Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Karoke Nights ❯ Night of Tears part 2 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer-Kazuki Takahashi owns Yugioh and Goo Goo dolls own Iris

Key

Italics is song lyrics that no one is singing

/ someone singing/

"quotes are speech"

'is dreaming'

/is flashback/

- is thoughts -

warning: Character death (no one major, or even mentioned before in the story)

Kaiba walked back into his room more upset than he had ever been before. He saw Tea was still in there and frowned. -Err...I just want to be alone right now...wait I know a way I can be alone- Kaiba thought darkly. He snatched Tea up from behind and slung her over his shoulder before she knew what was going on. "Dont think I forgot about you, Tea..." -I wont be the only one who suffers tonight- He thought walking out of the room.

"Seto please put me down." Tea screamed trying to wriggle free by pusing his shoulders out of her way. "You wanted to be in a room you didn't belong in so badly, well now I am going to put you in a room you don't belong in, be careful what you wish for." Kaiba said re-adjusting her so that she couldn't wriggle free. "Seto, please you dont understand..." Tea said crying. "Oh, I understand perfectly, you can't leave well enought alone, so you decided to go snooping in the one room I forbade you from going in, then tried to blame it on the help." Kaiba said making his way down some steps. "It's not like that please just listen to me..." Tea said panicking as they went down the stairs. "I'm tired of listening to your lies." Kaiba hissed. "Please Seto, please, dont" Tea pleaded tears running down her face. "Its too late for that Gardner." Kaiba said puching in some keys on a keypad. A large bookshelf moved out of the way revealing a dark, dank, looking room with a blood stain on the floor. The only thing in there to offer any sort of comfort being a large stone slab with a bed sheet on it.

"Seto, please, reconsider don't make me go in there, honestly i was just trying to help, you got to believe me, I was only in there because I care about you and..." Tea began tears running down her pale, fear stricken face. "Err..I'm tired of your lies...do you honestly expect me to believe that you violated my trust, by snooping around in my personal business, because you care about me!" He snapped. "I know how it looks but please, just hear me out." Tea cried. Kaiba just glared down at her, "This conversation is over." Kaiba said harshly. Then he set down on the slab and cuffed her wrist to the wall. "Please Seto..." Tea began as he walked out the door. "Don't leave me!" she screamed as he slowly shut the door and her whole world became blackness.

Kaiba walked back to the keypad. First he locked the door, and had the cuff release her, then he turned on the virtual snakes. He looked at the button to release the real snake. He raised his hand to press it, then let his hand drop. -I can't...I can't put her in actual harm's way...- he realized. He activated the time lock, he had meant to set for 25 hours and then open but he accidently set it for 2.5 hours. Then walked up the stairs depressed.

Meanwhile Tea felt the cuff around her wrist release. She rubbed her wrist, then pulled her legs up to her chest. She was completely blinded, and the dead silence that filled the air hung like a blade, she could feel her heart racing. She gulped then felt her way to the door. She pounded on the door. "Let me out!" she screamed at the top of her lungs, even though she knew no one was coming. Then she felt something cold, and scaly brush by her leg. She froze in place. Then the feeling was gone. She felt her way back to the slab and sat down. She brought her legs to her chest then rested her head on her knees.

Meanwhile Kaiba went upstairs, showered and bathed, then wrapped himself in a robe and opened up the drawer he kept his nightclothes in. The first thing he saw when he opened it was his black and gold Kaibacorp pajamas. He closed his eyes to keep from crying then closed the drawer. -Boxers and this robe are fine, not like Teas sleeping in here anyway.- He thought getting into bed.

Meanwhile Tea suddenly felt another snake move across her bare legs. Then wrap itself around her abdomen, and chest. It flicked its tongue in her face as it squeezed her. Tea could hardly breathe. "Somebody Help Me." she screamed. Then before she knew it was gone. -I can't go on like this- she thought. Renee walked down the steps whistling then walked over to the door Tea was at and released the real snake from its pen. "Oop, clumsy me." she said sarcastically. Then she walked back up the steps towards her room. One the way back she saw Kaiba sitting up on his bed with his hands on his knees, and his head on his heads, and face looking down sadly. -Aww poor Seto you almost break my heart, almost, but you see I am lie an artist and your mine fine, piece of marble, and while its a shame to mess up such a nice piece of marble, you have to chisel away at it, bit by bit by bit until you get what you want, throwing away any unwanted pieces, and that witch Tea and that little brat Mokuba are as unwanted as they come- She thought making her way back to her room.

She showered and bathed then slipped into her night gown. A slutty little number, that was black, and sheer, almost see through. She walked over to her dresser and started brushing her long black wavy hair, watching Kaiba intently for a couple of hours. He got up out of the bed, and started to open the door, then changed his mind and sat in the corner and started crying. Renee slipped over her robe, also a slutty, thin, sheer number, and let it hang open. "Its showtime." she said before heading over to his room.

She walked into his room and put on the best concerned face she could, if ever there any good things to be said about her they would be one, she was good looking, and two she was a good little actress. "Umm, master Kaiba is everything alright." she asked mock concerned. "Go away." He said turning and staring at the wall, trying to keep himself from crying in front of anyone, his voice low and grief stricken. "Are you sure you don't need anything sir..anything at all?" she asked. "What do you care, your off duty." he asked, his voice low and robotic. "Because I care about you, your still the only friend I've had." she said looking sad and turning her face away. Kaiba looked over at her and studied her for a bit. -I can't tell if she's faking or not...she looks like she's truly sad, and she has got to be cold in that thing, she should put something on, unless she's trying to heat up some other way, better stay on my guard.- he thought. -So far he's buying, but he's not sold yet, Renee girl its time to step it up a bit.- She thought. "That was along time ago Renee, we were little kids, I'm old enough now to realize that no good can come from friendship so save your little speeches or you'll end up with little miss friendship herself in the silence room." He hissed. Renee looked at him. "Sir with all due respect, I am not trying to give you a friendship speech, I prefer to let the past stay the past, its...just so hard sometime you know?" she said pretending to stifle back tears. He looked at her. Then stared at the floor. "I know what you mean." he said sadly. -Yes, hes buying it.- "Do you ever think about them?" she asked sitting next to him, though he didn't notice. "Who?" he asked dropping his guard. -Maybe she is concerned, she did use to be my friend, til Gozaboro forced me to stop hanging out with her, until I slapped her...- "Your parents." she said looking at him. He snapped his head up and looked at her.

Meanwhile Tea screamed as yet another snake made its way up her legs and started to flicking its tongue across her. Then another, they were all attacking at once. Then the real snake started slithering toward her, Tea an easy target as she tried to claw away the snakes, realzing that they were only illusions. Then they all disappeared. Tea cried, she had been in there two hours and she didn't know how much more she could take. Her breathing was hard pressed and her night gown was tattered, though if it was her own doing or the snakes she didn't know. -I'm not going to make it out of this room, it feels like I've been locked in here for years, and it can't have been that long, I...can't take this.- she thought crying. She got up to feel herself to the door, hoping that maybe Kaiba was wrong about it being soundproof, not realizing that she just narrowly escaped death as the snake blindly lunged at her and missed. She pounded at the door. "Somebody help!!" she screamed pounded at the door with all her might. "Please help me." she screamed crying and screaming her punches gradually getting weaker and weaker. "Seto, Mokuba, help please, somebody...anybody...!" she screamed puching the door weakly on the wall and crying. "Help." she whispered collapsing onto her knees and hugging herself. No longer able to control her sobs no longer caring if she was an easy target, and unaware that the real snake had picked up her scent.

"Sometimes." Kaiba said to Renee looking at the ceiling. "I think about my parent's everyday." Renee said scooting closer. Kaiba nodded. -That's right, she's an orphan just like me- Kaiba thought remembering how Gozaboro used the fact to get Kaiba to do what he wanted. He sighed. "I'm sorry." he said looking at her. "For what?!" Renee said truly startled. "For hitting you, all those years ago, it wasn't my fault thought, Gozaboro forced me to." he said looking at her deadly serious. -I hate to seem weak, but I hate owing people even more, besides with that off my mind if she really did step out of line, and get Tea in trouble then I won't feel guilty if I fire her.- he thought. Renee looked at him for a second. -Wasn't expecting that, but it doesn't change my plan at all.- she thought. "I figured as much, that's why I never stopped caring." she said scooting closer, their legs practically touching. "Renee, just stop it ok, I'm sick of people lying to me and telling me they care, when they don't, I'm not stupid, I know that I'll always be alone." He said feeling as though he was about to cry -Not even Mokuba cares- He thought sadly. "You don't have to be." she said turning his head toward her gently with her two fingers. He looked at her his eyes, wet with tears he refused to shed. "Just stop, please just stop it, I sick of it o.k." he said overwhelming himself. "I so sick of liars, always ripping my heart and crushing it before my very eyes, I'm sick of always being told I have no heart, by people who don't even know me, I mean how they expect to me to have a heart when its been broken into tiny little pieces so many times, that I've given up putting it back to gher again, how can I have a part when every time I give a piece of to somebody they, take it and leave me alone, with noone to even care if I live or if I die." He said on the verge of tears.

Renee looked at him mock sadly. "Don't say things like that, when you start to talk like that then you stop caring about yourself, listen I know your a good person and I know you've been through a lot, but I've never known you to be a quitter." she said. He glared at her. "I'm no quitter." he said. "What was that, I couldn't quite hear you." she said putting her hand to her ear. "I said I'm no quitter." he shouted. "That's right and all those people who left you, well good riddiance, you don't need them, you don't need anybody." she shouted. "I don't need anybody." he shouted getting up. "We don't need anybody." she shouted. "We don't need anybody." he shouted even louder, not realizing he had just said "we" instead of "I".

"Screw you Mom and Dad." she shouted. "Yeah, screw you, you want to break promises then so can I." He shouted. "Screw you Gozaboro." She shouted. "Screw you Gozaboro." He repeated louder. "Screw you Mokuba." she shouted a little quieter not sure how he act. He paused for a minute. Then remembering what Mokuba had just said to him he shouted, "Screw you Mokuba, I tried to be your brother, I gave it my all, but if you want me out of your life then fine, you stay the !@#$ away from mine!" he shouted loudest of all. Kaiba smirked and hugged Renee. "Thank you, and if you ever tell anyone about this I wont just fire you, I'll murder you." he whispered. She smirked behind his back taking in his embrace. -Phase one of my plan went by without a hitch- she thought evily. Suddenly Kaiba stiffened. "Tea." he whispered pulling away and running downstairs. he didn't no why but suddenly he felt compelled to run down there. Renee ran after him.

Meanwhile Tea was still hugging herself and rocking back and forth crying unaware of the real snake making its way toward her. He slithered up her leg and started wrapping its long tail around her abdomen. Cutting off her oxygen. Tea felt a sharp pain suddenly hit her sides that she hadn't felt before, she tried to scream but nothing came out. "This is it." she thought fearfully. When suddenly the door opened and a tall silhoutte was standing in the door way, though Teas vison was so clouded she couldn't tell. She tried to stand up and claw the snake off her but she couldn't. The figure ran over toward and called out her name, but she still couldn't tell who, a second, smaller, slender figure appeared in the door but this person made no move to help. "Help me." she managed to choke out before all her breathing was cut off. The figure snatched the snake off and threw it on the ground. The snake lounged at the figure and but the figure dodged. Then picked up a stick off the ground. The snake lounged a second time but the figure dodged it then stabbed it with the stick, killing it instantly. Tea watched as the figure started becoming clearer. Who ever it was it was a guy wearing a velvet looking color. They kneeled down next to her then said her name again. She blinked a couple time, first making out concerned, intense sappahire eyes, then making out dark brown hair. She realized who it was. "Seto." she said reaching to touch his face then her whole world became black. "Tea, Tea...stay with me!" she could hear Kaiba shouting even though it sounded strange, some how muffled. Then she passed out completly.

Meanwhile upstairs Mokuba was crying on his bed. He had heard the shouting coming from Kaiba's room, though he didn't know who the heck the other person was with him. "Well I guess I got what I wanted, so why does it hurt so much." Mokuba whispered trying to choke back sobs. He walked over and picked up Kaiba's locket off the floor. Then opened his own and set the two lockets side by side. Staring at the pictures. Then he closed them and threw them out the window. Watching them twirl about then land on the ground.

Elsewhere a group of teenagers had met at the school courtyard. One was a guy with thick eyebrows, and semi-long hair which was parted on the front framing his face. He was big and wore a school uniform that had a white band on the sleeve that read hall monitor. "Alright you guys settle down." he said to the group. "You mind telling us why you called us here Ushio." said one of the guys, a guy also in a school uniform only it was open and he had no shirt underneath and was made of black leather. He had spiky green hair, and green eyes. (a/n: Ushio is not OC read the first manga if you don't know who he is, they've shown him on the show, he's they guy that stood over Joey and Tristan who Yugi saved him from, back when they were bullies, he had beat them up and Yugi save them and that's how Joey and Tristan became friends. Yami made him play a shadow game where he thought that leaves and dirt were a bunch of money.) "I'm glad you asked that question Vinny." Rei said dressed in the males school uniform, only the pants were black and leather, she didn't wear the jacket and she had on a long black button up shirt and two wristbands with spikes in them, and a sword. Ami followed close behind her, sheepishly wearing the same thing minus the wrist bands, and sword.

"But you know what I think you forget place. Or need I remind you that we always say our motto before any meeting." She hissed. Vinny gulped and pulled on his collar. "Uhh, you see.." he began nervously. "Silence." she hissed. Vinny immediately shut up. "Now today is a special meeting because we have someone to initiatate." she said stepping to the side to reveal Ami. "Then I'll reveal why i called you are all here." she said smirking evily.

Ami gulped and backed away, she had no idea the Rei was the only female in the group. "Now lets say the motto while we iniate Ami." she cooed. She walked over to Ami and grabbed her by the hand and lead her to the center of the group. "Now Ami, noone's going to hurt you, I promise." she said letting go of Ami's hand and walking into the center. Ami relaxed a little and let down her guard. "Let the initiation commence." Rei commanded. Suddnely Ami found herself getting beat up. (a/n: I wont describe in order to keep it PG-13 but its bad.) "Who are we!" Rei shouted. "We are DHT" the gang shouted. "What do we do!" Rei shouted. "We Devaste, Humilate, and Terminate the residents of Domino." the gang shouted. "What do we own!" she shouted. "Domino High is our Territory." they shouted. "Excellent." she hissed. Ami collapsed to the ground. "You promised..." Ami whispered. "Oops, guess I lied, but your in DHT Ami dear, and the only way out now is in a box." she said sugary sweet. Ami fell unconcious. Rei circled her. "You know as members of DHT we have never done all three to one human being before, we devasted her, but she lives, and if she had kept her mouth shut she wouldn't have been humilated. Now what I propose is we all do all to all three individuals who had the extreme misfortune of crossing my path, these three individuals are Yumi Nakamura, Tea Gardner, and last but certainly not least Seto Kaiba." she said crossing her arms over her chest and narrowing her eyes. "Wait I thought you liked him." Vinny said. "That's the second time you stepped out of line, today Vinny, you know what that means." She said unsheating her samurai sword and charging him. He fell to the ground, dead. (a/n: This is as bad as the vio-lence gets in this fic, like i said i'm keeping it pg-13 this is no more violent than Rururoni Kenshin, or Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT and they came on early enough for little kids to see)

She resheated the sword as he fell to the ground. "Anymore questions." she hissed. Everyone shook their heads. "Good, Now what's are mission!" she hissed. "To Devaste, Humilate, and Terminate." The gang shouted. "Who!"she shouted. "Nakamura, Gardner, and Kaiba" the gang shouted. "I can't hear you." she shouted. "Nakamura, Gardner, and Kaiba!" the gang shouted. "DHT forvever!" Ushio shouted. "Yeah!, D-H-T, D-H-T, D-H-T" the gang shouted. Rei narrowed her eyes. -excellent- she thought darkly. "Now clean this mess up." she said refering to Ami, who was still unconcious, and Vinny who was dead. She grabbed Ushio and dragged him to the side. The walked until they got to the park and sat on a bench. "Thanks Ushio dear, for coming to the DHT meeting." She cooed tracing his chest. "It was nothing, it was fun." he said queitly. "I just can't believe you did that to Ami." he said quietly. "She'll get over it, and if she doesn't I don't really care, I can get a new lapdog." she said casually. "But Rei, she's your cousin, her mother left her, her fathers in jail and your the only family she has left." he said shocked. Rei narrowed her eyes. "Want to taste steel." she hissed. He shook his head. "Never mind." he said. Rei relaxed. "Good, now then I bet your wondering what you have to do with all this." she said. "The thought crossed my mind, yeah." he said. "Well, your the hall monitor, so I want you too monitor those three, and lead them too where I want, when I want, do I make myself perfectly clear." she hissed. "Yes." he said. "Good." she said kissing then getting up. "Au revoir" she said waving goodbye and skipping off as if nothing had happened. "If she weren't my girlfriend..." Ushio said shaking his head.

Meanwhile Joey called Duke on the phone. Duke heard his phone ringing and got up yawned and stretched. "Hello" Duke said. "Can I speak to Duke Devlin?" Joey asked on the phone. "Speaking." Duke said rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Duke, this Joey, we need to talk." "Joey? Dude, do you have any idea what time it is, its like 1:00 am." "Yea, well dis is important, your da the head a da decoratin' comitee for the roya' ball on the 25th right?" Joey asked. "Yeah, well I am the ultimate romantic, and shoe in for king....why do you ask?" Duke said tossing his hair from his face. "Well, I need ya to do me a favor, and it involves totally humiliating Kaiba." Joey said, still angry at Kaiba for making his brother feel so bad. (a/n: or at least that's what he thinks happened.) "I'm listening?" Duke said awake now. "Ok here's the plan...." Joey said.

Meanwhile Kaiba was busy trying to wake Tea up. "Tea open your eyes." he pleaded. He hadn't been trying for a good half hour now to no avail. Tea didn't wake up. Kaiba closed his eyes and rested his head on stomach. "Please Tea, you have to, if anything were to happen to you, because of me, I don't know what I'd do." Kaiba said crying on her stomach. "Please." he whispered squeezing her hand tighter. Renee smirked. -Everything is going do better than I thought it would-

He picked her up placing one arm under legs and one arm supporting her arm, her head rolled off his arm and dangled, along with her legs. -Tea....-he thought, it was all he could think about. The events of their time togheter flashing before his eyes. He carried her up the steps to the fourth floor of the house, the medical ward, there a small group of physcians and nurses lived and worked, for a little bit more than they'd make at a hospital, of course they still worked days at the hospital, but nights they were on call 24 hours for Kaiba and Mokuba, and any staff in urgent need of care, but for the money they were making, it was well worth it. "Help!" he called out trying to wake one of them. One of the doctors, a kindly old man who was half bald the other half pulled into a medium sized gray ponytail. He wore square rimmed glasses over his warm brown eyes, he had been working in one of the rooms, checking on patient when he heard Kaiba calling. "Oh dear." he said scutlling out the room.

He saw Kaiba carrying a listless Tea. "Oh dear, oh dear." he said running up to Kaiba and checking her vitals. "Bring her in here." he said walking over to a room. Kaiba followed. "Place her on the bed." The doctor commanded. "Doctor Kanako is she going to be alright?" Kaiba asked worriedly, placing Tea on the bed. "Only time will tell sonny, only time will tell." The old docotor said expertly hooking Tea to a breathing mask, and starting the machine. "Look Sonny, she needs her rest, I doubt she'll wake up today, why don't you go get some sleep and I'll call if there's any change, I know you cell number so don't worry." the old man said. "But..."Kaiba began. "Out, out, out, out, out." the old man said pushing Kaiba out the room. Kaiba watched as the door closed on his face. Normally he would of marched back in there, but he didn't want to make the doctor mess up when working or Tea plus he was out of energy.

He sighed and went back upstairs to his room, pausing only briefly at Mokuba's room wishing he could talk to him. He sighed and layed on his bed. Then got up and paced around his room. He sighed, then opened up his drawer and pulled out a pair of black pants and put them on. Then walked out the door, uncaring that he had on no shirt, and a velvet robe on, at this point he didn't really care how he looked.

He walked on the street to nowhere. He just needed to clear his head. -Tea, I'm so sorry.- he thought sadly.

And I'd give up forever to touch you 'Cause I know that you feel me somehow You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be And I don't want to go home right now

He walked over towards the park. -Everythings so screwed up right now.- he thought saldly. He looked over and saw a couple walking up to a house. "I had fun tonight." the girl cooed. "Me too." the boy said, rocking on the balls of his feet. "I'm sorry I read your journal...I just was afraid that Melanie was..." the girl began. "Its alright I forgive you." the boy said kissing the girl on the lips passionetly. Kaiba turned his head then continued walking, faster than before, their situations was just too similar. -Only difference is that they had a happy ending, !@#$ it why couldn't listen.-Kaiba thought closing his eyes to keep from crying. He swallowed the lump rising in his throat. -Things would of been so much better if I had only listened.-

'"Don't touch this, Don't ever touch this!" Kaiba shouted snatching the picture of his parents from her. "Seto..." Tea started. "Why are you in here, didn't I tell you not to come in here." He shouted. "I was only trying to help?" Tea said crying. Kaiba features softened. "What do you mean." he asked her his voice low and soothing. "I thought some maid was trying to steal from you." she said throwing herself into his arms. "Sssh, I forgive you." Kaiba said rubbing her back soothingly. She looked up and then opened her eyes and kissed him.' Kaiba shook the image out of his head. -That's the way it should of went, but it didn't, because I let my stupid pride get in the way. I even yelled at her just because the only friends she's told she's living with me are Mai and Serenity, just to justify to my own arrogant self that I was right and she was wrong. She never desereved this. I never deserved her.-

And all I can taste is this moment And all I can breathe is your life 'Cause sooner or later it's over I just don't want to miss you tonight

He looked over and saw an empty bench. He sat down and placed his hands on his head. -I'm such a pathetic wreck, I've never worse than I do right now. Mokuba doesn't want to be my brother anymore, and if Tea lives she sure as heck won't want to see me again. Maybe this is what I deserve.- He thought as it started raining. He shivered and tied up his robe. -I should of brought a coat, I'm so stupid, I'm stupid in a lot ways, I'm nothing.- He thought crying, glad that it was raining so noone could tell that he was. The last thing he wanted was to appear weak in public, but his whole life had been turned upside down in the course of a day.

And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know who I am

He cried and cried until he couldn't cry anymore. Once he had controled himself he got up and started walking some more. He sighed then got up and started walking again, his destination unknown even to him. He went into a store, searching for he didn't know what. He saw a gold necklace, with a ballerina on it with one arm strecthed out in front of her, and one leg stretched out behind her elequently. He stared at the necklace remembering Tea's performance. He felt like crying but he couldn't.

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming Or the moment of truth in your lies When everything feels like the movies And you bleed just to know you're alive

He grabbed the necklace and felt in his pants pocket for money, he found his emergency stash, he hadn't brought his wallet, just his cell phone and payed for it. Then continued to walk, forgetting to buy an umbrella. He walked aimlessly in the dark. He reached Domino pier and sat down on a bench overlooking the ocean. The streets were empty, just the way he liked it.

And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know who I am

He looked at the ocean. The sound of it bringing little solace, but what little solace it did bring he was glad for. He looked at the square pier and remembered when he had last been there. Joey and Yugi had been having a duel and Tea was trapped in chair so they wouldn't interfere. -Why did, I save her that day, I mean why did I care so much, if Yugi and his little friends drowned or not. I think I loved her even then, I just didn't know it yet, so I saved her, only to put her back in harm's way myself. If anything happens to her because of me, I don't know what I'll do.- He thought sadly.

And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know who I am

He looked up at the sky sadly. He remembered what Tea had said about wishing stars. "Star light, Star bright first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have the wish, I wish tonight." he recited. "I wish that Tea will wake up, if she wakes up I promise I'll try to change, just please let her wake up." he whispered sadly. "Even if it means she'll hate me, and leave me forever, just let her be ok." he said stifling back tears.

And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know who I am

Suddenly Kaiba heard his cell phone ring. "Hello....I'll be right there." Kaiba said getting up and running as fast as he feet would take him back home.

I just want you to know who I am I just want you to know who I am I just want you to know who I am