Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ In the Master's House ❯ The Knight - Guardian of the Castle ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: The Knight - Guardian of the Castle

Yugi slowly neared the gray building, not because of its imposing design, but because there were three Duel Monsters standing guard at the main door. Each was a constant in his deck: Celtic Guardian on the right, Gaia the Fierce Knight on the left, and Curse of Dragon between them.

At Yugi's approach, Curse of Dragon rose up a bit, growling warily, but the other two remained motionless and silent.

"There's no need for alarm," Yugi said, showing them his empty hands. "I just want to see the strongest monsters."

"Only the Master shall pass."

Yugi looked up, but he couldn't tell if it was Celtic Guardian or Gaia that had spoken. "Please, it's very important that I-"

"Only the Master."

Yugi looked at Gaia, but his face was hidden within the shadows of the helmet he wore. He turned to Celtic Guardian, whose impassive visage did little more to reassure him. "I am the Regent," he said at last.

"Regent you may be. Master you are not."

Yugi had been looking at Celtic Guardian the entire time, and even though his lips hadn't moved, Yugi still suspected the voice was his, anyway.

Finally, an idea occurred to him. Though uncertain of where the inspiration originated from, Yugi crossed his arms over his chest and whispered, "Yu-gi-oh…"

The guards did not move, but all of a sudden, they did seem less intimidating…which was only to say that Yugi no longer felt threatened.

"You shall pass."

Yugi stepped forward, but was stopped by a strong hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see Celtic Guardian staring down at him, narrowed eyes locked on his own. Almost imperceptibly, Celtic Guardian flicked his eyes just over Yugi's shoulder, and then back to his face.

Yugi understood. He turned and kneeled, petting Swift's neck. "You can't go in with me, boy. You'll have to wait out here."

At once, Swift lay down at Yugi's feet, resting his head on his paws.

Yugi smiled and rubbed his head. "Good boy. Stay." He turned back to the guards.

As one, Celtic Guardian and Gaia drew their weapons. The former held a gleaming sword, the latter a sharp lance.

Yugi tensed up, but needlessly.

The two guards thrust their weapons into the ground simultaneously, even as Curse of Dragon let out an earthshaking roar. Amazingly, the stone door behind them cracked and split open, each heavy half sliding away to reveal long hallway.

"Beware."

Yugi looked at Celtic Guardian one last time, but the guard would not meet his gaze. Nodding to himself, Yugi stepped inside…and was instantly plunged into darkness as the doors slammed shut behind him.

"Who has cause to cross the threshold into this place?"

Yugi glanced around, but saw nothing. "I do."

A pair of startlingly brilliant eyes appeared in front of him. "And who are you?"

"The Regent," Yugi said evenly.

"So I see." A solemn face gradually formed around the eyes, and soon Yugi found the Dark Magician towering over him. "Why have you come, Regent?"

"I wish to see the monsters housed here."

"Then it shall be as you desire." Dark Magician turned and started down the hall. "Did you have a particular one in mind?"

Yugi followed. "Yes. All of them."

Dark Magician walked until he reached a door of green stone. "Shadow Ghoul," he said simply.

Yugi paused only for a second. "Continue."

The next door was much the same.

"Man-Eater Bug."

"Wait."

Dark Magician turned to him. "Yes, Regent?"

"I was told only the strongest monsters were housed here."

"That is true."

"But…there are several monsters more powerful in my deck."

Dark Magician frowned. "True strength is not measured in manmade numbers, Regent, but in potential. That is what determines which monsters end up here." He tilted his head slightly. "I would expect you, of all people, to know that."

Yugi looked away. "Continue."

They walked for several minutes before reached a spiraling staircase. Dark Magician raised his staff, and a soft, violet light washed over them as they descended into the bowels of the prison.

"Are there many more monsters?" Yugi asked.

"One."

"Is it the strongest?"

"Without question."

Yugi found it odd that Dark Magician didn't look back when he answered. "Are there no others that assist you?"

"Only I am needed here, Regent. Anyone else would be in my way."

The staircase ended, and the light radiating from the staff winked out.

"You must not use your magic here," Dark Magician said. "It would be…unwise."

"Then…there's a spellcaster down here?"

Dark Magician paused. "Not `a' spellcaster. THE spellcaster."

Yugi was about to ask what magical power in his deck could possibly be greater than the Dark Magician, but he suddenly bumped into something. Looking up, his eyes widened in shock. "KAIBA?!"

"It is only a statue, Regent."

Yugi's heart rate returned to normal after a moment. "Why would a statue of him be here?"

"The same reason that statue is present beside it," Dark Magician replied, pointing with his staff.

Beside the cloaked statue of a smirking Kaiba was a huge, very lifelike representation of the Blue Eyes White Dragon.

"Why…?"

"It is not the statues that are important, but the spirits they represent. They are used to control the prisoner."

"What kind of prisoner would need to be held in check by that kind of power?"

"Surely you remember, Master," Dark Magician said softly, his voice becoming almost venomous. "You put the prisoner there yourself. She is my sister, the Black Magician Girl."