Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Day ❯ Thin Ice ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The shadows cast by the many trees flickered yet again, three poeple sitting in absolute silence. Yuugi couldn't stand it. Yami would shift a little next to him uncomfortably, unsure how to rectify the situation.

Unfortunately, there WAS no rectifying this situation. It would require care, and unconditional love and nurturing.

Little Yumi sat alone in the seat across from them, feet drawn up to her, looking out the window. She kept wringing her alabaster hands without notice, so very unsure at the moment.

Yuugi was slightly regretful that he didn't know his half sister any better than he had. After the death of their mother, she was sent to live with her own father, who greatly wanted custody of his eight year old little girl.

Yuugi's own father had been a good man, but died of a broken heart just six months after his wife had passed away, and Yuugi was sent to live with his grandfather, Sugoroku, at the right bold age of ten. It was heart-breaking, to say the least, and he knew exactly what Yumi was going through at the moment.

Yumi's mother had been an over all good person, if not a little eccentric. Her choice in husbands, in Yuugi's opinion, had never been very well.

It would account for the man's suicide three years ago.

Yami averted his crimson eyes from Yuugi, who was currently deep in thought, to that of Yumi, and noticed the signs of her shivering just a tad. Noticing this, he gently nudged his partner.

Yuugi looked up into Yami's eyes, and saw them flicker over to Yumi. Following his gaze, he too noticed that the young girl was cold.

Looking at the window to his right, he could see that the sun had now set, and faint stars began to peek out in the light of the moon.

"Yumi," the young man stated softly. She turned her eight year old eyes, big and brimming with childish innocence, over to her uncle.

"Come here." Yuugi held out his hand. Hesitating for only a moment, she slowly reached out her hand and stepped over to him. The lavender eyed man pulled her into his lap, holding her close.

"It's all right to be a little afraid, Yumi. It's hard leaving behind every thing that you once knew."

She looked up at him a little unsure. "It's okay to be afraid?"

She hadn't expected him to chuckle. "Of course! I know adults that would be bawling in your position right now. You should be very proud of yourself for being so strong."

Leaning into the warm, loving embrace, Yumi turned this over in her mind. For some reason, a bit of pride did well up in her chest, mixing in oddly with the pain and greif that she felt towards her mother.

Imagine, doing better than an adult. From all that she had ever seen, adults didn't screw up. Not like that, at least.

Of course, Yumi never considered her father to be an adult, even at five years of age. Not with the way he always yelled at her mother. No, adults were supposed to be strong and able to handle everything. If they couldn't, then what would happen to everything? It was a structure for her, a pillar of strength and authority not to be tampered with.

And yet, she rose above it.

She noticed a warm blanket wrap around her, and saw the man named Yami lean back into his seat, a pillow in hand. "We knew that we'd need these," he winked.

Yuugi rubbed her arms a little, bringing up the blanket around her small body. "Get some sleep, Yumi. We'll be stuck here for quite a while."

The little girl felt safe, for some reason, and saw him now as more of a father figure than she had ever seen her own, for the little time that she had known him.

Yawning, she looked up at him imploringly. "Can. . .can I call you Otousan?"

Yuugi looked a little taken aback, but his lavender eyes immediately warmed up. "Of course, Yumi. Of course you can."

She smiled, closed her eyes, and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

Yuugi didn't dare move for another half hour, wanting to make sure that she stayed asleep. Yami had already set up a pillow and extra blanket on the other bench that Yumi had been on earlier.

Carefully, Yuugi stood, swaying a little with the movement of the train, and placed the young girl on the bench, wrapping the blankets around her securely.

Yami kept another blanket around himself, arm open for his partner to join. With an exauhsted sigh, he slumped down in the plush apholstery, feeling a strong arm warp around him, and cover him with the soft cotton of a blanket.

Yami watched as Yuugi rested his head on his shoulder, arms wrapping around Yami's waist. "Tired?"

"Only a little."

"Hn. Must be why your eyes are already closed."

A small chuckle.

"First day, and you've already been promoted."

Yuugi nodded without looking up. "Now that, I was not expecting."

"Have you noticed?"Yami asked.

"Noticed what," Yuugi yawned.

Yami's brows knitted together, tanned face lost in thought. "She hasn't said a word to me. Is it a little odd?"

"Hmm," Yuugi mused. "Give it time. If it goes on, which I surely hope it doesn't, we'll talk to her. But she's been through a lot. I can only guess what went on in her mother's hospital room."

"We weren't told very much, were we?"

"'Fraid not," Yuugi said dejectedly.

"Ms. Kitoko swore up and down that serious mental damamge had been done to her."

"Yes, and that I am not pleased with. _Something_ was amiss over there, and no one is fessing up." This was an issue that Yuugi seemed to be becoming more and more heated over as the days wore on.

"Don't beat yourself up about it, love. You couldn't have been there to do anything." Yami gave a reassuring squeaze.

"But she was my sister for gods sake, Yami. My SISTER. I should have been there more. I barely knew her."

"You know that she alienated herself from nearly every one."

Yuugi growled quietly. "I know. But I still can't help but feel like I should have been there to help prevent that habit of hers. After our mom died, things just kind of went down hill."

Yami sighed in defeat. Yuugi just would not give up. "Just get some sleep for now. Nothing will change beating yourself up about it, cooped up in a train for ten hours. Get some rest."

"Your right. I'll see you in the mornig, love. Our trip will be nearly over by then."

"Good night." Yami kissed Yuugi tenderly on the forehead, settling in himself to get some shut eye. Yes, in the morning, only a couple of hours would be left, and then they could sleep in their soft, warm beds that were waiting for them ever so patiently.

~Owari~

Well, what do you think? I really wanted to display Yami and Yuugi's character positions in a completely new light, and think that this is it. Comments, suggestions, flames, and questions are always welcome.