Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ New Beginnings in an Anchient Land ❯ The New Land ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Je ne posséde pas Yugioh for all of you stupid French lawyers who seem to think I own Yugioh.

Yami: *still running* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

SG: *still chasing him* Yami! Wait!!

Yami: *hides behind Yugi**whispers* Psst, Yugi hid me.

Yugi: No way, you're on your own

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aithne lay sprawled on the banks of a river for some time before she regained consciousness. The hot sands of a desert lie beneath her, while a scorching, hot sun rested above.

Her eyes fluttered open, a hard sandal kicking her, as if to see if she was dead or not. Looking up, she saw two icy eyes looking at her, a hard look on his face. She closed them again.

"Get up, I know you're alive." The voice seemed to be colder and harsher then the storm she had just survived. He kicked her again.

"Hey, High Priest, did you find something."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Upton is it time to take it?"

"No, Jiro. It would be foolish to take it not even knowing what it does."

"But we took the other items without knowing what they did."

"Yes, but rumor has it that the inscription is written in a language of the unknown. Our best bet is to lie low for awhile till they figure it out, then we will swipe it. I have a feeling that this is the one we've been looking for."

"But how do we know when they figured it out?"

Upton smiled. "Why Jiro, your going to watch them."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A blond boy walk up to the High Priest, glancing from him to the girl on the ground.

"So Priest Seto, what did you find?"

"Listen Joey, just because the pharaoh decided that you were the `Protector of the Items', doesn't mean that you can order me around. As far as I'm concerned, you only got that title since your Pharaoh Yami's friend."

"Well is she alright?" he asked, changing the subject.

"She's alive if that's what you mean. Just leave her here."

Not listening to Kaiba, Joey kneeled down to see if the girl was ok. He could hear her breathing, but it was extremely choppy. He looked up at the High Priest.

"She's not alright. From what I can tell, she's having trouble breathing."

"Yeah, and since when are you the Royal Physician?"

He decided to ignore his last comment and turned back to the girl. "Listen, are you alright?"

The girl looked up, and Joey saw a pair of large eyes gazing at him from underneath the hood. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Well for starters, why don't you try to stand up." Joey extended his bronzed hand. The girl accepted it, extending her pale one.

`Okay; this is getting weirder by the second. A girl in a cape washes up from the Nile. Not only is she dressed strangely, but her skin is as pale as my robe.'

Joey pulled her up easily. "C'mon, let's go." He turned around to see that the girl had fallen back to the ground, clutching her ankle.

He walked back over to her. "What's wrong?"

She showed him the ankle she was cluching.

The leather sandals she wore made distinct markings on her swollen ankle. Joey then hoisted her up and allowed her to lean on him for support. Kaiba, however, did not approve of his hospitality. It was his belief that the girl should have been left there and he loudly made his opinion known.

Joey, on the other hand, thought it was right to take her. No matter how many times he explained it, Kaiba still didn't seem to understand what humanity. It was only until he reminded him that they were desperately in need of serpents in the palace, did he let go.

Aithne remained quiet the whole time, in fact she never even heard them arguing; she was too absorbed in Egypt to care. This place was so different then what she was used to. She let the sand slip into her sandals and creep between her toes. And then there was the total lack of vegetation. The lush undergrowth was missing and in its place were the scattered cacti and thorny bushes.

But what was the strangest, was the heat. It was never this hot at home. She wondered if it was always like this. Beads of sweat streamed down her hidden face.

Joey turned to see how she was doing. He noticed that she was heaving again. "Listen, it's another hour before we reach the palace, and it's only going to get hotter. Why don't you take your cloak off?"

She smiled slightly, but unnoticeably. Reaching under her chin, she unfastened the button that held her cloak. Pulling off and draping it over her arm, Joey was able to see her clearer.

She was wearing a blood red, sleeveless tunic that fell to her mid caves. Green and gold decorative trim was stitched along the hem. Around her waist was a silver, chain-linked belt.

But it was her face that stood out most. Freckles covered her pale, thin face, her emerald green eyes looking back at him, thick red hair flowed down her back and stopped around her butt. He had never seen anyone like her.

They walked the walked on for awhile before anything new came in sight. First there were the Great Pyramids, then the adobe houses, and finally the stone palace itself.

"Joey, you should go report to the pharaoh; tell him what you've found. I take care of the girl."

He nodded before running inside. Kaiba grabbed Aithne's arm and pulled her off to the right of the palace to cluster of small shacks. The brick was crumbling and there was small hole in the straw roof of the shack. He opened the door to it and pushed her it.

"You'll be staying here. Someone will come shortly." That was all he said before he walked off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aithne looked at her surroundings. There was a straw mattress, a closet with four dirty white robes, a small chest, and stool. Reaching inside for the hidden pocket inside her cloak, she pulled out a medium size linen bag. Placing it on her mattress, she grabbed the cloak and hung it in the closet.

Going back to her bed, she opened the clutch and spilled its contents on to the bed. She smiled.

`Thank goodness; I didn't loss anything in the storm.'

She looked them over one more time to make sure. There were five pairs of silver arm bans engraved with different Celtic knots with their matching ankle bans. Her rings and bracelets were also unharmed. Putting the jewelry back in her back, she turned to the wooden flute.

This flute meant more to her than anything in the world. Da had given it to her for the fifth birthday. It was her most prized possession.

Raising it to her mouth, she was about to play when she heard a loud knock on her door and saw the doorknob turning. Shoving the bag behind her bed, she watched the person enter her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yami was bored, there was no denying it.

`There's nothing to do. Why do I even have to sit here all day; nothing ever happens?'

Sure being a pharaoh had its advantages, but at times it was down right dull. Not to say he would trade it, he enjoyed ruling. But right now, it seamed to him that herding sheep would be more fun then that.

He wanted to just fall asleep, and it was something that he could probably do. There was really no one who could catch him; a couple servants were in there working, but that was about it.

As his eyes closed, he heard a knock on the door to his throne room and a familiar voice filled the air.

"Hey Yami, GOOD MORNING!"

Yami opened his eyes; Joey was standing three feet away from him. He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

"For you, maybe."

"Priests won't listen to you again?"

"No, just bore; and the fact that we're one the brink of a civil war, the servents are running away, and the Millennium Items are being stolen. But anyway, did you find anything to help translate it?"

Joey shook his head, completely oblivious to what Yami just said. "Nothing; I searched up and down the Nile for six hours."

"Oh, perhaps that's a good thing."

"Huh?"

"Well, we've had it for three months now and not one attempt of thief. My guess it they don't want to steal it until they know exactly what it is."

"Well, see'ya! I better go and try to decode that item."

"Yeah and I have another meeting with Horus; the stupid nobleman can't even control his own peasants."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yami: *begging* Please Yugi, help me.

Yugi: No!

Yami: But what ever happened to that sweet and innocent Yugi I see all the time?

Yugi: That's only on camera, buddy.

SG: Yami, where are you?

Yami: Don't do it.

Yugi: *smile and step to the side*

SG: YAMI!

Yami: *runs**mumbles* This is no way to treat a pharaoh.

Yugi: Review or feel the wraith of the hug-crazy authoress.