Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon of the Shadowed Light ❯ Chapter 7: Couch Issues ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: Well, I recieved my first flame. When I say first, I mean very first. I don't think I've been flamed in any of my other stories... Anyway, I'm a little PO'd about it.

Kaze: That's nice.

Bast: Who was it? I'll kill 'em!

Shiro: (sweatdrops) Hey Bast, when I said you needed to be slightly more protective I didn't mean Yami-protective.

Bast: (blinks) Oh, okay then. I'll be backstage, hikari! (jogs backstage)

Shiro: (yells after her) And I didn't mean Bakura-protective either!

Bast: It's not like I'm gonna kill you or nothin'! I'm just gonna be back here hanging with Kyle and Keitaro!

Shiro: (blinks) Kei-kun's back there? I thought he was out here. (shrugs) Oh well, Joey will you do the honors?

Joey: Huh? Oh yeah, sure. Shiro don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or any of us. She does own Tama, Yume, da Millennium Dragon, and da plot.

U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n

-)words(- Yugi, mind-link
-(words)- Tama, mind-link
-/words/- Malik, mind-link
-'words'- Ryou, mind-link

Chapter 7: Couch Issues

Wow, it’s been a while since I last wrote in this. I guess being reunited with half your family and your best friend does that to ya. I have to say it’s been a really interesting week and weekend. Joey’s- one of Yugi’s friends- is pretty cool. He’s really laid back about everything. He still doesn’t trust Malik or Marik though, even though we explained it was meant to be a joke but then the darkness residing in Malik broke free and separated him from Marik…

Bakura’s reaction- Bakura’s Ryou’s yami- was really funny when he heard this. He yelled something along the lines of, “You mean I almost died because of a stupid joke!” and then Yume said it’d be better if he had died. But that would mean Ryou would have died too, so she took it back.

Tea’s changed a lot, so she’s not all that much fun to hang out with anymore. Everything’s all clothes and friendship with her. (If I hear the word ‘friendship’ come from her mouth one more time I’ll… I’ll… do something violent.) Tristan Taylor is another one of Yugi’s friends. He’s alright, but I dunno… there’s something about him that bugs me I guess. Then there’s Duke Devlin, who’s okay. He tries to hard to get a girl’s attention though. He kinda reminds me of my brother, long hair and all. ((laughs)) But of course, there’s more differences between them. Joey Wheeler reminds me a lot of Damian; minus the major flirting. (Thank Ra!) Despite what some of the others say, I think he’s pretty smart. Sure, he’s not Einstein, but who is? I also had the privilege of meeting Joey’s younger sister, Serenity. She’s soo sweet. At times it’s hard to believe that they’re brother and sister. Their eyes are what shows that they are, and the way they treat one another. Gah, I remember too much detail. I mean, look! This entry’s the longest I’ve written for a long time and I have barely covered anything!

I need to finish this later ‘cause Yugi’s calling me. I will write this though: I hate that couch and grandpa can’t clean out the guest room because it’s his “storage room”.

My family is so screwed up. We’ve got one psychotic yami, one petty theif, one pharaoh, one partial psychic, one King of Games, one Dragon Guardian, one gameshop owner, one computer fanatic, one electronics fanatic, and me- who has yet to gain a title. (Little-Light doesn’t count!)

Yume’s threatening to summon the Shadows to get me downstairs now. Lol. Write more later.

-Tama-

“TAMASHIRA-”

“I’m coming, YUMERI!” Tama yells back, using her yami’s full name. She quickly grabs her journal and slips it into her book bag. Then she grabs her laptop and dashes down the stairs.

“What took you so long?” Yugi asks. “If we don’t leave now we’ll be late, you know.”

“I know, I know!” Tama replies. “I was writing in my journal.”

Yugi blinks. “You have a diary?”

Tama slips on her black boots and loosely ties the strings. “It’s a journal. Ryou gave it to me on my 12th birthday. Mine’s amethyst (1) and the one I gave to him for his birthday is emerald green.” She replies. “I sent Malik a blue one and you got the red one, remember?”

The two walk out of the Turtle Game Shop talking about the journals. When Joey joins them the conversation changes to a comic book/super hero discussion.

“Marvel is way better than Capcom!” Tama exclaims. “Look at all the way awesome Marvel characters! Spiderman, Wolverine Storm, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and the rest of the X-Men! The only really famous Capcom character us Superman!”

“Dat ain’t true!” Joey protests. “And Spiderman ain’t part of da X-men.”

“I know that! I didn’t want to continue rambling off the names of the rest of the X-men!”

“Really? Maybe ya should next time den.”

“Fine! Rouge, Gambit, Iceman, Shadowcat, Siren, Multiple-!”

“Okay, I get it!” Joey yells.

Tama and Joey are remarkably quiet after this conversation. Even when Tea and Tristan join up with them they don’t talk. This lasts all the way to school, which is when they finally turn to one another and at the same time say, “You win.” Then they crack up laughing.

This is the scene Malik, Ryou, and Duke walk up on.

“Well, we defiantly missed something good.” Duke says.

Tea steps away from the two. “Your not the only one, Duke. They haven’t said a word the entire way.”

Yugi sighs and mumbles, “You missed their big Marvel verses Capcom debate…”

Malik sighs as Joey and Tama calm down. “Hey Tama, you weren’t having an unannounced silence contest, were you?”

Tama nods. “Figures you’d get it right. We used to do that all the time with Ishizu.”

-RIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!-

The group bolts to homeroom (like they do every day) and barely make it in time (like always). The teacher then begins to lecture them on the importance of getting to class before the final bell rings. Everyone ignores her, of course, in favor of doing other constructive things. Like finishing the homework they were assigned the day before that’s due today.

Joey and Tristan are busily finishes up the homework they “forgot” about, Tea’s passing notes with some of the girls in the class, Duke’s looking over paperwork for his game, and Tama’s writing in her journal while “mind-chatting”, as the Lights now call it, with Yugi, Ryou, and Malik.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

--I never got around to writing about the other two yami’s. I mentioned Bakura, Ryou’s yami. He’s a little rough around the edges and I think he threatens Ryou a lot. That may explain the look in his eyes… Anyway, Yume doesn’t get along with Bakura at all. Something about them having a bad past.
You already know about Malik’s yami, Mariku, and my yami, Yumeri, but my other cousin has one as well. Ironically, Yugi’s yami’s name is Yami. (At least, that’s what we call him) Apparently he doesn’t remember much of his past and all Yume remembers about him is that they were cousins and he was the pharaoh.--

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

-)Hey Tama, we’re setting up the mind chat.(- Yugi says. -)Care to join us?(-

-(Of course not, Yugi.)- Tama replies.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

--I also was writing about the living room couch earlier. By Ra, I hate that couch. I haven’t talked to Yugi about it yet, but I’m thinking about moving into a small apartment. I figure I’ll get a small job as a waitress or see if grandpa will pay me if I work in the game shop. My poor back hurts so much. And don’t give me that look! Yume’s even complaining about it when she does take over.--

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

-/Hey Tama, what are we going to do after school?/- Malik asks.

-(Not one clue.)- Tama replies. -(Why? What are you boys plotting?)-

-'Yugi and Malik want to go bug Seto Kaiba by going to Kaiba Land to duel.'- Ryou tells her.

-)I do not!(- Yugi protests. -)It’s Yami who wants to go!(-

-/It wouldn’t have anything to do with trying to convince Kaiba of his past in Egypt, would it? Because there is no way he’s getting my Rod!/-

There’s silence in the link for a moment.

-(Dude, that sounded wrong.)- Tama informs her blonde cousin, using a word she picked up from Damian.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

--I guess that’s really all that’s happened. Malik hasn’t come up with any evil/insane plots to take over the world yet, so I haven’t gotten in trouble with Ishizu yet. (Thank Ra!)

Here’s my list of things to do:

I. Either get grandpa to clean out the guest room or find an apartment. (which leads to many other steps)

II. Help Joey understand our Geometry homework.

III. Think up a plot to take over the world with Malik.

IV. Try to get the yami’s to stop fighting.

V. Finish the program and somehow get it sent to bro.

Some of them are near impossible (like II and IV) but I’ll manage somehow.

-Tama- --

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

-/Okay, so it sounded wrong. But you all know what I’m talking about. At least, you had better!/- Malik says warningly.

-'Don’t worry, Malik. We know.'- Ryou tells him reassuringly.

-(Jeez Malik, you try to take over the world but can’t handle a little joke.)- Tama mentally mock-sighs. -(What am I going to do with you?)-

-/Nothing. Like always./-

Yugi giggles.

-/Yugi, the only other guy I know who giggles is Marik. Please don’t do that again./-

-(Malik, Marik does that insane-sounding high pitched giggling, which is not only disturbing, but it sounds nothing like Yugi’s.)-

-'Do I want to know?'-

-/(No!)/-

Yugi and Ryou sweat drop.

-)Tama, I’m pretty sure it’s insane-sounding because he is insane. No offense, Malik.(- Yugi says.

Malik shrugs. -/He’s not that bad. He never was, as I’ve explained many times./-

-(Sure, he’s a little psychotic-)-

-/Not helping./-

-(-but what yami isn’t?)- Tama continues, ignoring Malik’s glare. -(Yugi, I don’t want to hear anything from you. Even Yami is slightly psychotic.)-

This gets Malik’s attention. -/Ooo! Do tell!/-

Yugi groans and buries his face in his arm.

-'Tama, do you really want to get on Yami’s bad side?'-

-(Not really. I just like telling Malik all the odd things Yami does. It helps me with blackmail! Besides, how am I going to be the one in trouble if it’s Malik who tells Marik and Marik who eventually tells Bakura?)-

-'He’ll find someway to pin it on you.'-

-/Yeah, Ryou knows this from experience./- Malik says, before getting hit by a paper football.

-(In that case, I could care less.)- Tama replies nonchalantly, ignoring Malik. -(Wait ‘til you hear this one, Malik…)-

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

The Light’s conversation continues for the rest of homeroom. More than once one of them wound up cracking up, getting a glare from the teacher and odd looks from the other kids. Poor Yugi keeps his head buried in his arms for most of the time, but when Tama and Malik started sharing stories about the odd things their Darks have done he lifts his head up. Even Ryou told a couple of stories involving Bakura and household appliances.

Lunch comes quickly and the gang is soon once again sitting under the large oak tree. Strangely, Tama’s running late.

Tea looks around at everyone. “Hey Yugi, where’s Tama at?”

Yugi looks up from his sandwich. “She’s been having a little trouble getting around today and I think she got into another fight with the soda machine in the cafeteria.”

“But she’s usually here by now.” Ryou comments. “I hope she’s alright.”

Malik lazily stretches out under the tree, tossing a red apple up into the air before catching it. “She’ll be fine. Tama knows how to fight and Yume’s always with her.”

“What’s with da apple, Malik?” Joey asks, wearily eyeing the flying fruit.

Malik smirks at the other blonde. “I poisoned it this morning and I’m going to feed it to some poor, unsuspecting mortal. You want it, Joey?”

Joey pales and quickly shakes his head no.

“Oh?” Malik raises an eyebrow. “Alright then, guess I’ll eat it.”

The others, minus Yugi and Ryou (who are basically used to it by now), watch in confusion as Malik catches the apple and bites into it.

It’s at this time that Tama finally rejoins the group with her own apple and a bottle of Pepsi in hand. “Malik, are you teasing Joey again?”

“Nmm.” Malik replies with his mouth full of apple.

Tama sighs and rolls her eyes before stiffly sitting down between Yugi and Tea.

“Where were you, Tama?” Tea asks. “We were getting worried.”

Tama waves off the concern. “I was just talking to Seto, that’s all. Although how he found out about my little issue I have no idea…” She grumbles the last part.

“‘Issue’?” Yugi asks. “What issue, Tama?”

Tama takes a bite of her own apple and chews it before swallowing. “No offense, Yugi, but I can’t stand sleeping on the couch. My back has been so sore from sleeping on that thing that even Yume’s complaining. Yume almost never complains!”

“Hey Tama, if you can’t find a place to stay, Marik and I can talk to Ishizu about letting you stay with us.” Malik says, emphasizing the word ‘talk’.

Tama looks crossly at her blonde cousin. “Malik, you and Marik are not going to threaten Ishizu. Or bribe her.” She adds before Malik can say anything else. “I’m gonna rent a small apartment.”

“What?!” Almost everyone exclaims.

Tama calmly eats her apple.

“Man, I’d ask you to stay with me, but I don’t have any room.” Tea says sadly.

Tama shrugs. “Guys, it doesn’t matter. I’ve made up my mind so there’s no changing it. And Kaiba might possibly have a job for me, but I don’t know…” She doesn’t mention which Kaiba, and allows them to assume who it is.

“Kaiba!?”

“Tama, you don’ wanna work for moneybags,” Joey growls. “He’s a class A creep!”

“I wouldn’t be working with Seto. I’d be working with Mokuba since it was basically his idea.” Tama says. “And Joey, Seto’s not that bad.” She stiffly stands up. “I never said I’d take the job… Look, I’ll talk to you all later. See you.” She starts walking off.

Ryou jumps up as a though occurs to him. “Hey Tama, wait up!”

The tri-color haired girl pauses mid-step to wait up for him to catch up, which he does within seconds.

“I’ll never get them.” Tristan says. “When Tama first moved here she acted like she hated Ryou. Now they’re all buddy-buddy with one another.”

Duke shakes his head. “It’s pretty obvious that they knew each other before and had a disagreement or something.” Out of the corner of his eye he sees Malik tossing the apple, now with a bite taken out of it, up into the air again. “Malik, will you cut that out?!”

“You know,” Joey starts, ignoring the once again flying fruit. “Tama and Ryou make a good couple.”

The apple Malik was throwing into the air lands with a ‘thunk’ on Malik’s head as he glares at Joey.

“They do, don’t they.” Yugi acknowledges. “What do you think, Malik?”

Malik glares at the two of them and dusts off the apple. “I think no.” He says darkly, rolling over so his back is facing them. He soon begins angrily biting into the apple.

“Oh, come on, Malik. Ryou would never hurt Tama.” Yugi says. “And I think she really likes him which is defiantly a first.”

Ryou would hurt her.” Malik growls.

The others fall silent.

“Well,” Joey says after a moment of silence. “Dat’s a good point, Malik.”

-RRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!-

An d yet another lunch period ends, leaving the group rushing to the nearest trash bin and then to their next class. Joey practically runs to his class, in order to try and talk to Tama before class starts. Unfortunately for him, he got stopped by a teacher and got detention for running in the hall.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

After school is a loss for all of them. Joey and Malik both have detention and Tama and Ryou both disappeared before Yugi, Tea, Tristan and Duke could find them. So when Yugi walks into his living room he’s slightly surprised to see the two sitting on the couch together, laughing about something.

“Tama, where were you?” Yugi asks. “Me and the others were waiting for you.”

Tama, who had jumped at the sound of Yugi’s voice, takes her hand off of her heart. “Yugi, you scared me!” She brushes one of the blonde sections of her bangs out of her eyes. “I walked here with Ryou ‘cause he decided to help me out. And we wanted to talk a bit.”

“Well, Malik most likely won’t help.” Ryou reminds her. “Because, as you’ve said, he is rather overprotective of you. He’s worse than Kiba.”

“Wait a second!” Yugi exclaims. “Can you please explain what’s going on before you continue?”

Tama blinks in confusion before realizing she was rambling again. “Sorry Yugi. I guess I’m just a little hyper or something.

“I told you not to drink the rest of the Pepsi on the way over.” Ryou light-heartedly scolds.

Tama giggles and swings around so she’s hanging upside down on the couch. “I know, I know.”

Yugi walks over and sits on the couch beside Ryou. “You know, that doesn’t really answer my question.” He tiredly says.

“Oopsie! Well, ya see, Ryou’s got an extra room at his house and asked me to move in with him!” Tama happily chirps, peering under the couch. “Hey lookie! It’s the candy bar that Joey lost!” She grabs the candy bar and holds it up for the two boys to see. “Think he’ll be mad if I eat it?”

“Yes.” Ryou replies, taking the candy bar from her.

Tama pouts. “Oh, come on Ryou-kun.”

“You’ll thank me later.” Ryou says, ignoring her use of her and Malik’s recently perfected ‘hikari eyes’. (Which is about 2x stronger than puppy eyes, but unfortunately doesn’t work on fellow hikari’s.)

“Meanie.” Tama mumbles, laying back upside down to resume looking under the couch. “Ooo! A nickel!”

Ryou and Yugi both sweat drop.

“So you invited Tama to stay with you?” Yugi asks, wanting to confirm it with the white-haired boy.

Ryou shifts uneasily. “Yes, I have so much room at my house… my dad’s always gone…”

“Big, empty house, ne?” Yugi says. “As long as Tama’s happy.”

-THUNK-

Yugi and Ryou both look around for the source of the noise.

“Hey Ryou, where’d Tama go?” Yugi asks, glancing down at the floor where Tama was at.

Ryou looks down as well. “That’s odd, I didn’t even feel her get up.”

“She’s getting good at that.” Yugi says, frowning. “I think Yume’s been teaching her.”

A loud, sudden noise from of the rooms next to them makes Yugi and Ryou both wince. They then exchange bewildered glances when Tama dances into the living room singing along to the song.

“Dance with me, Ryou!” Tama happily chirps, pulling Ryou off the couch.

“Tama-!”

Yugi laughs as, for the next five minutes, Tama ropes Ryou into dancing before she bounces off to switch CD’s. Ryou quickly reclaims his seat beside Yugi before the hyperactive teen comes back.

“Great Scott…” Ryou breaths softly. “She’s worse than Malik when he gets ahold of too much sugar.”

Yugi nods in agreement, remembering an incident earlier that week involving Malik, his yami, and about a pound of sugar. “Are you sure that all she had was a bottle of Pepsi?” He asks.

“I’m not too sure about that.” Ryou replies. “When we got here Tama ran off to the kitchen to grab a snack.”

Yugi sighs. “Well, there’s only one thing to go when she gets like this.”

“What would that be, Yugi?”

“Call Tea up and hope she’s in the mood to dance.” Yugi replies, standing up.

Ryou sweat drops as Yugi walks across the room and picks up the phone. More sweat drops appear as Yugi presses a single button and then waits for the brunette girl to pick up.

“Hey Yugi?” Ryou asks.

“Yeah?”

“Why do you have Tea’s number on speed dial?” (2)

Yugi blinks. “Well, we’ve been friends since we were little kids. And anyways, it’s Tama’s fault we have it on speed dial.”

“Oh.” Ryou murmurs, glancing over to the doorway that Tama had disappeared behind. “Hey Yugi, can you ask Tea to hurry?”

Yugi almost laughs. “Don’t worry, I will.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Ry ou winds up leaving the Muto’s house by 10:13, turning down Yugi’s offer to sleep over. (Tama is passed out on the couch by this time.) Why did he stay there that long? Simply because he, Yugi, and Yami found watching Tea and Tama go at it for half the night funny. (Tea had brought over her DDR game and a bunch of CD’s, some of which sent Tama into a fit of giggles.)

There was one odd moment that night when Bakura had faded in beside Ryou to watch Yume attempt to dance. Ryou had simply brushed it off as Bakura gathering blackmail against the slightly younger spirit.

Ryou glances back at the game shop and smiles. ‘I’m glad Tama’s here. There’s just something about her…’ He shakes his head to clear his thoughts, shoves his hands into his pockets, and continues walking home, content for the first time in a long time.

U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n U-U n-n

(1) In the begining I know I said her journal was dark blue, but I decided to change it. Well, it's more like I forgot that it was dark blue and when it came time to choose between the two colors, I chose amethyst.

(2) I have no clue why I decided to comment on this but... can't you just imagine Ryou with a kawaii puzzled look on his face when he finds out Yugi has Tea's number on speed dial? (giggles) Strangely, I can.

----

Shiro: Well, this was an interesting chapter. Anyone wanna say what their favorite scene is? I'm attempting to take some of the spotlight off of Tama, but it's not working too well. After all, Tama/Ryou isn't the only pairing in this story.

Yugi: (eagerly) What are the other pairings, Shiro?

Shiro: (blinks) Er... you'll find out later, Yugi. (sniffs air) I smell donuts! (to readers) Later guys, review replies are below, and um... (blinks again) Peace, Love, and Donuts! (zooms off)

REVIEW REPLIES

Kaibafan5- (squeals) Plushies! (hugs the plushies) I love plushies! I'm pretty sure I remembered to put your story on story alert this time, if I didn't I'm going to kick myself. Thanks for reviewing!