Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ The Truth Hurts ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hikarigirl18: Yes, thank you for the head's up about Yami's OOC. I did recognize I was doing it though because I wanted a change of pace since I realized that I was always making Yugi's character different so I wanted to try it out with Yami. Sorry about the confusion if there was any. Just wanted to let you know, but thank you still for pointing it out.

~~

The rest of the weekend passed by in a breeze and before the two boys realized it, it was over. Yugi packed his night bag and was just about to head back for he game shop alone since Yami wanted to be at the house when his parents arrived back. Yami followed him out to the driveway silently.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay a little longer, Yugi? You know my parents wanted to talk to you about something."

"Thanks, but no thanks, Yami. I don't want to be rude or anything but I'm not exactly in the best of moods with your parents at the moment, even with the weekend without having to worry about them and cool off. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to come over and see them if they still want to."

"I'm sure they will. As you know, they're pretty persistent."

"Yes, I know."

They said their goodbyes and gave a quick kiss before Yugi waved and headed down the street. Not long after he disappeared around the corner a car appeared around the corner from down the street and pulled into the driveway.

"Hi, Yami, we missed you." His mother squealed as she jumped from the car and gave him a hug. Since it was the usual greeting, Yami just ignored it and hugged her back until she released him.

His dad then clapped him on the back in a silent greeting before moving around to the trunk and pulling out their bags. "Where's Yugi?"

"On his way home." Yami said before turning and heading back into the house, his dad followed.

"Didn't you tell him that we wanted to apologize?"

"Yes." Yami fell back on the couch and sprawled out, turning on the TV. He hadn't wanted to get in a fight with his parents when they had only just arrived but they were pushing it if they were going to bug him about this now. He couldn't blame Yugi when he felt the same way towards his parents at the moment. They had treated him terribly and didn't bother waiting for them to return the day they left.

"Then why didn't he stay?"

Yami shrugged, not wanting to lie but not wanting to tell the truth either. It was bad enough they didn't like Yugi for reasons he didn't think he'd ever understand.

"Did you just wake up this morning with him already gone then?"

"No."

"Then you saw him off?"

"Yes."

"And he didn't tell you why he wasn't staying? Is he that disrespectful?"

Yami's line had snapped so fast that he didn't even begin to think about the worry laced in with his father's voice. He jumped up from the couch and glared at the man and the woman. "Don't you ever say something so wrong about Yugi in front of me again! You're lucky I even decided to wait for you and I don't blame Yugi one bit for the reason he left the way you treated him the day you left! I wish I had gone with him if all you're going to do is interrogate me about him and insult him!"

"Yami, I -"

"Save it, I don't want to hear it!"

"We didn't mean it like that, Yami. If only you knew what we were going through with Yugi than you'd understand."

"Suzi!"

"No, Robby; we have to tell him now. We can't keep this a secret forever; it has to be done."

"What does?" Yami ground out, wanting desperately to leave, knowing that nothing good could come of this, and also wanting to stay, wanting to know why they treated Yugi so unfairly.

His father sighed and nodded. "Very well; you're right. We shouldn't have held this out for so long. Come with us, Yami."

Slowly, hesitantly, Yami followed his parents into their study and watched in silence as they sifted through a few file cabinets and different folders before they pulled one out, looked at it, and shared a sad glance at each other before nodding. His mother handed him the folded and waited quietly with her husband.

Not wanting to, but wanting to at the same time, Yami opened the folder and saw his birth certificate. He picked it up and stepped back in surprise when an identical looking piece of paper fell out from underneath and glided gently through the air until it touched the floor innocently.

If Yami had only known how that one piece of paper would turn everything around on his wonderful life. He knelt and picked it up, glancing at the name and wondering why there was a second birth certificate. He gasped and let it drop to the floor as if it had burned him. `Yugi Jikiro' was written in neat calligraphy along the dotted line labeled name.

Disbelief and mistrust flashed across his face as well as betrayal before full out denial settled in. He glared accusingly up at his parents. "You think this," he pointed, not wanting to pick it up, "is my Yugi?" His parents nodded, his tears in his mother's eyes.
"What do you take me for? Some kind of an idiot?"

"Yami, that is your brother, your twin brother whom you were separated with as a week old. We weren't living right and could barely feed you as it was. It was a miracle you two were even bore as healthy as most, let alone born at all." His mother explained to him.

"No," Yami shook his head back and forth slowly in contradiction. "It's not true; it can't be!"

"Didn't you ever wonder about how and why you looked the same when you two met? About how your interests were always almost exactly the same as each other's; about anything at all?" His father interjected.

"But it's not true! This is my Yugi; I love my Yugi and you're calling him some twin brother of mine who suddenly appears out of nowhere. Why didn't you tell me this before? Why wait until I'm in high school to ever mention that I had a brother out there somewhere!?"

"Because we were ashamed, Yami," his mother shouted through her tears, yelling more at herself than anything. "We were ashamed at how we were given the chance to keep Yami and we weren't able to fulfill those needs! Ashamed that people gave up so many things to turn up with nothing when we couldn't give it to them! We were lucky to be able to keep you when we did!"

"So were you ashamed of myself as well?! Was it every time you looked at me as I was growing up that you also saw Yugi and were too ashamed of yourselves to admit it to me!"

"Never, Yami." His father told him sternly, even with his misery written plainly on his face. "We would never think that of you. We did feel terrible pain and heartache the first few years every time we saw you but we soon came over it."

"So you just forgot about him then?" Yami accused.

"We could never do that! That's why we had them make a copy of his birth certificate so we could keep the real one. We wanted the actual proof that Yugi was real and that he was somewhere out there."

"And then you came told us you'd met the perfect person for yourself. You were so excited about it and we couldn't wait to me him. When we first saw him we didn't want to belief it was truth either. Then we knew, after weeks of denial and lies to ourselves we knew it really was our Yugi that we had lost. But you two fell in love with each other and we thought we could handle it, but we couldn't!" His mother told him, finishing it off loudly.

"You're - you're just trying to get me to leave him; you want me to break up with him and ruin everything we had." Yami said more quietly, more in a whisper, as tears came to his eyes and leaked silently down flushed cheeks. "You were going to tell him, weren't you? If he had stayed behind like you asked you were going to tell him who he really was, weren't you?" He accused, still whispering quietly and chokingly through his tears that were now coming as rivers.

Silently, and soon regrettably, the two adults nodded. They cringed as the office door slammed as their son fled from the room, dropping all contents in his hands to the floor as he did. It wasn't but a few seconds later when the front door slammed shut as well.

The two parents couldn't bring themselves to go after him when they knew where he was running to the second he left the room. They only hoped things would be easier with Yugi if they had to end up telling him when Yami most likely wouldn't.

~~

Yami ran blindly through the streets, his mind not registering where to go while his feet carried him to where his heart wanted to be. He stopped, gasping for breath, minutes later in front of the Kami Game Shop.

He hurried around to the back and pounded at the door, needing desperately to see Yugi; to know that he wouldn't leave him for reasons that couldn't be true.

Yugi opened the door slowly, peeking out through a crack in the door in case it was some weirdo at the door. Seeing Yami with tears streaming down his cheeks he quickly opened the door and led him inside.

"Grandpa, I'm going to be in my room!" He called to the front of the shop before quickly leading Yami up the stairs and closing his door shut quietly. He pulled Yami by his hand until they were seated on the bed, Yami practically sitting in the younger's lap and soaking his shirt with his tears as he cried fitfully into Yugi's chest. Unknowing of what else he could do to calm his love, Yugi pat his back comfortingly and whispered sweet words into the air so Yami would know he was there for him.

"Don't worry, my love. Everything will be okay; I promise. Whatever's wrong you can tell me and I'll do my best to make your troubles go away."

If Yami were thinking coherently he probably would've snorted at that, but instead his chest clenched painfully and more tears burst from his eyes as he tighter to Yugi's shirt.

It seemed like hours before the crying upset had ceased to exist and Yami was just a ball of emotional exhaust. He was half asleep still curled partly on Yugi's lap. No more tears were falling and the only sound that could be heard were Yami's soft breathing as his reflexes tried telling him to sleep off his pain.

Yugi glanced over to the clock and then out the window. "It's getting late, love." Yugi whispered just loud enough to be heard.

Yami's only response was snuggling closer to Yami and a small sigh of comfort coming from his parted lips. His eyes were red rimmed and his cheeks were flushed a deep red from how hard he'd been crying.

Shaking his head, Yugi remained silent and continued to sweep his hands gently across Yami's back, closing his eyes in contentment and just let the silence of the room over come him. He himself was nearly asleep when the sound of his door opening creaked and he opened his eyes after hearing a small gasp from the entryway.

"Yugi, what-what happened to him?" Solomon questioned, his voice laced with concern.

"I don't know," Yugi whispered back. "He showed up crying and we've been up here for a couple of hours at the least; I'm not sure when he arrived. He finally calmed down about half an hour ago and he's starting to go to sleep."

The old man nodded. "I'll bring up some hot chocolate; it always helped settled you down when you cried."

"Thanks, grandpa." Yugi whispered as the old man closed the bedroom door behind him.

Yami whimpered slightly and moved closer into him, causing a small smile to come to Yugi's lips. He leant down to the sleeping one's ear and whispered, "I love you, Yami. I'll love you forever."

The softly spoken words brought a ghost of a smile to Yami's lips as well and he mumbled out, "I'll love you always, Yugi."

A few minutes later, Solomon returned with two mugs of steaming hot chocolate and set them down on the side table next to the bed.

"Thanks, grandpa." Yugi smiled up at the old man. Solomon returned the smile and left the boys alone once more.

"Yami?" Yugi shook his shoulder gently to stir him from his light slumber. "Yami, there's hot chocolate; it'll make you feel better."

Red eyes blinked once, twice, and then focused lazily up at Yugi. "Hmm?" He mumbled sleepily.

"There's hot chocolate for you." Yugi repeated gently.

Yami sat up just slightly and glanced over to where he was looking.

"It'll make you feel better; it always helps me."

Yami nodded and sat up on the bed and took the offered cup Yugi handed to him. He watched Yugi take a sip of his before taking some from his own.

He put the cup aside after finishing half of it and looked down at his hands resting in his lap. Surprisingly he did feel a little better after the warm drink but something was still missing. He looked up at Yugi and noticed foam from the hot chocolate smudged across Yugi's upper lip. He leant forward and kissed it off before taking Yugi's lips underneath his own. Something inside of Yami's chest swelled at having Yugi with him like this and he pushed forward more forcefully.

Yugi was surprised by Yami's sudden pushiness to kiss him, but let the older have his way. After all, if it made Yami feel better over whatever it was that had upset him as bad as it did, then he would do anything to bring back his Yami.

Forceful hands pushed up Yugi's shirt, causing the youth to gasp and Yami's tongue to push in, the hands rubbing harshly up and down his sides. When he felt the material being pushed up, however, he pushed Yami away and put a small distance between them. "Yami," he gasped, his eyes demanding answers.

"I-I'm sorry, Yugi, forgive me. I didn't know what was doing. I mean I - I don't know how to explain it. When I'm with you all my problems go away."

"Yami, I only left you a half an hour before you came over. What could have possibly happened to get you so upset in such a small amount of time?"

"More than you think." Yami mumbled more to himself than to Yugi.

"Like what?"

Yami quickly shook his head and looked away. "It's nothing; not important at all, just forget it. I have to get home." He rushed out in one breath.

Yugi did want to know what had upset his Yami, but he also didn't want to push him into telling. "All right then," he replied hesitantly. "I'll walk you out."

Yami nodded and allowed Yugi to take his hand and lead him downstairs, his fingers unconsciously tightening around the smaller hand on the way down.

"Call me when you get home?" Yugi requested.

"Okay." Yami answered quietly.

Just as Yugi was about to close the door behind Yami he asked, "Will you ever tell me what it was that got you so upset?"

Yami's eyes widened and he glanced at the ground, around the small alley where the back door was, anywhere but at Yugi. He knew he'd have to tell eventually, but he just wasn't ready to lose his…no, their happiness. `I don't even know if Yugi would be okay with it…No! We're not twins, we're not brothers, we're not related by blood at all! We love each other and we always will. We'll grow up together and go to college with each other, we'll adopt children after we settle down in the home life and I won't give any of that up until Yugi says he's had enough!' Yami nodded, though he didn't have any intention of telling him the real reason. He'd come up with a suitable reason and tell Yugi maybe by the end of the week to stop him from worrying.

~~

Yami went home that night and refused to talk or even look at his parents. He immediately went to his bedroom and looked over at a picture of himself and Yugi a little while after they'd gotten together, holding each other tightly. Yugi had signed it at the bottom with "Love You Forever, Yugi" in his neat, curvy handwriting.

Tears made their way to Yami's eyes but he forced them back long enough to call Yugi and let him know he'd made it home safely. After saying goodbyes, Yami finally let his tears fall. He cried himself to sleep all the while thinking to himself that Yugi wouldn't want to be with him after he found out the truth.