Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Secret Of The Circle ❯ Duelist ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own YGO or anything in it. I do however own the Millennium Circlet *holds up hand* see! And I own Mariasha and Elasha...in as much as anyone could own Mariasha ¬.¬.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~*

Secret of the Circlet: Part 2

It began as any night. The rituals to open the realms were preformed and the games commenced. The undercurrent of the kingdom has seemed steady. No one suspected Seth's betrayal. I know I was blinded by my childish crush, but to this day I can not explain how it slipped past the ever seeing eyes of my brother. When he stepped forward to challenge the king, a collective gasp permeated the room.

Many loyal to the pharaoh fell before Seth and his own followers. In the chaos I was able to slip out of the dueling chamber and back to the palace. In my admiration for my brother I had been experimenting with my mother's necklace and attempting to call upon her most cherished monster, the Red Eyes Black Dragon. I had hoped to one day prove myself in the duels and gain the favor of my brother, if not the sight of the high priest.

I had not, as my sister believed, resigned myself to the fate of some political marriage. Though I knew I found favor in the eyes of the fair haired, eastern prince my brother had chosen for me, I did not wish to leave Yami's side. I wanted to be worth something to my big brother.

Inside my chambers I quickly dawned the garb of a dueling priestess and added a veil to hide my face until I had made my challenge. Clasping the Tauk about my neck, I made my way to back to the fighting.

The scene in the chamber was chilling, despite the desert heat. Few people remained standing on either side. I knew that if I didn't do something soon, this would all come down to Seth and my brother. Two people I did not wish to lose.

Slipping into the thinning ranks, I waited till my turn would come. When it did I tried to banish my emotions as Mariasha had taught me to do for political matters. Still, with a breaking heart I shouted my challenge.

I had somewhat expected my sister's scream when my veil was removed, but what Seth did nearly crushed me. He laughed. He laughed because he believed me to be no challenge. I never did see what my brother did. My eyes fixed themselves only upon the desire of my heart and the threat to my family.

I summoned monster after monster and watched as each was crushed beneath Seth's sandal. I hadn't even a fraction of Seth or my brother's skill, yet I fought on to protect what was dear to me. Finally, with miniscule life points left and having been unable to make the sacrifice necessary to summon my mother's beloved dragon, I fell to my knees, head bowed, waiting for the end to come.

I was shocked when I felt a tug from behind. I opened my eyes to see Mariasha dragging me from the dueling field as my brother, the Pharaoh Yami, stepped forward to face the head priest face to face. Before turning to battle, he shot me a look I never forgot. In his own silent way, he told me how much he did care for me. In that instant we were closer than ever we had been or ever would be again.

Praying to every deity of every pantheon I knew, I watched as two of the most important people to me fought for control of the world. Monster after monster faced off between the duelists. Nether one seemed able to take any ground over the other. Even my brother's cherished Dark Magician and Seth's beloved Blue Eyes were not enough. Nothing could have prepared me for when Seth pulled forth his rod and summoned a thing of hushed whispers and heart stopping fear. Obelisk the Tormentor.

The very existence of such monsters was mere legend till then. My own mother had told me the stories, but till then I had believed them mere fairy tales meant to scare little princesses into being good. Never had I believed such power could exist. But apparently, Yami had known. For his next move sent chills up my spine. He summoned Slifer the Sky Dragon.

The next few moments seemed to freeze in time. Both Duelists attack at one. Blinding light filled the chamber and each of the items began to glow with unearthly radiance. Burning heat engulfed my neck, so I tore to Tauk from me and threw it as far as I could. When it hit the floor, the ring that had once hung below the eye come off, still giving off an eerie light.

Despite my warning cry, Mariasha reached forward to grab the small gold circle. The instant her hand touched it, her eyes grew vacant and her body fell forward, dead. Panic stricken, my eyes flew to my brother. He too lay staring into nothingness.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~*

A/N: Looks like I'm going to a third chapter. ^__^ Sorry Tia!