Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know the first chapter was pretty short, but hopefully this will be longer…
 
CHALLENGE report: Unfortunately, there were nobody guessed the true identity of the computer hacker or Delano Vadin. I will, however, reward my two reviewers, journey maker from FF.net and Inch Girl from MM.org with the prize intended for the winners. The aforementioned two reviewers may leave the information requested in Chapter 1 in their next review. :)
 
These remaining chapters will plant the seeds for revealing the identity of these mystery characters.
 
Perspective Note: I think I'll skip the whole “Seto Kaiba's Point of View” part at the beginning of each chapter since this whole story will be from his point of view, and it's pretty redundant to type that every time.
 
Warning: Cussing. Kaiba is in a “heightened state of agitation.” :)
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Mobile
 
-
 
Chapter II
 
-
 
I don't know why I left Domino in the first place. After I replaced my staff, things generally went rather smoothly; problems were rare. In fact, neither Mokuba nor I were required to visit at any point in the past fifteen years. That's how I knew the current situation in Domino was big.
 
I probably could have made Domino the main headquarters for Kaiba Corporation. But any idiot with half of a brain could figure out that New York City would be much more convenient for business.
 
I sat at my desk, my impatient fingers flying across the keyboard.
 
I discovered that the computer crash was indeed the result of a virus. It seems that the virus was intended to infect only KaibaCorp computers, specifically in Domino. It was a lot more specific than most viruses I've encountered. There have been countless attempts to crash the KaibaCorp mainframe, but none succeeded in bringing down the entire network. That's because I designed the computers so that even if a single computer gets infected, it shouldn't spread to others.
 
But this person…whoever set off the virus knew what he was doing. He knew enough about how the computers were built to bypass my security precautions and infect an entire sector of my company.
 
I just hope I don't have another Big 5 on my hands…though the members of the original Big 5 weren't smart enough to pull something like this.
 
Either way, I'm going to figure out who did this. Nobody messes with Seto Kaiba and gets away with it
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
This seems to be one of those cases where fixing the problem could help me find out who the culprit is, or discovering who the culprit is will help me fix the problem.
 
I've spent two days in my office working on my desktop, but I can't seem to figure out how to resolve the system crash in the Domino sector. It's extremely frustrating. I can't even get the command prompt to show. It's basically a blank screen every time a boot the computer. I've tried every kind of keyboard command I know, but nothing works.
 
All I know is that none of the computers in Domino work, yet every other KaibaCorp computer in the entire world is working fine. As a result, my Domino employees can't do their job.
 
I sighed. This was going to be another very long day.
 
The phone rang. It was an irritating sound, piercing my skull. “What?” I snapped.
 
“Hey, Big Brother!” Mokuba greeted me cheerfully.
 
“I'm sorry,” I apologized immediately, feeling a wave of guilt wash over me.
 
“For what?”
 
“I didn't mean to snap at you,” I explained.
 
“Don't worry. I was calling to see how things were coming along. I guess not good, by the sounds of it.”
 
“Not well,” I corrected him. I hated it when he used improper grammar. It made him sound uneducated.
 
“Listen, why don't you take a break and go visit your friends? I told Yugi you'd drop by sometime today. I figured you'd need to get out and get some fresh air.”
 
“Yugi is not my friend,” I insisted.
 
“Still,” Mokuba continued, “Yugi would be thrilled to see you. You haven't spoken to him in over fifteen years.”
 
“I have nothing to say to him.”
 
“You can ask questions, then,” Mokuba resolved. “Listen to his life's story, for all I care. Just go visit him. I promised you would.”
 
The thought of listening to Yugi's pathetic life story was revolting. I couldn't afford to spend hours listening to fairy tales about magic and Pharaohs.
 
“You shouldn't go making promises for other people, Mokuba,” I reprimanded. I didn't need to be tied up doing things that were a waste of time.
 
“It's for your own good, Seto. You need to get out more.”
 
“I don't have time. I'm extremely busy trying to crack this virus.”
 
“Quit rationalizing,” he ordered. Since when did he get buddy-buddy with Freud? “Listen, Seto, I have to get back to work. You better go pay a good, long visit to Yugi right now before I fly over to Domino myself and drag you there.”
 
“Very well,” I acceded, knowing Mokuba would be ready to back up his threat if he somehow found out that I didn't visit Yugi. And it's not like I could bribe that goody-goody to tell my brother that I'd visited. “Goodbye, Mokuba.”
 
“'Bye, Seto!”
 
As I replaced the phone on the receiver, I stood from my desk and grabbed my trench coat. My white one was dirty, so I put on my black one. I completely abandoned my purple trench coats when I realized fifteen years ago that they looked unprofessional. Besides, black was more intimidating.
 
I drove myself to the Kame Game Shop in my Mitsubishi Lancer. For these occasions, I avoided driving in anything overly flashy. I preferred something more discreet.
 
When I entered the Kame Game Shop, I saw Yugi sitting on the counter, speaking to a man with platinum blond hair. When the other man turned around, I immediately recognized him.
 
It was Delano Vadin.
 
“You!” I shouted angrily, pointing at Yugi. “And him!” My finger quickly shifted to Vadin's chest.
 
“Hi, Kaiba!” Yugi chirped. He looked from me to Vadin. “Have you already met Delano?”
 
My hand dropped to my side as soon as I realized how idiotic I must have appeared. “Not officially, no,” I replied coldly. I put out a stiff hand. “Seto Kaiba.”
 
Delano took my hand gracefully, but his grip was firm. “I'm afraid I don't like the goth look, Kaiba,” he commented, his lips curling into a smirk.
 
What an insolent brat! Does he have any idea who he's talking to?
 
“I am not gothic!” I retorted, feeling anger rise within me. I will not lose my cool in front of a rookie!
 
“True,” he agreed. “You just forgot to put on the black eye makeup.”
 
Just as I was about to tell him that he'd get his ass fried talking like that in the business world, I looked into his eyes for the first time.
 
His eyes were violet.
 
They were the kind of eyes that seemed to hold infinite wisdom, ones that were omnipotent, all-seeing and all-knowing.
 
I felt like I knew them from somewhere.
 
“Who are you?” I wondered, awed.
 
Yugi giggled. “We already told you. His name is Delano Vadin.”
 
“Perhaps you recognize me from television or some form of mass media,” Vadin remarked.
 
“Whatever,” I grunted. I turned to Yugi. “My brother told you I was stopping by today, I presume?”
 
“Yes, he did,” Yugi responded cheerfully. “I thought it would be the perfect time to introduce you to Delano.”
 
“Do you have to become buddies with everyone you duel, Yugi?” I asked harshly. “Duel Monsters isn't about having fun or meeting friends. It's about crushing your opponents to get to the top. It's about having power over everyone who is below you.”
 
Yugi began to whimper, and already I could see tears filling his eyes. “Kaiba, that's not true…”
 
Vadin took a step towards me. “Kaiba, that was uncalled for.”
 
“Listen, Vadin, I've known Yugi for over fifteen years, and what he needs is a reality check. Since all of his little friends live in the same perfect world, they're not going to knock any sense into him.” I shrugged, a smirk sliding into place. “I guess that leaves me.”
 
“Do you truly believe that you should be on top, Kaiba?” Vadin inquired.
 
“I don't believe it. I know it!”
 
“I'm the reigning Duel Monsters Champion. If you want to be on top, you'll have to beat me first.”
 
“Is that a challenge?” I sneered.
 
“Not for me.”
 
“We'll see about that. Get out your deck and duel me, unless you're too scared.”
 
Vadin pulled out his deck. “I'm ready when you are.”
 
“We'll duel on one condition,” I insisted. “We go to my mansion and duel using the prototype for my latest stationary virtual technology. My portable DuelDisc technology is already in state-of-the-art condition, but the stationary technology needs testing before I can begin upgrading at Kaiba Land.”
 
Vadin eyed me suspiciously. “Is it safe?”
 
“Do you think I'm foolish enough to test something that wasn't safe?” I demanded.
 
“Never mind.” He turned to Yugi. “Yugi, will you be all right?”
 
Yugi sniffed. “I'll be fine. You go. Have fun.”
 
“Thanks for lunch.”
 
“No problem. 'Bye, Kaiba!”
 
I merely grunted before exiting the Kame Game Shop, Delano Vadin following closely behind.
 
-
 
It's time now to turn around
 
Turn my back on everything
 
Turn my back on everything…
 
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
So that's it…next chapter, Kaiba and Delano have a heated duel. (Talk about triple entendre…in future chapters. :) )
 
Wow, I just realized that “on top” has a connotation…and I'm writing this about a half year after I wrote the chapter, lol.
 
Please Review!! I'd love to know what you think of my story so far!