Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ The Hyper Kid ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 11

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Also, Alexander (who will be introduced in this chapter) belongs to the Peach half of PeachPonta from ff.net. He gave me permission to "borrow" his character!

There was definitely a change in the von Schroeder household after we returned. Frau and Herr von Schroeder had appeared to have reached some kind of truce. Unfortunately, that truce involved them ignoring each other as much as possible. I was almost missing the fighting. Then, at least, the house wasn't always dead quiet.

Also while we were away, Herr von Schroeder had decided that Zigfried should start being trained to run the company. Now I didn't know much about business, but nine seemed a bit too young to start business classes! But of course I couldn't say anything about it. According to Herr von Schroeder, women were creatures who were too delicate and too stupid to focus on anything but staying in the home.

This actually explained a lot, like why Frau von Schroeder acted so vapid all the time. Maybe she was actually a very intelligent person..."or maybe not", I thought as she whined about how the latest shipment of designer handbags was six hours late.

By his third birthday, Leon could read just about anything. He would get so absorbed in his reading that he would ignore everything else happening around him. In fact, after many frustrating months, I found that the only way to potty-train Leon was to move all of his favorite books into the bathroom. Of course, he would then just stay in the bathroom for hours, not moving until I made him move. It was a good thing that there were two bathrooms in the apartment!

----------------------------------------

March 1993

It was a normal day at the von Schroeder estate. Herr von Schroeder was working and Frau von Schroeder was at some expensive spa for the day. Zigfried was at school. Leon was reading. I was dusting the furniture. The servants were doing assorted tasks. Finally, Gesina was preparing a large alcoholic drink for Herr von Schroeder. He had asked for one even though it was 10 am. I mean, could that guy get more blatantly obvious about being an alcoholic?

However, the day soon turned out to be quite unusual. At about lunchtime, Gesina burst into our apartment. She was breathing heavily from the long distance she had had to run. "You're going to have company," she finally managed to gasp out.

Naturally, I was confused. Gesina and Zigfried were the only company Leon and I ever had. I asked her to clarify. When Gesina caught her breath, she explained that Herr von Schroeder's brother was coming to visit. He would be bringing his British wife and their son, who was a few months older than Leon. "They won't want children underfoot, so they'll be sleeping here, if that's fine with you. If it isn't I can find another place..." she trailed off.

I was quick to reassure her that of course it was fine with me. I actually wasn't too sure about that, but I didn't want to give Gesina any extra work. Besides, it would be nice for Leon to have someone his age to play with.

As soon as Gesina left, I ran into Leon's room, shouting that we would have company today, and he would have to be nice to them, and he would have to share his room with someone, and please take a break from your reading and eat something! That's right. He didn't even stop his reading to eat.

-------------------------------------

Several hours later, the guests arrived. Apparently, Herr von Schroeder had sobered up enough to give them a proper greeting. I was just waiting until the little boy would arrive at our "place". I didn't have to wait long. Soon, I heard little footsteps running down the hall.

Our door opened. Gesina was standing there with the aforementioned kid. The first thing I noticed about him was that he had a much darker complexion than either Zigfried or Leon. With his dark hair and light-olive complexion, he looked more Greek than German. Maybe Herr von Schroeder's brother had inherited some genes from the more Mediterranean people who were appearing more and more in all parts of Germany.

Gesina said that the boy's name was Alexander. Apparently, his mother had insisted on an English name.

As soon as Gesina left, I found out the hard way that Alexander was completely different from Leon. To say he was hyper would be putting it lightly. The first thing he did was repeatedly poke Leon, who was reading as usual. As he explained it, he wanted to see if Leon was a human or a statue. Really, I couldn't blame him!

"This will be a long couple of days," I thought as I told Alexander that countertops were not mountains to be explored.