Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ Accidents Happen ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yugi sat groggily on his bed, his history book open on his lap with his homework worksheet sitting half done next to him. He wanted to finish it, but he couldn't. He was much too tired and, more importantly, he was worried about Yami. His boyfriend hadn't been to school at all that week and it was Thursday. He hadn't been able to sleep very well with the concern flooding through his veins over what could have disturbed Yami to cry uncontrollably as he did.

He closed his textbook and slid it onto the floor along with his homework, resolving that he'd finish it later. Then teen lay down on his bed and pulled his throw blanket over him, needing to get a few hours of sleep before he collapsed of pure exhaustion. When he woke a couple hours later he definitely felt a little better, minus the troubling dream he'd had of something terrible happening to Yami and him. `It's still early enough. I can go over and see if he's going to be okay; I should've done that the day after he came to me. What if something bad happened to him?' He slid from his bed and cleaned up a little bit before heading downstairs.

"Grandpa?"

"In here, Yugi," his grandpa called from the game shop. "I'm just putting the last of the things away before I'm done."

"I need to go over to Yami's."

The old man looked at him worriedly. "Did something happen?"

"He hasn't been in school all weak and I'm concerned for him. I just want to make sure."

Solomon thought for a second before nodding. "Okay, be careful, Yugi. It's getting late and I we're supposed to get some snow a little later."

"I won't grandpa; I'm just need to see him." Yugi called back from the hall, taking out a heavy coat and gloves.

After yelling back a goodbye from the backdoor Yugi hurried out of the alley and down the sidewalk at a quick pace. He may have had warm clothing on, but it would only be a matter of time before the cold started biting away at him and he rather be close to his destination before that happened.

He sighed in relief as his arms came around him to warm him further from the chill that had started just minutes ago. Yami's house was now in his sight and he tried to speed up to bring more feeling into his legs and arms. He all but ran across the driveway up to the door, knocking a few times before standing back.

Yugi was about to knock again after a minute when the door opened and Mrs. Jikiro appeared in the doorway.

"Goodness, Yugi, what are you doing out in this weather; you must be freezing!" She hurriedly opened the screen door and bustled in the teen before closing the door again. "Sweetheart, get me a thick blanket, will you?"

"Alright!" It was another minute before Mr. Jikiro came into the living room when he was surprised to see Yugi shivering in his regular clothes, his wife having taken off his slightly wet jacket and gloves. "Oh! If I had known I would've been faster." He quickly wrapped the blanket around his youngest twin's shoulders and rubbed up and down his arms to bring feeling back into them.

"Th-thank y-you," Yugi stuttered with gratefulness. "I-I tried t-to hu-hurry here, b-b-but I j-just wasn't f-f-fat eno-enough."

"Shh, don't worry; we'll warm you up." Mrs. Jikiro told him. "Honey, could you make a fire. I'll get some hot chocolate for you, Yugi." The two adults hurried away, Mrs. Jikiro to the kitchen and Mr. Jikiro to the woodshed outside.

Minutes later the teen had shed the blanket around him and was sipping slowly at the hot chocolate beside the fire.

"Tell me, dear," Mrs. Jikiro started when the teen was comfortable. "Why did you come all the way up here in this weather? Surely you knew that there's supposed to be snow?"

Yugi nodded. "Yes, I knew, but I had to see Yami. He was very upset when he came to my house Monday night only minutes after you had returned from your business trip. I was worried when he didn't come to school the next day. I should've come sooner to see how he was, but I kept brushing it off."

The two adults exchanged knowing looks. "He's taking it very hard. I imagine you must be two, but we're glad and relieved to see that you're taking it very well and aren't trying to avoid Yami. We were afraid that it would ruin your relationship with him, but we're glad to see you still love him."

Confusion was spread completely over Yugi's face as he looked back and forth from one Jikiro to the other. "What are you talking about?" He finally settled on.

"About why Yami was upset, honey. We're happy it's out in the open now; I'll admit it was getting harder and harder for me to see you without you knowing the truth."

"I still have no idea what you're on about. Yami came to me crying and upset, yes, but he never told me what happened."

Mrs. Jikiro gasped and Mr. Jikiro's eyes widened in disbelief. "You mean he didn't tell you anything?"

"That's right. So what happened to him; it's obvious that you know."

The adults once again exchanged glances, though this time much more filled with concern.

"Oh dear." The woman whispered with despair.

"I agree."

"Perhaps we should move this to the kitchen. If Yami's anything to go, you'll want something a bit more sturdy than a couch to sit on when we tell you."

Yugi nodded and stood, following his parents-in-secret to the next room to hear about what's going on.

~~

Red-rimmed eyes blinked open in exhaustion. Murmuring voices from down the hall had awoken him from his troubled sleep and he had the most awful of pain and clenching in his chest. He brushed it off, thinking it was because he hadn't seen Yugi all week since that one Monday night.

`Yugi… I need to see him again.' Yami determined tiredly. He stood in his pajamas and pulled a blanket around him to block out the everlasting cold that seemed to follow him around ever since he'd returned from Yugi's that night.

He remembered it clearly. He came back into the house feeling only slightly better. It had been a freezing walk back to the house so his cheeks were flushed a bright pink, taking the attention of his red-rimmed eyes greatly. He hadn't said a word to his parents and hadn't all week either. When he had gone to bed, however, a deep depression hit him and he couldn't find it in himself to see Yugi, feeling ashamed of himself for reasons even unknown to him. He had barely moved from his bed, except to go to the bathroom and a small something to eat when he was sure his parents weren't in the house.

Yami opened his door quietly so as to not alert his parents and whatever guest(s) that were in the house of his appearance. He tiptoed towards where the voices were, unable to help his curiosity of who it was and somehow he felt drawn to the kitchen even if he didn't really want to be seen by anyone. One voice asked a whisper of a question, but it was enough to know who it was. `Yugi's here!' He was just about to step in the kitchen when he was stopped in his tracks by something he wished to never have said aloud again.

"It's not true! It can't be true; we're not twins no matter what you say!" A chair clattered to the kitchen floor and the less than second later a blur of Yugi ran past and out the door, tears spilling out of his eyes and cascading down in waterfalls along his cheeks.

It didn't take Yami long to make his own presence known, anger radiating off him in near visible waves. "What the hell did you do!?!" He demanded.

His parents looked guiltily down the floor and simultaneously whispered in choked voice, "We told him the truth."

"What?! No! I was going to do it when I was ready! You've ruined everything; just stay out of everyone's business and everyone would be a lot happier!" He turned on his heel and flashed out the door before his parents could even have the time to look up at him in shock at his harsh and cruel words.

~~

Yami dashed down the street to the park, knowing Yugi went there whenever he was upset and didn't want his grandpa to see him crying. Snow was pilfering, making it almost impossible to see five feet in front of you. It had already covered the streets and sidewalk completely in the hours it must've been coming down. Yami ignored the immediate chill that came over him as soon as he reached the end of the driveway.

He ended up going through the small wilderness with the only sign Yugi had been through the footprints, and even then Yami wasn't sure if they're were his….

The red-eyed teen skid to a halt at the thought. `What is Yugi to me now? Is he still my boyfriend? A brother; my twin? Both?'

A screech of tired and insistent honking broke through his worrying thoughts and a cry of pain and he hurried the rest of the way from the park. What he saw wished he hadn't even come out of his room that day. His head was moving left to right, not wanting to believe what he was seeing.

The driver of the car, after getting over the sudden shock, clambered out of their car and to the unmoving form of Yugi sitting feet away from where the car had come to a sudden stop too late. A puddle of blood surrounded the teen, coming mostly from his arms and probably the back of his head, ribs seemed to be sticking up in an abnormal position, and, which startled Yami the most, was the fact that he didn't seem to be breathing.

Words escaped the red-eyed teen and soon he settled for shouting Yugi's name and running over to kneel beside his… no he won't think about that right now. Not while Yugi was in such a state.

"Do you know him?"

Yami nodded, not wanting to say how since his mind seemed to want to stay in a state on confusion.

"He looks pretty bad," the man said. "He needs to get to a hospital.

Yami nodded again and proceeded to pick the younger up, intent on carrying him if need be.

A few feet down the street the man called back to him. "Please, it's the least I can do! Let me take you to the hospital!"

Yami hesitated before nodding, rushing as carefully as he could back to the car.

The second they arrived Yami was forced to let go of the younger teen to the doctors. He thanks the driver profusely before he hurried over to the phones to call Yugi's grandpa. Afterwards, with nothing else to do or occupy his mind, burning tears streaked down Yami's cheeks on dropped to the brightly polished floor.