Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Seduction ❯ The End? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dark Seduction
Final Phase
 
 
Wailing screams was a language well suited for the tortured souls of the shadows.
Never-ending darkness was their salvation and their curse.
They were mostly all forgotten, but never alone.
The Shadow Realm was full of occupants.
And oddly enough, they were getting a visitor.
 
Painful shrieks and sorrowful screeches circled around Serenity's head.
In pure contrast, her eyes gingerly fluttered open.
'Am I dreaming?' she asked herself, but quite foolishly.
She knew all too well that these 'supernatural experiences' she'd been having were the result of her dreaming.
But what she didn't know was her encounters existed between her dreams and the Shadow Realm. Part was reality while the other fed into that reality.
 
Her link to the Shadow Realm was partly through Joey since he was banished there, but mostly from Marik.
 
He had sent many souls to perish and suffer fates far beyond death.
Perhaps, that hefty sin would be shared with Serenity now as well.
 
Once she finally accepted that her surreal and eerie surroundings were fabricated, to an extent, she struggled to push herself up.
“Where... where am I...?”
Her empty and foolish question only echoed within the space around her.
 
Swells of darkness were everywhere, followed by the close contact of wraiths and other spiritual beings.
 
Clumps of shaded nothingness marched in a countless mass crowds before her.
 
She squinted to get a better view of these beings and recognized them to be people.
But not just people. Souls.
 
Light fingertips touched the airy gasp that brushed past her lips.
 
“Th-these people...” her astonishment continued to echo in the odd place “ They're.... ah!”
 
She shrieked as a cold slither snaked up her arm. With fear brimming her eyes, she whirled around to face the causer. And when she did, her pupils shrank two sizes.
 
Standing before her was the shadowy figure of Mai Valentine.
Her whole body was cloaked in darkness. Her eyes were dulled and feebly focused on nothing and distant.
She remained as less than a mere shell of her former self. She was a drone. An aimless zombie.
She didn't even notice Serenity's presence. The young girl had only been standing in the way.
 
“Oh...Mai...” Serenity managed to choke out in a whisper while she dejectedly watched her former friend trudge right by her.
 
Then soon, other drone-like souls began to pass her. Some of them recognizable, but the majority of them were not.
 
She could feel a wave of nausea swishing its way up from the pit of her stomach and she instinctively clasped a hand over her mouth.
In a panic, she squeezed her eyes shut.
 
'What is this place?!' she screamed in her mind '...This has to be the Shadow Realm!'
 
Fighting her sudden sickness, she forced her eyes open and looked around.
'This is the place Marik sent all those souls?'
 
Then realization hit her.
'If this is the Shadow Realm, then...is Marik here too?'
 
Her heart leapt in her chest at the thought of meeting her lover here and without knowing, she began to run through the crowds, looking for Marik.
 
“Marik!!” she called. She paused for a moment to stand on her tippy toes to search for him.
And overflowing wave of relief sprouted throughout her being when she thought she caught glimpse of his spiky hair in the distance.
But everything was so dark and ill-lit, it was difficult to tell.
 
“Marik!!” she called again, this time pushing through the lost souls that stood in her way.
 
She began getting closer and closer to him.
 
'I'm almost there!' she cried happily in her mind. ' Just wait for me, Marik!'
“Oof!” she gasped and nearly lost her balance.
Then quickly, she clasped a hand over her chest. Her heart.
A sudden and sharp pain sliced through her. All she did was bump into something. Why did it cause her so much pain?
 
Once her suffering subsided, her confused eyes lifted to what she ran into.
And shock claimed her attention yet again with someone she thought she had lost forever.
Her mouth hung open in a gape. She couldn't even say his name.
 
She didn't deserve to.
 
Unlike the other souls, this one didn't budge. He just stood there in front of her and freely allowed her gaze of betrayal to be wrought upon him.
 
'Serenity...'
 
She shivered from the uttering of her name. It wasn't spoken. Instead, it felt branded into her soul.
“Stop it” she whispered, adverting her eyes from him. She couldn't even look at him.
 
When she looked away, she caught a hint of Marik she thought she saw before.
As soon as the subdued passion returned in her heart, she pushed past the soul of her lost brother without a second thought.
 
Only after she had begun to run for a full second, did she realize her mistake and dared to turn around.
 
But, his soul was longer there to be found.
 
Sadly, she closed her eyes, feeling the full assault of her wrong-doings squeeze her heart and drag it down to her stomach.
The stinging pang of tears pricked the back of her eyes in response.
About-facing, she continued to look for Marik's attributes.
But she did it in vain.
She already knew once she pushed past her own brother to chase after some alluring fling, she had lost both of them.
By pursuing one, she was forcing both of them away from her.
Understanding the truth of her thoughtless actions, Serenity lost all hope and fell to her knees.
Her screaming cries pierced the invisible walls of the Shadow Realm and returned to her in a thousand echoes of pain, loss and delirium.
 
Once she bellowed the name of one individual, everything around her, everything started to fade.
 
-
 
“NO!!!” Serenity wailed as her dozing eyes shot open.
Streaks of red marked her frantic eyes as they madly scanned the room.
She could hear the muffled sound of her rapid heart banging against her ribs pound in her ears while she struggled to catch her wheezing breath.
“Marik!” she squeaked weakly between pants. She felt dizzy. And for some reason, her arm hurt badly.
 
It took a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to the darkened room. But once they did, the cryptic words Malik left her with invaded her mind and provoked her sanity.
 
To bring your beloved Marik back, you would have to kill him. But if you did that…then I would have to kill you.”
 
“No...!” she refused and started to force herself to her feet. “Malik, how could you...” she spat sourly as if his name were a curse.
 
“Master... Malik...”
 
A frigid chill ran up Serenity's spine at the sound of the sudden deep voice and her breathing ceased.
'It...it can't be...' she whispered in her mind. She barely had to turn around. The dark and muscular figure of Odion stood directly next to her.
 
He had heard her screams and cries of agony while she laid unconscious
In actuality, he had accidentally stepped on her arm and if she hadn't screamed, he would have crushed her entirely from not seeing her on the floor in the darkened room.
 
A shaky hand went to her arm as she squeezed it lightly. It still hurt, but its throbbing pain had subsided.
 
“I apologize. You were on the floor and I didn't see you...” the man stated in a low and apologetic tone that was enhanced by his accent. “Are you allright...?”
 
Wide dark viridian opals stared at Odion. Soon, a glossy film covered them and clear liquid began to flow from them.
 
'What should I do...' she quarreled within herself. 'He's standing right here in front of me....!'
Tiny rivulets of tears pooled at the corners of her mouth as it curved into a hurtful frown.
 
“I...I don't know... I can't make up my mind...!”
“What?” Odion responded, puzzled. He knew something with a much deeper meaning hid behind her troubled words but didn't understand what.
 
It was probably better for him not to know.
 
“Marik...” Serenity whispered, curling her hands into fists.
She should just get it over with. Odion foolishly spared her, but why should she spare him?
One casualty was all it took for her Marik to return.
Although she knew what they had was forbidden, she still wanted it.
The danger, the thrill, the pursuit---she loved it.
All Marik gave her was a few samples here and there, knowing she'd want more.
But she didn't just want more, she craved more, to the point of no return.
 
Marik's charms had this formerly innocent young girl considering even murder for him.
She was losing sense of herself and becoming no more than an insane and clueless fool.
“Marik...” she repeated, her voice almost unrecognizable by herself. “Where is he...”
 
“Marik...?” A sudden realization pierced through Odion as his eyes widened. “Master Malik and that demon! I have to stop them!”
 
Her opportunity was slipping away!
Quickly, she raised a hand to stop him. “W-wait!”
 
But he was too determined to save his friend to bother hearing her voice.
He ran past her gesture as if it wasn't even there and headed towards one of the passageways to the dueling platform.
 
Alone in the room, Serenity dumbfoundedly stood with her hand still raised.
'What was I thinking?!' she sharply scolded herself and threw her arm back to her sides.
'I can't kill a man! I can't kill anyone! Not even to bring Marik or Joey back!! That's why---That's why I wanted Marik to win against Joey! I knew Joey couldn't beat him and I knew I wouldn't be able to beat him either to get Joey back!'
“No...that isn't why...” she admitted verbally, “I wanted Marik to win...so that I could be by his side... I didn't care if he actually made me his queen or not...! I just wanted to be with him...!”
Brief images of her and Marik sharing embraces and each other fleeted through her mind.
Her desire for obtaining the unknown surpassed everything else that was once very dear to her.
Her friends.
Her family.
Joey...
 
“Joey....” she cried “ I went as far as to betray my own....” she trailed off. Her selfish words were swallowed up by a bout of tears and remorseful sounds of anguish.
All empty and in vain.
 
She still wanted Marik.
 
Making her decision, Serenity roughly wiped her eyes with the backs of her delicate hands.
Leaving her sorrow, and weakness aside, she ran out of the room and towards the dueling platform.
 
-
 
Warm and billowing winds wavered cautiously atop the dueling platform. It was as if it were cautiously awaiting what event would unfold before and during the duel.
 
The Pharaoh had already taken his place atop the platform and was sadly adjusting the duel disk on his arm.
 
Malik, on the other hand, stayed a bit of a distance away from him and all those that watched him. He was positioned in a way in a corner that he could see them, but they most likely couldn't see him
A firm hand griped at his stomach tautly as another was clasped over his mouth.
 
His body was getting sick again.
 
Malik didn't want to send any souls to the Shadow Realm. His other half was the fan of doing that.
Although, tonight, his darker counterpart seemed rather silent, which was a rarity within itself.
 
It crossed Malik's mind that it had something to do with that girl, but what else could it be?
 
Malik didn't know exactly where his other half was, but he could feel the faint stream of his consciousness within his own being. It stirred quietly, as if it were half asleep and half aware.
 
This was one opportunity Malik could not let pass him by.
While he was still in control of his own body, he could surrender the duel and then maybe the darkness inside him would disappear.
 
Wordlessly, his violet eyes wandered down to his deck.
Placing one hand over it was all it would take to end everything, get rid of his other half and continue life with Ishizu and Odion.
 
'That's not going to happen...'
Malik frowned at the wavering “voice” in his head. Looks like his darker half wasn't as asleep as he thought.
'What do you want...' Malik seethed mentally.
 
A decrepit image of Marik partially revealed himself. Only Malik could see him at this point.
With crossed arms and an adverted gaze, Marik spoke his thoughts with a grim frown on his face.
“The duel with the Pharaoh is mine to have! There won't be much of an entertaining fight between him and some washed up nobody like you.”
 
Malik growled. “At least I didn't allow myself to become weakened by some foolish little girl!”
Instead of hitting a sore spot, like Malik thought it might, Marik only chuckled at this.
 
“Even she could put up a much better fight against the Pharaoh than you could!”
 
“...She's going to die you know.” Malik blurted out. Although it was a bluff, he wanted to see his dark doppleganger's reaction.
 
Marik grew silent for a moment. Then he shifted his gaze upwards to the clouded heavens. “What do you mean...” he spoke evenly. There was no hint of sarcasm or humor in his tone.
 
Succeeding, Malik smiled to himself, but continued on. “I told that girl I'd kill her if she tried to bring you back.”
 
“Hmph. Enough with your lies, you weakling. Serenity knows nothing about the bond between us and that servant.”
“Oh, yes she does...” Malik half-lied. “If she takes Odion down, you will reemerge...” he trailed off to gather his next statement and then continued, “...and if that were to happen, I would have to kill her...”
 
Marik listened intently. But he saw a hole in his weaker self's words.
 
“Tsk tsk...” Marik grinned. “Trying to manipulate the poor girl. My how you've changed! Who would have thought you would stoop so low! It was as if you had some evil and conniving role model to go by! Oh..wait a minute...! That's me!”
“Will you shut up?! Don't you even care about what happens to her?”
“What is it to you if I did?”
“You fool! You haven't been listening to a word I said!”
“Huh? What's that? I could have sworn I heard you say something...” Marik jeered, sticking a pinky in his ear.
Malik sighed heavily and shook his head. “Whatever! I'll make sure you don't come out at all!”
Marik mocked a whine. “Ohhh, but I HAVE to meet my QUOTA today! I've only sent 2 souls to the shadows so far!!” he laughed and his tone darkened. “...I need to send yours and the Pharaoh's so that I can become Pharaoh!”
“Not if I surrender, you won't” Malik's plan accidentally tumbled out of his mouth.
Marik raised an eyebrow. A cheerful image of Serenity flashed through his consciousness. He couldn't lose here. He refused.
Although that girl caused him much pain and suffering because of her friends, Marik still gave her something no one else had. And she accepted.
With all ulterior motives aside for the time being, Marik had to admit that becoming a part of her and allowing her to become a part of him was a thrilling new experience.
Of course now his weaker half was no longer a virgin since it was his body that Marik had to use, but to Marik, that was a minor detail for now.
 
Marik did feel something for Serenity, but he didn't want to dispose of her just yet...
 
Chuckling evilly to himself, Marik licked his lips and glanced to Malik.
“Do as you please... heh heh....” he mused and his image disappeared.
 
Malik blinked. “Well, that was rather easy.”
 
With thoughts of his triumph swimming in his head, his eyes trailed upto the dueling platform and lingered on the form of the Pharaoh. He stood tall and poised, ready to fight to the last.
 
“Let this be the end.” Malik spoke quietly to himself and prepared to make his way to initiate the duel. But the moment he took the first few steps to reveal himself to the others, he began to feel extremely drained.
Hesitating, he struggled with his movements and ended up falling to his knees.
'Get out of my head!' he tried to yell, but his words remained unheard.
 
The Pharaoh and the others stood their ground as they watched a slithery light emit from the Millennium Rod.
Seconds later, the dark and malicious form of Marik stood in Malik's place. Coughing, he staggered a bit, but quickly regained control of his body.
 
“ Heh heh...hahahaha!” he cackled “Did I say do as you please? Whoops, looks like I lied! Now...” he continued, dragging his glazed and accusing eyes towards the Pharaoh.
A mocking grin snaked across Marik's lips as he farced a respectful bow.
 
“Shall we?”
 
-
 
 
The sharp clacking of Serenity's shoes echoed loudly through the empty halls of the ship as she ran.
Sweat beaded across her forehead and her long locks matted against her slick skin.
'Wait for me!' she desperately called in her mind.
Several waves of nausea washed over her, but she did not stop.
The steps leading upto her destination were seconds within reach. Out of nowhere, a crashing wave of dizziness cascaded through her body and she fell to her knees with a yelp.
Why...why was this happening now?
 
Joey was already gone. She couldn't bear the reality of losing Marik too.
Without a second thought,m the tortured girl forced herself to her feet and had to use the wall as support as her determination continued to lead her.
 
-
 
The timing for the duel seemed to pass rather swiftly. Only mere minutes had passed, and already Marik had already summoned Ra and had demolished more than half of the Pharaoh's life points.
But in this duel, the spirits of their 'weaker' counterparts vanished with each subtraction to their life points.
Yugi's legs and shoulders could no longer be seen while nearly Malik's whole body had been removed.
Only his saddened eyes were visible.
 
Even the wind seemed to stand-still as a hearty cackle from Marik erupted into the night.
“This duel is mine!” he proclaimed, pointing directly at the Pharaoh.
He could only gasp in admitting that so far in the duel, Marik was right. But he wasn't known as the King of Games for nothing.
 
“Yugi, what are you doing?!” Kaiba's irritated voice rang out. “Stop fooling around with this maniac and win this duel!”
Slightly awed by his rival's coaching, the Pharaoh sent his wide amethyst eyes to dwell within his harsh blue ones.
“Kaiba...” was all he could utter.
 
Marik watched the two with obvious boredom on his face and stuck a finger in his ear.
“Oh get a room, you two.”
 
The Pharaoh and Kaiba quickly diverted their attention back to Marik.
Kaiba shouted some random outburst that Marik easily ignored, but the Pharaoh clumsily fumbled with the cards in his hand before setting two of them and ending his turn.
 
Marik chuckled. “Oh? Finished already? Good. And if you two are done exchanging sweet nothings for the night, I highly suggest we continue our duel. Or should I say, continue with my victory?? Draw!”
 
Marik grinned as he looked over his new hand. A dark sneer overtook his features and he slowly glared up at the partial form of his counterpart. “Don't worry...Your suffering will end soon...”
Unable to speak, Malik only peered back at his darker side through half-lidded glossed eyes.
 
'Odion...' his consciousness whispered.
Dejectedly, he lifted his defeated gaze upwards towards the Pharaoh.
As he did, the glimpse of another moving body in the distance caught his attention.
It was moving so slowly as if in pain.
 
'..It must be that foolish girl...' his consciousness wavered in defeat and he slowly closed his eyes.
 
Suddenly, he felt Marik's mental grasp on him diminishing. Malik heard him growl and sound as if he were staggering back.
“You...!” he spat, grabbing his head.
 
Unknown to his own curiousness, Malik opened his eyes and felt them double in size.
 
There in the distance, was Odion.
His heavy body relied on the support of a structured wall to help him stand on his feet.
His chest heaved as he kept a firm hand to it as if it would help control and maintain his respiratory flow.
 
His full lips quivered to form desired words.
“M-Master.... Malik...”
 
“NO!!” Marik shouted, still struggling with himself.
He could feel his spirit being stretched and continuously switched between where Malik's was.
 
He was losing control.
 
 
A soft gasp flew into the air that remained unheard by the events overpowering it.
“Oh Marik...” a light voice claimed in a pained whisper.
On the entrance opposite of where Odion made his appearance, Serenity stood with a hand clutching at her heart.
She was too late.
Just when she was able to see Marik again, that man had to show up and ruin everything!
Soon, the saddened defeat that swirled in her chest tightened and malformed into hatred and rage.
Frantically, her eyes darted between Malik, Marik and Odion.
As Marik and Malik's positions began to solidify in opposite places with Malik being back in control of his own body, Serenity's beryl eyes fell on the Millennium Rod.
 
And within a moment's breath, her body began to move on its own.
Within seconds, she was at the base of the platform.
Within a few more, she had climbed atop it.
Through all the commotion between Marik and Malik's identity crisis, Tèa and Ishizu were the firsts to acknowledge Serenity's odd and puzzling movements.
“Serenity!!” They both called out to her in confusion and astonishment at her presence. But once they realized what she actually aimed to do, their calls changed from bewildered to frantic.
But neither of them could move fast enough to stop her.
 
The second Serenity snatched the Millennium Rod from Malik's grasp and pushed him aside, everything seemed to almost happen in slow motion.
 
Serenity lunged from the platform with the Millennium Rod held high.
 
Countless shouts and screams for her to stop massed together into silence as she sailed through the air.
 
Glaring viridian met with unexpectant sepia as Odion looked up.
 
Screams again melted into piercing silence as Serenity thrust the sharpened end of the Millennium Item into Odion's chest...
...and forced it in even further, ignoring the horrifying sounds of tearing flesh and tissue.
 
As if she was being controlled by an unknown entity, Serenity yanked the weapon out and stabbed Odion yet again.
 
Repeatedly.
 
And continuously...until the distressed bystanders around her crowded her and tackled her to the ground.
 
Through all the chaos, she felt the Millennium Rod taken from her and someone grab her by the arms and press them against her back.
 
The silenced cries and grieving shouts returned in full sound and plagued her ears.
 
Her body shook as hot tears burned the backs of her eyes and pricked her cheeks.
 
One name was all she could mutter before her senses left her and all she saw was white.
 
Amongst all the chaos, Malik stood watching.
But his head hung low in remorse and anger as he shed tears of his own.
He remembered his foolish words to her.
Striking down Odion was a bluff to make her suffer with her own indecisiveness but he didn't think she would actually go and do it...
 
With the few seconds he could remain in control, Malik raised a shaky hand, then rested it on top of his deck.
After his silent and grieved surrender, he closed his eyes and felt the darkness within him begin to replenish and engulf him.
 
-
 
Several months later...
 
“Come on, Yugi! Or else we're gonna be late!” an impatient Téa exclaimed, holding a bouquet of carnations and daisies in her hands..
“I'm hurrying already!” he exuberantly replied.
The two of them hopped of the train to a much quieter outskirt of Domino City.
Earlier that week, the two had gone to visit Joey.
He still hadn't 'woken up' and was almost pronounced deceased but the doctors that checked him discovered he still had breath in his body.
 
They had gone to see Mai as well. Her condition was the same as Joey's.
 
A few days ago,Yugi received a call from Ishizu about the conditions of her brothers.
Feeling guilty for being friends with the cause of their suffering, Yugi felt obligated to take a trip to Egypt to see them.
He called Téa up and immediately she wanted to go too.
 
Then they both remembered about Serenity.
 
Ever since her brutal attempt at manslaughter on the duel blimp, she was instantly confined and strapped down until the paramedics arrived.
Within 24 hours, she was sent to a mental hospital and has been institutionalized there ever since.
 
Today would be the first time Yugi and Téa had ever seen her in months.
 
In truth, they were a bit hesitant about visiting a psycho, but Serenity was still their friend.
 
Or so they wanted to believe.
 
 
The hospital wasn't very far from the train station.
The two headed inside and waited to be inspected before continuing onward to her room.
At the door, the two nervously exchanged glances as if silently telling the other to open the door first.
After a while, Téa finally caved in and lightly rapped on the door with her knuckles.
“S...Serenity?” she called hesitantly, “A...are you awake?”
 
Faint sounds of movement and ruffling of bedsheets were heard on the other side.
“Please come in” Serenity's gentle voice answered.
 
Yugi and Téa glanced at each other again in slight astonishment before Téa opened the door.
 
Shadows from the hallway spilled into the stark white of the room.
The walls and floor were padded.
Serenity's lithe figure sat unrestrained to the bed, with her attention lingering off into the distance.
 
Instantly, Yugi and Téa began to question themselves if this was really such a good idea.
 
But to break the ice, Serenity spoke for them.
Facing them, she smiled sweetly. “Hello. It's nice to see you two.”
Her words floated between them, carrying the air that she could possibly be addressing strangers.
 
Yugi found this odd, but Téa took a bold step forward. “Here, these are for you.” she gestured, handing Serenity the flowers, but the girl quickly recoiled.
 
“Oh nono! We're not allowed to touch anything from the outside unless instructed by a doctor!”
 
Téa blinked. “..O...oh. Then uh, I'll just leave them here.” she decided, bending down to place them on the padded floor.
 
Yugi didn't know about Téa, but he was ready to book it out of there. But instead, he attempted conversation.
 
“So, Serenity! H-how have you been?”
 
“Oh fine!” she smiled.
Yugi gulped.
 
“Have you seen your mother?” Téa asked.
 
The frail girl slowly shook her head. Thin wisps of hair hardly floated over her shoulders it looked so brittle.
“No. I haven't.”
 
“Oh...” Téa trailed off. The poor girl looked so lost. She had to cheer her up.
“Say!” Téa perked up “Yugi and I went to see Joey the other day...!”
Yugi nodded.
 
At the name, Serenity felt her body flinch, but she casually blinked and tilted her head to the side. “Who's Joey?”
 
Crushing disbelief seemed to thin the air in the room and smother any fleeting hope.
 
All Yugi and Téa could do was look at each other with pained and shocked expressions.
 
Oblivious to the impact her lack of remembrance had on them, Serenity innocently leaned forward in the bed like a curious child. “Is he someone I know?”
 
This was too much.
“I think we should leave, Téa” Yugi whispered, barely moving his lips.
“I understand how you feel, but we told ourselves we'd take her out of here today!”
Yugi sighed.
“She may not even remember us anymore, but we're still her friends, Yugi!”
Yugi sighed again, this time in defeat. “You're right”
 
“Hmm?” Serenity curiously wondered, her eyes big and bright.
Just like that of a child.
 
Hours later, the three of them arrived in Egypt.
As soon as they got off the plane, Ishizu dashed upto them with relief on her lips.
“Oh thank Ra you all made it!” she exclaimed, hugging all of them.
“I forgive you.” she whispered in Serenity's ear when she hugged her.
But the pale girl only blinked and looked to Yugi for understanding.
 
“L-let's just move on.” was his uncomfortable response.
 
As minutes passed, Ishizu informed them of their lives upto the present.
Malik fell unconscious shortly after surrendering and Odion was still recovering, but also unconscious
 
In her own words, Ishizu explained how after her brother surrendered the duel, the dark spirit within him reemerged and flickered before leaving for good.
 
Yugi and Téa nodded while she explained when they understood. Serenity on the other hand wasn't paying attention at all.
 
Once they reached the dwelling where Odion and Malik rested, Ishizu led them all inside, but continued to elaborate on precise details.
 
While Yugi and Téa listened and contributed to the conversation, neither one of them noticed Serenity's heightened curiosity pull her away from them.
 
Her soft shoes barely shuffled as she strayed into the cooled structure.
Step by cautious step, she soon found where Odion slept.
Her eyes lowered and her lips slightly curved into a frown.
Displeased and uninterested in the sight of him, she wandered elsewhere.
She didn't have to go too far to reach Malik's room.
The instant she entered, she felt her heart skip a beat then increase in its movement.
In awe, she placed a light hand to it as a futile attempt to slow its frantic beating.
Her legs suddenly felt like foam while her knees kissed the other.
 
She suddenly felt so nervous looking at this young man and she had no idea why.
 
The more she dared to know more about him, the closer she neared to his bedside.
Soon, she was on her knees and her face was close enough to his she could feel his breath against her cheek.
 
Slowly, she closed her eyes as an unknown captivation fell over her.
It surrounded her and engulfed her within its unseen power and gave her the false implication of security.
 
Almost immediately she welcomed its presence and hugged her arms across her chest.
 
“Serenity!” she heard Yugi's faint voice call out to her. Téa's and Ishizu's followed right after.
'They're coming for me...' Serenity thought. Her eyes lowered in sadness.
Pressing a hand to the cold floor, she pushed herself upto her feet.
As she did, her skin suddenly felt cold and she felt frozen in place.
 
Seren...i...ty...
 
The girl gasped at the ominous voice that entered her mind. The slight pang of tears stung at the backs of her eyes and her mouth hung open in a gape.
'W-why...' she pleaded, then frantically grabbed her head and screamed.
 
 
“Serenity!!” the three continued to call. “Serenity!! Oh! Yugi, Téa, she's in Malik's room!”
 
“Serenity...are you allright” Téa was the first to ask while catching her breath,
“What happened?” Yugi added shifting his eyes around the room.
 
Serenity said nothing at first.
She stood with her back to them. Her body was clearly trembling.
 
The three of them exchanged confused expressions. It didn't make any sense to them that she would be behaving in such a way around Malik. But they were certainly relieved that she wasn't in Odion's room instead.
 
Always the usual one to break the ice, Téa took a step closer to the frail girl and lightly touched her shoulder. “You look so pale. Did you see a mouse or something?”
 
Serenity flinched at the other girl's gesture, but her body soon relaxed.
Cheerfully, she spun around and smiled warmly at her 'friend'.
“Of course I'm fine! You really shouldn't worry so much, you know.”
Needless to say, they were all taken aback by the sudden upbeat and bold usage of words.
But they quickly shrugged it off.
“Come on, you ready to go?” Téa offered, slipping a comforting arm around Serenity's shoulders.
She wasn't sure, but she could have sworn she saw a glare in Serenity's eyes that showed she thought about wriggling out of Téa's embrace, but Téa chose to give her the benefit of the doubt.
 
As Yugi and Téa began leaving the place with Serenity, Ishizu bowed to them, then returned to her brothers' rooms to check on them.
 
The obvious shock on her face was clearly evident at the sight of both Malik and Odion sitting up on their beds, fully conscious.
And hungry.
 
Without thinking, the elegant woman dashed out to meet with the teens before they all left on their flight.
The lithe brunette was the last one to board. When she sensed Ishizu's oncoming presence, she turned around smiling.
“Serenity!” she heaved, catching her breath. “What...what happened...?”
Serenity chuckled in her throat. “What's the matter Ishizu? You look as if you've seen a ghost!”
“Malik...and Odion.... They're awake now!” she exclaimed, glancing back from whence she came, “You must have seen or heard something!”
 
Serenity was only half listening. Not to be purposely rude, but she really didn't want to linger there longer than need-be.
Not knowing what else to do, she stepped towards the woman and hugged her.
Ishizu stood in surprise, not moving, then returned the girl's embrace.
“I'm sorry.” Light words tumbled from pale lips. “But there's nothing I can tell you...dear sister...” she added, almost mockingly
“What!” Ishizu gasped and immediately pulled away from the girl. But her words became lost to her.
Seeing this as a great opportunity to leave, Serenity winked to the woman and headed into the plane.
 
Ishizu could only remain watching the plane take off with a dumb-founded look on her face.
Then she shook her assumptions away. Serenity's speech had been a little odd that day. Maybe she was just expressing other speech patterns since she had been away from civilization from so long.
 
Ishizu told herself that was it, although a nagging sensation in the pit of her stomach told her otherwise.
She ignored it.
Malik and Odion were both awake and so far, seemed to be fine. And Malik was himself again without the darkness encircling his heart.
What more could she ask for?
 
Silently, she remained watching the plane until it disappeared into the streaked reds, pinks and oranges of the horizon above and beyond her.
 
-
 
“Whew! I'm glad that's over with!” Téa stated happily while stretching her arms high above her head.
“You can say that again!” Yugi joined in as he got comfortable as best he could in his seat.
 
Serenity, who sat in a row of two seats by herself across from them, remained silent.
 
Téa moved towards the girl to start conversation with her, but a light grasp on her shoulder from Yugi stopped her.
He simply shook his head. “I think Serenity needs a break for today.” he whispered sympathetically.
Hesitant, Téa looked at the girl and her eyes softened at what she saw.
 
Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Serenity's appearance portrayed someone lost and deprived. Almost as if they had no soul. A shell.
 
Now she understood where Yugi was coming from and rested back in her seat.
 
Quietly, the two of them carried on their own conversation.
 
But unknown to them, a small smile had begun to form on Serenity's face.
And only to be seen by her, the image of Marik emerged from her being with a huge mocking grin on his face.
“Looks like I'm called to center stage again!” They both uttered in unison.
 
Hearing her, Téa turned to face her. “Huh? Did you say something?”
 
Smiling brightly, Serenity shook her head. “Nothing you'd care about.”
“Such a nosy girl... All her needless cheerleading will give her wrinkles. Not that I care...” Marik quipped, then returned his attention back to Serenity.
“Hello again, my queen. Miss me?”
 
 
 
 
THE END
 
-
 
A/N: I know this seems like a setup for a sequel, but I really do want to end it here!! Maybe there will be a sequel. Maybe. Because Marik's reference to Serenity can be taken as both amorous banter and that he plans on defeating the Pharaoh with her.
I would rather animate this, but we'll see!
 
 
-Mel