Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ School of Magick ❯ Weapons Work ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, another chapter bites the dust! Hope you like!

WARNING: This is a YAOI (male/male relationship) fic! If you don't like it, then don't read it. The couples for now are Yami/Yuugi, Jounouchi/Mai, Honda/Shizuka, and Bakura/Ryou. There may be more later, we'll see.

Responses:

Tjau Motou: Well, Yami will be comfortable in a few more chapters. And to answer your question, yes this is a yaoi fic.

Princess Strawberry: I love Yami/Yuugi pairings too. They make such a cute couple, don't they? As for Bakura, he won't show up until after they leave the school and I've decided to make him a Shadowmancer and a necromancer.

Crystal: Glad you like my story! And here's another chapter for you!

Kye: Glad you like! As for what a necromancer is: they raise the dead using magick. So Bakura will be a shadowmancer but also a rogue wizard who had learned to raise the dead. Fits his personality, don't you think?

Sheyna: Glad you liked it. Here's another chapter for my loyal fans like you.

I Love Yugi and Davis: Interesting name! It's okay that you didn't review before. Don't worry about this being a crossover. It isn't. It's strictly Yugioh! Enjoy!

Mononoke: If my story sounds like Harry Potter it wasn't my intention. But I've noticed that I'm drawing a lot from Mercedes Lackey's (my favorite author) books and maybe some from HP. But it just sort of happened that way. Hope you keep enjoying the story!

YamiElfFromKemet: Yami will explain why he left Kami Academy later. I'm giving you little bits of what it was like now, but you'll see more later. As for Bakura, Shizuka, and Kaiba they'll show up a little later. Kaiba will come in before they leave the school and Shizuka and Bakura will come in afterwards.

stupid kid 04 and blah: Glad you like this! I like your stuff, too!

Rosz of the Angel: Glad you like. As for my quick updates, I just don't have a life so I write a lot. J

Silent-angel1413: I liked that bit, too! I was laughing when I thought of it. As for Malik and Y. Malik, I don't know yet. Maybe if I learn more about them.

Kitty-Yasha: Thanks for all of the great ideas! They're really helping me come up with more ideas for the story! Thanks for the compliment, too! I hope you keep reading and coming up with suggestions!

petite_angel: Glad you liked the shields, it took me a little while to figure out how I was going to describe them and I like the way it came out. We'll see Yami working on the shields later. Yami will be doing a lot more magick later.

Notes: //Yami to Yuugi// /Yuugi to Yami/ "Speaking" 'Thinking'

Disclaimer: Still don't own the show. So stop asking!

Enough notes! Here's chapter 7!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Chapter 7: Weapons Work

Yuugi led Yami across the courtyard and around the building that held the classrooms. On the other side they came upon another type of practice yard. This one designed for weapons practice. There was an archery range on the far side of a dirt practice ring. Yami was a little surprised at the well-maintained area.

They had both changed into faded gray, padded tunics and leggings. It wasn't really armor, but it would give them some protection from the dull practice blades. Yami assumed that helmets would be provided from the weapons shed or wherever they kept the weaponry.

Yuugi smiled up at him and spoke, "We're supposed to warm up on our own before the instructor gets here. I usually run and then wrestle with Ryou. I tried to wrestle with Jou and Honda, but they're too rough on me. Want to join me?"

Yami nodded, and they both started running. Yami chased Yuugi for a bit, then took the lead. He smiled, he usually didn't like physical exertion, but this was actually fun. Yuugi laughed and sprinted ahead of him, racing for the straw targets on the archery range. There were several other students also warming up; some running, some wrestling, and some just stretching.

Yuugi managed to reach the target first and he quickly shoved off of it and headed in the opposite direction, Yami only a second behind. 'No way am I going to lose to him.' Yami thought, putting on a burst of speed and overtaking Yuugi just as he reached the spot they had started from.

They both collapsed on the ground, panting. Yami took the time to look around as he was catching his breath. He saw Jounouchi and Honda fighting off to his left. 'It's probably a good thing that Yuugi doesn't wrestle with them.' He thought, wincing as Jounouchi managed to tackle Honda from the side, sending them both to the ground.

"Hey, Yuugi. Trying to break your record?" Ryou asked, coming up behind them.

"What record?" Yami asked, looking up at Ryou in puzzlement.

"My personal speed record. I usually don't run that fast for my warm-up. My best time running is about a minute and half. I think we just beat that by about thirty seconds." Yuugi replied, pulling himself to his feet.

Yami stood as well, dusting himself off, "Do Jounouchi and Honda always fight with each other?"

Yuugi and Ryou turned to look at the duo, who were rolling on the ground, trading insults and punches. Yuugi smiled and Ryou sighed in exasperation.

"Not always." Yuugi finally said, "They really are good friends. And they care about each other a lot."

"They just have a strange way of showing it." Ryou piped in.

Yami nodded and winced again as Honda got a solid hit in on Jounouchi. 'I hope they don't ever care about me that much.' Yami noticed a petite woman walking towards the practice ring and turned to look at her. She was thin, with the wiry frame of a dancer, and long red hair tied back in a tail. She looked to be in her thirties, and as she got closer Yami noticed an old scar on her right cheek. She smiled at the class, her blue eyes shining.

"Well, lets get started, shall we? Everyone, gather around and I'll tell you what equipment you'll be using today." She spoke softly but her voice carried easily to most of the people gathered.

Those who hadn't heard her quickly gathered around when they saw everyone else moving towards her. She waited until everyone was within earshot before turning to her right and starting to assign who would work on what.

"Rick, archery. Julian, sword. Krista, dagger . . ." She continued on until she reached Yuugi and his friends. "Ryou I want you on dagger. Jounouchi and Honda, sword. Yuugi, archery. Yami, I'm going to be testing you to see what you already know."

Yami nodded as she continued on. Once everyone had been told what they would be working on, they all split up to get their equipment from the equipment shed to the side of the practice ring. Yami stayed put, not sure as to what the instructor would want him to do first. He watched Yuugi, Jounouchi, Honda, and Ryou enter the shed and come out with their chosen weapon.

Honda had grabbed a broadsword that was almost as long as he was tall. Jounouchi had a longsword only a little shorter than Honda's weapon. Ryou had grabbed two small daggers. And Yuugi was carrying a quiver of arrows and a longbow almost as tall as he was. Yami almost laughed. There was no way that Yuugi could string the bow, let alone use it properly. A shortbow or crossbow would be more suited to his size. 'But I guess Yuugi knows what he's doing. He's probably been doing this for a while.'

"Yami." The instructor said, coming to his side. "My name is Mrs. Cartner. I teach the advanced weapons work classes. What experience have you had with weaponry?"

"I'm proficient with a sword. I can use a dagger, and my archery is passable." Yami replied honestly.

"Then I'd like to start you with the dagger. Then we'll try the sword and then archery. Shall we?" She gestured towards the shed.

Yami started over, glancing toward where Yuugi was preparing in front of his chosen target. Yami paused and watched as Yuugi took several arrows from the quiver and stuck them lightly into the ground next to his right foot. Then he took out the string for the bow. 'He'll never be able to string that.' Yami thought.

He smiled a little, then, his jaw dropped. Yuugi smoothly fitted the first loop of the string and then easily bent the other tip of the bow down to meet the second loop. The bow strung, Yuugi assumed his stance, feet shoulder width apart, left foot forward. He grabbed an arrow from the quiver and sighted on his target. He let the first arrow go and then grabbed the next from the ground.

Yami shook his head. 'He keeps surprising me. I guess I shouldn't underestimate him. He looks very sexy with a weapon . . .' Yami stopped at that thought and shoved it away. He quickly started toward the shed again. He searched until he found a dagger with the proper weight, then chose a sword and a shortbow and quiver.

Mrs. Cartner also chose a weapon for herself, wanting to test Yami herself rather than pairing him up with another student. They headed to an empty area of the practice ring and set their unneeded weapons to the side.

"Alright, we'll start with defense. I'll attack, you defend as best you can."

With no more warning than that she lunged at Yami. He quickly parried the attack, moving to the side. She cut at him again and again. He managed to parry most of the blows, though a few landed. Then she had him attack while she blocked. After she was satisfied with him, they moved on to the sword. They repeated the same steps as before, this time Yami had more success. He had always been better at swordfighting than knife work.

"Alright, that's enough. Not bad. You seem to be a natural with the sword. I think we'll stick with that. You knife work isn't bad either. Now, lets see how you do with archery."

They headed over to the archery range. Yami picked an empty target and strung his bow. Then he put five arrows point first into the ground by his foot and got into his stance. He grabbed an arrow from the quiver and sighted on the outer circle. He let the arrow fly and then grabbed one from by his foot, this time aiming for the middle circle. Once he had gone through all six arrows he stopped and turned to the teacher.

"Not bad. Not great, but not bad. We'll see about assigning you specific equipment. Alright, class is almost over, so why don't you retrieve your arrows then clean and put the equipment away."

Yami nodded and did as she had instructed. By the time he was finished the rest of the class was coming back in. They all cleaned the equipment and put it away. Yami waited for Yuugi, hoping that they had time for a bath before going to their last class. 'I don't think I would impress the teacher showing up looking and smelling like this.' He thought.

"Hey, Yami!" Yuugi said, coming up to him. "So, how did you do?"

"I'm not entirely sure. Mrs. Cartner told me my archery and knife work are okay and that I'd mainly be doing sword work. But I don't know if that's good or bad."

"Neither. You should be happy that she thinks your good enough with a sword to keep training you in it. I've tried it before and after a few lessons she basically told me to stick with dagger work or a shortsword. As for archery, bow is her favorite weapon, so if she didn't pick you apart then you did well." Yuugi replied, smiling up at him. "Now, how does a nice hot bath sound?"

"Great." Yami replied, smiling back at him.

"Well, if we don't hurry there won't be any hot water left. Let's go!"

They both took off toward their room! When they got there they grabbed clean clothes, then hurried down the hall to the bathing room. They managed to get there in time to get some of the hot water. There were already a few other students when they got there, but that was okay. Yuugi picked a tub and pulled the screen around it, giving himself some privacy. Then he poked his head back out and looked at Yami.

"Pick any tub you want. But don't take too long. We have about fifteen minutes until we have to get to our next class." Then he disappeared from view again.

Yami picked the tub next to Yuugi's and ran the water, letting the tub fill. He stripped and then got in, letting the heat relax his muscles. After a few minutes he grabbed some soap and scrubbed himself. When he was done he got out, drained the tub, and dried himself off with a towel from the stack next to the tub.

He could hear Yuugi getting out of the tub as well and strained his ears a little. He could just faintly hear the sound of cloth sliding on flesh. 'I wouldn't mind helping him.' He thought, then shook his head again. 'No, bad, Yami. Mustn't think such thinks about sexy Yuugi . . . there I go again.' He quickly dressed himself and pulled back the screen. He tossed his towel in the laundry chute and headed back to his room.

Yuugi showed up a minute later, this time dressed in a light blue tunic and gray leggings. Yami forced himself not to look at Yuugi as he sat down on his bed.

"So, Yuugi, what weapons do you like using?" Yami asked, trying to get his mind onto something else.

"I like the bow the best. I'm pretty good at archery. The dagger isn't bad either. I'm still trying to get the hang of the shortsword. It's different than the dagger 'cause it's longer. What about you?"

"I prefer the sword. Daggers are okay sometimes. My archery really needs work though. I have trouble hitting anything far away. I can't use the longbow at all."

"Oh. Well, if you ever want help, let me know." Yuugi replied.

Yuugi glanced over at Yami, eyeing his deep ruby outfit. It fit him like a second skin. 'It really shows off his muscles and well defined chest . . .' Yuugi jolted himself out of that line of thought. He stood up and moved towards the door.

"We should get to class, Yami."

Yami nodded and followed him down the hall.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

As always! Please review?!