Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Little Dagger ❯ Invitation ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi all!
 
 
This is a WIP that I've been working on for a while. The first five chapters are done and chapter six is about half done. But here's a few notes from when I posted this on Fanfiction.net.
 
 
This is a Yugi/Téa or Yuugi/Anzu fic and I will be using the Japanese names much as possible; however, I only know the Japanese names for the major characters - some, like Mai, I haven't found the name yet, so I will use the English version.
 
 
Let me explain a couple of quick things about this story. First, I'm playing with the way Yuugi and Anzu met and how Yuugi came to live with his grandfather. Which I don't think they ever say why in the anime….
 
 
Anyway, second, this takes place after graduation - 15 years after to be precise. So the gang would be about 33ish. Ye be warned - I have a thing for long-time unconfessed loves. Jean-Luc Picard and Beverly Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation are one of my fave couples and they took nearly 3 decades to say that they loved each other. That's 30 years, folks!!!! When they did, I was so like `FINALLY!!!!' Ugh, the bakas….
 
 
BTW - one quick rant - I am so freakin' tired of fanfiction showing Téa/Anzu as a mere `cheerleader' or as a ditz! That is SO not her! She is an incredible personand a lot more talented and smart than most people give her credit for.
 
 
I personally think that she could pull off a `Yahiko.'Lemme explain - in one of the Rurouni Kenshin volumes (22, I think….), Yahiko pulls off one of Kenshin'ssignature moves nearly perfectafter just watching him do it again and again. (The move itself is great, the landing…not so much....) So for Anzu, that means that she could be an incredible duelist because she watches from the sidelines and learns all the battle strategies, tricks, etc. Ok, thank you for letting me carry onlike that.
 
 
Anyway, here's the story. Enjoy.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or the names from any other shows that I may borrow for this fanfiction.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Little Dagger
 
 
Chapter 1 - Invitation
 
 
When Anzu Mazaki sorted through her daily mail that day, the last thing she expected was to have an invitation for her dance company to perform at a KaibaCorp gala in three weeks. Apparently, Seto Kaiba was putting on the whole thing to stage some huge announcement he had.
 
 
The invitation said to call back within 2 days if they were going to perform and also to start choreographing a routine to incorporate anything from Duel Monsters, if at all possible. It looked like all of the past and present big-name duelists and duel company businessmen would be there.
 
 
I wonder if Yuugi's been invited, she thought, I haven't talked to him in about 3 months and it's been twice that since I've seen him. But three weeks to plan and choreograph an entirely new routine?? I don't know…I'll ask the girls when they get home.
 
 
She walked downstairs from her spacious three bedroom apartment into her dance studio. The stairway walls were filled with pictures from both Domino and here in New York. One particular picture never failed to catch her eye....
 
 
It was her, Yuugi, Jounouchi, and Honda on graduation day. Shortly after that, she got accepted at the New York Dance Academy and Yuugi took over his grandfather's game shop. Jounouchi and Honda started at the local community college that fall.
 
 
For the first few years, everyone kept in touch; Anzu made as many trips back to Domino as she could, the others even came to New York a time or two. But as time went on, their lives got busier and soon the only communication they had was by email and occasionally by phone. Jounouchi and Mai starting dating two years after graduation; no one was really that surprised when two years into their relationship, they were married the summer after Shizuka's graduation.
 
 
Anzu's life in New York was only getting busier by the month. While attending the NYDA (New York Dance Academy), she found a position as an instructor-in-training of sorts at a dance school that was just starting up. The founding instructor was actually Anzu's mentor and favorite teacher at the academy, Hikari Ashki. Hikari had seen Anzu's talent and potential from her first day in class and taken her under her wing.
 
 
Eventually, when Hikari realized her dream of starting up her own dance school, she invited Anzu along to help. Anzu jumped at the chance and was even given the chance to pick the school's name.
 
 
“I'm horrible at this thing,” she had said, laughing. “I've tried for ten years and haven't come up with a single decent name. Maybe a fresh young mind can do it.”
 
 
Anzu thought about it for a couple of weeks, then decided on a name that she hoped would show that even though someone maybe unassuming on the outside, they have a strength and a spark inside that shows through like fireworks when they are doing what they love.
 
 
The Vailo School of Dance.
 
 
The school flourished; after Anzu graduated from the academy, she took a teaching position at the school. It only grew and grew; the time sped by until it had been five years since its foundation. However, that anniversary was overshadowed by the fact that less than a month later, Sugoroku Motou passed away from a blood clot that traveled to his lungs.
 
 
Everyone Shimon had ever met or touched in any way attended his funeral. Anzu took off from her teaching position at the school to come; she reconnected with Yuugi, Honda, Otogi, Shizuka, Jounouchi, Mai, and the latter two's children - Eri, 7; Yuka, 5; and Hojo, 2 - to whom she was `Aunt Anzu.'
 
 
Three months later, Hikari herself passed away due to a car accident caused by a drunk driver; she left the entire school and all of her estate to Anzu. Interesting way to spend the fifth anniversary of your school and the year of your 32nd birthday, huh? It got better though.
 
 
Anzu decided that, without Hikari there, the apartment above the dance studio was way too large for just one person and she decided to her four best, brightest, and oldest students to come and stay with her in the apartment. They were the first students to sign up for classes and had stayed with the school ever since, growing a deep friendship with Anzu and the late Hikari.
 
 
Anzu knew that finances were starting to become a problem for all four of them and, if they were willing to help keep the place clean and help with the classes, she was willing to have them here without them paying any rent.
 
 
The girls stayed after their dance lesson the next day for their next Duel Monsters lesson. The latter lessons had been started one day four years ago when the youngest of the four, Anna, let her curiosity get the better of her and discovered Anzu's card deck. Once the girls discovered that she was actually a duelist, and a good one to beat, they showed her their decks and begged her to teach them how she dueled.
 
 
“Please, Anzu!!!” cried the oldest, Moira, five years the elder of her sister, Anna. “All the guys at school say Duel Monsters is a boys game and girls aren't allowed because they can't do it right!!!” Anzu couldn't say no to that, and the secondary lessons began.
 
 
Anzu smiled at that memory; the boys at the girls' school had certainly been proven wrong. She had asked the girls at their lesson if they would like to move in and, in two weeks, Moira, Brittany, Corin, and Anna were now her new roommates in her three-bedroom apartment. The girls had been living with her for just over a year now, and although they could be a bit trying at times (what else would two twenty-somethings and two teenagers be?), she wouldn't have it any other way.
 
 
She could hear footsteps and laughter coming from the front door - the girls were home. She'd ask them at dinner about the gala. For now, she just wanted to spend the next little while with her surrogate younger sisters - her family.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Okay, what do you think? There wasn't a whole lot of action in this chap. And looking back over it to format it for mm.org, I realized that it was probably a bit confusing.... But the plot and whatnot will start picking up in the next few chaps. Please review and lemme know what you think.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr