Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile ❯ Chapter III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mobile
 
-
 
Chapter III
 
-
 
“Why is it so important to you to be the number one duelist in the world, Kaiba?” Delano asked me.
 
“I'm beginning to wonder why it seems to be your life's mission to piss me off,” I retorted.
 
“You know, `the best defense is a good offense' ideology doesn't work on everyone.”
 
“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”
 
“It means that verbally attacking me isn't going to prevent me from asking questions or getting answers.”
 
“If you keep asking questions, you're wasting your breath,” I told him. “Nothing you say will compel me to respond.”
 
“That's not true. As long as we're having this conversation, you are responding to what I say.”
 
“It's not like you're learning anything useful,” I sneered, “except that I don't tolerate rookies like you asking questions you have no business asking.”
 
“So you wouldn't mind experts asking you the same questions?”
 
“There's only one person on this planet who deserves answers. He is the only person I recognize as a rival…he is the only one besides myself that has true pride.”
 
“And who is that, Kaiba?”
 
“It doesn't matter,” I said sharply. “This conversation is over.”
 
If Delano thinks his stupid mind games are going to work on me, he's in for disappointment…even if I did slip information about my only rival. It's not like he knows anything about the other Yugi. The other Yugi is dead. He doesn't exist. Even if Delano thinks he can put two and two together, he'll mistakenly believe I'm referring to the Yugi Mutou he knows.
 
A smirk crept onto my face. If anything, I've completely misled Delano from my REAL thoughts.
 
“How is business at KaibaLand?”
 
My gaze snapped back to the platinum-haired blonde, who was already positioning himself on the opposite side of the new duel arena. Just seconds ago this guy was bugging me about my desire to be the number one duelist in the world and my refusal to answer his questions. Now he's asking me about my business. I wasn't sure if I was more surprised by the dramatic shift in conversation or by his persistence in asking questions.
 
“Business is flourishing as usual.”
 
“Of course. A silly question to ask.”
 
“Then why did you ask?”
 
Delano paused. “I don't know,” he replied thoughtfully. “But perhaps our duel will reveal the answer.”
 
“Let's duel, then,” I suggested, smiling wryly.
 
For some reason, the situation felt vaguely familiar, yet at the same time, something about it seemed out of place. The silence that succeeded that point was unnerving. The only comments we made were those concerning the cards we played.
 
Five turns into the duel, I had drawn my first Blue-Eyes White Dragon. It was surreal seeing it in my hand again, for I hadn't played my Blue-Eyes White Dragon since my duel with Other Yugi at Alcatraz. In fact, I hadn't dueled anyone since the Battle City Finals. Why was I even bothering to duel this rookie? The only person in the world that I wanted to duel was gone, yet I carried my deck with me at all times, as if I'd run into him again someday. Now I was wasting my time dueling some cheap newbie.
 
“Kaiba, it's your move.”
 
My consciousness jerked back to reality. “I play…the Blue-Eyes White Dragon.”
 
Delano's eyes widened a little. A ghostly smile appeared on his face. “I wondered when I'd be seeing that card again.”
 
My eyebrow raised. “`Again'?” I repeated.
 
Delano seemed taken aback. “Well…I read about it all the time in Duelist's Monthly magazine. You own the only three existing Blue-Eyes White Dragons, don't you?”
 
“That is correct.”
 
“It's truly remarkable to see them with my own eyes.”
 
“It'll be remarkable if you can defeat it,” I snorted.
 
Delano quirked an eyebrow, a smirk forming at his lips. “You don't think I can beat it?”
 
“Only one person has been able to successfully defeat my Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Unfortunately for you, you're not that person.”
 
“We'll see about that.”
 
In the next five turns, I had polymerized my three Blue-Eyes White Dragons into the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon. “There's no way you can win,” I told Delano. “Just give up. On the next turn, your Swords of Revealing Light will wear out, and my Ultimate Dragon will annihilate you.” All he had on his field were four weakling magicians, which I planned to wipe out with my Raigeki card as soon as the Swords faded.
 
“Kaiba…I win.”
 
“What?!” I exclaimed. “That's impossible!”
 
“I fuse together my Magician of Fire, Magician of Water, Magician of Air, Magician of Light, and Magician of Darkness to form the Elemental Magician, with attack power of 5000.”
 
“Delano, I have 1000 life points left. Even the 500 attack point difference isn't enough to wipe me out.”
 
“My magician has a special ability—for every fusion monster it destroys, two hundred points are deducted for each monster utilized in the original fusion. That means you lose six hundred additional life points.”
 
“But—how—” I lost to a bunch of weakling monsters!
 
“Even weak cards can join together and create enough power to defeat a seemingly unstoppable monster. Your Blue-Eyes are formidable, and even more so when combined. But they are not invincible.”
 
I gaped at him. His words…he sounded so much like—
 
“I have to go,” I announced briskly. “I have work to do. I'll have Roland find a limo to take you back to your place. Farewell.”
 
“Hold on, Kaiba.” Delano rushed in front of me, blocking my path. “Is something wrong?” His eyes met mine.
 
I hated his eyes. They pierced through my heart, like they knew something I didn't. And I hated it when people knew something I didn't know.
 
“Everything's fine!” I snapped. “Just go home, Delano.”
 
I stepped beside him and made my way out of the room. But I could still feel his eyes on me.
 
They were burning a hole through me.
 
-
 
Everything's changing
 
When I turn around,
 
All out of my control,
 
I'm a mobile
 
-