Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ School of Magick ❯ Attack Skills ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

WARNING: This is a YAOI story. If you don't like it, then you don't have to read it. The pairings are: Yami/Yuugi, Honda/Shizuka, Bakura/Ryou, and Jounouchi/Mai.

Responses:

stupid kid 04 and blah: Thanks for the review.

agentpudge: Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you think my story is original.

Tjay Motou: Glad you like.

Trickster Priestess: Glad you like the classes. I think it would be fun to have classes like that in real life. Wouldn't school be easier if the classes were more interesting? Kaiba will show up a little later and I don't think Mokuba will be in this, but you never know. I could change my mind later.

Chibizoo: Glad you like this. I agree, most of the magic/occult stories are yaoi. As for my chapters being longer. I could make longer chapter, but then I wouldn't update as often. So it's a trade off.

Sheyna: Yep! Yami is really attracted to Yuugi and Yuugi is really attracted to Yami. They just aren't ready to admit it to themselves or each other yet. Bakura is still a ways off. But don't worry. He will show up.

Kye: I agree. The weapons do fit their personality. I tried to think about that as well as their size when picking weapons for them. Hope this chapter is up fast enough for you!

I luv Yugi and Kurt so: Well, there's a little bit of fluff now, but more will come up later. This is going to be a long story, so I don't want everything to happen to fast.

Shukuun: Glad you like the story and my descriptions. Thanks!

The Dark Star Goddess: Glad you like it! Here's another chapter for you!

Yami Calli: Glad you like this so much! Here's another chapter for fans just like you!

Rosz of the Angel: I'm really glad you like this so much! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Kenohkihi, raptor saiyjin: Well, if you don't want to read the story because it's yaoi, that's okay. But the yaoi isn't going to be really obvious, so you might want to give it a try anyway.

I love Yugi and Davis: Here's the next chapter for you!

Kitty-Yasha: I'm glad you find my story a relief from school. I hope you keep enjoying it.

Aluana: As you asked, here's the next chapter!

Disclaimer: I still don't own the show.

Notes: //Yami to Yuugi// /Yuugi to Yami/ "Speaking" 'Thinking'

Okay, here's chapter eight! Don't worry, things will pick up in a couple of chapters.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Chapter 8: Attack Skills

By the time they reached the practice yard most of the rest of the class was already there. Yami recognized Alexandra and Drago from Yuugi's group during Defense Skills and a few of the others he had seen in the other classes but he didn't know their names.

"There are actually six instructors for this class. One for each element so that the students can learn from someone who uses their element." Yuugi explained, smiling and waving at one of the girls who had called out to him. "Hey, Kaila!"

"Hey, Yuugi." She said, coming up to them. She glanced at Yami. "Whose your shadow?"

"Kaila, this is Yami." Yuugi introduced them. "Yami, this is Kaila. We pair up a lot when we mix elements. Kaila's a geomancer and she's really good."

Kaila blushed and shook her head. "Not as good as the child prodigy here."

"Child prodigy?" Yami asked, confused, as Yuugi blushed and looked away.

"You mean Yuugi didn't tell you?" Kaila asked, surprised. Then she smiled and said, "I guess that doesn't surprise me. He's really shy and doesn't like to brag. Right Yuugi?"

Yuugi looked up, obviously embarrassed, "Umm, yeah. Well, the teachers are here. We should get in our groups. Talk to you later Kaila!"

With that Yuugi grabbed Yami's hand and pulled him over to a group of five students who were waiting over to their right. Yami tried not to blush, but he liked having Yuugi hold his hand, even if it wasn't in an affectionate way. He forced away his disappointment when Yuugi dropped his hand as they reached the group.

Yami looked around; there was a group of six adults talking to each other a little ways away. Since the teacher didn't seem to be coming this way yet, he turned to Yuugi.

"Why did Kaila call you the Child Prodigy?"

Yuugi blushed again and looked at his feet in embarrassment. "Well, people started calling me that when I was moved up into the fourth level classes during my first year here. It's . . . kind-of embarrassing, but they keep calling me that. Don't worry about it."

Yami nodded and turned to face the adult who was approaching the group. It appeared that the pyromancer instructor was a middle-aged man with blonde hair and no beard. He was thin and muscular and obviously saw lots of exercise. He had a serious but friendly look on his face and his green eyes shown with kindness.

"That's Mr. Sumisu. He's really strict and a hard taskmaster, but he's really nice to. He doesn't push you any harder than he thinks you can handle." Yuugi whispered as the man approached.

"Good afternoon everyone." Mr. Sumisu called as he approached them.

His gaze drifted to Yami. "Ah. I see our new student is here. Welcome to the Academy Yami."

Yami simply nodded, a little embarrassed to be the center of attention. Mr. Sumisu smiled at him then turned the rest of the class.

"Alright. We're not going to learn anything new today. Instead I want you to partner off and we're going to have some light sparing. This time I'm not going to choreograph the spar. I want you to use what you know and see what works. Understand?"

Everyone nodded.

"Alright. Yami, I would like you to work with me for today. Everyone else, go ahead and pair up. And, since this is our first real free-style spar, I want you to use low power attacks. And remember to shield as well. You can use defensive moves if you know them, otherwise, work with what you know."

"See you after class Yami." Yuugi said, and walked over to a blonde boy.

"Yami," Mr. Sumisu said, coming up to him. "I want to see what know. So, we're going to have a little sparing session ourselves. Is that alright?"

Yami turned to him. "That's fine. Free-style or ordered?"

"Ordered. You'll be doing most of the attacking. I'll call out an attack and if you know it, show me."

Yami nodded and they moved off to the side. They stood a meter apart and Yami raised a low-level shield around himself. Then he waited for the teacher's instructions. This was one of the areas that he was probably ahead of everyone else. Kami Academy had focused mainly on attack techniques, so this shouldn't be too hard.

"Alright. Ready?"

Yami nodded. "Ready."

"Fireball!"

Yami formed a small ball of fire between his palms and hurled it at Mr. Sumisu. The teacher allowed his shields to absorb the hit and nodded his head.

"Firebolt!"

Yami again did as instructed. A flaming bolt of lightening streaked toward Mr. Sumisu and was again absorbed by his shields. He nodded again and called out another attack. Each time the attack got slightly more difficult until Yami was sure that they had passed what everyone else in the class knew.

He glanced around and saw that most of the spars consisted of fireballs, firerain, and flame sheets that surrounded the opponent. His gaze drifted to Yuugi and he smiled a little when he saw the boy cast a firebolt at his opponent that was absorbed easily by his opponent's shields. A sudden burning sensation on his right hand brought him back to what he was supposed to be doing.

He glanced down and realized that Mr. Sumisu had sent a low level fireball at him that had lightly grazed his shield and brushed his hand. The skin on the back of his hand was now red, but not badly burned. He glanced back up at Mr. Sumisu, who was smirking at him, and blushed. 'Never take your eyes off your opponent. How many times did I have that grilled into me at Kami?' He asked. 'I know better than that.'

"Ready?" Mr. Sumisu asked. "Or do you want to daydream some more?"

Yami growled, but nodded. They continued where they had left off.

Yuugi heard Mr. Sumisu chastising Yami for not paying attention and glanced over at them. Yami was currently building power for the more difficult version of firerain, flaming meteors. The meteors weren't easy to form without the help of a geomancer, but it was possible. Yuugi smiled as Yami sent the attack at Mr. Sumisu, who had to counter with a flame wall or be burned by the meteors. Apparently his shield wasn't strong enough to absorb the attack and he didn't want to reflect it back at Yami.

A bright flash in front of his drew his attention back to the fight at hand. Jeremy, his partner, had sent a fireball at him that had exploded on his shields. Luckily he hadn't been distracted enough to let his shield down. He shook his head and refocused his attention where it belonged. 'Watching Yami is not what your supposed to be doing' He told himself. 'Even if he is sexy when he's throwing fire around.' He shook his head again. 'No. Bad Yuugi. Stop thinking about him like that. You just met him last night for crying out loud!'

"Are we going to spar or just stare at each other?" Jeremy asked, smiling at him.

Yuugi shook his head again to clear it, then responded by calling a firestorm and sending it at Jeremy. The firestorm was designed to absorb and destroy shields. You couldn't absorb this attack. You had to banish it, hopefully before it ate all of your shields up. Jeremy was surprised for a moment, then gritted his teeth and destroyed the storm with a blast of pure power.

"Nice try. Now lets see you handle this!"

Yuugi just increased his shield to reflect the firebolt back at Jeremy. They continued on for about ten more minutes, then Mr. Sumisu called a halt. The whole class greatfully broke apart and several students slumped to the ground in exhaustion.

"Very good, all of you. I think that's enough for today. I know we usually have a few more minutes of class, but it looks like some of you are ready to collapse. So I'll see you tomorrow." With one last smile at them, he turned and headed towards the staff quarters.

"So, Yami, how did you make out?" Yuugi asked, walking up to the taller boy.

"Pretty well. He didn't say anything, but I think I impressed him. How about you? Who won?" Yami replied, smiling down at him.

"It was a tie. Neither of us was doing better than the other. So, we have about an hour before dinner, what do you want to do?"

"I've still got some energy left, want to spar with me?" Yami asked, looking hopeful.

"Umm." Yuugi looked unsure for a minute, then smiled. "Sure, but only for a few minutes."

"Fine by me." Yami replied, moving away and putting his shield back up.

They spared for about ten minutes, then Yuugi called a halt.

"I think that's enough for now. If we go much longer I won't be able to make it through dinner without falling asleep." He laughed and waited for Yami to agree before lowering his shield.

"I agree. I haven't done this much work, magickally or physically, for a while." Yami replied, letting his shield fall and turning toward the dorm building.

Yuugi followed him, thinking. 'Yami sure is strange. I wonder what Kami Academy is like. He doesn't seem to want to talk about it. But it couldn't have been that bad, could it? I guess it doesn't matter right now. He's definitely friendly. I think I'll enjoy getting to know him more. He doesn't seem to be a bad roommate either.'

"We still have about an hour before dinner, so we should probably study a little." Yuugi stated as he caught up to Yami at the door to the building.

"Sounds good to me." Yami replied.

He followed Yuugi down the hall, up the stairs, and to their room. Yuugi immediately sat down at his desk and opened his book for Magickal Theory. Starting the reading that they had been assigned. Yami sat down at his desk and pulled out his book to do the same, but was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Yami, since he was closer, stood and opened it. Yuugi looked up and smiled at Jounouchi, who was standing in the doorway, smiling at them.

"Hey, Jou!" Yuugi said, "Whatcha doing here?"

"I wanted to see if you'd help me with Elemental Theory. I didn't really pay attention in class, and, well . . ." Jounouchi smiled sheepishly and put a hand behind his head.

Yuugi shook his head, "Sure, Jou. But how about after dinner. I have to get this reading done for Magickal Theory."

"Sure. Thanks, Yuug!"

With that, Jounouchi dashed off down the hall to his own room. Yami shook his head, closed the door, and sat back down at his desk.

"Is he always like that?" He asked, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

"No, not always. He just has trouble paying attention. Tends to daydream in class." Yuugi replied, smirking at Yami.

Yami shook his head and bit back a retort. 'I wasn't daydreaming. I was watching you.' He thought, but he didn't dare say it out loud.

They both turned back to their reading until the bell rang, signaling dinner. Yuugi put a bookmark in his spot and closed the book. Yami copied him and they both headed downstairs to the dinning hall.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well, all of the classes are done now and the first day is almost over. Please review! They help me write faster!

P.S. I'm going to start a mailing list for this fic. If you want to be on it, just leave your email address in a review or send it to me via email.