Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ New Beginnings in an Anchient Land ❯ The Mediterranean ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yugioh! I don't have money either so I can't buy it.

SG: Yay, my second fic.

Yami: Big deal, it's just another stupid story.

SG: *pretending to cry* Fine…*sob*…if you…*sob*…feel…*sniffle*…that way…*sob*…I'll go… and…study…*sob*…my French.

Yugi: Yami's sorry SG; we really want you to tell the story.

SG: *smiles* Oh Yugi, you're the best. *wraps him in a big hug*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aithne stared out to the sea. Letting down the hood of her cloak, she allowed her hair tumble down, the salty sea wind blow through it. It had been six weeks since she had left home. Staring at the horizon, she noticed that they were sailing strait towards black clouds.

"Aithne," cried her father. "Get below deck, the storm is approaching fast."

"Just a minute Da, I'm coming."

She took one last look at the sea. Storms in the Mediterranean were known to last many days. Taking one last breath of fresh air, she turned to the lonely, blue sea, which seemed to stretch out forever.

`I miss home so much. I don't know why Da made me come with him on this stupid trip, anyway.'

She stared off into space, thinking of her homeland; her friends, her family, and the failure landscape. What she saw around her was so foreign.

"Aithne, it's starting to pour!"

Waking up from her daydream, Aithne found her cloak soaked and her clothes and skin weren't much drier.

`Great, I guess I misjudged the distance of those clouds.' She pointlessly stuffed her hair back into her hood. `Either that, or I've been spending way too much time daydreaming of home.'

The winds were howling all around the ship, as waves crashed against its sides.

`Good thing those waves are as big as they are; if they were any larger, I'd be swept overboard for sure.'

She tried to grip the gunwale, but the water had made them all too slippery and she kept losing her grip. She ended up throwing her entire arm over the side. The waves were getting larger bye the minute.

`I need to get below.'

Soon waves hurtled over the ships sides and the deck was flooded with sea water; Aithne was at the mercy of the storm's will.

`And to think that only ten minutes, this place looked like a beautiful wonderland.'

When she thought that the sea could get know worse, the waves grew larger, the winds fiercer, and the raindrops felt like knives stabbing every inch of her skin; they were nearing the eye.

Waves crashed over her, leaving her feeling like she had been drenched with ice water. The winds seemed to make the cold ten times worse then it really was, causing the grip she had on the boat's sides to loosen. The pressure from the waves seemed too much for the rails, for slowly but surely they were splintering.

Aithne could feel this. Knowing soon that the boards would collapse, sending her strait into the sea and most likely to her doom, she decided that she would make one last try to get below deck.

The rain was now so bad it was impossible to see more than three inches in front of your face. Blindly, she slid down the boat; one hand out in front of her, navigating, the other hanging on to the side for dear life.

CRASH!

Hearing the sound, she jumped back, letting go of the wall. The wind had finally gotten the best of the mast that stood in the middle of the ship. The great wooden mast was now lying in front of her, knocking over part of the sides and destroying a large section of the deck.

As this knowledge dawned on her, yet another wave came tumbling over the boat. The wave picked up Aithne's body, carrying her helplessly over board.

`This is going to be the end of me.'

Her eyes tightened, as she anticipated the crashing waves. It never came. She opened her eyes slowly.

`I guess that when put my arms out while falling, I caught the mast.'

She struggled to get a better grip on it. But, try as she might, it seemed impossible to climb to the top of it. Wearisomely, she tried once again to walk up the sides of the ship. The waves had made it slippery and hard for her boots to grasp.

Once she had gotten her feet firmly planted on the ship's starboard side, she began to walk up the wall. As she got further up, it got harder for her to keep grip on the mast.

`C'mon, almost there; just another couple yards.'

Her steps began to get smaller. She was almost to the edge when suddenly, her foot slipped.

`No!'

At that same moment, her left hand slipped of the mast. One hand was all that her life was riding on.

`I feel like I'm getting heavier by second.'

The cool, salty water tossed over her and the mast. Her fingers began to loss there grip and slide off. As the last finger slipped, she plummeted down to the sea.

As the ocean waters hurled her through their depths, she realized that she would probably never see the light of day again. She accepted the fact and let the sea carry her away.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yugi: *still being hugged* Can't….breath….

Yami: Well….. I guess it was ok.

Yugi: ….lack of air……evident…

SG: Yami, you mean it?!

Yugi: …..windpipe……crushed……

Yami: Yeah.

Yugi: ….vital organs…..failing….

SG: Oh Yami! *lets go of Yugi and begins to chase after Yami, trying to give him a hug*

Yami: You've been reading way too many Mary Higgins Clark books.

Yugi: *gasping* Review or feel the wraith of the windpipe-crushing hug!