks, no cruel barbs… if all she could do was look, then she'd look. It was safe, after all.
 
Just a stupid illusion, he couldn't hurt her unless she let herself resent him.
 
She did have to admit he was a piece of work, though. And the swimsuit was pretty beat up, so not some guy who's trying to look that good. Which was a point in his favor. And he had nice abs: some muscles on him. Wrestling? Those weren't the big, unbalanced ones body builders liked to show off by sticking in her face until she used her spiked heels to get them to get lost. Maybe a part time job? A pretty active one. Blue-collar?
 
What was she thinking, she wasn't Sherlock Holmes, she couldn't figure out the history of some kid who was probably just part of the illusion just by checking him out in a swimsuit.
 
But, then, what else was there to do? The most of the others were clearly Japanese, even the weird-haired kid, and they were hanging out with this blond, and not a bleach-blond, she knew hair dye when she saw it, and if it was hair dye, it was a damn good job, and she doubted a kid in a raggedy swimsuit could or would pay for one that good.
 
One of the brunette girls, the one with lighter brown hair, kept hugging him very enthusiastically, but it didn't look like he was robbing the cradle. He looked… affectionate, and happy, laughing and petting her on the head as she pouted at him and shook her finger at him. She couldn't hear any words in here, but she would just bet the girl was saying, “Oni-chan! I'm not a little kid anymore!”
 
Her older brother never would have played around with her like that. He'd never wanted his kid sister around his friends at all, because she would embarrass him. She supposed she was supposed to be injured by that too, but it was just… sweet. See? He wasn't so bad. No reason to get worked up for the rest of eternity.
 
Really. In an hourglass, surrounded by happy, laughing kids. And some sweet eye candy… the bastard wasn't seriously expecting her to get all worked up about how she could look but never touch, right? That was just stupid. She'd always been on the outside looking in.
 
This wasn't really anything new, nothing to get upset about, that she'd never find out about the poor boy with the sister who had money (divorced?) and really loved him. That she'd never get to see if that hair was really the same color as her own, or play in the beach like them, and laugh, and act like she had… friends…
 
This was a miserable excuse for a hell. Definitely nothing to cry over, she told herself.