Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Little Dagger ❯ Beginnings ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi all!
 
 
Here's the second chap. Hope it's not too bad.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Little Dagger
 
 
Chapter 2 - Beginnings
 
 
Corin had prepared yet another delicious dinner and everyone was seated at the table, ready to eat. “So, Anzu,” said Anna; at one month shy of eighteen, she was the youngest of the group. “Did anything interesting happen today?”
 
 
Anzu swallowed the bite in her mouth, then answered. “Actually, something did.”
 
 
That got the attention of all four girls. “What?” they cried, at practically the same time. Anzu smiled. “We got an invitation to perform at a KaibaCorp gala.”
 
 
 
“What!” “Alright!” “Awesome!” “Nice!”
 
 
“The only catch is, we'd have to create and perfect a brand-new routine - and the gala is only three weeks away. Do we want to do this?” she asked of the girls.
 
 
Their response was a resounding “Yes!” that nearly knocked Anzu off her chair.
 
 
“I thought so,” said Anzu, laughing. “Then we'd better get started.”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
The next three weeks passed quickly for the five women at the Vailo School; between the dance lessons being given and practicing for the gala, their lives were packed full. Two days before the gala was to happen, Anzu called home to Domino or, to be more precise, to the Kame Game Shop.
 
 
“Moshi, moshi, Kame Game Shop, how may I help you?”
 
 
“Honda?” asked Anzu, a bit confused. “Is that you?”
 
 
“Anzu!” said Honda. “Hey, how're you doing? It's been a while.”
 
 
Anzu laughed slightly. “Yeah, it has. Hey, what are you doing there? I thought Yuugi was working the shop?”
 
 
“He is, but he left a few hours ago for some big shindig Kaiba's throwin' up your way and asked me to watch the shop for a few days while he was in New York.”
 
 
Anzu's heart leapt. Yuugi was coming here?! And he was going to be at the gala in two days?! “Wow, that's great. I guess I'll see him there, then.”
 
 
“You mean you're going?” he said, surprised.
 
 
“Hai,” she said, “My girls and I were invited to perform as part of the entertainment for the evening. My guess is that's more of Mokuba's doing than Seto's, though.”
 
 
“Your girls?” said Honda, evidently confused. “When did you have kids?”
 
 
At that, Anzu laughed. “Hah-hah, iie, they're not my children; they're students of mine that have gone to this school for five years, so they've practically grown up here. They're living here now, so I have a tendency to call them `my girls', even though the youngest is almost eighteen.”
 
 
“Wow,” he said, “That's amazing. Hey, if you call Yuugi on his cell, you might be able to catch before his plane takes off and tell him.”
 
 
“That's alright,” she said, “I think I might surprise him. Anyway, I should be going. My next class should be here in a few minutes.” They said their good-byes, and Anzu walked downstairs for her next class.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Finally the day of the gala arrived. Anzu canceled all classes that afternoon; she and the girls used the time to get ready. The girls got dressed in their usual pre-performance outfits - long, loose kimonos in their favorite colors: Moira's was in a deep green, Brittany's a dull metallic silver, Corin had on a pretty lavender one, and Anna's was a deep hot pink colored one.
 
 
Anzu had introduced them to the kimonos and they had quickly become the girls' favorite; once they changed into their costumes, the kimonos were easy to slip back on and allow the girls to move around somewhere other than backstage.
 
 
All four girls now stood outside of Anzu's room with their dufflebags containing their dance costumes, waiting for her to emerge. “Anzu,” called Brittany, “Come on! We're gonna be late!” As the words left her mouth, the door opened and the four girls were left speechless.
 
 
Anzu stood there, looking the best she had ever been, wearing a beautiful blue dress that matched her eyes. The girls had seen the dress before, having been with Anzu when she bought it and had agreed at the time that it was beautiful, but seeing it on Anzu herself - well, the overall effect was simply stunning.
 
 
The dress was sleeveless with a modestly low v-neck, a princess-cut waist, and it came down to her ankles in the back, but opened in the front in an arch that rose to almost her left knee. Matching silver jewelry, consisting of a simple silver `Y' necklace, pendant earrings, bangle bracelets, and a delicate anklet, completed the outfit.
 
 
“Whoa, Anzu…We've never seen you this dressed-up before,” said Corin, having recovered from the shock of Anzu's appearance first.
 
 
“Yeah,” piped up Brittany. “You look great!”
 
 
“Got someone to impress?” sniggered Anna, receiving an elbow in the side from her elder sister for that comment.
 
 
Anzu blushed at the question. “I-I don't even know if I'll even see him,” she said. “I mean, this gala is probably going to have hundreds of people at it; who am I to think I'll run into one solitary person?”
 
 
“Well,” said Moira. “Are you going to tell us or do we have to guess? And trust me, you don't want us to be guessing....”
 
 
Anzu grimaced; the last time Corin had a date with someone new, the guessing had gone for nearly a half-hour, and encompassed everyone in their school from the captain of the football team to the `detention king.'
 
 
“I'll tell you,” she said. A car horn sounded outside. “But on the way there - that's bound to be the car Mokuba sent for us.”
 
 
As they headed out of the studio, grabbing their wraps as they went, Anna spoke up. “Wait a sec, Anzu. You said `Mokuba.' So does that mean you know the second-in-command of KaibaCorp personally?”
 
 
“Yeah, I do,” said Anzu. “And, unfortunately, I know his older brother too.”
 
 
“Wow,” said Moira.
 
 
“That's cool,” said Brittany. “I mean, Seto Kaiba was the youngest CEO of a large corporation like KaibaCorp ever.” Conversation was paused as they got into the `car,' which turned out to be a limo. A big, black, stretch limo.
 
 
“So,” said Corin, as soon as the door had shut and they had sat down. “If you know the infamous Kaiba brothers, who else do you know?”
 
 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” said Moira. “Before you answer that, you have got to tell us who you're meeting! We have to approve of him, don't ya know?” She finished that last part somehow keeping a straight face.
 
 
“Well,” said Anzu, “I can answer the second question and start to answer the first at the same time. I'm meeting - or at least, I hope to see him there - Yuugi Motou.”
 
 
That statement left all four girls silent with their mouths wide open. Anzu couldn't help but laugh. “You can't keep your mouths open like that, you know. It doesn't become you.” The girls immediately shut their mouths, only to open them once again in a single question....
 
 
“YOU KNOW YUUGI MOTOU?!?!?!”
 
 
Anzu smiled. “Yes,” she said. “I grew up with him, actually. I know Jounouchi Katsuya, Mai Valentine, Mako Tsunami, Rebecca Hawkins, and unfortunately, I also know Rex Raptor, Weevil Underwood, and Maxiamillion Pegasus.”
 
 
Those names just threw her girls for a serious loop. They'd know Anzu for five years and they'd never found out anything about this.
 
 
“Whoa,” was all Anna could say.
 
 
“I think that's an understatement, sis,” said Moira, still trying to wrap her mind around it.
 
 
“Why didn't you tell us about all of this before, Anzu?” asked Corin.
 
 
“Yeah and how did you meet them?” added Brittany.
 
 
“Well, I didn't tell you because you didn't ask, and I met all of them mainly through Yuugi's tournaments,” said Anzu, looking out of the limo's window. “I went to every one, except for the last three, and those I watched on TV the whole time. But enough about that - we're here.”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Entering the building - a fancy dinner theatre that Kaiba had rented out for the evening - they found Mokuba waiting for them. He was now rivaling his older brother for height; his hair still as unruly as ever, only now it was pulled back in ponytail. Dressed in a tuxedo complete with bowtie, even Anzu had to admit - he looked good.
 
 
“Anzu!” he called, waving. “It's good to see you!”
 
 
“Same to you,” she said. Turning to the girls, she introduced them to Mokuba. She noticed with some amusement that he seemed to blush when she introduced Moira. Hmm, she thought. This could be interesting.
 
 
“W-why don't I show you to the dressing rooms where you can get ready?” said Mokuba, stuttering slightly out of nervousness.
 
 
“Sure,” said Anzu, following him with her girls in tow.
 
 
Opening the door to the dressing room, Mokuba ushered them in.
 
 
“Here it is. I had some drinks and snacks put in here earlier, in case you needed something to hold you until the actual dinner, since that won't be until about eight or so.”
 
 
“Thanks,” said Moira, looking right at him. Mokuba blushed, again.
 
 
“Uh, there're a couple of things I need to tell you. First off, the actual event is at six, but you can mingle with the people who get here early until about ten `til; then you need to be back here and get last-minute prep out of the way. My brother will introduce the gala, then have you perform just before dinner. It's about five now, so you have about fifty minutes to get ready; I assume that will do?”
 
 
“Hai, that's fine, Mokuba,” said Anzu, deciding to spare him the embarrassment of blushing again by answering instead of Moira.
 
 
“It never takes us long to get ready; our costumes aren't very elaborate so that people will focus on us, not on the costume,” said Corin.
 
 
“That's a neat idea,” said Mokuba. “Well, I'll get out of here so you can get started.”
 
 
He left, just as he said, but not before he stole another look at Moira. She's really pretty, he thought, and shut the door.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
 
A quick explanation first -you know how every school has that one kid who is always in detention - or the equivalent? That was the `detention king' that they guessed Corinwas dating.
 
 
The original thought was to get the gala in with this chap, but my mind changed. That's the next chap. As is Yuugi!!! Anyway, I have just a couple of quick lists to help clarify things, then I'm out.
 
 
This list is a quick run-down of Japanese-to-English words/names I've used:
 
 
Anzu = Téa
Jounouchi = Joey
Yuugi = Yugi
Honda = Tristan
Surogoku= Solomon
Shizuka = Serenity
Moshi moshi = a way of saying `hello' when answering the phone
Hai = yes, or an affirmative
Iie = no, or a negative
 
 
And here's the second list - a set-upof pairings. BTW - If you're only reading this for a dose of yaoi - leave now, because there will be NO YAOI whatsoever in this fic. I am so sick and tired of having to wade through all of the freakin' yaoi fics to get to any hetero ones! Whew…sorry....
 
 
Yuugi/Anzu
Jou/Mai
Honda/Shizuka
Mokuba/Moira
 
 
Oh, and one more thing - the dance school's name, `Vailo,' comes from the card Maha Vailo. In the Duelist Kingdom episode where Mai and Anzu battle each other, Anzu has a flashback of Yuugi saying that Maha Vailo is the card that is most like him.
 
 
YoukaiLuvr