Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Re-Discovering Innocence ❯ Day 4: Innocence part 1 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Day 4: Innocence

"I feel the magic all around you!!!!!! It's bringing me-e-e to my-y-y-y knee-e-es!!!"
Like a wannabe-- I've got to be chai-i-i-ned to you!!"

Yugi's uh....singsong voice rose and dropped with every changing note of the song, as he sang his heart out.

It was early Thursday morning, and it was his turn to do the laundry. While putting the clothes away, his mind got the thinking of Anzu again, and he just couldn't restrain himself as he burst out into---uh..."song"

" 'And when you looked into my eyes --felt a sudden sense of urgency
Fascination casts a spell and you became more than just a mystery
And I think about you all-l-l-l-l the t-i-i-ime!!!
I-i-i-s this fate, is it my DEStiNY?!!' "

Savage Garden again, huh? Now we know where Yami got it from.

. After taking care of that task, he danced and twirled into the kitchen, where his Grandpa was reading breakfast for the two of them.

The great aroma of scrambled eggs and steaming fruit drifted into the air, as Yugi pranced in and slipped into a seat.

As he reached for an apple in a bowl on the table, his grandfather was prompted to ask what that strange song was he was ---uh-- "singing".

"Yugi...?"

"Yes, Grandpa?" Yugi asked, looking upto his grandfather with innocent eyes. He took a bite out of the apple and continued to hum the melody.

Grandpa raised an eyebrow, as he turned down the heat on the stove, and wiped his hands with a dishtowel.

"Well, don't you sound happy this morning? What's that you're singing?"

"Havage Hargen.", Yugi replied between bites.

"What?"

"Savage Garden.", he corrected himself, wiping a bit of the juice from his lips as he chewed.

Grandpa simply blinked and shrugged at his grandson. "Well, whatever it is, it's a lot better than that 'Sailorgoon' junk that boy Jounouchi brings over here.

Yugi paused his song, to correct his elder. "That's Sailormoon, Grandpa"

"Whatever. Same difference."

Yugi snickered at this, then went back to humming his song while thinking of Anzu....

Just then, the phone to the front counter rang.

Without missing a beat, Yugi pushed himself away from the table, and flew over to the counter.

Jumping into the chair on his knees, he eagerly picked up the phone, and held it to his ear, while biting into the apple.

"Moshi-moshi?"

"Yu--Yugi?"

Yugi blinked at the disturbed sound in Jou's voice.

Placing the apple aside, Yugi shifted his weight in the chair until he sat in it correctly.

With deep concern clear in his voice, he answered his friend, "Jou? Jou what's wrong?"

Deep breathing came from the other end. Then slowly, Jou's voice returned, broken and raspy. "Yugi...Yugi I'm sorry."

Yugi was both disturbed and confused by this. What was Jou talking about? He hadn't done anything wrong----had he?

"Jou--?"

The strangely husky tones of his friend continued. Jou almost sounded pleadingly desperate.

"Yugi over here, please..?"

"Jou? Jou what's wrong?!"

"I'm sorry..."

>CLICK!<

"Yugi....who was it?" Grandpa asked, setting the table.

Shaken, Yugi hesitantly set the phone down, and jumped out of the chair.

No words were exchanged as Yugi grabbed a jacket and left out the door.

Once alone, Grandpa sadly shook his head, and resumed setting up breakfast.

He'd be eating alone this morning…

-Mel