Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Stranger of the Duel ❯ Confrontations ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or any of it's character, but I do own my original characters… so don't steal them from me! Please…

Confrontations

Cali ran back to the Kaiba mansion. I've got to get out of here! How can I continue staying here if he…loves me? I like him, too, but not enough to call it love, I guess. Why does he have to love me? I hate it when people trust me, because I don't put faith in them in return. What if I ever have to…I don't know, DO SOMETHING to him? What if he has a millennium item? When I steal from him…ugh, I can just imagine the look he'll give me. He'll hate me! Why do I get myself into these things? I know why…If I have any hope of getting my Papa back…I have to find what Pegasus was talking about.

Cali was lying on her back the next morning, staring at the ceiling, when the doorbell rang. Cali didn't worry about it; it was probably a visitor for Seto. Why do I call him Seto? I should call him Kaiba; it's less personal. Or I could just not call him anything when I talk to him, if I have to talk to him.

Actually, the visitor was Serenity, here to see Cali. A maid led her to Cali's room, and knocked softly, then left.

"Come in."

Serenity opened the door quite violently, and stormed into the room. Cali sat up, surprised. She had never spoken to Joey's little sister.

"YOU BITCH!" Serenity screamed.

Cali simply got off the bed and stood next to Serenity. She had her game face on, determined to be so distant with everyone so that no one would ever trust her.

"Do you have a problem?"

"YES, IT'S YOU, CALI!"

"Forgive me if I'm mistaken; it's Serenity, right?"

Serenity cooled down just long enough to nod her head.

"So tell me, Serenity…what exactly have I done?"

"YOU MUST KNOW!"

Cali raised an eyebrow.

"You've been going out with Seto, right?" Serenity said, in a tone of voice one would use with a kindergartner.

"I wouldn't really call our relationship romantic,"

"Oh, really? Then why did we JUST see Seto, totally brokenhearted, last night at the park? He really wasn't himself, and didn't deny it when we asked if he was having issues with you. Come on, we all know you've been going out… I can't believe you would just dump like that!"

"What? I didn't dump him!"

"So you two have been dating?" Serenity asked slyly.

"No! ugh! Listen to me, Serenity; I'll tell you what happened."

"Good, because Seto wouldn't tell us."

"Seto and I have not been dating, but I'm afraid I haven't really…well, rejected him completely."

"What?"

"You know how you feel when you really connect with a guy?" Cali asked, dropping her executive manner.

"Totally!" Serenity said, thinking of all that time with Tristan in the hospital.

"Both of you know it, but you let it kind of sit there…you know, hoping he'll ask you out…"

"Yeah…"

"So this was Seto and I for a while, but I never wanted to get into a relationship with him…I'm a busy girl, with Scizoran Enterprises, and getting the…never mind…The point is, I shouldn't have led him to believe I liked him too. Last night, at the park, Seto told me he loved me, and I'm afraid my reaction was a little…harsh."

"What did you do to him?" Serenity's anger was returning.

"Cool it, I didn't do anything to him, I just kind of…well, denied his feelings toward me, and ran away. I didn't give a reason or anything, I just acted like I didn't believe him and left."

"Wow, I would collapse too, if it happened to me…"

"What do you mean?"

"When we found Seto, he was just sitting in the mud by the north lake banks…"

"That's where we were talking."

"Yeah, well, I think he was sitting there for a long time; the mud on him was starting to dry a little. You wouldn't believe it even if you saw it. He looked so sad…so defeated. No one has ever seen him like that. No one. He looked like…like he lost Mokuba or his Blue Eyes or something. And you know what? YOU CAUSED IT! Seeing someone normally so strong, suddenly slouched over, broken-backed…ugh! It's so despairing and it just takes away hope in the world! AND YOU DID IT! YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU!" Serenity shouted these last words, poking Cali's shoulders rather hard.

"Are you sure this happened? I can't imagine him like that."

"EXACTLY! THIS IS WHAT YOU DID TO HIM!"

"It's hard to believe that. Maybe something else happened, maybe there was a problem with Kaiba Co…"

"NO! IT WAS YOU! AND YOU'D BETTER GO TO HIM AND APOLOGIZE OR SOMETHING, BECAUSE NOBODY CAN STAND TO SEE HIM THIS WAY!"

"I thought your group hated him."

"WE DO!"

"So then why-"

"WE DON'T HATE HIM THAT MUCH! WE DON'T WANT HIM TO GO THROUGH SO MUCH SUFFERING AS HE IS!!! NOW GO! TALK TO HIM RIGHT NOW!" and with that, Serenity left, slamming the door behind her.

Cali fell back onto the bed. He'll get over it. Matters of the heart aren't important in the real world. I know that full enough, and he should too. We have businesses to run.

The phone rang, interrupting her thoughts. Cali let a maid get it, but a minute later the light on her phone turned on. The house had so many rooms there were many separate lines, like a hotel.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Uhh…Cali? It's Joey…"

"Oh, hey, Joey. I was just talking to your sister."

"You were? I'm sorry right now for whatever she said to you…"

"Has she been really upset lately?"

"Yeah, you know, that whole mess with Kaiba…"

"It's not really a mess…"

"Really, because he looked pretty messy, and not just cause he was sitting in the mud…"

"Why are you calling, Joey?"

"Well, I was wondering if, well, if something happened to him to make him this way."

"You mean if I did something to him…?"

"No, Serenity just jumped to that conclusion… I want to know what it really is…"

"Joey, it was me. I had no idea how broken up he would be…I think I'll go talk to him."

"Yeah, bye, Cali."

"Hey, thanks for being so nice. I mean, your sister, no offense, was a little mean to me. I didn't even know that Seto was so depressed."

"Talk to you later."

Cali got up from the bed, and put on some different clothes. If she was going to go to Kaiba Co., she had better look professional. She called for her chauffer on her cell and drove to the tall building.

Seto was looking out one of his office windows, thinking about Cali, instead of doing, well, anything. After that night in the park, he had come to his office, not home. He didn't want to see Cali, afraid of himself. He really didn't want to yell and shout at her…I just thought, you know, that she felt the same way… I guess it has to do with that whole trust thing…I really thought she trusted me though. He did have a change of clothes at the office, in case he got a stain or something, but they were really wrinkled, since he'd slept in them. His hair was messy, and back sore. He wasn't used to sleeping on the couch. Not that he got much sleep, however. He was too busy thinking about Cali. Seto glanced down, just as a long black limo pulled up. What? I didn't think I had any meetings today…He couldn't see much from so high up, but he thought he saw a flash of blue hair and a black business suit. Cali has blue hair, but it can't be her. Why would she come to see me? She hates me. Seto buzzed down to his secretary.

"Do I have a meeting today?"

"Not that I know of, Mr. Kaiba,"

"Don't let anyone up to see me."

"Okay, Mr. Kaiba."

Seto dropped onto long white couch, turning on his wall sized tv, bringing up the security cams. It's her! Well, she can't come up to see me. He watched Cali push past the receptionist. I wonder what she wants. She's not normally so violent… Seto switched to the camera in the elevator. Ok, well, I guess she is coming to see me. Probably wants to apologize. Well, I won't have it. She can't just assume that I'll take her now that she's ready.

Cali finally reached Seto's office. I can't believe Seto is so depressed. Serenity must be exaggerating. She knocked on the door. When there was no answer, she got angry. She knew he was in there.

"Seto, open the door."

No answer.

"SETO!"

Why is she so mad? Probably just eager to see me…He opened the door, smirking.

She gasped as she saw him, face dirty, hair messed up, clothes wrinkled.

"Hmm…Come to see me, Cali?" He asked, in his business manner. "Decided you really do want my love? Well, too bad, I'm not giving it."

"That's not why I came, Seto."

"Oh, really? Then why did you come?"

"Serenity came over to see me."

"Great."

"She said you were really upset; I couldn't believe it. I came here to see if it was true."

"Humph."

"What's with you, Seto? You would never let someone do this to you."

"Yeah, well, I did."

"I thought you were stronger than this, but I guess not. I didn't think you were so… flimsy. You know, I liked you for your strength of mind, but now that I've seen what a baby you can be, well…." She said, turning for the door, disgusted.

"Wait, Cali, please."

"No! I'm not going to wait… I have a business to run, and so do you. By the way, I have bought my own apartment here in Domino City, so I'm moving out." She flung a card at him. "Contact me if you ever Scizoran Enterprises services."

Cali left. I can't believe he was like that. He was so weak…His mean, executive side…is it all just a front? Love…what a silly waste of time…I have other things that need to get done.

Seto watched her look up at his office, then turn her back, entering her car. Then she drove away. He looked at her white card. She said she liked me…maybe if I had just let things be as they were, I wouldn't be here alone. What's happened to me? If I hadn't gotten so soft, I wouldn't have blurted those three damn words! Then we would be together. >No we wouldn't< interrupted that nasty other conscience. >If I hadn't told her, then she would've never known. At least this way, I had a chance, making a fool of myself too, by the way. So! It's better this way.< Seto called for his driver and went home, changing into some clean clothes. I love you. I love you. I love you. His own voice rang in his head. How could I love her? She's right, I have Kaiba Corporation to run. I don't have time for a relationship. sigh So why do I still love her?

At school during the next week, Seto was back to his old self. Well, on the outside, anyway. Inside, he was just as depressed, glancing over at Cali whenever he got the chance. She never looked at him. Cali had buried her own slight feelings for Seto deep into her soul. She knew that she could never trust, and that she would probably never fully love anyone. Besides Daddy. I love you, Daddy. She reached for her necklace, the one she always wore, and felt the blue and red pouch. It was comforting to her, after wearing it for so long. I can never lose this. I need it to succeed in my plan. It was the microchip.

Later that day, Cali stayed after school. She needed to have an important business meeting the next day, and it would cut into school hours, so she discussed this with her teacher. After leaving, she walked around behind the school. It was closer to the road she had instructed for her driver to pick her up.

Yugi and Tea were there, making out. They didn't see Cali.

"Yugi, can you move your puzzle?"

"Why?"

"It pokes me, and it kind of hurts…"

"Well, I guess so. Only if you kiss me again!" They said, and then resumed kissing.

Aww, how cute…and stupid, Yugi. There was no way she could get the puzzle right now, but it did give her a plan… Obviously Yugi likes Tea, but the spirit acted like he wanted me before, when he was teaching me to play Duel Monsters…I wonder if he still does…