Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Interlude 5: Babysitting Duty ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Shiro: I have decided to forego the Christmas and Yule interlude this year, for the mere excuse of me not knowing what to write. (and I suppose re-reading Eragon and Eldest in the course of a week doesn’t help much.) So instead I give you this cute little idea I thought of while trying to write the Christmas and Yule interlude. Maybe next year I’ll have a one-shot for you all. I'm sorry everyone!

Gentle breezes!

Interlude 5: Babysitting Duty

There have been few times that Damian has gotten himself landed on babysitting duty by his wife and old friends, and the times he does get to baby-sit he enjoys. What could be more fun than watching your daughter and “nieces” and “nephews”?

June 7th, 2024 is one of those days.

Ryuuji and Shizuka Otogi have flown over to Virginia with their son Kevin, who is 8-years-old. Meanwhile, Damian and Riley have flown down to Virginia with their daughter Ebony, who is 4-years-old. They’ll be staying at the Phoenix-Ishtar Lake House with Liam, Anzu, Ashling, Malik, and their children.

And then the adults, with the exception of Damian who’s busy cooing over how cute year-old Neil Phoenix, Anzu and Liam’s youngest, has gotten, begin planning a night out to go hang out at a local bar that rarely sees any trouble. Damian, of course, gets unanimously voted to baby-sit the children, something he happily accepts.

Of course, that’s also how he ended up with a pair of bored 11-year-old twins, a questioning 8-year-old girl, an overly curious red-haired 8-year-old, a sleeping 1-year-old, a hyperactive 5-year-old and an overly dramatic 4-year-old. In other words, Zahur and Kian and Ophelia Ishtar, Kevin Otogi, Neil and Yasuo Phoenix, and Ebony Mizu. (in that order)

“Uncle Dami’,” Ophelia crawls onto the couch beside her favorite uncle. “momma said that you grew up around here. Is that true?”

“Sure is.” Damian says cheerfully. “I moved here when I was about nine-years-old and lived out on a dirt road for about three years or so.”

“Oh.” Ophelia falls silent for a minute and Damian takes a moment to scan the room to make sure all of the children, with the exception of Neil who is sleeping in his crib, are still in the room. He sighs in relief when he finds them all still in the room, although Yasuo and Ebony seem to be plotting over in their corner. Or something like that.

“Uncle Dami, can you tell me a story?” Ophelia asks, turning her baby blue eyes onto him. “Pretty please?”

Damian nods. “Of course. Who wants to hear a story?” He asks the others.

Zahur and Kian look up for a moment, both of them thinking about it, and then look back down to their domino’s. Kevin looks interested though, and abandons his domino’s in favor of climbing up onto the couch beside Ophelia, who, despite the long distance between them, is his best friend. Yasuo and Ebony glance up for a moment and Ebony says, “We’re playin’ house.” And then they go back to their game.

“Alright, here it goes.” Damian says. “I’m going to tell you a true story. It’s something that happened to me when I was about your two’s age and living on that dirt road. You see, there was this one yard that nobody dared to go near because of how strange it was and because of all of the cats that guarded the driveway…”

Damian’s tale of the elderly woman and her cats weaves a spell about the room, drawing in all of the kids. By the end of the story when he tells of how the woman disappeared along with all of her cats and how there was no sign of her ever even being there.

“Wow.” Ophelia whispers, truly enraptured by the tale. “What was her name, uncle?”

Damian hesitates a moment, his eyes flickering between Ophelia and Kevin, an expression of surprise and realization flickering across his face. Finally he says, “That’s a tale for another time. However,” He holds up a hand when the two 8-year-olds look to protest. “I will tell you this: Ashling told me that if she were to ever have a daughter she would name her daughter after the old woman.”

“Did momma know her too?” Zahur asks.

Damian shakes his head. “No. I told her the story back on Halloween one year and she fell in love with the name.”

Ophelia’s eyes widen. “Its my name. Her name was Ophelia, wasn’t it? And she had an uncle Damian just like I do! That’s so cool!” She giggles. “I wish I could meet her.”

Damian smiles softly. ‘If only you knew, dear Ophelia. You already know her.’ “Well, the woman I knew is long gone now. Now, I’ve told you a story so how about you two go play.”

“Mm’kay.” Ophelia says cheerfully. “Come on, Kevin! Lets go find Kibbles and L’il Bit and play with them!”

As the two children run out of the room to go find the two sibling tabby cats, Damian casts his eyes to the ceiling. ‘It seems everything runs in circles and dabbles in magic around me. To think, I’ve known the woman who became my role model when I was a child I have known now for eight years.’ A small smile plays across his face. ‘Ophelia Hathor Otogi, huh? It certainly fits.’ He lowers his eyes and stands up to go make sure Ophelia and Kevin haven’t gotten into too much trouble and to find Yasuo and Ebony, who have wandered from the room. ‘I look forward to see how this plays out later. But for now all I can do is encourage their friendship.’

Strange how things turn out, isn’t it?