Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Promise ❯ Teenage Saga: And the trip goes on ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

23 Teenage Saga: And the trip goes on
Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh isn't mine blablabla, thus I don't own it. I do not own Ryou and Bakura. I don't own `Dordrecht'. I don't own the hotel Ry and Baku sleep in, and I probably also don't own the taxi Ryou and Baku will take!
oOo End flashback oOo
“And?” I quietly asked my 3 `friends', who was still sitting on the bench. For a moment it was very quiet -almost too quiet-, before Malik almost began to scream.
“WOOOOOOWWW! You sure know how to tell a story! Gods, Ryou. I totally love you life-story! You have had such an interesting life so far! And Bakura … well, he's cool! Though I haven't really been friends with him, he's cool!”
“You had quite a bond with your Yami, Ryou.” Marik also spoke up.
“Ryou, I never knew you had a problem with gay persons before! But then again … now you're older, and I think you'll develop yourself more in the years you have still left to talk about, don't you?” Yugi almost chirped, as if my story was a happy story, full of surprises. Well, it wasn't. They knew where my story would end, and that was here, at this place. Until that moment, they kind of knew nothing about me.
“And you had nicknames for Bakura! That's so sweet!” Malik cheered once more, before I sighed softly.
“Yeah … shall I continue, or try to get you out once again?” I asked, though I already knew they wanted to hear the rest too.
“You can try, honey. But you won't succeed. This is way to cool, and I suppose it will be even greater in the rest of Europe and rest.” Malik chirped happily, while I mentally had shuddered. He can be very scary, if he wants to!
“Ryou ... you said earlier you had pictures..” Yugi suddenly piped up, leaving me think for a second. Pictures? Oh yeah! Pictures Bakura took! Yes, I still have them, and took them even with me!
“Yes, yes. Now you remind me, I DO have pictures, Yugi. Thanks for mentioning that. Please give me a second, then I will show you some pictures Bakura took.” And with that I opened my bag again, and grabbed my green-coloured photo-album. Oh, how much memories were locked up in these pictures of mine! My whole life is practically photographed at the most important moments, and stuck together in this neat funky looking album. Credit goes to Bakura, of course.
“I haven't shown many pictures, haven't I?” When Yugi nodded, I opened the book at the first page again.
“Let me see ... oh yeah, I showed you Mai's picture last, didn't I. Emm, then we have this picture. I wore that hat Bakura magically found in our house when we played a scene from `Underway to Golden Times'. He thought he couldn't be seen on pictures since he used to be visible.” I showed them the pictures, and I heard Malik squeal in delight. Yugi smiled cutely and Marik just gave them a blank look. So much for their reaction all right!
“Then ... Oh yeah, I cut this pictures out of the newspaper, right after our teacher was fired because of a certain event, which I will not repeat another time.” I showed then a piece of cut-out newspaper, where you could see my class stand on and the teacher in jail-clothes in a picture of her own. Yes, it was the picture in the newspaper where I was holding hands with Jou. Luckily all 3 of them immediately recognized me, and gave me smiles. They knew which event I did not to name again, and understood it. They probably asked Jou for the truth-version of the story.
“Here is a picture of me when I was 14, taken on `Winchester'. The only recent picture they had of me in that time when I escaped that school one year later.” I turned on the page when I spoke, and shown them a very ugly picture of mine, one where I was looking happy-go-lucky with the biggest smile you could ever imagine! Ugh, how one can hate himself sometimes.
“This one was taken at the airport of London. You know, where Bakura had photographed me as I was wearing all white.” I certainly didn't look happy on that picture, but in those times I wasn't happy either. I detested pictures of myself, and now things have gone only little more positive. I do not detest myself anymore. I just hate myself.
“Those two were made in `Rotterdam'. One where I thought Bakura wasn't making pictures of me, and one where I was feeling depressed because I didn't like the fact Bakura DID take a picture of me.” I showed them two almost identical pictures, one where I was sighing on, while on the other I was looking sad at the camera.
When I turned another page, I saw there were already picture of `Antwerpen' stuck on it. Oh, they aren't supposed to see then already!
“Don't look at these pictures, because they still have a story behind it, which I haven't told yet. Though I DID tell you what I was doing on this picture.” I shoed them a picture in the corned of the left page, where one could easily see I had been crying on. Yes, it was the one where I was holding the handkerchief with the boat on it. You could even see my red cheeks and puffy eyes on the picture! Ugh.
“Well, that's everything until now. I'll continue my story, and I will show you the other pictures as I came to the point the picture were made.” I nodded to no-one particularly, then closed the photo-album and putting it away. Only when I was ready to begin my story again, when Yugi suddenly piped up again.
“I'm ... I'm sorry to say, Ryou, but I think it's time for me to go home. Yami must be worried about me. I mean ... it's already in the afternoon, and Grandpa doesn't know where I am now. Sorry, but I'll listen to the end of your story another time.” Yugi spoke up, while pouting slightly. Then he stood up, grabbed his bag, bowed to me, and smiled quickly to Malik and Marik. Then he walked away. After 3 passes he looked at us one more time.
“Bye guys! See you all at school. And Ryou, you have had the best life I've ever heard of!” Then Yugi was gone, probably chasing Yami.
“Can you continue, please? ... Ryou?” Malik questioned me, as I looked at the now empty place next to Malik. I never realised he must have heard almost my complete story. He knows how me and Bakura became friends, how he fought against Jou and my teacher, how I went to the tournament and met Seto, how I went to Winchester and stayed there for 9 years, how I found Bakura back - or rather, how he found ME back- and how we escapes that stupid school. I don't know how to say, but ... I kind of liked it when Yugi was here to listen. He listened well to me, and even said I had the best life he had ever heard of! Wow. No one ever said such a thing to me. Hmm, I think I'll let him listen to the rest too another time.
But now. It was afternoon, just as Yugi said. The sun was going done slowly, while there blew a colder wind than this morning. I guess I kind of talked for a very long time. Well, this was one story I would finish, and no one could get me away from this place!
“Ryou?” I heard Marik question me softly. I looked up, confused, then remembered I still had a big piece of my story to tell.
“Sorry ... I was thinking ... now, the continuation of my life-story. I have to warn you things get sappier as my story develops. At that time in Holland I was about to figure something out that would change the rest of my life.”
“Ohh, a change! I love changes! Please continue your story, Ryou!” Malik cheered while I made a sour face. I hate when people get excited about nothing. On the other side of Malik his Yami was -unsuccessfully- trying to calm him down. I sighed once more.
“I'll continue now, Malik. Please shut up.” That DID work. Both of them looked at me again, Malik with a big glint of excitement in his eyes. Oh, will I ever regret this?
“Okay, it was still that same night in the hotel, and I woke up later than planned …”
oOo Enter flashback oOo
When I woke up again, I could see through the little window on my left it was still dark outside. Gods, how long -or how short- did I actually sleep? Hmm, it could even be night, for Christ's sake! Damn.
I turned around, only to feel Bakura's arms pull me back into my original position. Ow yeah. He was here too. Hmmm, how could I forget him! After the goodnight-kiss I got from him on my forehead I didn't think to fall a sleep so easily, but I guess I was sleepy after all, and I doze off immediately.
When I felt Bakura move next to me, and slowly wake up, I gently grabbed his arms and pulled it off me, so I could get up. I first checked my watch, before cussing under my breath, and going to the window. It was 2 am! Middle of the night! Gods, I guess I slept through the early night.
I looked outside the window, and sourly admired the city in the dark. Well, the surroundings were beautiful, so my sour mood disappeared immediately. Beautiful. Winchester is not even NEAR as cool as this little city! Winchester is so ... dumb. And boring. And it reminds me too much of years of abuse and no-fun! Hmmm, glad THAT'S over!
“Ry? You awake?” I heard Bakura sleepily mumble from our bed. Hey, OUR bed. Heh, heh. Cool. I mean, this WAS the first time in my life I shared a bed! And it was COOL!
“Yeah ... did I wake you?” I timidly asked back, and patiently waited a few seconds extra before Bakura slowly opened his mouth again to answer my question.
“Mmmmm, sorta ... are we gonna leave?” Bakura stiffed a yawn, before closing his eyes again, still sitting up straight.
“I umm ... I dunno ... I'm kinda night-blind ... but if you wanna ... I guess it's okay then.” I unconsciously shrugged my shoulder, though I already knew Bakura had his eyes closed, so he wouldn't see it anyway. When I heard a mumble from behind, I totally turned around now, and faced Bakura once more.
“If ya lemme wake more, we'll leave later. I'm not sleepy anymore ... only doooooooozed.” Bakura yawned once more, before tapping on a spot next to him. Oh gods.
“C'm here, Ry.” He softly stated, while hugging himself with his arms in the same time. Gods, he can be so sweet sometimes! I smiled at him, though he wouldn't see it, but that's not my point, before walking over to our bed. I sat down next to him, my hands neatly folded on my lap. Hmm, I was never the loud one. Always number one shy guy. The loner on the background. Heh, heh. Well, THIS background is moving into the front again!
“Ry, wake me up!..” Bakura mumbled next to me, before suddenly doing the least I expected. He folded his arms around me, and rubbed his chin against my shoulder in a way I'd definitely get embarrassed by. Luckily -it would be a miracle if I could speak of LUCK in this situation!- I could hold myself from shrieking, and I stayed silent. Feeeeew. Lucky me.
“Emmm ... you want coffee?” I whispered, visibly scared. Though I had my voice under control, I just KNOW Bakura must have heard how scared I am right now. Now only hope he wasn't pointing at some coffee, and would decide to kiss me or something along that line!
“Yeah ... and a hug...” I heard Bakura yawn once more, before letting me go and stretching out. Then he opened his eyes and looked at me in the usual way. Intense, possessively, and somewhere deep down also happy. Well, that much for my ranting! Gods, I'm pathetic. Just because I know he's gay know, that doesn't mean he'll act different now!
“Sorry.” I whispered suddenly, before my brains registered I said it out loud. Damn me! Now he'll think I'm going crazy!
“Ry? You okay? You didn't do anything wrong, so why did you apologize?” He grabbed his shirt, and while putting it on, he kept on staring at me. Gods, I must be as red as a beet by now!
“I ... umm ... never mind, Bakura ... Come here.” I sighed, while hoping he would let this pass. Gods, I'm pathetic. But now I'll let this thing pass too and hug my sweet friend. So I wrapped my arms around Bakura, and hugged him softly. While I felt Bakura's head bow a bit down, to let his chin rest in the crook of my neck, I felt myself unconsciously tense a little bit, but only a bit! I mean, like I said before, the fact that Bakura said he was gay doesn't mean anything will change in our relationship!
Suddenly Bakura let me go and looked me into the eyes. The usually way was getting really frightening now. I'm used to him, but he CAN be scary at the times. But when he suddenly dropped the intense gaze, and I could read a little bit of sadness in his eyes, I frowned. Now what?
“Ry ... are you disgusted by me now?”
Oh fuck. Well, actually, I think I am. But that's merely because I was raised with the quote that people can only be heterosexual, and else they are disgusting and unworthy to talk to. Well, I DO respect Bakura! But gay? That changes much.
“Being gay doesn't immediately mean I'm hitting on you.”
“But I ...I-I ... I-I know that ... Right?” Well, that last word was more meant for me than for bakura. I KNOW it's wrong to think Bakura suddenly changed after that little confession of himself, but I still can't entirely cope with that! It's so ... SUDDENLY!
“Ryou.” Bakura suddenly closed his eyes, and smiled. Probably to me. He wrapped his arms around my petite body, and I could feel my tummy make the fuzzy feeling once more. Well, technically I could feel the fuzzy feeling inside me every time he touched me. Usually nice, but not now. It makes me feel so ... gay. Yuck.
“Silly, silly Ryou.” He smirked at me, before placing a small peck on the top of my nose, before hugging me once more. I stiffed, but immediately figured out he was playing with me. Probably the little bond-thingy he was talking of back at Winchester.
“Sorry. It's ... it's new for me. That's all.” Wow! I'm really progressing in speaking sentences. Woohoo! Goooooooo me! Heh, heh.
“I know you figured it out. I already know, my little Ryou. But for real, if you feel intimidated by me, then I won't touch you anymore, okay? So ... do you want me to touch me or not?” Bakura smiled at me, already figured out there was no chance for me to escape this question. Damn! This was not what I wanted! I KNOW it'll sound wrong if I admit, but if I don't then I'll end up with Bakura who won't touch me again! No fair!
“You're saying his to tease me, aren't you?”
“Yes. Now say it, then I'll make us coffee, so you can dress properly.” He cockily smiled at me, before hugging me once more. I felt myself tense no more at his touch. Probably became used to Bakura's touch. Then he stopped hugging me, before curiously looking up to me again. Well, here goes nothing.
“Koe, you can touch me.” I was the one who hugged the other now, and I was pretty happy about that fact. I wrapped my arms softly around his neck, and nuzzled into his hair, inhaling the fresh scent of it. Strange, but I couldn't help myself. I moved a little bit towards Bakura's body, before suddenly feeling the weird urging to hug him closer. Closer? Riiiiiiight. Like that was possible. The fuzzy feeling was already making my tummy doing flip-flops, while I felt myself lean deeper and deeper towards Bakura. He smelled so ... trustworthy. So trustworthy. So ...
“Ryou, don't fall a sleep, okies?” I heard Bakura say to me, before unwrapping his hands off my body. Hey, were his arms over my body? Hmmm, strange. I can't remember that he wrapped them around me in the first place! Well, better not stay here.
“Oh ... sorry.” I mumbled, before letting Bakura go as well. Hmm, so much for my fuzzy feeling. Still I'm wondering what that fuzzy thing is. Now, before I was going to make coffee, I would take a shower first. After all, it was days ago since the last time I'd taken a shower. I must be smelly!
“Bakura ... can I please take a shower before we go?”
“Yeah..” Bakura said, before he lay back on our bed, eyes closed once again. I guess I'll let him sleep some longer. Very silent I stood up, then walked to the bathroom. When I opened the door, I checked Bakura once more. Perfect, he seemed a sleep again. Now I could take a quick shower, before surprising him with coffee!
Happy I softly closed the door, quickly turning on the water, while stripping down my clothes.
... In the end it still took me almost an hour to take a shower, while back in Winchester I could shower within 5 minutes. Perhaps it was the fact here I had warm water, and back there most of the times -credit goes to Keith- not.
Well, now it was time for coffee, yet I had the feeling Bakura would be awake by now. And I was right, because when I opened the door of the bathroom again, Bakura was sitting on our bed, not the least tired anymore. How did he do that!
“Bakura ... shall I make coffee?” I asked him quietly, before he shook his head. I weakly smiled as he got up to make us coffee, before I came to the brilliant idea to make myself useful as well.
So I grabbed a tissue I bought at Harrods and cleaned the table next to the bed, rubbing until there were no more fingerprints on it anymore. After all, I'm still wanted! So I really need to be careful so no-one will figure out it's me.
“Ry, I think we have a problem.” I heard Bakura say. I turned around, and saw that Bakura didn't make coffee yet ... wait, problem?
“What, Bakura?” I blinked my eyes in confusing, thinking this may be important. Did the hotel managed found out I took a shower at TWO in the moring, and was now waiting for an explanation? Did the police surround the building or what? Or worse! Perhaps the police were already on the hallway just WAITING for me to come out so they could take me back to Winchester, or even worse, to prison!
“We don't have a kitchen! I can't make coffee for you!” Bakura whined, interrupting my thoughts abruptly, while I fell in anime-style. Oh damn!
“Oh Bakura. Please don't let me scare so much next time!” I answered, before I registered what I said. Gods, I'm progressing. I'm speaking in full sentences already. Go me! Heh, heh. Okies, never mind me.
“Sorry, Ryou ... but I really wanted to make coffee for you! Now we have to buy coffee!” Bakura pouted a little bit, before walking over to my place, while inspecting the room.
“Spotless, Ryou. Great job, I think. Now only put you on a bandana then we can get out of here.” He offered me my bandana, before checking the room once more. He nodded to nobody in particular, then looked at me. I slowly put on the bandana, this time a blue one. When I smiled as a cue to go, he smiled widely back, then grabbed my hand as we left the room. Of course we didn't forget my backpack. Heh, heh.
I checked out, saying I had an emergency at home, and luckily everyone believed me. So far so good!
When I and Bakura were outside, I sighed softly, admiring the city in the night once more. I sleep so much usually, and it's strange to think that I am fully awake in the middle of the night.
Bakura suggested we would immediately take a taxi, so we could travel further to the south of the Netherlands. After all, if the police were gonna find out I didn't go to Florida as I tried them to believe, I guess I would have a little problem.
“Come-on Ryou-chan ... lets go.” I felt Bakura tug the fabric on my arms, while I was busy staring into the nothingness. Oh yeah, take a taxi. Well, now only hope there would be taxi's around this hour of the day ... and then hope they wouldn't recognize me. But I think I was being negative again. Oh, bad me!
“Okay, Bakura.” I smiled up at him, just because I felt like smiling at him, and then started walking along the street, into a random direction. After all, I don't suppose there were shops open at this time of the day, where I could find a good map. And I also don't suppose it would be normal if I would just sit down at the pavement here, then open my laptop and try to locate where the fuck I was. Well, somewhere in Holland, yeah, so far I know ... but how the hell can I get outta here!
“Oi, Ryou, Cab ahead!” Bakura suddenly grinned like madly, pointing his finger at some car a little distance away. Woow, I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed that myself. Heh, heh. Claps for my bakura. Wait ... I mean ... claps for Bakura. He isn't mine. Nono, silly me. He's my friend, nothing more. Well, perhaps my best friend, but then again, nothing more ... I mean ... how much more can you become of mine? Woops, I guess I'm rambling again.
“W-Wait!” I managed to yell, while sort of sprinting into the direction. Now only hope I wasn't doing this for nothing. If that taxi would drive away before I could get there ... oh then someone wasn't going- ... he was going to ... he was- ... oh well ... so much for my curses ... sorry peeps, I can't make threats.
Luckily my worries were for nothing, because the taxi was still waiting at the same spot. Feew. Lucky, lucky me. I opened the backdoor of the taxi, and while stepping in, I immediately saw this was one of those taxis again where there was located some sort of window between the driver's side and the back seat. Woohoo, lucky me AND Bakura.
I quickly grabbed my translation book, flipped it immediately open at the correct page, then gave the destination.
“Ik zal u dubbel betalen als u mij naar `Dordrecht' rijdt.” I said in Dutch as good as possible, before I immediately saw Bakura rolling his eyes, thinking I exaggerated when I told him I suck in other languages. When I heard something mumbled in Dutch, while the taxi began riding, I really hoped I said the right thing.
“What did you say anyway?” I heard Bakura softly ask me, nudging my arm at his side gently. I smiled, before answering.
“I said `I'll pay double if you can drive me to `Dordrecht'. In `Dordrecht' we can cross the border with a train then, and then we are in Belgium.” Woow, I'm still progressing in saying completely sentences. Yaay!
“Okies then. Though I have NO idea where we are, I trust you.” Aahhhh, so sweet to say!
“So, what shall we do until we are in that so-called `Dordrecht'-city-thing? Talk, or play a game? Or sleep?” Hmmm, I think I won't sleep. I have the nasty habit not to fall a sleep when I'm in a car.
“Emmm, I can't sleep in a car, Bakura ... and I don't know any game to play ... so I guess we'll just talk. O-Okay?” I really hope he fell for this one. I merely did NOT feel like playing games now, with Bakura. I would probably end up counting all red passing cars, or screaming `I see, I see what you don't see, and it's ... green!' then he would answer `everything is yellow, with these lights on! You're cheating!'. Na-ah. No games for me.
“Okies then! Ummm ... so ... did you really think I was straight?” Waaah! Not again!
“I guess so ... I uhm, I never really thought about it.” Gosh, I think I'm progressing in telling people things. Woohoo, progress!
“Hmmm, well ... you can think about it now, I guess. I mean ... I really hope you won't think I'm disgusting, or strange ... or not friend-worthy. Something along that line.”
“N-no ... Like I said before ... It's just new for me.” I really shouldn't feel this way! It makes me SO uncomfortable knowing he's gay. And I don't even know WHY I feel uncomfortable! Waaah! I hate myself.
“Understood. But you really meant it when you said I could touch you, didn't you?” Oh bloody hell, I swear I will kill him for letting me state such a sentence. Well, I wouldn't really kill him ... but anyway!
“I meant it. R-really ... it just sounds so wrong.” I couldn't help myself saying that last part though. I mean ... it really sounds wrong if a guy state another guy is allowed to touch him! But hellow! Else Bakura wouldn't hug me anymore, and that's a bad thing.
Wait ... Bakura not touching me, a bad thing? Oh boy, those lonely years at Winchester must have taken its toll. I feel like I'm craving for a mere hug from Bakura. Ugh. Disgusting thought. And it sounds SO wrong!
“It's doesn't sound wrong, Ryou. You THINK it sounds wrong, but it's not ... really ... well, it doesn't sound wrong to me!” Bakura paused for a minute, to collect his thoughts I think, before continuing his talking, “You shouldn't think so negative about everything. I mean it. See everything on the bright side for once. There are so many good things in your life, and all you see are those bad things.”
“I-I know that ... I can't help it ... negative stuff is more realistic than positive stuff.” I answered, though talking softer more and more. I couldn't help it, by the way.
“That doesn't always have to be. If you think negative about everything you do, where will the fun stay?” Hmmm, Bakura may have a point there, but I won't give up so easily!
“If you think everything is a bed of roses, you may get disappointed.” I countered back.
“Ry, not everything is a bed of roses. I know that, yet I am pretty positive about many things. I merely try to take all the good of something even if that something is bad. You understand?”
“Barely.”
“Emmm ... if something bad happens, I always try to think of something good that happens with it.”
“Has anyone ever told you cannot explain things properly?”
“I'm invisible. How should people tell me that while they don't know I exist?”
“Point taken.”
“But you understand my point, don't you?” Suddenly Bakura's voice was a lot more hesitant. I could practically feel somewhere inside me I couldn't say no to this question, even if I DIDN'T understand his explaining at all. Which I didn't, by the way. I guess I didn't want to hurt him. Hmmm, strange.
“Y-yes. Of course.” I tried to control my voice, but it was pretty useless. I can't lie, that's for sure. And I'm positive Bakura knows I don't mean it.
“You don't have to lie, Ryou-chan.” I got back a soft reply. I sighed mentally. Now I feel guilty.
“I don't want you to feel unhappy because I don't understand something.”
“I would be even happier if you were honest with me. I trust you.”
“I know ... I-I trust you too.” I added the last past on an impulse. I don't know if Bakura knew it or not, but I merely wanted him to know it for sure.
“Glad we feel the same.” He smiled at me, and inside I could feel the fuzzy feeling coming up again. Oh boy, this can't be good. Normally I only got that feeling when Bakura hold me ... but now! If this continues like this, I will never loose that feeling again! Ohh wait ... that's good, isn't it? Hmmm. I don't know actually. The fuzzy feeling IS nice ... but it would be kinda freaky if I got it when Bakura would merely smile to me!
“Hmm-mm.” I silently agreed with him, nodded my head to confirm it. Then I rested my head against the window. It was pretty cold here at night, so the window was cooler than the seat I was sitting on. I looked outside, while seeing Bakura's reflection in the window. Vaguely, but noticeable.
I still wonder how it's possible that I'm the only one who can see Bakura. I've never been special, but every time I see Bakura, I can't help but feel a little bit needed. He could survive without me, and I'm sure I could've survived without him. But here we are, bundled up in a taxi, driving in Holland to God knows where. Fleeing for the rest of the world, TOGETHER. Gods, somewhere that does sound romantic. Too bad it's Bakura, and Bakura is well ... Bakura is a boy. And me with a boy and romantic is wrong.
But I can't help but to feel content about the fact. Bakura is extremely nice to me. I guess, but that's only a very WILD guess, that if Bakura was a girl, I would've liked her. Definitely. Her looks might have been pretty scary, cuz then she would've been like a female version of me. But if she would have the same personality as Bakura ... wow. Then I sure would've liked her!
You see, Bakura's personality is unique. I'm sure everyone, who would've known him properly, would've liked him. Bakura is sweet, kind, caring, so full of energy, so happy-go-lucky, yet so serious when it comes to serious things. He's perfect, in my eyes that is. But he IS a boy after all ... and that makes the picture so much more ... creepy.
“Ryou?” When Bakura nudged me harder, I returned my mind to the present world. Oh yeah. I think Bakura wants to talk further. Heh, heh. Oops.
“Yeah?” I answered softly, turning my back a little bit more to the window, so I faced Bakura almost directly. My back was freezing, because I was now leaning against the window, but I wanted to look at Bakura. Just because.
“Imagine something bad happens, say this car will hit a tree in the coming minute,” Bakura paused, and I suddenly understood he wanted to explain his silly thoughts to me again. Oh, how sweet, “That's something bad. Say you broke an arm and both of your legs. You can think `Oh, I hit a tree. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me' ... but now say some REALLY nice person helps you out of the car and saves you. You both fall in love and live happily ever after, even IF you have a broken arm and 2 broken legs ... then something good came out of the bad! Because if you never HAD the accident in the first place, you wouldn't have met that person! Understand it now!”
“Nice theory ... but around here I can only see grass fields. So no trees around here,” I teased him, but grinned softly when Bakura's face fell, “Of course I understand, Bakura! I was just kidding.” I smiled to him, and I felt relieved when he returned the smile.
“And you believe it as well?”
“I never said that. If such things happen, I call it good luck ... a coincidence ... or just fate. NOT a positive thing.”
“Okay, I give UP!” Bakura put his face between his hands, while faking a cry.
“S-sorry ...” I softly stated, then put my left hand on his shoulder, but jerked it back immediately when Bakura looked up at me, a little bit angry, but then again ... he also looked pretty amused.
“You don't have to be sorry for saying something you mean. We just have different views at this stuff. But don't worry, it'll work out fine in the end! Some say that `Opposite attracts', and I believe it's totally true.”
“Bakura ... that's said when 2 completely different peeps in a soap make out, then their friends will try and make up an explanation. It is NOT said between two boys who are good friends. And we DO have things that match ... don't we?”
“Yes, yes, of course we have! We both like coffee!” Bakura grinned evilly, which made me back up against the window some more. No, wait, it wasn't Bakura's grin that made me do that. If was the fact Bakura couldn't make up one DECENT thing between us that matched!
Really, but what did I thought earlier? That Bakura matched me in some point? That was wasn't as cool as he was, but also had little nerd-like habits, that matched my own? That he, per example, was clumsy too? That he loved being a good kid all the time? That he didn't think so positive about everything! Sweet dreams, Ryou.
Ugh, in times like this I detest myself.
“Ryou .. I was kidding. Didn't you figure that out already?” Huh? Oh boy, I am pathetic!
“N-no ...” I whispered, turning my head to the window and looking outside once more. I didn't have the guts to look at Bakura right now. I am SO pathetic.
“Ryou, we share a lot of things. We both love games like `Duel Monsters'. We both like watching TV, like `Underway to Golden Times' and `The Morning Show'. We are both strong enough to do what we want, like going on a tour through Europe. All by ourselves! We can trust each other, and both of us can be trusted. We both have good and bad qualities. We both think the same about lots of things. And last, but not least ... we both like each other, and if that's not worth this friendship, then I don't know it anymore.”
“I g-guess so ... but we are still so different!” I couldn't help but to doubt at Bakura's answer.
“Our friendship isn't based on mere shared things. We are both open to the other, and that makes out friendship so strong. And I like you, BECAUSE you are so different than me. I can't bare with another me! Think of the madness!”
“Excuse me, Bakura. I hate to burst your bubble, but being ME isn't exactly a bed of roses either. I'd rather me more like you!”
“And I'd rather have some gentler side, like you have. I can be nice ... but nothing inside of me is compared to you. You are so incredibly sweet, nice and caring, I could never match that.”
“Sweet dreams. I am a neat freak, a nerd, a freak, and a loner. Peeps get scared because I can only be nice. I don't dare to open my mouth and say the things I want to.”
“You're doing it now.”
“What are you talk- ... ohh, oops!” As soon as I realized I was talking WAY too much, I immediately shut my mouth. I didn't realize I was looking directly to Bakura once again, so I turned my head back to the window. Still grass fields. Still no trees.
“Ry ... don't cower now. I won't hurt you.” As soon as I felt Bakura's hand softly stroking my hair, I couldn't help but to snort. Then there was a moment silence, before both me and Bakura laughed softly to each other.
“Sorry Ryou, for disturbing you in heat.”
“I won't mention the fact that last part sounded so WRONG.”
“I was intending that.”
“You know ... I had a babysitter once, who couldn't stop stroking my hair. Annoying habit. That's where that snort came from, I guess.”
“She was named Mai. Cool girl, especially because she took care of you.”
“Yeah ... ánd she took me to that Duel Monster tournament.”
“I went with you. Remember that?”
“Slightly. Only that I fought with Jou to `rescue' Mokuba. In the end he found back the exit all by himself.”
“I fought with Jou back then ... I WAS sorry, by the way.”
“I know that.” I really know that, you know! I could feel Bakura's guilt inside of him, as soon as I told me he was sorry for fighting with Jou.
Though it's kinda strange. Usually I feel Bakura relaxed, and content. But for the last hours ... I started slowly to estimate his feelings. Per example, when we were `in heat' as Bakura told me, I could feel enthusiasm and some strong happiness coming from his side. No wonder I totally went up in our conversation. Whenever Bakura feels happy, I become happy too. But now ... I could feel Bakura's guilt and remorse as he spoke of that fight with Jou. I didn't mind the fight much, but feeling Bakura's sad emotions running through my mind and soul, I couldn't mind but feel sad for him too.
“Bakura ... you're forgiven already. In case you didn't know that yet.”
“I know ... but that doesn't make the bad feeling about it all go away. That's why I rather do happy stuff, so I won't feel sad.”
“Like killing those cops?”
“Hey, they asked for it! Else you'd go to prison or back to Winchester.”
“After those murders ... I guess prison.” I reacted softly, before I suddenly felt like no more talking anymore. I think this conversation was going nowhere.
“See, that's what I mean! You always think so negative about things. When I killed those people, all I could think about was how happy you'd be if you were truly free again. A smile from you is enough for me to kill another.”
“Though the idea sounds sweet, the idea behind this little theory is quite scary, not to mention gay.”
“I AM scary and gay.”
“I detest scary people.”
“What about gays?”
“I am sitting next to world's biggest gay person, yet I feel content. Is that enough evidence for you?”
“You feel content? Yeah baby Yeah!” All of a sudden Bakura circled his arms around me, and hugged me. Oh yeah, feel the emotion, and feel the sarcasm of the last comment.
“You know, Ryou. This means a lot to me.” I could feel Bakura's smile warm me up inside. The fuzzy feeling was bubbling inside me again. It made my body slightly hum. Strange, but nice.
“O-oh ... okay.” I stated, stuttering because of the intense feeling I was having. What is wrong with me anyway? I can't help but to feel ... content, whenever Bakura is near me. I really can't help that fact. Now I can help the fact a mere smile from Bakura makes me so happy and fuzzy inside. Ugh, I sound gay now. Which I'm not, by the way.
“Ryou-chan, I really mean it. I'm really happy about the fact you feel comfortable with me around. And I'm happy you accept me the way I am.”
“You're kidding me? You're perfect, Bakura.”
“Riiiiiight. I tend to kill everyone who stares at you, I'm grumpy, I'm moody, I'm evil, I'm a psycho, I am too hyper for my own good sometimes, and I have crazy ideas!”
“You like me as a friend, and that's enough for me, Bakura.” I stated back, smiling at my best friend beside me. I really think he's my best friend at this point. I mean, I can talk about everything I want to with Bakura, not to mention I feel comfortable with him around. Please note I didn't mention my `fuzzy feeling' in my little speech. That was on purpose. I still don't know whether I should be happy or sad with that feeling inside of me.
“Thanks.” Bakura answered one last time, before looking outside again. He let go of me, since we were still hugging, but after I slightly pulled his shirt, he circled his arms around me once more. I didn't know why I wanted him to hug me ... but I feel so much better when he does that. I guess I need the affection.
When I rested my head somewhere on his chest, I could feel myself becoming sleepy again. No shit Sherlock, it was in the middle of the night. But I couldn't afford to sleep, because we could be in `Dordrecht' any time now.
“Ryou ... go to sleep. I'll take over your body if we arrive before you woke up again.” When Bakura told me that, I couldn't help myself. I smiled to no-one particular, then nuzzled my head some further inside Bakura's shirt. I closed my eyes, and listened to my surroundings, as Bakura's heartbeat lulled me to sleep.