Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ Pain ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1 - Pain

Pain. That was what Téa woke up to. Pain. God, it hurt to move.

She opened her eyes slowly, wondering if this was what it was like to die. Black. That's all she was met with. Black.

Was she blind?

The nurse plumped the pillow up behind the young girl's head. The doctor stood at the foot of the bed, checking her vitals and ticking them off his clipboard.

" That will be all, Nurse. You may send her friends in, but please make sure they do not wear her out."

" Yes, Doctor."

He left the room, and she stuck her head out of the door.

Four pairs of expectant eyes turned onto her.

" You may come in for a little while. She is sleeping though, so please be quiet or I'll be in trouble with the doctor."

As they filed slowly and quietly into her room, Yami nodded. " Thank you nurse."

" Call me if you need anything." With that, she turned and walked down the corridor.

Yami stood near the door, watching the reactions of the others as they saw Téa. Her face was as white as the sheets, and she was so thin she looked lost in the large hospital bed. She had a bandage covering her eyes and crown, lots of plasters covering stitches down her arms and her ankle was bandaged and covered in a cast.

" Will she be okay?" Mai asked fearfully, grasping one of Téa's limp hands.

" It seems so," Yami replied.

" Man, that car was insane," Joey said, more to himself.

" Out of control," Tristan agreed.

" Didn't they see the red light?" Mai added.

" I don't think that was an accident," Yami said. " It looked to me more like hit and run."

" Why do you think that?" Mai looked up at him.

" The road was too straight - there was quite a distance from the corner to the traffic lights. It is impossible not to see when the lights change. The driver had the car under control - they did not swerve or brake, and they did not stop to see if Téa was all right. They kept on going."

" Now that you mention it," Joey said, " I saw someone standing by the entrance to that alleyway talking into a poorly disguised walkie-talkie. They had a dark cloak on. I'm probably going on a hunch here, but I'd say it was a Rare Hunter."

Yami nodded. " Probably. There are still a few operating around here."

" But why would anyone want to deliberately hurt Téa?" Mai asked the question that was on everybody's mind.

" I don't know," Yami replied, " but I have a feeling it won't be long before we find out."

It was still dark when Téa awoke again, and the feeling of isolation and solitude came flooding back.

" Hello?" she tried to say, but it only came out as a hoarse croak. Her throat felt as if sandpaper had been scrubbed down it, and she desperately needed a drink.

" Téa Gardner?" came a soft voice.

" Yes," she whispered.

" Don't try to talk. I'll get you a drink, and we'll start from there."

There was a reassurance in the voice that made Téa's fears feel minor, and she settled back knowing someone was there with her.

She heard the footsteps and voices in the corridor, and knew she must be in a hospital. She could distinctly smell the antiseptic, and she screwed up her nose. She hated that smell.

" Here you go Téa," the soft voice told her. " Sit up slowly."

Téa did as she was told, and a hand gently guided her to a sitting position.

" Only small sips now, otherwise it could make you ill," the voice said.

When she had finished the drink, her throat felt much better. She attempted to talk, but only ended up in a coughing fit.

" Hey, slow down." There was gentle laughter from next to her. She couldn't help but smile.

" What's going on?" she asked.

" You were involved in a suspected hit and run. You were brought straight here, to the hospital, and we've been looking after you. How do you feel?"

" Like I've been hit by a train."

" Well, you're lucky it wasn't that bad, otherwise we wouldn't be here talking. It was a black limo, and they were speeding through a red light."

" Why do I hurt so much?"

" You've got concussion, a bruised head, cuts and bruises all down your arms and legs and a broken ankle. Nothing that won't heal," the voice added cheerfully. " Another couple of months and you'll be as good as new."

" Why have I got the bandage over my eyes?"

There was a pause. " The doctor just wanted to cover all possibilities. Your eye was bleeding, but that might have been from a cut on your eyelid. It's just a precaution. Nothing to worry about." A hand was laid on her arm. " Now, go back to sleep Téa. I'll come and see you in the morning, and we'll see if we can't take those bandages off from over your eyes, hmm? Your friends are worried about you," she added.

" Can I see them?"

" Whenever you feel up to it. But you've got to rest now, so you're fit and strong for them."

Téa nodded, and allowed herself to be helped back down into bed.

" What's your name?" she asked before the nurse went away.

" Nurse Kiyo-shin," she replied. Téa could almost hear the smile in her voice. " But you can call me Hope."

The next morning, Téa woke early and lay listening to the sounds outside her room. The pain in her ankle was getting to her, and she desperately wanted someone to take the bandages off her eyes so she could see again. This was what Serenity must have felt like, Téa thought, remembering Joey's little sister.

" Good morning, Téa," came a voice she recognised.

" Nurse Kiyo-shin?"

" The one and only. Now, let's get these bandages off."

Téa felt the bandages slowly being unwrapped, and she wondered if she would be able to see.

" There you go," came Nurse Kiyo-shin's voice. She couldn't see anything.

Suddenly there was a small chuckle from beside her. " It's all right Téa. You can open your eyes now."

Slowly, she cracked them open.

And she could see. White, everywhere.

" Yes, I know, the décor's a bit sad, but at least you can see me now."

Téa looked over to Nurse Kiyo-shin, and was surprised to find a young girl of not more than her own age standing smiling at her.

" Surprised, eh? I don't blame you. Everyone says I'm too young to be a nurse, but I've always wanted to help people. I only usually work night shifts, because I'm too squeamish to do any of the normal nurse stuff, but I wanted to be here for you."

" Thank you," Téa replied as she studied Nurse Kiyo-shin. She was quite tall and thin, and had startling green eyes that sparkled when she smiled. Her light brown hair was tied back in two French plaits that reached her shoulders, and she carried a clipboard, on which she now dumped the bandages.

" I'll bring you some breakfast and help you get up and washed, and then I'll call your friends. They were very worried about you yesterday, according to the nurse on duty then."

" I can't remember much about yesterday," Téa admitted.

" Don't worry. It's the concussion. And I'm sure they would be only too happy to fill you in on the details."

Nurse Kiyo-shin smiled as she walked out, nodding to the doctor as he stepped into Téa's small room.

" Good morning, Téa," he said in a formal voice. " I trust you are feeling better?"

She nodded, afraid of what was written on his face.

" Good. Now, I have some bad news. Your friends tell me you are an excellent dancer and you have your entry exam to the Dance Academy in a couple of months. Is that right?"

She nodded dumbly.

" I'm very sorry, Téa, but looking at the state of your ankle, you're not going to be able to walk on it for a couple of months, so dancing is out of the question for at least six months, maybe a year."

She felt the tears starting. She had worked so hard for a place in the Dance Academy. She had got through the auditions, and only had the final exam before she knew whether she could fulfil her childhood dream. Now it was shattered, all because some careless driver had smashed up her ankle.

The doctor patted her head awkwardly. " Now, Téa. Don't be too upset. I'm sure there will be other chances like this."

She shook her head and turned away from him, tears streaming down her face.