Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon's Blood ❯ A Beaken of Hope ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Beautiful darkness…luscious darkness. Your hands…why…they are as cold as winter's death yet it feels like the breath of a burning soul. Your eyes are closed, yet it seems as if it were eternity since you saw light. Your lips, they are no longer as smooth as satin. No…they are pursed together in a desperate attempt to hide the pain. Darkness…your hands are so cold, and your skin has frozen inside a fantasy of complete nothingness. Your body is so frail now…and your soul is no longer living. Your soul is sleeping…sleeping forever…never to awaken again. Yet for some reason…you are still awake even though the gods had taken away your strength to open your crimson eyes. Are you in pain, my darkness? Are you lonely? Do not despair my love…you are not alone. You are mine…nothing will tear us apart. Do not wince at the spears of pain that continue to pierce your flesh. Rest your petty soul and gently lay your worries aside. Relax and take all the pain away. You won't feel anything…I promise you. Continue to rest in my arms and I promise you my love, I will protect you…
 
A devastated graveyard…an eerie scene. The world, it seemed, had punished this place for a wrong that was far greater than sin. But what?
 
Professor Dumbledore was standing at the very edge of the iron bars of gates' only comfort. The ground was not tainted with soil but ashes. Indeed…ashes were scattered upon the cemetery of dead soil where nothing but cruel judgment had been passed. The air was fresh with the scent of death and a strange aura unfamiliar to the headmaster. This aura...it was flooded with darkness…such immense power of humanity's sins. With his half-moon speckled glass, Dumbledore waited patiently for his companion to follow suit. His amethyst robe glistened in all that was left of the moon's shining light that had peeked through the clouds. Staring at the dead tree that cast a shadow over him, Dumbledore looked towards the remains of the moon.
 
“How strange,” Dumbledore pondered.
 
“What is it?” From the streets of the wizarding world came a woman with an emerald cloak embroidered with the hairs of a cat's fur dipped in satin. Her hands were pale because of the freezing temperature in the area, but it still showed signs of warmth. Brown mixed with amber was tied in a bun and wrinkles around the withered skin on the face could not be seen completely in the shadows. Her tipped hat swayed with the wind as she quickly caught up with Professor Dumbledore. Stopping hastily next to the headmaster, light brown eyes hidden behind small square glasses stared at the disaster that had befallen a sinful graveyard.
 
“What has happened here Albus?” Professor McGonagall demanded, “What could have done this?”
 
“I am unsure myself, Minerva,” Dumbledore replied, not turning towards the Animagus, “Strange.”
 
“What is?” Professor McGonagall asked. Looking towards the sky, she watched curiously into the sky as dark clouds of broken ash laid abyss into the night. “There is no moonlight…”
 
“Precisely,” Dumbledore responded, “It seems that the moon has been shrouded by a cloud of the dead's ashes. This can only mean one thing. Someone has awoken an ancient ritual that hasn't been performed for centuries, using the dead to resurrect the living.” Professor McGonagall stared wide eyed at Dumbledore.
 
“How do you know of such things?” she questioned. Dumbledore did not turn to her.
 
“I will explain later…” Dumbledore replied in his soft voice, “For now…we must investigate what has happened in this cemetery.”
 
“I still cannot believe it though,” Professor McGonagall muttered, “It's a full moon tonight. Remus couldn't come with us because he is a werewolf. But even these clouds could prevent him from converting into that creature.” Dumbledore nodded. It wasn't like nature to shroud the moon in the shadows.
 
Professor McGonagall took a whiff of the air and covered her nose. “Goodness gracious! There is blood in that cemetery.”
 
Dumbledore turned to Professor McGonagall at least with his cerulean blue eyes. “We had better hurry then,” Dumbledore motioned, “We can't stand out here for long.” With enough said, Dumbledore and Minerva creaked open the rusting gate and entered into the abyss.
 
 
Lavender orbs fluttered open in confusion. Pale cheeks lay still against a cold ashen ground. Hair of red and black swayed in the open darkness and hands were searching for a rush of blood. Leather black shirts and pants had camouflaged in the shadows and a blue jacket was covering a frail body of a resurrecting conscience.
 
“Where am I?”
 
Slowly trying to sit up, Yugi looked around with hazed eyes. Swirls of nothing but dark gray colors were all that the teenager could see. The wind brushed against the little one's face, sliding grains of ash into Yugi's hands. Suddenly, a shearing pain shot into Yugi's head. Crying in pain, he held his head tightly and hid his face in the dirt. It hurts so bad…why does it hurt so much? Make it stop! Please make it stop!
 
The pain was subsiding a little, just enough for him to regain control of his body. Still leaving one hand over his temple, Yugi used his right hand to balance himself enough to sit up right. His vision seemed alright now and unfortunately, all of his other senses were as well.
 
Covering his nose, Yugi winced at the smell and pain that he was feeling.
 
“What the hell…” Yugi muttered, “What is that smell? It's so atrocious!” Peeking out of one eyelid, Yugi's vision came to focus.
 
It seemed that he was in a deserted place, dirt and all. However, there were many crumbled pieces of rock scattered everywhere. Dead tree limbs lied wherever there was any space possible. Yugi noticed that he was surrounded by shards of broken glass pieces. All were tainted with black and a strange odor was emitting from them. Strange…there was cloth everywhere too…little shreds spread upon this barren wasteland. It was too dark to see what color they were though. Damn it…why was it so dark. Isn't the moon supposed to be out tonight?
 
Dust was carelessly picked up by the wind, spreading even more ashes into Yugi's face. Yugi shook his head rapidly to at least remove the dirt out of his eyes. Pressing harder on the ground, Yugi noticed something. The surface…it was damp. Curiously, he slowly picked his hand up and turned it over to his palm. A sniffed the scent he was picking up and quickly dropped the soil as if it were a venomous snake.
 
HOLY SHIT! It was blood! And it was the same smell that was surrounding the entire area. This could only mean one thing…he was in the middle of a massacre.
 
“Those pieces of cloth must have belonged to people that were killed then,” Yugi said to himself, “Damn it! I have to get out of here somehow. This place is giving me the creeps.” Yugi thought back to the last thing that he remembered before he blacked out…
 
“Ok…I was with Joey and the others. We were walking down towards my grandpa's shop. Then…something was pulling at me…something so cold and lifeless. I heard someone calling out to me…and then…” Yugi's head shot straight up in shock and realization.
 
“OH MY GOD! Yami!” Yugi exclaimed, “Because of all this confusion…I had completely forgotten about him! I have to find him! I hope he's ok.” Putting his hand against his chest, he felt a soft metal under his fingers. It was very slim and as cold as ice…but it was still all the same what he was looking for.
 
“Good,” Yugi thought to himself, “The millennium puzzle is still here with me. All I have to do is call out to the spirit and see where he is…” Concentrating, Yugi searched through his mind looking for the pharaoh, looking through all the doors in his soul room and even Yami's. Nothing turned up.
 
Yugi sighed in dissatisfaction. “There is no way that I will find him in there,” Yugi analyzed, “I've looked everywhere in my soul room and it will take forever to look in that labyrinth inside the puzzle. I'll just have to go searching for him out here. Maybe we got separated when we arrived.” Breathing in defeat, Yugi tried to stand up. His knees gave in however, and he slipped back towards the ground using both of his hands to soften his fall.
 
“No good,” Yugi thought, “I don't even have the strength to get up. Damn it!” Yugi punched his fist into the already soaked ground. “I sure could use my friends right about now.” Pushing his fist away from the ground, Yugi felt something brush against the back of his hand.
 
“That's odd…I don't remember there being anything here before.” Yugi continued moving his hand against the surface of this _thing_ that was right next to him until he felt something smooth and frigid under his palm. Turning towards the darkness, he gazed upon the being that was lying before him…
 
Yami
 
He looked different from before however. His hair was still the same, but his skin was so pale that anyone would think it was white. He was wearing a black leather shirt and pants with a belt that wrapped two times around his waist. His clothes were torn however, mostly in the back of the shirt and a few holes on the legs of his pants, though these holes were quite large. His bracelets of gold were scratched in most areas, and his shoes were damped with soil and dust. Yami was just laying there like a dead animal. His right temple had blood trickling down the side of his cheek and even more blood was seen covering his already sullied leather clothing. His arms were covered with lines of blood. His wounds looked fresh…making Yugi even more anxious.
 
“Yami?” Yugi called softly. Brushing his fingers carefully along his golden bangs, Yugi tried to comfort the fallen spirit and hopefully wake him up.
 
Crimson eyes opened slowly, hazed over with no signs of consciousness in them. Yugi immediately withdrew his hand when he saw Yami trying to disperse from the ground. Blood slowly trickled down where the wounds were open as the former pharaoh sat up slowly. Suddenly, Yugi noticed shadows of something revealing itself while Yami was sitting up. Oh my god! They were wings! Dragon wings to be exact. They were revealing themselves slowly, stooping over as much as the bones would allow them to go. Yugi looked down and noticed that Yami had a tail too, long with a sharp object at the end. Taking note not to touch the blades that were so close to Yugi's knee, the teen moved closer to Yami to see how wounded he was.
 
Yugi looked into Yami's eyes from the side and saw that he wasn't even looking at him but into the abyss of the massacre, facing the same way as Yugi. It was as if Yami didn't even see his hikari. His eyes…they didn't have the gleam that they once possessed. They were more blank and tired. His spirit didn't even smile. What was wrong with him?
 
“Yami? Are you ok?” Yugi asked worriedly. Yami turned slowly towards Yugi without saying a word or moving any of his body. Only his neck made any motion. A shiver went down Yugi's spine when Yami gazed at him. That pained look…no memories…no feelings…a sense of loneliness…it was making Yugi's breath escape him. The teen noticed that Yami's neck was bleeding as well. There was a large gash right where his throat was.
 
“Yami…you're really hurt,” Yugi choked, “You should get some rest.” It didn't seem Yami was listening. He only stared at his hikari with blank eyes…never blinking for a second. Something was wrong…very wrong. Yami would never be silent to him nor would he not listen to what he said.
 
“Can you not speak?” Yami was still staring…immobile like a statue. Yugi sighed. This wasn't going to work. If Yami was able to say something…he would have said anything by now. Why was his Yami acting this way, and why wasn't he showing any emotion? He has never done that before. And where did he get all of his wounds? Is it possible that he was in a fight recently? No…that couldn't be right. Yugi would have felt if his Yami was feeling angry. Well…he was unconscious and Yami might have been protecting him while he was blacked out. That has to be it…there was no other explanation.
 
“Listen Yami,” Yugi spoke, “I'm really worried about you. You haven't said a word and you are covered in wounds. Maybe you should lay back down and rest for a little while.” Yami didn't move and it didn't look like he cared. Yugi was getting frustrated now. The pharaoh knew better than this. Sure he would try to explain to Yugi that he needed to protect him, but this was ridiculous.
 
“I'm serious Yami,” Yugi implied, “You're too injured and I can't risk you getting hurt anymore. Please, just this once, try to get some rest?” Yugi's jawed open a little when he saw Yami nod his head slowly. The spirit slowly laid his head on Yugi's shoulder, eyes still unmoving and half open. Sighing in relief, Yugi gently placed Yami's head on his lap and caressed his cheek gently. Yami's eyes grew heavier and slowly closed. Yugi looked worriedly at his protector.
 
“What's going on?”
 
 
Professor Dumbledore was gently walking with Minerva by his side. Disgusted by all the bones they had to cross, Professor McGonagall was continuously scowling at all that shattered pieces of tomb stone and rubble.
 
“I can't believe what a dump this place is,” Professor McGonagall complained.
 
“There there now, Minerva,” Dumbledore responded, “I can assure you that it was in much better shape than it was tonight.”
 
“What do you mean by that professor?”
 
“As you might already know, this graveyard is where all wizards who have been sent to Azkaban have been laid to rest despite the prison's disapproval. Even the dead need guidance from their prison cells. Ever since this cemetery was built, no one has had the liberty of honoring the dead here nor have they ever set foot in this place. It wasn't worth their time visiting prisoners who have committed such terrible crimes.”
 
“Are you saying that no one has been on these grounds for centuries?”
 
“Ah, Minerva…at least until tonight.”
 
Professor McGonagall looked worriedly at Dumbledore. “You're not saying that You-Know-Who may have came here do you?”
 
“This is a hidden cemetery, Minerva,” Dumbledore replied softy, “You can only visit this place by using a special port key that only the ministry has. If you truly wanted to visit this particular cemetery, then you would have to ask permission from the ministry to have access. It's the ideal place for the spirits of the death eaters to roam and the least expected place for Voldemort to visit…wouldn't you agree professor?”
 
McGonagall nodded in reply. “It makes sense now. The ministry is secured tightly. No one would be able to enter. But I still don't know what you were talking about back there at the entrance.”
 
“All will be explained. If my theory is correct, then we should find what we are looking for here in this cemetery.”
 
“What could you possibly be implying?”
 
“Why don't you look over in the distance over there, Professor…?”
 
 
Yugi's eyes were beginning to lose focus again. Shaking his head, he tried to stay awake. It was difficult however. The moon still showed no signs of returning and the ground was growing softer under his fingertips for some odd reason. The graveyard was not a threat to the teen anymore…at least not yet. It got a little getting used to, but even the shadow realm was creepier than this place. Fighting a lot of duel monsters in mystic realm that would steal your soul if you lose will do that. Yugi yawned and would have stretched out his arms if he even had the strength to.
 
Yugi looked down and saw that Yami was still asleep. He seemed to have more life in him now than he did before. Maybe all he needed was someone there to comfort him. Stroking Yami's bangs, Yugi noticed that the dragon wings, claws, and tail were gone. Maybe it was just his imagination that was playing tricks on him after all.
 
Yugi smile faded when he thought about what to do after his Yami woke up. He knew that there was no way that Yugi would be able to move around since he was drained of his strength. He definitely couldn't risk Yami to be moved in his condition. It seemed that it would take a spawning miracle to have him get out of this mess, and no one would possibly want to come visit this place.
 
“Hmmm,” Yugi thought allowed, “Stranded in a cemetery with no food, water or any idea how I got here and having supposedly having someone rescue me place full of dead bodies. Not very good odds…” Sighing, Yugi knew this to be true. There was no way that anyone was out here, not in a place like this. The smell of blood would be just enough to drive them away from this place. The only thing that could possibly be here were rats and crows.
 
Yugi felt something moving under his and saw to his surprise that Yami was stirring again. He was lifting his head up quickly, opening his still hazed eyes as if something had just awakened him. Feeling that maybe his voice was too loud for the spirit to sleep, Yugi tried to have Yami relax again.
 
“Yami!” the teen pleaded, “You are still too weak to be moving yet! Just worry about healing your wounds and let me handle this.” Yami wasn't listening. Instead, he was facing in the north direction where Yugi was positioned. He gave a low growl which Yugi could have sworn sounded like a lion's. Confused by what was making his darkness so angry, he looked in the direction the spirit was “trying” to scare away. Squinting, Yugi saw something moving in the shadows and slowly they came to focus.
 
There were two people walking towards them. One was a very old man with such long silver hair and beard that just wasn't normal for an elder to have. His azure eyes were hidden behind half-moon spectacles and his face had a long crooked nose with wrinkles mostly around his eyes. He was dressed in a violet cloak that matched the lavender eyes Yugi had. By his side was a woman with small rectangle glasses and brunette hair tied in a bun. She seemed to be wearing a green pointed hat and an emerald cloak to match. Her stern face with amber brown eyes staring at the teen made Yugi back away a little.
 
“Wow…” Yugi whispered, “What great odds. Man…god must be really kind to me today.” Looking at his Yami, Yugi shuttered when Yami was bearing what looked like fangs. They seemed to be growing “longer.” His fingernails were turning into claws that were also growing in size. Shaking his head and ignoring what he saw, Yugi embraced his darkness and tried to comfort his darkness.
 
“It's ok, Yami,” Yugi implied, “They are just two people. They aren't going to hurt us, alright?” Stroking Yami's hair swiftly, they seemed to have made some progress. Yami had stopped growling at them and he had calmed down a little. However, the feeling was mutual and the pharaoh still glared at the two strangers. Yugi looked up and saw that the two strangers in cloaks were already at his feet and bending down to eye-length.
 
“Good evening, young one,” the old man greeted.
 
“Ummm…hello?” Yugi responded in a more questionable statement.
 
“I am Professor Albus Dumbledore and this is Professor Minerva McGonagall.”
 
“Good evening…” McGonagall added.
 
“Eh?” Yugi sulked a little. Great…out of all of the people to rescue him, they had to be teachers. Was he ever going to get out of anything that had to do with school? I mean come on! He is in the middle of no where and there are teachers roaming around like grave robbers. However, they were speaking in a different language than what he was usually used too. Good thing Yugi had taken an English class this year. Hesitating, Yugi introduced himself.
 
“Konichiwa. My name is Yugi and this is Yami.” Professor McGonagall hesitated when she saw the other male glaring at both her and the headmaster. There was a strange aura that was so dark that no words could possibly describe it. Hesitantly, she whispered to Professor Dumbledore.
 
“These two youths are strange indeed,” Professor McGonagall began, “Look at how they are dressed and the way they look. They cannot possibly be from this world, Albus.”
 
“Patience, Minerva,” Dumbledore replied softly, “I am sure that they mean no harm. Despite what they look, they are nothing more than innocent people.”
 
“But look at the youth lying beside the young one,” Minerva pointed out, “He has blood red eyes just like you-know-who.”
 
“I have noticed, Minerva,” Albus replied, “But let's not jump to conclusions just yet.” Yugi was puzzled by the conversation going on between the two. Shaking his head, he waited until they were finished.
 
“Forgive me for the long wait,” Dumbledore apologized.
 
“It's ok. I usually wait longer in lunch lines anyway,” Yugi replied innocently. Dumbledore smiled.
 
“Hmmm…you speak your language very well I see.”
 
“Well…I was taking English this semester,” Yugi said, rubbing the back of his head. Dumbledore smiled when he heard a faint “again” mouthed by the youth.
 
“You aren't from around here, are you?” McGonagall interrupted. Yugi shook his head.
 
“No, I'm not. I come from Domino City in Japan,” Yugi replied, “I don't know where I am or what has happened. I don't suppose you two would know.” Dumbledore looked from the boy to Minerva. To his pleasure, Minerva nodded in agreement and he turned towards Yugi again.
 
“You are in an abandoned cemetery in London,” Dumbledore answered, “I see that you and your friend are quite injured.” Yugi nodded and looked at the spirit. There was still no sign of any emotion in Yami that Yugi could see at the moment. Dumbledore was right. Yugi's left temple was bleeding and Yami had far worse injuries than he did. Worried about Yami's condition, Yugi just had to ask these strangers the question…
 
“I don't know what's wrong with Yami,” Yugi began, “I've tried to have him snap out of it many time and make him rest for a while. But no matter what, he just doesn't seem to listen to me. He doesn't answer back when I have a question.” Dumbledore looked closely at those crimson eyes. A sudden chill slithered down his spine and his fears were realized. However, the headmaster only smiled and turned towards Yugi.
 
“Your friend's injuries have deprived him of consciousness,” Dumbledore implied, “He seems awake, yet he is asleep. All your friend will need is a place to rest and a warm place to sleep.” Yugi sighed in relief that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with him, such as his mind being controlled or his soul shattered. They were just injuries. Looking up, he saw Professor McGonagall, who had been completely forgotten, hovering over Professor Dumbledore.
 
“Professor,” McGonagall called, “It is getting late. We should head back to Grimmauld Place and alert the members of the Order about our new guests.” Yugi was confused.
 
“New guests?” Yugi asked. Minerva sighed.
 
“You two will be staying at Grimmauld Place with the Order for the time being,” Professor McGonagall began, “It is too dangerous for you and your friend to stay here with such injuries. Professor Dumbledore, should we send the other youth to St. Mungo's?” Yugi eyes widened.
 
“You can't separate us! You just can't!” Yugi panicked, “I don't know what I would do without Yami! He's the only I have left right now and he is always been very protective of me! PLEASE DON'T TAKE HIM AWAY!” Dumbledore silenced Yugi with a hand.
 
“Do not worry, Yugi,” Dumbledore said softly, “If you do not wish for you and your friend to be separated, then we shall have to take him with us. Minerva?” The headmaster turned to Professor McGonagall, who had been shocked by the response of the younger child.
 
“Yes, professor?” McGonagall replied.
 
“Send an owl to the Order to bring 3 thestrals here to cemetery entrance. Tell them we have two injured people that need medical attention immediately.”
 
“Yes, Professor Dumbledore,” McGonagall replied. Soon, she disappeared into the shadows. The headmaster smiled at Yugi and sat by him and his Yami.
 
“All we have to do now is wait and hope that your friend pulls through for us until then.”
 
“Yeah, you can count on it,” Yugi replied. With that, he stroked Yami's neck and easily made the pharaoh lay to rest once more.