Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ In the Master's House ❯ The Lady - Beauty of the Kingdom ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The Lady - Beauty of the Kingdom

Yami walked more slowly than usual. He had yet to figure out why Yugi really wanted him to stay out. There was a time when Yugi couldn't have hidden anything from him. But as Yami had gained more experience, so had Yugi. Though neither would readily admit it, each had a resounding impact on the other's life. Yugi's kindness and loving heart had earned a permanent place in Yami's, while Yami's courage and determination had boosted Yugi's self confidence.

And though they had grown together, they had also inevitably grown apart. It was nothing that was blatantly obvious at a first glance. But there were things about each of them that the other would never understand, and in some cases, never forgive (though the latter was more Yami's concern than Yugi's).

Yami took a huge risk each and every time Yugi replaced him inside the Millennium Puzzle, but there was nothing for it. Although he did wish that Yugi would summon him back any moment now. The silence, not being connected to him or just not knowing what he was doing, was grating on Yami's nerves now, so much that he was sweating. Why had Yugi wanted him to stay out? What was he up to? And…

…and why was Tea sitting on his front porch?

Yami blinked and stopped.

Yes, it was definitely Tea. She was sitting on the front steps, staring at the ground. She was clutching some kind of book to her chest, and from the way she was sitting, Yami suspected the slightest noise would've sent her scrambling behind the nearest tree. He found that a bit odd. Tea was usually the confidence booster of the group, and here she was shaking like a leaf in the wind. Something had to be wrong.

And something held him back. Tea was Yugi's friend, and comforting her was a job for him. But trying to call Yugi would be fruitless unless he wanted to hear, and Yami suspected he didn't just then.

But Yami was here now, and so was she. It wasn't like he didn't know her, and she him.

Although, this was Tea, and more importantly, YUGI'S Tea. Things were complicated enough without angsty love triangles. And Yami hesitated to use that word, because while Yugi clearly had strong feelings for Tea, he suspected it was nothing more than a simple schoolboy crush. And so far, Tea had not really given any indication that she was interested in Yugi THAT way. So if there was love involved, it was one-sided, and almost guaranteed to break poor Yugi's heart some day.

And if he kept standing here thinking to himself, well, she'd just spot him eventually, anyway. And if he tried to walk away and THEN she saw him, it might upset her even more. The last thing Yami wanted to do was hurt her. That would upset Yugi, and…no, what was he thinking? That would upset HER. Yugi shouldn't come first in everything, at least, not were this friend was concerned.

Also, in a way, Tea was Yami's friend, too. At first, he'd just looked after them because Yugi was fond of them. But then Yami himself became fond of them, and they were HIS friends now, as well as Yugi's. And while he certainly didn't think himself in love with Tea, he would not just walk away while she was troubled.

His feet had moved before he'd consciously given them the order, and he was standing a few feet from her when he looked up. "Tea?" he asked softly.

She actually jumped to her feet, but forced herself to relax somewhat. "Oh, Yugi," she breathed, trying not to sound desperate. "I didn't hear you…" She trailed off uncertainly, then leaned closer, gazing questioningly into his eyes. "…Yami?" she whispered.

Despite himself, Yami smiled. He had not expected her to recognize him, but the fact that she had… Well, it must've meant something, even if he wasn't sure what exactly.

She seemed to relax even more after that, and sat down again.

"I know you were probably expecting Yugi," Yami began, "but he's-"

"No!" Tea cried at once, then blushed and shook her head. "I mean, I didn't come to see Yugi. I…was actually hoping I'd run into you, Yami."

Yami found that highly unlikely. He almost never emerged except when it was time to duel. Surely Tea knew that by now, if she'd run into "him," it would've been Yugi in the driver's seat. "Is anything wrong, Tea?" he asked.

"Wrong?" she repeated. "What gave you that idea?"

"You seem nervous." He paused. "You ARE nervous. If there's anything I can do to help, then-"

"Could we talk inside?" Tea interrupted.

"…of course," Yami answered after a moment. Without thinking, he reached for her hand.

Scarlet crept across Tea's face and down her neck as she gave Yami her hand and followed him up the steps.

* * * * *

Her name was Aoen Edain.

Her title was Mystical Elf.

Names didn't matter in Duel Monsters, titles did. In her world, she was always addressed as Mystical Elf, or simply Elf, if there were no other elves around (and therefore no need to make a distinction between, say, Mystical, Ancient, or Dark). Once or twice, she had been referred to as Mystic.

But all were reflections of her title, her true importance.

And this…boy…who resembled the Master in every way, save mood, manner, and…something in his eyes, refused to recognize any of that.

He had called her Aoen.

Only her creator had called her that, and only once.

The Master did not touch or fraternize with his subjects. He stayed on his throne and out of sight.

Yugi had stopped to meet every monster they'd encountered. For their part, the monsters were naturally confused. Many tried to bow, but he always stopped them. Some did not stop, but merely nodded and kept going. A select few acknowledged him as "Regent," which he seemed to accept after a while.

Even now, there was a Silver Fang padding faithfully beside him. He had named it Swift.

Yugi was not the Master.

And yet, Aoen found herself wishing that he was.

With the Master, at least, she knew how to behave and what to expect.

"Aoen?" he asked suddenly.

She stopped and looked down at him. "Yes, Yugi?"

"What's in there?" He pointed to a large, stone gray building.

Aoen was not allowed to lie. She sometimes wished she was, though. "The strongest monsters," she answered truthfully.

He detected something in her tone, she could tell. "Such as?"

"I am not certain. I have never found cause or reason to venture there."

He frowned. "I won't ask you to come with me, then."

"You have my thanks, Yugi." She bowed. "May I consider my service to you complete?"

"You may," he replied absently, staring at the building. "Aoen?"

"Yes, Yugi?"

He turned to her and smiled. "Thank you. I would like to see you again."

She was not certain how to reply to that.

"Do you have a family?" he asked.

"No, Yugi."

He seemed surprised at that. "Friends?"

"Only fellow elves and monsters of the light. But I would call them allies and nothing more."

There was a flash of what might've been pain in his face. "I'm so sorry…"

"For what, Yugi?" she asked.

Instead of answering, he came closer and wrapped his arms around her, pressing his face into her dress.

Aoen gently placed her hand on his head. "Are you in pain, Yugi?"

"Something like that."

"May I heal you, then?"

"…that won't be necessary." He slowly let go, his face pale and almost exhausted.

She stepped forward, stretching out a hand. "Are you certain? I can-"

"No. But…thank you, Aoen. I will never forget you." He turned and slowly walked away with his head lowered, and Swift tagging along behind him. Once, he paused to look back, and there was something disturbingly like anger in his expression. Then he was gone, running as fast as he could to the building. Swift yelped in surprise and darted after him.

Aoen felt an unusual sensation on her cheeks, and when she touched them, her hands came away wet. There was also an odd pain in her chest, and it grew worse when she thought of what Yugi might find.

* * * * *

If there had ever been any doubt in Yami's mind about Tea being Yugi's friend, the scrapbook wiped them away. There had to be tons of pictures of them together (although most included Joey & Tristan, but some did not). It quickly became obvious to him that she treasured her time with Yugi. How much, though, was another matter…one that would soon become all too clear.

"Do you know why I brought all these pictures to show you, Yami?" Tea asked when he was done.

He nodded. "You wanted me to know much you care for Yugi."

She nodded, but slowly. "Yugi…Yugi means the world to me. He's my dearest, closest friend." She took a deep breath. "And as much as he means to me…for some reason which I can't explain…you mean twice as much, Yami."

The air rushed from his lungs, and Yami was certain he would've fallen off the couch if Tea hadn't grabbed his shoulders. He turned to look at her, and found that she was much closer to him than he remembered. She was…almost leaning over him, really. "Tea," he whispered. "You…"

But he didn't get a chance to complete the sentence or the thought, because Tea suddenly pressed her lips to his. Anything resembling thought fled from his mind, and Yami was only aware of a startling, age-old hunger, rushing from his feet to devour his entire being. It pushed him forward, urging him to return the kiss and pull Tea closer. And just before it took total control of his mind, he had a brief vision of Yugi gazing at him in disappointment and turning away.

Going against nearly every instinct he had left, Yami slowly broke the kiss and backed away.

There was confusion is Tea's bright blue eyes, and that quickly gave way to embarrassment, hurt, and grief.

"I'm sorry," Yami said hurriedly. "Yugi…he…"

"I know," Tea said, choking up.

No. She didn't understand. He had to try again. "Tea…it…I…" Yami sat down and took her hands in his own. "As much as I…want this…"

She placed a finger to his lips. "We, Yami," she said softly.

He blinked. "As much as…we…want this…I can't…WE can't…do this to Yugi. Not without…well…"

She nodded. "I wouldn't know how to tell him…without breaking his heart."

Yami frowned. "No. It should come from me."

"You? But why-"

"If Yugi is doing what I think he's doing, then he'll already be upset with me. I wouldn't want to burden you with his wrath, since it'll initially be aimed at me. You should…take time to think this over, Tea. Make sure you know what it is you really, truly want."

"Right now," she said, resting her head on his shoulder, "I just want to be with you, to fall asleep in your arms…"

Yami said nothing and slipped his arms around her, listening to soft sound of her breathing, and waiting.