Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ In the Master's House ❯ The Rook - Servant of the King ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the Master's House

Note: This is all Elf's fault, dammit. I thought when my local crap station dropped the WB (and more importantly, Yu-Gi-Oh AND Pokemon AND Smallville), I'd never be able to get into it again. And here I am. Gah. I don't know what I'm DOING… Someone HELP me…

I've seen all kinds of romance fics dealing with Yugi & Yami. This one is Yami/Tea/Yugi/??? for now. And there are NO original characters, so if you want to know who ??? is, all I'll say is that he/she/it does appear in the anime. Enjoy.

Summary1: Yugi explores the world inside the Millennium Puzzle, while Yami gets a crash course in relationships. Neither will ever be the same again…

Summary2: Inside the Millennium Puzzle, there is a world shrouded in darkness, one that Yami has ruled with an iron fist for as long as he can remember. But when Yugi is mistaken for the Master, he will uncover a darker side of Yami-and Duel Monsters-that he never thought possible…

Chapter 1: The Rook - Servant to the King

The young duelist cried out in dismay as his Baby Dragon fell to Yugi's Gaia the Dragon Champion.

Well, Yami's, anyway.

The game was over, and they had won again.

Yugi was not surprised in the least. Lately, he was only surprised when Yami lost, and those occasions were few and far between. He smiled absently and continued to gaze into the portal that was Yami's sight.

As was his custom, Yami gave the defeated duelist a brief, encouraging speech: not to give up, work on his defenses, improve his deck, and various things of that nature. He was, at the very least, gracious in victory, but only with those he felt deserving of his kindness.

Yugi watched the duelist walk away, and silently hoped that the boy truly had learned something.

Then he felt the gentle prod of a ghostly finger in his shoulder.

"I'm done here, Yugi."

"Actually, Yami…" Yugi paused, wondering if he could really go through with this. "Why don't you stay out for a while? You've certainly more than earned it."

There was a startled, pregnant pause.

"Are you certain?" Yami questioned hesitantly. "I don't think there will be any more challengers. Everyone's wary of us again."

That was true enough. Yugi made a point of going to three different duel clubs each week, just to face a wider variety of duelists. But every night, eventually, the entire place seemed to realize that the small kid with the funny hair was no normal duelist and shied away after a few dominating victories on his part.

"I know that," Yugi replied. "But it would do you some good to spend some time out there, outside of the duels. There's more to life, you know."

He could almost see Yami gaping at him.

"Very well. You'll let me know when-?"

"Of course," Yugi replied quickly. "And…nice dueling tonight. You were amazing."

He expected Yami to comment on the quality of the duelists (or lack thereof), or to say there had been no real challengers.

Instead, Yami surprised him. "…thank you, Yugi."

"You're welcome. Have a good night, Yami."

"You, too, Yugi."

The portal slowly cycled shut, and the room became even dimmer.

This was, as Yugi understood it, Yami's home inside the Millennium Puzzle. It consisted of little more than a dim room, made entirely of stone, and was dominated by a large, ancient throne. Yami had supplied a few blood red cushions when Yugi had found the courage to complain of how uncomfortable it was, but there was nothing else.

At least, not when sitting on the throne.

For the longest time, Yugi had feared that Yami's world was filled with demons, creatures that only Yami himself could best. But Yami had insisted that there was nothing inside the Puzzle that would harm him. Of course, he had never really said what was in the Puzzle, either, and that made Yugi curious.

Slowly, he left the raised throne and stepped down. It was the first time he'd ever thought to do such a thing. All the other times, he'd been too focused on what Yami was doing.

Instantly, there was a soft hissing sound in the darkness.

Yugi froze, and then began to retreat to the throne.

"Massster…" hissed an almost serpentine voice.

Something muscular and frighteningly tall became barely visible in the shadows.

Yugi was petrified, and yet, he couldn't help feeling that the outline was familiar.

"Massster," said the figure again, coming even closer to him.

"Who are you?" Yugi squeaked. "What do you want?"

The figure paused. "Do you not know me, Massster? Why do you fear me?"

Yugi shifted slightly, and the glare from the Millennium Puzzle flashed across a fearsome, recognizable visage. "Summoned Skull?" he asked softly.

"Yesss, Massster," the skeleton replied, sinking to one knee.

"Please…get up," Yugi said, feeling very awkward. "I'm not…your master." He began to wonder what Yami had been up to here.

Summoned Skull seemed confused. "But…you have the Massster'sss form. Sssurely you are The Regent, then?"

"The…Regent?"

"The Massster told usss of one who wearsss hisss body, and might rule in hisss place one day."

Yugi didn't like the idea of anyone being inferior to him, at least not outside of a duel. But then, he was talking to his Summoned Skull. He might as well HAVE been in a duel. "You said…rule. Yami is…your king?"

"Massster," the Skull corrected gently. "And you are hisss Regent, yesss?"

"Let's just say I'm here visiting," Yugi answered. "Are there more of you?"

"Many," said the Skull. "The Massster hasss many ssservantsss, asss he dessservesss."

"Could…you show me?"

"Nay, Regent. I mussst guard the throne. The power to sssummon a guide belongsss to you and the Massster alone…"

"Summon?" Yugi thought for a moment, then nodded. "I summon the Mystical Elf!"

Almost instantly, the elf appeared before him. "How may I serve you, my lord?" she asked, bowing slightly.

Yugi turned scarlet. Maybe it was the excitement of dueling that had kept him from noticing in the past, but the Mystical Elf was quite breathtaking. "I'll need you to be my guide for a while."

"As you wish, my lord," she replied.

Yugi shook his head. "Please…you must not call me that. I'm not…well, not really…"

"Then…how you I address you, sir?"

"Just Yugi will do. What's your name?"

The Mystical Elf stared at him, her eyes widening. "My…name?"

"Yes. Surely you have one?" Yugi asked.

"…Aoen," she said at last. "Aoen Edain."