Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lightning never strikes the same place twice... ❯ Confrontation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A woman was at my side in an instant. She took my shoulders and sought to grab the attention of my eyes, “Don't worry, don't worry, your safe, shh…” She repeated this mantra until my hysterical cries had quietened to breathless sobs, “Where… Who…”
 
Her eyes filled with sympathy, “You're in hospital in Washington. You were struck by lightening whilst boarding a plane. You're lucky to be alive.”
 
I didn't answer her. Because now that my initial panic was fading, I saw that my brain was perhaps not as devoid of conscious as I had previously thought. Flashes filled my thoughts… A girl… no, wait, a family… I think… then... a meadow… and… a man with skin like diamonds? They made no sense. Blood… why did I… why did this conscious want blood?!
 
“Hello?” The nurse was eyeing me nervously, “Are you alright?”
 
Unable to form speech due to the visions clouding my synapses, I nodded. She looked relieved, “I'll go get the doctor for you.” She marched out of the room into the hall.
 
I mulled over these perplexions that, as the minutes passed, increased in numbers. Eventually, a man of medium build with thinning brown hair approached my bed, “Awake, are we?” He smiled at me. I did my best to return the favour, but it was a poor effort. For the second time since I woke up, I received a look of sympathy.
 
The doctor perched on the edge of my bed, a proceeded to explain that I had been boarding a plan during a storm, when lightning had struck the outer hull of the plane. Seconds before this I had slipped on the platform outside the entryway, and a woman had reached out to grab me, with her hand on the planes hull in order to prevent me from pulling her down, too. In an instant, the lightning had passed through her and into me.
 
“Was she alright?” I asked him. “Oh yes, she was unaffected. It was you who took the brunt of the blow”. I paused, knowing my next question was going to confuse him somewhat, “Can I see her? I mean, is she somewhere nearby so we can contact her?” His eyebrows came together. Damn. “Just so I can say thankyou,” I said in a rush, and thankfully, like the red sea had before them, his eyebrows parted and the smile reappeared, “As a matter of fact, I do believe she left her contact details at the desk when she was discharged, so they could inform her when you woke up. I'll go give her a call.” He walked out.
 
My breathing quickened. So she knew I would have wanted to talk to her when I woke. That was ominous. Another flash ripped through my brain, this one actually causing me pain; the want, no, the thirst for blood was more prominent in this one than in the others… and there were bears… why… wait… a man… God, he's moving so fast! What is he… wait… Oh God. He just attacked the bear… his teeth bit through its jugular like it was nothing….
 
I was starting to feel faint. My view shifted. Another man was to my right; blonde, smaller than the first, but still impressive. I… I love him. What? What the hell was going on?
 
The Doctor said, after having spoken with my “saviour” (I was beginning to doubt her nature), said she would be arriving later in the afternoon, around two o'clock when the visiting hours began. Until then, I was left to struggle with my visions, some of which were quite graphic and violent. I was at a loss to explain their origin, and could only hope this girl could help me.
 
The minute hand ticked onto the twelve, triggering butterflies to begin fluttering in my stomach. After a few moments, a young woman appeared in my doorway. She was… well, she was beautiful. Small, with a short black haircut, ivory skin and golden eyes; everything about her was angelic. She smiled, adding to my conclusion. “Hi,” she said, her voice chiming pleasantly. “Um. Hello,” I tried to sound sane as I replied. The girl hesitated, as if she did know whether to sit down or stay standing. I was quick to gesture towards the bed, “Have a seat.” She gracefully poised herself on the edge of the bed.
 
After an awkward silence, she said, “So how are you? The Doctor said your doing quite well?” I wasn't sure where to begin, “I'm alright, at least physically… I lost my memory, that's all…” As if it wasn't a big deal. A look flashed across her face, one I hadn't expected; it wasn't shock… knowing, perhaps? “That's awful.”
 
“Yeah, it is…” I took a deep breath, “And I keep having these weird flashes-” The look appeared again, only this time it set on her face. It was knowing; mixed with resignation, “Flashes?” She said apprehensively.
 
I decided it was best I be frank with her, because if she was what I thought she was, there was every possibility that this was going to end badly, “Are you a vampire?” I blurted out. She froze. And when I say froze, I mean froze. Like a statue.
 
“What?” She hissed from between her lips.