Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Re-Discovering Innocence ❯ Day 1: Heatstroke ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Special thanks to Yugi Moto who influenced me to continue and make it a chapter story!

The next day, the school bells chimed at exactly 8:15 a.m.. The last week of school had finally arrived to the students of Domino High.

Many students lingered in the halls and engulfed in a commotion of chit-chat, while half the remainder of the others continued to busily bustle their ways across the courtyards to reach their home rooms..

Finals were also starting to be given out today in all the even periods.

Five minutes later.....

The doors to Yugi's homeroom slid open as he nearly stumbled in carrying a large stack of papers in his arms.

He had just come back from cleaning out his locker, when the loudness of indistinct chatter wavered past his ears.

He blinked, trying to keep a hold on the papers he carried. "Wow, what's all the excitement about?", he whispered o himself.

Aside from the end of school and finals, it seemed that something else was taking place.

With a few gentle "ohayoo"s to the students he passed, Yugi settled the loose papers on his desktop and took a look around.

Near the windows, a small crowd was gathered.

In pure curiosity, Yugi blinked, then proceeded to move closer to see what all the commotion was about.

Yet, in the back of his mind, something told him that it was just another free Duel Monsters game going on.

As he neared closer, he could overhear the voice of his friend Joey amongst all the other voices in the room.

The sound of his voice warmed Yugi's heart and he politely pushed his way through the crowd to get a closer look.

"Okay, Anzu," Jou began, slipping out a monster card from his deck and slapping it on the table. "See if you cam fend against this!"

From what Yugi could see, Jou and Anzu were playing a quick duel before Homeroom started. His heart skipped a beat when he caught sight of Anzu. She hadn't seen him yet, but part of him wondered, would she treat him any differently now, after the events that occurred the night before?

As if she could hear Yugi thinking about her, Anzu turned and her eyes met exactly with his.

Yugi froze. He was caught guilty for staring at her. Instead of playfully accusing him, Anzu simply smiled to him. The gentle rays of the sun in the window she sat in front of, shone through and illuminated her form. The soft strokes of it's rays seemed to play within the curves of her hair and tenderly caress her cheeks, increasing her smile a thousand fold.

Yugi had lost all sense of breathing at this moment. The pounding of his heart in his ears was so loud, he almost couldn't hear Anzu speaking to him.

"Good Morning, Yugi.", she said with an alluring richness in her voice.

All the boys in the classroom stopped what they were doing and turned to see where that heavenly voice was coming from.

Even Jou was taken aback by this, but he didn't say a word.

All was silent, earnestly awaiting Yugi's response.

Feeling all the eyes on him and Anzu, Yugi closed his eyes and tried to swallow his nervousness. "G-good Morning....Anzu..", he returned with an awkward bow.

Once the two made eye contact with each other again, memories of the previous day caused them both to blush.and turn away from eachother just as quick.

Jou, who was not oblivious to the building tension around them, tried to lighten things up a bit. "Heeeey!! Come on, you two!! Get a room, alright!?"

"Can it, Jou!!" Anzu growled to him.

Glad to have Anzu back to her old self again, Jou chuckled and shrugged at her. "Come on! Give me some credit! I'm tryin' to help you and Yuge out here!"

"LIKE FUN YOU ARE!", Anzu bellowed, throwing him a left hook to his jaw.

Needless to say that shut him up for a while.

"Now! If you wanted to finish this game so bad, you could've just SAID so! Dancing Fairy in attack mode!!"

Yugi blinked at the sudden turn of events. "ooookay..." Feeling only slightly left out and rejected, he left the crowd. Little did he know that Anzu's eyes followed right along with him.

Once at his desk, Yugi sat down . Pushing the papers aside, he propped his head in his hands. He allowed his thoughts to drift off into space while fingering the cord to the Millennium Puzzle around his neck.

With a sigh, he gave up on waiting for Jou and Anzu's duel to end, and laid his head on his desk.

When Yugi awakened from his nap, he drowsily opened his eyes, gradually taking in his surroundings.

Much to his surprise, the room was dark, and deserted. With a start, Yugi rose from his chair, yet he was a little wobbly from trying to stand up so suddenly just after waking up. He ended up knocking over his stack of papers in the process. Scrambling to pick them up, his ears caught the distant sound of footsteps behind him.

"Yugi..."

Yugi paused bothering with the papers, and turned to face the voice. "Honda?" Already standing up, the young boy started to ask many questions. "Honda, where is everyone? What happened?...Where're Anzu and Jou?"

With a depressed look on his face, Honda shook his head. He had heavy news to tell his friend, and either way he tried, it would be no easy way to tell it.

Slowly and discreetly, Honda chose his words. "...It's Anzu, Yugi...she's.."

Yugi's ears perked up. "Anzu! What about Anzu? What happened to her where is she?!"

Honda took a hold of his friend's shoulder, trying to calm him down in the process. "Listen to me, she's fine, but.."

"Where is she!?"

"....the nurse's office, but--!"

Yugi didn't bother listening to what else Honda had to say. He yanked himself out of Honda's hold and took off out the classroom and down the hallway with nothing but Anzu on his mind.

(On the way there, his mind was so infatuated with Anzu, that he tripped so many times, Yami threatened to come out and get them there instead, but Yugi refused. He claimed that this was his friend in danger and he would make it to her, no matter what and on his own.)

"Anzu!!"

Jou and Anzu both looked up to the doorway to the nurse's office at the call of Yugi's distressed voice.

"Yugi!", Anzu called, struggling to get up from her bed. The sight of her form appearing so fragile was like a dagger through his heart. It hurt him to see her so bad like this. Just what had happened that made her this way?! And why didn't he know about it!?

"Stay down, Anzu.", Jou cooed to her, trying to get her to lay back down.

Yugi was utterly broken at this point, and again, Yami was on the verge of taking over his body, but Yugi refused--for Anzu, he'd be there, himself.

"It's okay, buddy." Honda assured, placing a hand on Yugi's shoulder.

The latter turned around to meet eyes with his friend, and gave him a faint smile, before returning his attention to Anzu.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, he looked to her with concern in his eyes. "Anzu, what happened? Are you alright?"

Anzu smiled at him, thankful that he was such the wonderful guy he was and glad to know that he cared for her so much. She patted his fist with her hand. "Yes, I'm fine, Yugi."

"...What....what happened to you?"

Anzu adverted her gaze away from Yugi. Her answer would be very distasteful for her own ears to hear. "It was just.....I fainted."

Silence.

The boys knew that Anzu was tough, but.....

She reluctantly continued on. "I had...a heat-stroke...and.."

"That's okay, Anzu, I'll take over from here." , Jou offered softly. With a nod from Anzu, he continued for her. "The teacher thought Anzu had some kind of disease, so he ordered everyone to clear out of the room and goto their next classes 5 minutes early. Because I was the closest one to her, teach ordered me to take her down here."

"Yeah, " Anzu added, "The teacher had already thought that you got whatever I had, and didn't want anyone to go near you, after you dozed off in class."

Yugi then understood perfectly. The teacher thought he was sick! So that's why the whole room was deserted when he woke up!

It was rather farfetched, but it made sense.

"Well, I'm glad you're all right Anzu.", Yugi said, absent-mindedly taking her hand.

Anzu looked down at their hands, then back upto Yugi with a rosy blush. "Um...yeah. I'm...I'm glad that you're all right too, Yugi."

At the rate this was going, Honda and Jou both suggested that they should take their leave now.

Yugi and Anzu had soon forgotten that they were there anyway.

"Um..Yugi.."

"Hm?"

"Well...uh...because of what happened, we both have to take our finals on the make up date."

"What!? But that's...Friday! That's four days from now!"

With a giggle, Anzu shook her head. "I know I know! But don't sweat it! We'll think of something" She started to feel a little light headed, and put a hand to her forehead.

Yugi inched closer, as if to be prompt in anything he could do to help, but all he was doing was taking up her share of oxygen. "Anzu..?"

"I'm fine, Yugi... Just a little dizzy.."

Aibou...Yami called out softly to Yugi.

/What? Yami, not now../

Listen to what I have to say! Anzu needs her space now. Let her rest.

/...../ Yugi didn't want to believe it, but he knew that Yami was right, and it was for the better.

"All right, Anzu. I'll leave you to your rest. And um...I'll come over to help you study with your finals. Is that okay?"

"Oh..okay. How about tomorrow? Is that okay?"

With a warm smile, Yugi nodded. "It's a date!"

--

oookay done with this chapter. dun worry, I've got it all planned out!

Again thank you for your support!

-Mel