Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon of the Shadowed Light ❯ Chapter 12: The Contest ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: (looks over chapter) Man, not much happens in this one...

Bast: Filler?

Shiro: (shrugs) Sort of. I put in another flashback for Yume. (pulls up large piece of cardboard) Here's this chapter's disclaimer and warning.

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. I do own Tama, Yume, the Chaotic Dragons, the plot, and any other OC's included in this story.
Warning: If you haven't figured it out by now, this story will contain a little shounen ai. Just small moments between Yami and Yugi which aren't crutial to the plot and are just there to make everything interesting. (bright smile)

D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-E-D--L-I-G-H-T-- D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-

Chapter 12: The Contest

Tama, Ryou, Yugi, and Mokuba look at Malik like he’s insane. Oh wait, he is insane.

“What do you mean you entered a contest?” Tama asks.

“I entered a contest, that’s all. It’s not a big deal, Tama.” Malik replies.

Summer has finally begun. The end-of-school party has come and gone already. Tea’s off to dance camp, Tristan has to work everyday, Duke has his game shop to run, Yugi’s been giving his grandfather a hand at the game shop, and Tama has been carrying out her duties as Mokuba’s assistant.

This leaves a bored Malik. And a bored Malik is just as bad as a bored Marik or a bored Bakura. So maybe it’s a good thing Malik has found a contest to do.

The same day… later

“Hey guy’s, you’ll neva’ believe it!” Joey yells, running into the small game shop where Tama and Yugi are at. “I found dis cool contest I’m gonna do! And da first prize is a month at a beach house! Ain’t dat cool?”

“A contest?” Yugi asks, arranging the last board game on the shelf before turning to face Tama. “Tama, get off the counter.”

Tama sighs and slips off the counter, her ponytails bouncing gently as she does so. “You’re no fun, Yugi.” She says before turning to face Joey. “I’m glad you found something to do, Joey.”

“Thanks Tama.” Joey says appreciatively. “I’m gonna go tell da otha’s now. Later.”

A thought hits Tama as soon as Joey walks out the door. “Hey Yugi, doesn’t that contest sound familiar?” She asks, hopping back up onto the counter.

Yugi shrugs and then hangs up a few boxes of playing cards. “I guess so. Why?”

Tama frowns. “I think it’s the same contest Malik is doing.”

“That’s not good.” Yugi says, turning around to face Tama once again. “I told you to get off the counter!”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Saturday- noon- Burger World

“So, remind me again why we’re holding our meeting at Burger World.” Tama says, setting down her menu.

“Yugi and Joey are hungry, remember.” Ryou says. “Malik doesn’t look too pleased to be here though…”

Tama looks over at her lilac-eyed cousin and is not surprised to see him alternating between glaring at the menu, glaring at Yugi, glaring at Joey, and glaring at the poor waitress.

“Malik, you don’t have to eat anything.” Tama comments.

Malik turns his glare onto Tama instead, who then sweat drops and says, “I’m not hungry anymore.”

Ryou sets his menu down on top of Tama’s. “Same here.”

Malik sits back, satisfied that he’s managed to convince two people not to eat anything.

The meeting continues- at a different location- without too many mishaps. The Light’s discussion today? ‘Things, people, and pets yami’s don’t get along with’.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

A young Yume looks around the desert, mentally cursing Mana. Recalling something the brunette told her, Yume sighs and sits down, waiting for her friend to find her.

A few minutes pass before Yume hears a faint cracking noise from beneath her. Startled, she jumps up, only to scream as the ground beneath her collapses, sending her falling to the ground. She yells out sharply as she lands, hard, on her left foot and hears a sharp ‘crack’. She collapses onto her knees, coughing from the dust around her. She tightly closes her eyes, waiting for the dust to clear.

A few minutes later Yume hesitantly opens her eyes and is shocked to find out she’s surrounded by darkness. Looking up, she sees no sign of the hole she fell through and wonders if this is all just a weird dream.

/././Guardian…/././

Yume jerks her head up at the sound of the voice and stares in surprise down the tunnel. She gasps when a serpentine dragon made entirely of light floats down the tunnel. Out of fright, she tries to back up but hisses in pain when she tries to move her left leg. Yume tightly shuts her eyes as the dragon gets closer.

When nothing happens she opens her eyes and gasps upon seeing the dragon curled around her leg. Startled she notices her left leg growing warm. A few seconds later the pain has ebbed away and the serpentine dragon fades away.

“W-what was that?” Yume nervously asks herself, jumping when her voice echoes around her,

/././Come, Guardian of the Dragons. Come to us./././

Yume staggers to her feet, heart pounding fiercely in her chest-

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

‘YUME WAKE UP!’ Tama yells worriedly.

/./What?/./ Yume irritably snaps/.

‘Bakura and Marik want to know if you want to go to the arcade with them.’ Tama replies calmly.

Yume casts a wave irritability mixed with disbelief and slight amusement over to her Light’s side of the link.

‘That’s a ‘no’ then, yami?’ Tama asks.

/./Yeah hikari, that’s a no././ Yume replies.

‘Sorry about waking you up.’ Tama apologizes. ‘You must have been having a good dream or something.’

Yume doesn’t reply.

‘Yume, are you alright?’

Yume hesitates before replying, hating even partially lying to her hikari. /./It’s nothing, Tama. Don’t worry././

‘If you say so… You sure you don’t want to kick Bakura and Marik’s asses at the arcade?’

/./Who else is going?/./

‘Yami, Joey, and Tea.’

/./And if I don’t go what are you going to do?/./

‘I’ve got to go there to meet Mokuba anyway. Seto’s got some new big plan to dethrone Yami.’

/./Another one?/./

‘Apparently so.’

/./You go ahead and have your meeting with Mokuba. I’m too tired to face the idiot duo././

‘That’s not very nice.’

/./What they don’t know, can’t hurt them. ‘night hikari././

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I cannot believe you killed the fucking machine.” Tama states, glaring at Bakura and Marik.

Bakura manages to maintain a careless look, while Marik opts for the unconvincing (only to the Lights and Darks) innocent.

“Ishizu’s going to be pissed off at you two you know that?” Tama continues. “I’m even mad at you. That’s my, Joey, and Mokuba’s favorite game!”

“So?” Marik says.

Tama glares at him and whacks the blonde in the head with her folder.

Marik winces and rubs the spot where he was hit.

“You deserved that.” Tama says before Marik can say anything. “And I am aware that Malik will feel that as soon as you give him control back, and that’s why I didn’t hit you harder.”

“Little-Light isn’t happy.” Marik comments.

“No shit…” Tama grumbles.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Ishizu looks disapprovingly at Bakura and Marik. “You blew up a game machine.” She faintly says. “I just have one question- Why?”

“I lost.” Marik replies. “The game beat me and Bakura.”

Ishizu sighs. “Do either of you have any idea how much one of those cost? We don’t have that kind of money!”

“Mokuba said he’d handle it.” Tama says, pausing by the door. “And I’m handling part of it too. I’ve already sent a letter to my dad.”

“Uncle Kojiro?” Ishizu asks. “But why?”

Tama shrugs. “Well, it isn’t really fair if Mokuba and Seto have to pay for it all. They’re not related to either of them. Carry on lecturing them, it hasn’t sunk in yet.” She says before continuing past the door.

Ishizu sighs once again and turns to face the two Darks only to discover they have switched places with their Lights.

“What did he do this time?” Ryou tiredly asks.

“What did they do this time?” Malik amends.

“They blew up a game machine.” Ishizu tells them, frowning. “Marik said it was because the game beat them.

Malik raises an eyebrow. “‘The game beat them’.” He repeats. “Well, what was the game?” He asks, expecting it to be one of the most challenging games in there.

“Whack-a-mole.” Ishizu replies.

(Malik: O-O) (Ryou: U-U;)

D-R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-E-D--L-I-G-H-T--D -R-A-G-O-N--O-F--T-H-E--S-H-A-D-O-W-

Kitsune: Whack-a-mole, huh?

Shiro: Yup.

Kitsune: Why that particular game?

Shiro: My friend's influence. He told me about this dream he once had and he was playing a giant version of whack-a-mole in it.

Kitsune: (sweatdrops) That's... weird.

Shiro: (nods) I know. Only he would have a dream like that.

Q&A
Q
: What was wrong with Mokuba?
A: Simple really; Seto yelled at him. Why? I have no idea. That was the best idea I had at the time. Let's blame the really on Seto overworking himself. That works...