Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon of the Shadowed Light ❯ Chapter 5: Shadow Duel ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: (grins) Hello everyone.

Kitsune: (picks up remaining cards) You look and sound a little too happy today. What have you done?

Shiro: KAZE'S ON VACATION! YYYYYEEEEESSSSSS!

Kitsune and Bast: (sweatdrop)

Shiro: (pouts) Oh come on, this is a cause for celebration! I won't have Kaze breathing down my neck for a week! C'mon Keitaro! You gotta agree with me! Joey? Ky- err... Bastet?

Bastet: (grumbles) I detest my nickname... Can you please call me Kyle?

Shiro: (shrugs) 'kay den.

Keitaro: Hey Shiro, I think you've picked up on Joey's accent. Or have you found a yankee friend finally?

Shiro: Keitaro, school's out. I have no friends here in VA. All my friends live in either upstate New York or G- that other place.

Kitsune: You still refuse to say Georgia?

Shiro: (twitches) Hate the place, like some of the people. The rest of 'em are jerks. Crazy Atlantians... ((Well, I can't really say that since I haven't met everyone there...))

Bast: (raises eyebrow) I take it you lived somewhere near Atlanta then?

Shiro: Yup. I hate city's and small, teeny tiny neighborhoods where you have less than an acre of land and crappy neighbors can look right into your house because they live so close to you. Throw in the fact that it only snowed once the entire time we were there- and I didn't even count that as snow! That was less than a frickin' inch and people freaked out!

Keitaro: (gravely) Lost the snow plows too...

Shiro: How the hell can you frickin' loose snow plows?! How? I never believed it was possible! To quote Napolean Dynamite ((probably spelled that wrong)), "God, frickin' idiots."

Kitsune: Maybe you should go rant in your livejournal for a while, Shiro. Might make you feel better.

Shiro: (nods) 'kay. Catch ya later.

Bast: Your turn, Kyle.

Kyle: Dude, I'm not saying it.

Bast: Say it, Bastet, or face my wrath!

Kyle: (gulps) Shiro doesn't own Yu-Gi-Oh!. She does own Tama, Yume, the Millennium Dragon, and the wierd plot.

Key-
((words))- yami/Dark to hikari/Light
(words)- hikari/Light to yami/Dark

>-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o

Chapter 5: Shadow Duel
The next morning, Ryou awakens to the sound of chirping birds and a sharp pain in his arm. Looking around the room, he sees everything is exactly the way it was before he fell asleep. He feels a pang of guilt when he sees Tama sleeping on the floor beside him. Quietly, so he doesn’t wake Tama up, Ryou gets up off the couch and stretches out. Then he gathers up the bowls and the tray the bread was on. He freezes in place when Tama shifts and murmurs, “Marik, Tama no want no more pudding…”

Ryou quietly laughs and carries the bowls, tray, and chopsticks into the kitchen. After putting them into the dishwasher, he begins making breakfast. He tries his best not to move his injured arm very much, but since the cut is on the arm he uses the most… It’s near impossible.

Tama wakes up about fifteen minutes later from Yume’s incessant poking.

(What is it, Yume? It’s too early to get up.) She sleepily says.

((Your stomach woke me up.)) Yume replies, annoyance in her voice. ((Go eat something so I can go back to sleep.))

Tama yawns. (Yume, I’m at Ryou’s house if you don’t remember. I’m not going to wake him up or go find him so I can eat. It wouldn’t feel right, especially with him not feeling well.) She says sitting up. (Hey, where’d he go?)

((Dunno.))

Tama runs a hand through her messy, tri-colored hair. (If I were Ryou…)

From somewhere within her soul room, Yume snorts. ((That has to be one of the most ridiculous things that people have thought up.))

Tama rolls her eyes at her yami and stands up. (Knowing Ryou and with it being…) She glances at a clock on the wall. (Nine o’clock in the morning, he’s probably in the kitchen.)

((That’s where you would be.))
Yume notes.

Tama says nothing in return as she starts walking to the kitchen. She stops at the doorframe and peers into the kitchen. A soft smile crosses her face as she watches Ryou move easily around the kitchen clad in a faded blue apron.

Yume appears beside her in order to get a better look. ((I don’t understand why you always seem to fall for the cute, innocent-looking ones.))

(And I suppose you go for more of the dangerous looking guy.)
Tama says, rolling her eyes. (Sometimes I wonder how I’m you.)

Yume raises an eyebrow. ((Do you know how weird that sounds?))

(Yes. Now be quiet so I can go tease Ryou like I used to.)
Tama says, before she silently slips into the kitchen.

Yume sighs and decides to lean against the wall to watch her Light cause a little early morning trouble.

In the kitchen, Tama waits until Ryou sets down what he was holding and then, smirking, she whispers, “Morning handsome.” and playfully smacks him on the butt.

Yume chokes back her laughter so she can watch how the scene plays out.

Ryou jumps up about a foot in the air and then whirls around to face Tama. “I should have known you’d do something like that!”

Tama grins. “I couldn’t resist, Ryou-kun! You left your back wide open!” She peers at the breakfast Ryou made. “Anything I can do to help?”

Ryou shakes his head no. “Everything’s all done.”

“Then I’ll take it all to the table.” Tama says determinedly. “You really shouldn’t be using that arm. Look, the bandages are soaked through.”

Ryou glances down at his arm. “I hadn’t really noticed…”

“Baka…” Tama mutters. “After we eat I’m going to re-bandage that.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 -0-0-0-0-0

A week passes without too many incidents. Tama and Malik, everyone quickly learned, started up a prank war that had actually started the first day Tama arrived. Having Tama back in Domino also brought out different sides the others hardly ever show. Tea’s motherly side (“I told you and Malik not to do that!”), Joey’s smarter side (mainly involving numerous discussions on Duel Monsters tactics), Ryou’s playful side (still used to Tama’s pranks, he got her back for anything she pulled on him. For example, him smacking her on the butt with a dish towel after breakfast on Saturday), Duke and Tristan’s slightly shyer sides (although it was mainly just her knowing how to shut them up properly), Malik’s prankster side (of course), and Yugi’s openly curious side.

By Friday the group was used to Tama, Malik, and Ryou’s presences in the group more. Granted, they still don’t trust Malik completely and remain wary of Ryou, but their used to them being around.

Friday Evening
Friday evening soon arrives again except this time Joey, Tea, Yugi, Ryou, Tama, Tristan, and even Malik are all crowded in the Muto’s living room. (Duke had to work)

Tama’s happily chatting with Joey about Duel Monsters strategies and favorite card combinations, Ryou, Malik, and Yugi are quietly discussing their darker halves, and Tristan and Tea are listening to Tama and Joey’s conversation, sometimes throwing in their own comments.

“So polymerizing your Time Wizard with one of your dragons is your favorite combo?” Tama asks. “That’s pretty cool. Nobody would really expect Baby Dragon to be much of a threat.”

Joey nods. “So Tama, what’s your favorite polymerization?”

Tama grins. “Glad you asked, Joey. I don’t really use it unless I have to, but my favorite is polymerizing my Dragon of Chaotic Light and Dragon of Chaotic Darkness together to create my Dragon of the Chaotic Shadows.”

“DUEL!”

Tama, Joey, Tea, and Tristan all blink and look at ‘Yugi’ and ‘Ryou’ who are now standing up and glaring at each other. Tama immediately looks over at Malik suspiciously and he holds his hands up defensively and mouths, “I didn’t do anything!”

Frowning, Tama looks back over at the two boys who are now walking to the back door and her eyes widen when she takes in their changes.

‘Th-that’s not Yugi and Ryou! But… it looks so much like them…’ Tama thinks before turning back to Malik. “Malik,” She slowly starts. “Tell me they don’t have yami’s.”

“I could, but then I’d be lying.” Malik replies semi-cautiously.

The other three left in the house watch, torn between going to watch Yami and Bakura’s duel and breaking up Tama and Malik before they break something. In the end, it’s Tea who decides what to do.

“Hey guys, shouldn’t we go cheer on Yugi?” She asks. “Those two have probably started the duel by now.”

“I’m cheering on Bakura, not Yami.” Malik says, standing up. “Care to join me, Tama?”

Tama stands up as well. “I’m not cheering for either of them. Yugi’s my cousin and Ryou’s my best friend, so I couldn’t possibly cheer on one of them and not the other. I will watch though.”

The five of them make their way outside to the small backyard after this conversation. There, Yami and Bakura have already begun their duel.

Tea, Joey, and Tristan stand on Yami’s side cheering him on as usual. (Although it’s more of Tea and Tristan cheering him on and Joey tossing in a few comments now and then.) Malik is partially on Bakura’s side, giving him silent support. Tama is in the middle so she can talk to Malik.

“So, mind explaining all of this?” Tama asks, watching as Yami plays Dark Magician Girl.

“Long story short, Bakura is the spirit of Ryou’s Millennium Ring and used to be a thief and has a big grudge against the pharaoh. Yami is the spirit of Yugi’s Millennium Puzzle and used to be the pharaoh.” Malik tells her.

Tama sighs. “And I thought our yami’s are weird.”

“Our yami’s are weird, Tama. Mine’s a psychopathic spirit that lives in my mind and yours is a klepto-”

Yume appears beside Tama and glares at Malik. “I dare you to finish that.”

Malik snaps his mouth shut and focuses back on the duel. His silence only lasts but a second. “So, who do you think will win?”

“The pharaoh.” Tama and Yume say at the same time.

Malik blinks. “Damn, and here I figured I could have an easy bet.”

Tama rolls her eyes. “Why do you think I haven’t asked Yugi to duel? He’s the champ of Duel Monsters and I know it!”

“I came in second in Battle City but you still duel me.” Malik says.

“Yeah, and I duel Joey and he came in fourth and almost beat you.” Tama replies. “It-”

“Will you two shut up and watch the duel!?” Yume finally snaps. “And Tama, you already dueled Yugi and it came out a draw. There. End of conversation.”

Tama glares at Yume. Malik glares at Tama. Yume ignores both of them.

“Come on Yugi!” Tea yells. “You can do it!”

“C’mon Yugi! Kick his butt!” Tristan shouts.

Tama and Malik snap out of their small glaring ‘contest’ to stare at Tea and Tristan in something akin to disbelief. Joey shakes his head before joining the other two in the middle.

“I don’t really t’ink Yug’ needs much cheerin’.” He explains. “Bakura probably needs more cheerin’ than Yug’ does. I thought you were cheerin’ for Bakura, Malik.”

“Silent support.” Malik, Tama, and Yume says at the same time. Of course, Joey can’t hear or see Yume.

“Yeah, dat makes sense.” Joey says. “So Tama, why aren’t you all freaked out about dis?”

Tama points to Malik. “He’s my cousin. Need I say more?” At Malik’s look she continues. “I’ve got a yami of my own, so while it’s weird that both my cousin and my best friend have yami’s of their own I’m not completely freaked.”

“Well dat’s weird.” Joey comments. “I didn’ know you have a yami too, Tama.”

“It’s not something you really tell people.” Tama says. “Can you imagine a conversation like that? ‘Hi, I’m Tama and this is the Millennium Dragon in which a 3000 year old Egyptian spirit named Yume lives.’ Yup, I’d be shipped off to the loony bin faster than you can say, ‘Ra dammit’!”

“Hey Bakura!” ‘Malik’ suddenly yells. “Remember Battle City finals!”

Joey and Tama immediately turn their attention back to the duel. (This seems to happen a lot…)

“Battle City?” Joey says. “Wait a second! Dat’s when Yug’ summoned-”

“Slifer the Sky Dragon!” Yami yells. “Come forth my great dragon!”

Tama and Yume’s jaws both drop at the huge red dragon emerges from dark storm clouds that suddenly appear over them. “Osiris…” They both murmur at the same time. Then Yume turns to face Malik. “Why didn’t you tell me he has the god cards?!”

“You never asked.” Malik replies.

“This isn’t good.” Yume says worriedly. “Even as a normal duel using holographic monsters you can feel the attacks. But when summoned properly, the Egyptian gods are real. Very real. And this is a Shadow Game too…”

“RYOU!” Tama screams.

Before anyone can jump forward to hold her back, Tama dashes into the duel and skids to a halt in front of ‘Ryou’ as Slifer’s attack comes straight for them.

“Please Ra, I don’t care what happens to me, just please let Ryou be alright. I promised him…” She whispers frantically, her eyes closed. “I can’t break that promise, please Amun Ra…” She chances opening her eyes and sees the attack still coming. Without a further word she turns around to face ‘Ryou’, putting her back to Slifer’s attack.

“HIKARI!” Yume screams before disappearing.

Time seems to slow down as the attack comes within feet of the two teens.

“You foolish girl!” Bakura growls.

“You may not be the Ryou I’ve sworn to protect,” Tama fiercely says. “But you’re a part of him!” She tightly shuts her eyes and tenses up, feeling the heat of Slifer’s attack and the blinding light.

The others not involved in the duel, and Yami and Yugi as well, watch fearfully as the mighty God monster’s attack slams into the two and… then is gone?

Tama lays unconscious on the ground in front of Bakura while the Tomb Robber looks down in disbelief of the brave (stupid in his opinion) young Light. In front of them, one hand outstretched in front of her, her dark violet eyes filled with anger, is Yume. Only something’s different now. The same thing that’s different about Tama now.

Both of them are decked in identical outfits like always, only this time it’s Yume’s outfit. The clothes they’re wearing consist of pure white wraparound skirts that fall nearly to their feet. The white tops have inch-wide golden straps which rest on the edge of their shoulders, giving an almost modern off-the-shoulders look. The tops actually stop a little above their belly buttons and the bottom has a golden inch-and-a-half wide piece for decoration that is very similar to the top-most straps.

Differences remain in the jewelry they wear (Yume wears a little more gold) and in their hair and eyes of course.

“Malik, Marik, you have more explaining to do.” Yume comments, wearily looking at Yami.

>-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o >-< o-O O-o

Shiro: There we go, another decent-length chapter. It's amazing! I'm actually keeping all the chapters about the same length for once!

Bast: Good for you, hikari.

Shiro: I discovered something.

Bast: Does it involve water in any way or form?

Shiro: (slightly weirded out) Nooo...

Bast: (relieved) Oh good. So, what did you discover.

Shiro: I don't remember. So, what's this about water?

Bast: (quickly) Nothing!

Shiro: (sighs) Bast, my dear yami, you really need to learn how to hide things. What did the other Darks and Keitaro do while I was gone this time?

Bast: Hikari, you really don't want to know. Trust me.

Shiro: (sighs) Oh, c'mon yami! It can't be that bad!

Bast: (mumbles) Yes it can...

Shiro: I can take it! C'mon yami!

Bast: (mumbles something incoherant)

Shiro: What? I didn't hear you.

Bast: (takes deep breath) WellyouseewhileyouweregoneMarikdecidedtoseewhatwouldhappenifhestuckahoseint othebasementwindowand-hegotBakuraandKeitaroandJoeyandMalikandKyletohelphima ndYumeandItriedtostopthemwereallydidbutyouknow-themthey'rebeyondwaytoostubb orn- (takes deep breath)andtheykindafloodedthebasement.

Shiro: (takes a minute to figure out what Bast said) THEY DID WHAT?!!!!!

Bast: (winces) Floodedthebasement.

Shiro: (twitches) They flooded my frickin' basement. Dude, that is so not cool. (flies off to find the boys) Oh boys...!

Bast: Well, she took that better than I thought. Review replies are below.

REVIEW REPLIES

Kaibafan5- (sighs) Looks like you're my only reviewer again... Oh well, at least I have one. =^-^=. I think I checked out your story and left a review. If I didn't, please tell me so that I can go and read it and leave a review. Hope you liked this chapter!